ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer to the NFL?

I’m not sure if it’s going to work, but I do know that I’ll be tuning in. Mission accomplished...

How do you know Jacksonville got much better? The guy hasn't even stepped into an NFL locker room yet. What Flea outlined is spot on - in the NFL you don't have an overwhelmingly talent advantage. And that leads to having to work a lot harder - thus no more leaving the complex at 8pm, no more three months to just chill, no more young men threatening them with scholarships...he will be coaching GROWN ASS MEN, with big money and families on the line. I give him three years before he goes away.
As his record proves....he has immediately improved every program by leaps and bounds. He did not have a huge leap in talent at BG, Utah nor Ohio State.
I am one of those people who looks at actual performance and when I look at Meyer I see a coach who instantly improved the records of teams with the same talent.
He is a not Charlie Weiss ace assistant without a true track record.
But I know how disturbing won loss records can be and in his first years everywhere Meyer outperformed his predecessor.
Pressure In Jacksonville? Columbus? Yes. Gainesville? Yes. Jacksonville? Yawn.
As how Jacksonville just got better, perhaps you can ask yourself whether having the 1st pick in the NFL draft goes to the worst team.
You wanna argue, that fine. But yelling loudly doesn’t persuade many. Records do.

As his record proves....he has immediately improved every program by leaps and bounds. He did not have a huge leap in talent at BG, Utah nor Ohio State.
I am one of those people who looks at actual performance and when I look at Meyer I see a coach who instantly improved the records of teams with the same talent.
He is a not Charlie Weiss ace assistant without a true track record.
But I know how disturbing won loss records can be and in his first years everywhere Meyer outperformed his predecessor.
Pressure In Jacksonville? Columbus? Yes. Gainesville? Yes. Jacksonville? Yawn.
As how Jacksonville just got better, perhaps you can ask yourself whether having the 1st pick in the NFL draft goes to the worst team.
You wanna argue, that fine. But yelling loudly doesn’t persuade many. Records do.

His work in college has no bearing on what he does in the NFL. Nick Saban just won what...his seventh NC - well in the Pros he couldn't last a year. Same with Steve Spurrier, same with Chip Kelly, same with Lou Holtz. I will give Joe Poo Poo Pants some credit - he was smart enough to know that his coaching style doesn't translate to the NFL. And to dismiss the pressure just because it's Jacksonville is comical...this is the NFL, there's pressure on everyone irrespective of what city your in.

Last edited:
yes..his emotional boo boo (ie. stay one step ahead of the ncaa posse) is all better now..

His work in college has no bearing on what he does in the NFL. Nick Saban just won what...his seventh NC - well in the Pros he couldn't last a year. Same with Steve Spurrier, same with Chip Kelly, same with Lou Holtz. I will give Joe Poo Poo Pants some credit - he was smart enough to know that his coaching style doesn't translate to the NFL. And to dismiss the pressure just because it's Jacksonville is comical...this is the NFL, there's pressure on everyone irrespective of what city your in.
Comical?
I live in FL and no one outside of a few die hards cares about the Jags. They are so unpopular, no one makes fun of them.

Comical?
I live in FL and no one outside of a few die hards cares about the Jags. They are so unpopular, no one makes fun of them.

I didn't say that anyone cared - especially regarding the fans. I said there is pressure on every NFL team - irrespective of what crowd/fan support is. There is ton of money being thrown around and it's not being thrown around for constant losing.

Don't disagree but Bowling Green was literally 20 years ago. Utah was 18 years ago. Is his tenure at some college program during the September 11th attacks really relevant to predicting his performance as an NFL coach in 2021? I tend to weight more recent performance more heavily. And UF and Ohio State are both blue chip programs and were not turnaround jobs (UF was ranked in 2004 and OSU is always a powerhouse, 1 bad season notwithstanding). And again, he left both of those places almost immediately when faced with personal/professional adversity.

Meyer is a good coach, we don't know if he's still a good coach in 2021 without superior talent and we don't know if he's an NFL coach. If it were me, I probably would have hired a young NFL-proven offensive coordinator. A person like that would also come with significantly question marks but at least they'd have had success at this level already and would come without: 1) the immediate expectation of being a playoff team; and 2) the risk that the guy would flee back to a more comfortable environment (college or tv) where he could be handsomely compensated.
To be fair, he has had similar success at the bigger talent school since then. He might fail, but your reasoning why he will is flawed.

The other thing I don't like about hiring college coaches: they have a parachute that's called "going back to college" (or in Meyer's case, TV as well). If you hire a young NFL OF he basically has to sink or swim. Meyer can hit the eject button in November and go coach Auburn for $8M. Especially given his penchant for bailing, I would not trust him with an NFL franchise.
It seems that you assume he will be ok with failing in the NFL. Why wouldn’t he try to swim as much as any other person hired?

ADVERTISEMENT