ADVERTISEMENT

USA Olympic soccer

He might not. But he's good enough at an early enough age that you ought to want him to be around to find out. If he ends up being good enough and he's playing for Mexico because you left him off this team and pissed him off, well, that's a massive unforced error.

There seemed to be enough uproar that he didnt make it that it makes me think he should have. That said, I doubt he becomes anything at the international level. Maybe he becomes a starter for Mexico but they stink.

Here's a stupid question I would never ask, but it was asked of me, and I didn't have an answer. Why does the goalkeeper have a completely different uniform (I am sorry "kit" that is gay) than the team they play for???

Here's a stupid question I would never ask, but it was asked of me, and I didn't have an answer. Why does the goalkeeper have a completely different uniform (I am sorry "kit" that is gay) than the team they play for???

Because he's the only one allowed to use his hands, so it makes it easy to see who he is.

It's just like the libero in volleyball wears a different color than his or her teammates, so you can see who that person is.

Aside from the obvious? It’s in the rules that the keeper has to wear a jersey different than the rest of the team…I assume it’s because he’s the only player using his hands. And if he’s wearing a jersey different than his team, like the away kit when the team is in their home kit, then there’s a good chance he’s going to be in a similar color to the opponent and that isn’t acceptable either. Green became a tradition way back when. And weird studies had something saying that green was beneficial to a keeper as well as fluorescent and red believe it or not…so now you just see all kinds of stuff.

Reactions: mike412
FIFA just announced that the Canadian women have been docked six points and their coach as been banned for a year for their drone cheating.
No wonder that former Canadian coach, who was just a gym teacher or something, was a pretty successful coach.

Aside from the obvious? It’s in the rules that the keeper has to wear a jersey different than the rest of the team…I assume it’s because he’s the only player using his hands. And if he’s wearing a jersey different than his team, like the away kit when the team is in their home kit, then there’s a good chance he’s going to be in a similar color to the opponent and that isn’t acceptable either. Green became a tradition way back when. And weird studies had something saying that green was beneficial to a keeper as well as fluorescent and red believe it or not…so now you just see all kinds of stuff.

Its been my theory that GKs prefer green because its harder for the other teams to locate them when they shoot.

You can express whatever opinion you want. When you show your ignorance, I can express the fact that you have no idea what you are talking about.

See how that works?
I get it, you're an asshole, you follow me specifically looking to find any reason for any kind of personal attack.

Last edited:
I get it, you're an asshole, you follow me specifically looking to find any reason for any kind of personal attack.

If you think that I follow you specifically you really do have an overinflated sense of self-worth. Unsurprisingly.

Believe me, there is no one on this board who follows you around, waiting with baited breath for your next gem.

If you think that I follow you specifically you really do have an overinflated sense of self-worth. Unsurprisingly.

Believe me, there is no one on this board who follows you around, waiting with baited breath for your next gem.
And basically, everyone is sick of your condescending bullsh!t here. your inflated delusion of self-worth and your nothing but an arrogant, know it all, blowhard

And basically, everyone is sick of your condescending bullsh!t here. your inflated delusion of self-worth and your nothing but an arrogant, know it all, blowhard

You don't have to read my posts. It's not a necessity of life.

You just can't stand it that there are people who point out your lines of bullshit. In your eyes you're the center of the universe, and it really screws up your self esteem when someone points out that it's not actually true.

You don't have to read my posts. It's not a necessity of life.

You just can't stand it that there are people who point out your lines of bullshit. In your eyes you're the center of the universe, and it really screws up your self esteem when someone points out that it's not actually true.
I rarely say anything that isn't true, other than when I'm calling you a dickhead - that's 110% accurate and actually too kind of a thing to say about your dumb ass.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I rarely say anything that isn't true, other than when I'm calling you a dickhead

Now there's one thing that you finally got right! When you call me a dickhead you are saying something that isn't true!

Really, if you are going to insult someone, saying that when you call someone a dickhead you are not being truthful doesn't really pack the punch that you apparently thought it was going to.

I think the US men have looked very good these past two matches, although the opposition has not been stellar. A couple of the goals yesterday were beautiful strikes. I might have misjudged them in the match against France, but we need to see how they play against better competition now that the group stage is over.

In assessing the importance of the Olympics to teams and countries, let’s not forget that the men’s Under 19 Euros just ended on Sunday. Spain won, giving it a clean sweep of the Euros and Under 19 Euros, both men’s and women’s this year.

Interestingly, many Spanish sportswriters thought Spain sent the majority of its best young players to the Olympics rather than the Under 19 Euros and were complaining that it diminished the chances of Spain winning. But they did win, and once again beat France for the title.

I think the academy system in Spain really helps develop talent at an early age. What started with La Masia at Barcelona has spread now to many Spanish teams. I know the Premier League also has academy teams. Are they like the Spanish teams, where the players live on campus and attend classes as well as training, Or are they simply after-school teams which practice together?

Not able to watch the women today but almost 80% possession and 11-1 on shots at the half., 7-1 on frame. Looks like 10 aussies behind the ball and packed in?

US only up 1-0 on a goal by the worm’s daughter.

When I heard Timmy Howard talking about him at halftime, I had to do a double take and say wait who is he talking about?!?! He was glowingly praising the kid.
Yow and Paredes came up from DC United, I used to watch them play there, I thought they were good then, about 3 years back, but they seemed small and weak, now they have filled out and gotten stronger and much better, even back then 2-3 years ago Paredes as a 17 year old in MLS had a real knack for carrying the ball into the box and drawing the penalty kick, he never got the goals but he was the reason for a lot of goals.

Not able to watch the women today but almost 80% possession and 11-1 on shots at the half., 7-1 on frame. Looks like 10 aussies behind the ball and packed in?

Korbin Albert with a gorgeous goal! The alphabet soup army “not pleased”

• Haha
Reactions: Chaos and Fk_Pitt

I happened to be not working today so I saw the game. The Aussies knew that if they got a draw they were going to advance, so they played the first half like as if the best result they could possibly hope for was a nil-nil. Occasionally they would come forward in a half-hearted counter attack, but other than that they did nothing at all on offense.

That goal late in the first half made them have to play differently in the second half. They were certainly more offensive minded, but the US was still clearly the better team.

By the way, in the second half the US had one of those shots that you sometimes see that hit the inside of the left post, caromed all the way across the goal mouth and hit the inside of the right post, and stayed out of the goal.

Pretty much a true road game today. Playing Morocco in France is like playing Mexico in the US due the large number of immigrants in those countries.

Good God, this is as bad as any team as has dominated the US that I can remember. Looks like JV vs Varsity. Morocco has Hakimi and Rahimi from their A team but it shouldn't be this bad. Completely embarrassing.

Good God, this is as bad as any team as has dominated the US that I can remember. Looks like JV vs Varsity. Morocco has Hakimi and Rahimi from their A team but it shouldn't be this bad. Completely embarrassing.

i gave up having any hope for the USMNT doing anything, ever, after T&T. and nothing since has changed my mind. just embarrassment after embarrassment.

may as well be 1990 world cup at this point.

i gave up having any hope for the USMNT doing anything, ever, after T&T. and nothing since has changed my mind. just embarrassment after embarrassment.

may as well be 1990 world cup at this point.

To be fair, this was essentially a U23 B team but to get beat like that wasnt called for. The score could have been 7 or 8-0. I cant remember the last time I saw a US team look so outclassed and this was MOROCCO.

With PSG allowing Hakimi to play, I wonder if the US could have gotten Pulisic after maybe giving him the first 2 games off.

FWIW, Morocco only had 5 players born in Morocco and I'd wonder how many of those players actually grew up in Morocco. The key to international football success is to have kids playing youth football in Europe. The US benefits some from this but lately its been Morocco. I wonder if some of the Western African countries like Cameroon will do a better job recruiting their younger French players to play for their parents' nation instead. Probably not.

To be fair, this was essentially a U23 B team but to get beat like that wasnt called for. The score could have been 7 or 8-0. I cant remember the last time I saw a US team look so outclassed and this was MOROCCO.

With PSG allowing Hakimi to play, I wonder if the US could have gotten Pulisic after maybe giving him the first 2 games off.

perhaps there's a good argument but having the 3 over 23 players just seems dumb to me. why in the hell is a 25 yo player who plays for a champions league club allowed to play in this tournament? why in the hell is lacazette playing for france (when they don't even need him)?

perhaps there's a good argument but having the 3 over 23 players just seems dumb to me. why in the hell is a 25 yo player who plays for a champions league club allowed to play in this tournament? why in the hell is lacazette playing for france (when they don't even need him)?

I am guessing its some compromise between the IOC and FIFA. I dont mind it. I just wished that the US would have called in 1 true A teamer. They had the opportunity since the Copa team went out early. When did Pulisic report to AC Milan? My guess is On Day 1. So let him go play a knockout round game. This team didn't need Mihailovic to beat NZ and Guinea.

First of all, until WWI, Morocco was an independent country. Then, it was divided with southern Morocco becoming a French colony and northern Morocco becoming a Spanish colony. During WW II, Spain was neutral. Many thousands of Moroccans from both regions enlisted in the French army based on promises they would become French citizens after the war. They earned that citizenship on the battlefield.

Countries establish their own rules for Olympic eligibility. To be eligible to play for Ireland, for example, you need only one grandparent who is at least 50% Irish.

It is not surprising that many young French citizens play for Morocco. It is easier to make the Moroccan team than the French team. It isn’t unfair that the US had to play a team made up primarily of Moroccans born and raised in France. That is the reality of soccer in the 21st Century. Messi has lived in Spain since he was 13. His entire family had moved there by the time he was 17. He could have played for Spain and perhaps had 3 or 4 World Cup titles by now. Imagine a Spanish team with him at RW instead of Pedro. He could have played in the Euros instead of the Copa America. He chose to play for Argentina and has one World Cup title.

We live in an increasingly mobile world. It’s not like Morocco recruited its soccer players from other countries. All of them are ethnically Moroccan and entitled to compete for Morocco.

They dominated us. Pulisic wouldn’t have made a difference. Three Pulisics wouldn’t have made a difference.

First of all, until WWI, Morocco was an independent country. Then, it was divided with southern Morocco becoming a French colony and northern Morocco becoming a Spanish colony. During WW II, Spain was neutral. Many thousands of Moroccans from both regions enlisted in the French army based on promises they would become French citizens after the war. They earned that citizenship on the battlefield.

Countries establish their own rules for Olympic eligibility. To be eligible to play for Ireland, for example, you need only one grandparent who is at least 50% Irish.

It is not surprising that many young French citizens play for Morocco. It is easier to make the Moroccan team than the French team. It isn’t unfair that the US had to play a team made up primarily of Moroccans born and raised in France. That is the reality of soccer in the 21st Century. Messi has lived in Spain since he was 13. His entire family had moved there by the time he was 17. He could have played for Spain and perhaps had 3 or 4 World Cup titles by now. Imagine a Spanish team with him at RW instead of Pedro. He could have played in the Euros instead of the Copa America. He chose to play for Argentina and has one World Cup title.

We live in an increasingly mobile world. It’s not like Morocco recruited its soccer players from other countries. All of them are ethnically Moroccan and entitled to compete for Morocco.

They dominated us. Pulisic wouldn’t have made a difference. Three Pulisics wouldn’t have made a difference.

I think Pulisic makes a big difference but we probably still dont win. Just stupid we never seem to take our best shot.

I'm not against foreign-born players playing for Morocco. I bring it up to point out that when you play a team like Morocco or that Algeria team we barely beat in 2010, you are playing a European team of players, who have never even been to those countries outside of home matches. These kids grow up playing in world-class Euro academies. Morocco may be hitting a golden generation now, perhaps due to an immigration flux to Western Europe 20-30 years ago though I dont know the exact immigration history.

You are definitely seeing the result of immigration in these teams. And I'm not saying I'm against that at all but you see these Euro teams, sometimes only having a few players of the country's ethnicity. Even the Netherlands only started 1 or 2 players of Dutch descent. Its kinda cool actually.

Morocco brought its best U23 players and the best rb in the world, put simply the US did not. Our b to cish U23 team was completely outclassed by a very strong Moroccan team.

Spain plays the USA, who are you rooting for?

Eligible U23 players the us did not bring: Gio Reyna, Joe Scally, Flo Balogun, Yunus Musah, Ricardo Pepi, Malik Tillman, Segino Dest, Johnny Cardoso, Rokas Pukstas, Chris Brady, and more I'm probably forgetting. Morocco had all of their U23 players released and this was a very US roster

Morocco brought its best U23 players and the best rb in the world, put simply the US did not. Our b to cish U23 team was completely outclassed by a very strong Moroccan team.
Given the way we played against France, France won’t fair much better vs Morocco. I’m not going to pretend to know how Morocco and France would match up vs each other, but we could have easily won vs France. And we had no player on our roster even close to Olise…and it was massive on the field. He should have been on their World Cup team.

Reactions: 121rum
Given the way we played against France, France won’t fair much better vs Morocco. I’m not going to pretend to know how Morocco and France would match up vs each other, but we could have easily won vs France. And we had no player on our roster even close to Olise…and it was massive on the field. He should have been on their World Cup team.
I get its fun to crap on US men's soccer and this was a crapping on worthy performance, but there's always way more context. The floor of the US player pool has gotten a lot higher, but our star level ceiling still isn't that high and we're still low on depth which hampers tournaments like this. Those issues should improve if better coaching hires are made and as more generations come through academies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT