ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer to the NFL?

Las Panteras

All Conference
May 11, 2014
Reports that 2 teams have reached out.

Lions?

Jaguars?

Is Urban Meyer that college coach that could win in the league?

Do you think he has NFL interest?

Harder to cheat and he won't have the best team each year, flip a coin. I think he has the right demeanor not sure if he can be the little person in the room. College coaches have much more power and influence

One thing about him is that he would be very prepared for game day and wouldn’t make many mistakes with clock management and time outs lie some of these other pro coaches do.

Reports that 2 teams have reached out.

Lions?

Jaguars?

Is Urban Meyer that college coach that could win in the league?

Do you think he has NFL interest?
His ❤️ won’t hold up in the NFL. He can’t “control” a program & players like he did in college.

He’s not that stupid. If he wants to coach again he can take his pick of top college jobs and there’s a lot of wealthy major schools that would break the bank to get him.

No kidding.
Your post stated “he’s not THAT stupid” which usually implies a base level of stupidity.
I simply responded to your statement.
I’m one of the few people on here who have actually met him and his family and have watched him work outside of the games.
He is not a friend nor would I want him as a friend. He and I are much different people, but if I want my team to get the most out of their abilities, he’s my first call.
Remember that he went 11-0 with the same Ohio State players that went 6-6 the year before.
As to cheating all I can tell you is that a man like him has enemies. Enemies will do whatever they can to hurt you so if Urban has cheated you have to ask yourself “why” his enemies have not turned him in.
Maybe the answer can be found in the old adage that people in glass houses ought not to throw stones.

Your post stated “he’s not THAT stupid” which usually implies a base level of stupidity.
I’m one of the few people on here who have actually met him and his family and have watched him work outside of the games.
He is not a friend nor would I want him as a friend. He and I are much different people, but if I want my team to get the most out of their abilities, he’s my first call.
Remember that he went 11-0 with the same Ohio State players that went 6-6 the year before.
As to cheating all I can tell you is that a man like him has enemies. Enemies will do whatever they can to hurt you so if Urban has cheated you have to ask yourself “why” his enemies have not turned him in.
Maybe the answer can be found in the old adage that people in glass houses ought not to throw stones.

They’re probably cheating too. He’s just better at it with more resources.

And I guess this interest indicates he’s “healthy”. Again.

Reactions: Saboteur II
Jacksonville is an awful franchise. Everyone was so concerned about Lawrence going to the Jets thinking that was a bad situation they forgot the Jaguars are even worse. 16 finishes below .500 in their 26-year existence and only 1 winning season since 2008--averaging 4.9 wins per season during that stretch. I don't see Urban going there.

It's a common expression not intended to be taken literally, like "not that crazy". I think everyone that follows college football, even the rabid anti-B10 crowd on this board, regardless of whether they like him or not, knows that Urban is a smart, serious, driven coach whose competence has never been in question.

Jacksonville is an awful franchise. Everyone was so concerned about Lawrence going to the Jets thinking that was a bad situation they forgot the Jaguars are even worse. 16 finishes below .500 in their 26-year existence and only 1 winning season since 2008--averaging 4.9 wins per season during that stretch. I don't see Urban going there.
Agree--and hopefully Lawrence refuses to go there as well. Crappy small media market and no national brand plus lousy team = unremarkable career.

I thought I read a report a few weeks ago that Texas was looking at him to possibly replace Herman, but he wasn't interested due to a medical condition?

I think Urban is smart enough that he could adapt his personality to dealing with NFL players. I personally, would love to see him go to the Chargers with Herbert and all that talent they have. It’s honestly quite amazing how bad the Chargers are with the talent that they have.

I think Urban is smart enough that he could adapt his personality to dealing with NFL players. I personally, would love to see him go to the Chargers with Herbert and all that talent they have. It’s honestly quite amazing how bad the Chargers are with the talent that they have.

meyer will be saban and spurrier 2.0 in the nfl

The Jaguars are a terrible franchise. They need to try something different.

I don't know if Urban is a good fit for the NFL, but I am very interested to see how he translates. It's a risky move for the Jags as they're about to draft their franchise QB.

It's definitely an outside the box hire. One that may help boost some local ticket sales.

Just my opinion, I'd say it's a recipe for disaster. But they have a lot of draft picks and I assume Trevor Lawerence coming in. They have already cratered. So he has really nowhere to take them but up.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
NFL has a salary cap . Florida and O$U don’t have those restrictions plus he won’t have 10 cupcake games like college.
True. But he is smart and shrewd and loves to win. Nothing you wrote contradicts anything I wrote.
Plus, if you look at his career he won big at Bowling Green and kicked our ass with a Utah squad recruited by a coach whose name no one knows.

The reason why college coaches almost never translate to the NFL - Harbaugh is considered a "good" one and he only had 3 quality seasons in the NFL - is obvious. In college, they have as much or more talent than the other teams they play. Then they win using that better talent, are considered "good" and go to the NFL.

In the NFL, they have as much or less talent than the other team. There's only so much coaching genius you can do when the other team is better than you everywhere.

Meyer is a particularly egregious example of this. His teams at Ohio State were unbelievably stacked: Carlos Hyde, Zeke Elliott, JK Dobbins, Michael Thomas, Terry McLaurin, Curtis Samuel, Parris Campbell, about 5 OL that are starting in the NFL, both Bosa brothers, Ryan Shazier, Darron Lee, Marshawn Lattimore, Gareon Conley, Denzel Ward, Jeff Okudah, Malik Hooker. On defense alone that's 9 first round picks, which is 9 times as many first round picks as the Jaguars are going to have every year.

I'm not saying that Meyer isn't a great coach, he obviously is. But it's a matter of fact that he's played with way more talent than the competition for the last 15 years. Not to mention he's now quit twice. He's not someone I would put my faith in to turn around an NFL franchise.

The reason why college coaches almost never translate to the NFL - Harbaugh is considered a "good" one and he only had 3 quality seasons in the NFL - is obvious. In college, they have as much or more talent than the other teams they play. Then they win using that better talent, are considered "good" and go to the NFL.

In the NFL, they have as much or less talent than the other team. There's only so much coaching genius you can do when the other team is better than you everywhere.

Meyer is a particularly egregious example of this. His teams at Ohio State were unbelievably stacked: Carlos Hyde, Zeke Elliott, JK Dobbins, Michael Thomas, Terry McLaurin, Curtis Samuel, Parris Campbell, about 5 OL that are starting in the NFL, both Bosa brothers, Ryan Shazier, Darron Lee, Marshawn Lattimore, Gareon Conley, Denzel Ward, Jeff Okudah, Malik Hooker. On defense alone that's 9 first round picks, which is 9 times as many first round picks as the Jaguars are going to have every year.

I'm not saying that Meyer isn't a great coach, he obviously is. But it's a matter of fact that he's played with way more talent than the competition for the last 15 years. Not to mention he's now quit twice. He's not someone I would put my faith in to turn around an NFL franchise.
A deeper look into the body of work helps.
Urban took a BG squad that went 2-9 the year before he arrived to 8-3 and 9-3 records the next 2.
He then took a Utah squad that went 5-6 the year before to a 10-2 then 12-0 record.
Upon arriving at Ohio State his team went 11-0. The previous season they had been 6-6.
The man knows how to maximize talent. I’ll venture that he does the same thing in the NFL.
That can only help Jacksonville. Super Bowl titles? That’s a tall task for any coach.
But Jacksonville got much better yesterday and they have the same players.

Last edited:
Urban took a BG squad that went 2-9 the year before he arrived to 8-3 and 9-3 records the next 2.
He then took a Utah squad that went 5-6 the year before to a 10-2 then 12-0 record.
Upon arriving at Ohio State his team went 11-0. The previous season they had been 6-6.
The man knows how to maximize talent. I’ll venture that he does the same thing in the NFL.
That can only help Jacksonville. Super Bowl titles? That’s a tall task for any coach.

Don't disagree but Bowling Green was literally 20 years ago. Utah was 18 years ago. Is his tenure at some college program during the September 11th attacks really relevant to predicting his performance as an NFL coach in 2021? I tend to weight more recent performance more heavily. And UF and Ohio State are both blue chip programs and were not turnaround jobs (UF was ranked in 2004 and OSU is always a powerhouse, 1 bad season notwithstanding). And again, he left both of those places almost immediately when faced with personal/professional adversity.

Meyer is a good coach, we don't know if he's still a good coach in 2021 without superior talent and we don't know if he's an NFL coach. If it were me, I probably would have hired a young NFL-proven offensive coordinator. A person like that would also come with significantly question marks but at least they'd have had success at this level already and would come without: 1) the immediate expectation of being a playoff team; and 2) the risk that the guy would flee back to a more comfortable environment (college or tv) where he could be handsomely compensated.

How do you know Jacksonville got much better? The guy hasn't even stepped into an NFL locker room yet. What Flea outlined is spot on - in the NFL you don't have an overwhelmingly talent advantage. And that leads to having to work a lot harder - thus no more leaving the complex at 8pm, no more three months to just chill, no more young men threatening them with scholarships...he will be coaching GROWN ASS MEN, with big money and families on the line. I give him three years before he goes away.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
How do you know Jacksonville got much better? The guy hasn't even stepped into an NFL locker room yet. What Flea outlined is spot on - in the NFL you don't have an overwhelmingly talent advantage. And that leads to having to work a lot harder - thus no more leaving the complex at 8pm, no more three months to just chill, no more young men threatening them with scholarships...he will be coaching GROWN ASS MEN, with big money and families on the line. I give him three years before he goes away.

The other thing I don't like about hiring college coaches: they have a parachute that's called "going back to college" (or in Meyer's case, TV as well). If you hire a young NFL OF he basically has to sink or swim. Meyer can hit the eject button in November and go coach Auburn for $8M. Especially given his penchant for bailing, I would not trust him with an NFL franchise.

The other thing I don't like about hiring college coaches: they have a parachute that's called "going back to college" (or in Meyer's case, TV as well). If you hire a young NFL OF he basically has to sink or swim. Meyer can hit the eject button in November and go coach Auburn for $8M. Especially given his penchant for bailing, I would not trust him with an NFL franchise.

GREAT POINTS!!

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT