ADVERTISEMENT

Updated NET Rankings

Pitt2006

Sophomore
Jun 19, 2018
Pitt is up to 69, which is +10 from before the road win at UNC. Still plenty of chances to improve this ranking. Winning on the road is a must for NIT or bubble consideration. The win over Rutgers keeps looking better. I hope Toney can come back soon. A win against Miami would be another top 100 road win. Will be difficult, but can be done if this team focuses and plays team ball like the second half last night.

Hoping that Northwestern and KSU win some more games in their respective conferences. The top half of the ACC can be had, that's for sure.

I am hoping for the NCAA, just the overall weakness of the NCAA makes me think 12-8 is a must for NCAA. In most years that would be a sure lock, but depending on who we beat that is why I mentioned NIT.

I am hoping for the NCAA, just the overall weakness of the NCAA makes me think 12-8 is a must for NCAA. In most years that would be a sure lock, but depending on who we beat that is why I mentioned NIT.

Due to the weakness of the ACC this year, I would guess:

13-7 = NCAAT
12-8 = bubble
11-9 = need to make a run in Greensboro
10-10 = NIT
9-11 = NIT
8-12 = need to win 2 in Greensboro to make NIT
7-13 = nothing

12-8 is more than enough. Regardless of the strength of the ACC. College hoops as a whole is down this year - therefore it's all relative. If you win 9 games in the ACC you're in.

Due to the weakness of the ACC this year, I would guess:

13-7 = NCAAT
12-8 = bubble
11-9 = need to make a run in Greensboro
10-10 = NIT
9-11 = NIT
8-12 = need to win 2 in Greensboro to make NIT
7-13 = nothing

every conference is down this year. it's all relative. 10-10 gets you 19+ wins. That's enough for the NCAAT. Puts you in the top 6-8 in the ACC.

Current resume:

Q1: Florida State (W), West Virginia (L), Louisville (L), Rutgers (W)
Q2: Kansas State (W), UNC (W)
Q3: Northwestern (W), Wake Forest (L), Nicholls (L)
Q4: 6-0 (the rest of the schedule)

UNC and RMU have the possibility to jump up a slot from Q2 and Q4 wins, respectively, since they were on the road. RMU is #265 right now, and they could sneak inside the top 240; UNC is #106, and could sneak inside the top 75. Northwestern is solidly inside the 100-200 range, and Kansas State could slip back into being a Q3, too. Nicholls is going to continue to be a thorn in the side as a borderline Q3/Q4 team if they drop down, but Wake should stick around as a Q3 game.

Good shot for another borderline Q1/Q2 road win against #90 Miami this weekend. Would be huge if they're able to snag that one.

Guys forget total wins and even conference wins. It's Quad 1 and 2 wins that matter and avoiding Q3 and Q4 losses which we have a couple right now. The way the ACC is this year. Seven teams look like they will be in Q3 which means a win doesn't help you get in but a loss can hurt. And only 4 teams will probably be Q1 and Q2 teams. FSU win is great but won't overcome the Nichols loss. Need at least 3 more wins against Duke, Louisville, VT, FSU or VA while avoiding losses to Clemson, UNC and BC. Clemson and NCST had 9 conference wins last year and didn't get in even though the ACC was tough. Problem for them was they beat up on the bottom feeders while losing most of the games they played against ACC's best.

every conference is down this year. it's all relative. 10-10 gets you 19+ wins. That's enough for the NCAAT. Puts you in the top 6-8 in the ACC.
So true. Ohio State was ready to accept the NCAA title right up until they lost 3 straight. First in Ohio to WVU, in Columbus to Wisconsin and in Maryland to the Twerps.
PSU lost to Rutgers.

Reactions: Straight Eye Larry
not sure why we are so concerned with the NIT.. i keep seeing people point that out.. we are 6-7 wins away from the NCAAT. It's a real possibility.

Just my expectation. The expectation is based on where we were 2 yrs ago and the youth on our team. If we make the tourney I will be psyched. We make the NIT I will be pleased. We progress, which it looks like we are and miss all tourneys, I am ok.

Reactions: jctrack and TWPitt
Just my expectation. The expectation is based on where we were 2 yrs ago and the youth on our team. If we make the tourney I will be psyched. We make the NIT I will be pleased. We progress, which it looks like we are and miss all tourneys, I am ok.

at this point it'd be a huge disappointment to not make the NIT. The progress to this point has been great, but the team would have to regress a decent amount to not make the NIT - and that would be frustrating to say the least.

at this point it'd be a huge disappointment to not make the NIT. The progress to this point has been great, but the team would have to regress a decent amount to not make the NIT - and that would be frustrating to say the least.

IMHO, we are still one year away from an NIT bid or making the NCAAT bubble.

At the moment, my expectation continue at about getting 6 more ACC wins to get to 17-14 before the ACCT and for no post ACCT play. As that would represent solid progress over last season, I will not be dissatisfied if such is the outcome.

Reactions: jctrack and TWPitt
IMHO, we are still one year away from an NIT bid or making the NCAAT bubble.

At the moment, my expectation continue at about getting 6 more ACC wins to get to 17-14 before the ACCT and for no post ACCT play. As that would represent solid progress over last season, I will not be dissatisfied if such is the outcome.

6 more ACC wins would make a great case for an NIT bid.

6 more ACC wins would make a great case for an NIT bid.

Only if we weren't in the ACC, IMHO. Probably requires a minimum of 19-20 wins for an ACC team to get an NIT bid due to NIT selection "politics" favoring mid-majors with over 20 wins and without NCAAT bids over major conference teams with less than 20 wins.

Just my opinion, however.

Only if we weren't in the ACC, IMHO. Probably requires a minimum of 19-20 wins for an ACC team to get an NIT bid due to NIT selection "politics" favoring mid-majors with over 20 wins and without NCAAT bids over major conference teams with less than 20 wins.

if we get 19-20 total we will be in the NCAAT

Probably requires a minimum of 19-20 wins for an ACC team to get an NIT bid... Sorry, but that is an absurd statement...

Reactions: Straight Eye Larry
Last year, Clemson (19-13, 9-9) and NC State (22-11, 9-9) were the ACC invitees to the NIT. The year before, Boston College (19-16, 7-11), Louisville (22-14, 9-9), and Notre Dame (21-15, 8-10) made it. In 2017, Clemson (17-16, 6-12), Georgia Tech (21-16, 8-10), and Syracuse (19-15, 10-8) made it.

For Pitt, I would think that going 7-9 down the stretch here to finish 18-13, 9-11 would be solid NIT territory. Even 6-10 to finish 17-14, 8-12 might do it with a win or so in the ACC tournament.

I saw some Vegas futures that came out today for who will win the NIT. UNC had the best odds at 12-1. There were at least 50 teams listed and Pitt wasn’t one of them. I’m not sure if that’s a good or a bad sign.

Last year, Clemson (19-13, 9-9) and NC State (22-11, 9-9) were the ACC invitees to the NIT. The year before, Boston College (19-16, 7-11), Louisville (22-14, 9-9), and Notre Dame (21-15, 8-10) made it. In 2017, Clemson (17-16, 6-12), Georgia Tech (21-16, 8-10), and Syracuse (19-15, 10-8) made it.

For Pitt, I would think that going 7-9 down the stretch here to finish 18-13, 9-11 would be solid NIT territory. Even 6-10 to finish 17-14, 8-12 might do it with a win or so in the ACC tournament.

That was when the ACC was much stronger top to bottom. This year it isn’t.

There are no politics involved in those mid major teams getting NIT bids. The NCAA passed a rule a few years back that if a team wins it's league during the regular season, but doesn't earn a bid to the NCAAs, they get an automatic bid to the NIT. The rest of the field is filled using a continuation of the criteria used to fill the NCAA field.

There are no politics involved in those mid major teams getting NIT bids. The NCAA passed a rule a few years back that if a team wins it's league during the regular season, but doesn't earn a bid to the NCAAs, they get an automatic bid to the NIT. The rest of the field is filled using a continuation of the criteria used to fill the NCAA field.

Semantics, Or, just a past politically motivated NCAA decision. I have always personally disliked any team getting in for whatever reason if it leaves a better team out of the post-season.

So really the NIT is:

- 15 teams who never would have made it before

- 1st Four Out

- Next Four Out

9 more teams

Inotherwords, if you aren't somewhat close to the NCAAT bubble, you arent making the NIT

The rest of the field is filled using a continuation of the criteria used to fill the NCAA field.

Of the 22 at large teams in the NIT last season 14 were from the P6 conferences, and two of the others were from the American. And two of the others were from the A10. There were really only four of the 22 from mid-major type leagues, two from the Southern, one from the WCC and one from the MAC.

In 2018 there were 20 at large teams and 15 of them were from the P6. The other five were one from the American, two from the WCC, one from the Mountain West and one from C-USA.

Of the 22 at large teams in the NIT last season 14 were from the P6 conferences, and two of the others were from the American. And two of the others were from the A10. There were really only four of the 22 from mid-major type leagues, two from the Southern, one from the WCC and one from the MAC.

In 2018 there were 20 at large teams and 15 of them were from the P6. The other five were one from the American, two from the WCC, one from the Mountain West and one from C-USA.
There you have it. The at large bids are pretty much all P6, with the rest from the second level leagues. It's nearly impossible for teams from the one bid leagues to get a bid. I have no problem with a handful of have nots having their day in the sun. Robert Morris would have never gotten to play those games where they beat Kentucky, and the following year beat St. John's on the road without that rule. If you're in a P6 league, or one of the other multi bid leagues like the A10, and you're not one of the 20 best also rans that ain't dancing, go sit down and shut up. You don't deserve a bid. Those schools have massive advantages, and if they can't be one of basically the 70 best teams, I don't feel sorry for you. If you really need to play, go win the CBI like Pitt did.

Reactions: srpst23
I just can’t believe we’re having these conversations in year two of the Capel Era, especially what they’ve been through the past three seasons.

I really want to nitpick and say “if only they beat these teams...” but at this point I’m just stoked for the rest of the season and what’s at stake. Hopefully we can keep it up. We definitely have a chance.

I love that I love watching Pitt basketball again! :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT