ADVERTISEMENT

USA Olympic soccer

Given the way we played against France, France won’t fair much better vs Morocco. I’m not going to pretend to know how Morocco and France would match up vs each other, but we could have easily won vs France. And we had no player on our roster even close to Olise…and it was massive on the field. He should have been on their World Cup team.

Morocco is much better than France. It makes sense that those were their best U23s while we, of course, sent of our U23 B team. This federation is so incompetent.

Eligible U23 players the us did not bring: Gio Reyna, Joe Scally, Flo Balogun, Yunus Musah, Ricardo Pepi, Malik Tillman, Segino Dest, Johnny Cardoso, Rokas Pukstas, Chris Brady, and more I'm probably forgetting. Morocco had all of their U23 players released and this was a very US roster

Dest was too old by 2 months. Its birth year 2001 or younger.

What would a U23 A team would have looked like if you could have gotten all of them and whatever overage players you wanted.

Midfield 3
McKennie (overage)
Musah
Cardoso

Forwards
Pulisic (overage)
Balogun
Reyna

Fullbacks
Scally
Tolkin

Center Backs
Not sure

Bench
Parades
Paxton Aaronson
Tillman
Pepi
Busio
Tessman

Reactions: 121rum
Given the way we played against France, France won’t fair much better vs Morocco. I’m not going to pretend to know how Morocco and France would match up vs each other, but we could have easily won vs France. And we had no player on our roster even close to Olise…and it was massive on the field. He should have been on their World Cup team.
you need to properly cite me if you're going to use my material!

I get its fun to crap on US men's soccer and this was a crapping on worthy performance, but there's always way more context. The floor of the US player pool has gotten a lot higher, but our star level ceiling still isn't that high and we're still low on depth which hampers tournaments like this. Those issues should improve if better coaching hires are made and as more generations come through academies.

and yet, the results on the field never change.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
you need to properly cite me if you're going to use my material!

and yet, the results on the field never change.
I thought we agreed on that!!! Lol.

But I’m sure we wouldn’t agree on Patrick Viera for the USMNT.

I thought we agreed on that!!! Lol.

But I’m sure we wouldn’t agree on Patrick Viera for the USMNT.

i said it first!

this morning, rodney marsh said he's been by far the best player of the tournament, which is true.

do i want PV? the guy who got fired from his last two jobs?

airplane-movie-jive-lady-certainly-not-lvqq0q5oi2yyzb00.gif

i said it first!

this morning, rodney marsh said he's been by far the best player of the tournament, which is true.

do i want PV? the guy who got fired from his last two jobs?

airplane-movie-jive-lady-certainly-not-lvqq0q5oi2yyzb00.gif
They all get fired. Especially when you work for Chelsea and do your job.

They all get fired. Especially when you work for Chelsea and do your job.

roy hodgson played a more exciting brand of football. grim times with that dude.

oh, and mateta scored again for france. france should've taken him too. their most in-form attacking players both left home for euro's. dumbasses.

FWIW, Morocco only had 5 players born in Morocco and I'd wonder how many of those players actually grew up in Morocco. The key to international football success is to have kids playing youth football in Europe. The US benefits some from this but lately its been Morocco. I wonder if some of the Western African countries like Cameroon will do a better job recruiting their younger French players to play for their parents' nation instead. Probably not.

Fun fact, Amir Richardson, who started in Morocco's midfield, is the son of former NBA player and noted drug abuser, Michael Ray Richardson.

OK, you know what, that wasn't really that fun.

So much to say about this team and tourney…but no time to say it…

Way to go ladies. One more!

Reactions: HOF Coach
The difference between the men’s and women’s teams is palpable. The women are so much more cohesive. They have almost seamlessly made the transition from a veteran team filled with aging stars to a young team with an incredibly bright future…and present.

That goal was a terrific strike from an attacker who knew where the goalie was going to be and how to beat her, after an absolutely perfect pass from Mason, who threaded the needle.

Reactions: HOF Coach
The difference between the men’s and women’s teams is palpable. The women are so much more cohesive. They have almost seamlessly made the transition from a veteran team filled with aging stars to a young team with an incredibly bright future…and present.

That goal was a terrific strike from an attacker who knew where the goalie was going to be and how to beat her, after an absolutely perfect pass from Mason, who threaded the needle.
Not sure what goal you’re describing but perhaps you meant Swanson who put smith in who then beat the keeper who came out. The brilliant strike in my mind was Rodman’s daughter who bent the winner into the upper 90 over the weekend.

The Difference with this team is in my opinion is they moved away from the dead weight that they held onto too long and got the locker room cancers out of the squad who were distracted by social issues and politics. Combine that with a Chelsea legend leading this group and well…this team is back to competing again.

I’m disappointed that your beloved Spain lost because that was the hurdle that I wanted to see Emma Hayes conquer. She was able to dominate England with primarily European based rosters at Chelsea but could never beat Barcelona (Spain). I would have liked to see if she could exercise that demon with American talent.

Reactions: PHPanther
The difference between the men’s and women’s teams is

the best suburban female athletes in the US play soccer. Fixed it for you.

As long as we have football, basketball, and baseball, they will gobble up the vast majority of best suburban kids.

Last edited:
US vs Marta, in her final chance to win a major trophy with Brazil after it looked like her career was over when she got the red.

the best suburban female athletes in the US play soccer. Fixed it for you.

As long as we have football, basketball, and baseball, they will gobble up the vast majority of best suburban kids.
True.

Don’t know if you watched, but I’ve watched most of their games this tourney and watch most of the US womens games Regardless of whether it’s a friendly or major tourney…and Girma has been playing the center back position better than anyone I’ve ever seen.

Our front three gets all the glory and they deserve it. They are as good as it gets and won’t be in their prime for another four years. Although Swanson is probably in her prime. I couldn’t imagine if arguably the best player in the game (Macario) were healthy, in form, and sitting underneath them at the 10. This team would be sick.

But Girma in the back is unbelievable.

True.

Don’t know if you watched, but I’ve watched most of their games this tourney and watch most of the US womens games Regardless of whether it’s a friendly or major tourney…and Girma has been playing the center back position better than anyone I’ve ever seen.

Our front three gets all the glory and they deserve it. They are as good as it gets and won’t be in their prime for another four years. Although Swanson is probably in her prime. I couldn’t imagine if arguably the best player in the game (Macario) were healthy, in form, and sitting underneath them at the 10. This team would be sick.

But Girma in the back is unbelievable.
Emma said earlier today that Girma is the best she’s ever seen

• Wow

@Fk_Pitt
Thanks for the article. Yeah it just allows the team to play so freely and confidently when they know they have a center back like her back there. And quite honestly the #6 play in front of the backline hasn’t been great. Germany was attacking through the middle and running at Girma with pace throughout the match. Dunn was solid too. And naeher in goal is pretty darn good. She is so good on corners, commanding her box and punching balls out of danger. I feel like it will take a special team performance from Brazil for them to beat the US…the most likely of which having our dynamic front 3 not able to finish and Brazil winning in penalties.

Thanks for the article. Yeah it just allows the team to play so freely and confidently when they know they have a center back like her back there. And quite honestly the #6 play in front of the backline hasn’t been great. Germany was attacking through the middle and running at Girma with pace throughout the match. Dunn was solid too. And naeher in goal is pretty darn good. She is so good on corners, commanding her box and punching balls out of danger. I feel like it will take a special team performance from Brazil for them to beat the US…the most likely of which having our dynamic front 3 not able to finish and Brazil winning in penalties.
Gotta love a woman goal keeper that commands her box

• Wow
Reactions: mike412 and Fk_Pitt
Anyone see that the men's team didnt get paid because USSF considers the U23 a youth team even though they are all full pros. The women's team received full pay since its their full team but I'm not sure if they have to share their pay with the men's team or how that officially works.

Anyone see that the men's team didnt get paid because USSF considers the U23 a youth team even though they are all full pros. The women's team received full pay since its their full team but I'm not sure if they have to share their pay with the men's team or how that officially works.

good. they don't deserve anything for that performance. i'm sure the ladies aren't sharing a dime.

Reactions: Allan McMurray
Wonder if the overages players were paid? Why would they play?

Wonder if the overages players were paid? Why would they play?
Because it would be fun to say you had played in the Olympics? And if they got a medal, having an Olympic medal would be cool.

Because it would be fun to say you had played in the Olympics? And if they got a medal, having an Olympic medal would be cool.
Maybe to a moron. But to a professional earning a paycheck to play soccer for a living, I’d think twice before playing in a youth tourney.

Reactions: pitt90seven
Maybe to a moron. But to a professional earning a paycheck to play soccer for a living, I’d think twice before playing in a youth tourney.

Its not a youth tournament though. I doubt there were any players in the entire tournament who werent pros. The USSF could consider it a youth tournament so they dont have to pay the guys but its not.

Its not a youth tournament though. I doubt there were any players in the entire tournament who werent pros. The USSF could consider it a youth tournament so they dont have to pay the guys but its not.
Don’t care. It’s a bush league event and the Olympics jumped the shark years ago. Womens soccer it’s a major trophy, men’s soccer it’s nothing. If I’m a pro and considering going to that event, I’m not thinking it’s cool to be an Olympian or to win a consolation prize medal.

Don’t care. It’s a bush league event and the Olympics jumped the shark years ago. Womens soccer it’s a major trophy, men’s soccer it’s nothing. If I’m a pro and considering going to that event, I’m not thinking it’s cool to be an Olympian or to win a consolation prize medal.

Most American soccer players you hear from, they want to play in the Olympics. Just something about it. I think they understand its a nothing tournament but if given the choice between 3 weeks of preseason camp at their club or the Olympics, they'd choose the Olympics

Most American soccer players you hear from, they want to play in the Olympics. Just something about it. I think they understand its a nothing tournament but if given the choice between 3 weeks of preseason camp at their club or the Olympics, they'd choose the Olympics
Mihailovic, Zimmerman and Robinson are halfway into their MLS season. They are risking injury and their teams are left battling for positioning without them. If they are olympians solely for the sake of winning a medal, or thought they had any chance of winning a gold, while not getting paid…then they are morons. But hey I hear those Olympic villages get pretty crazy at night.

Mihailovic, Zimmerman and Robinson are halfway into their MLS season. They are risking injury and their teams are left battling for positioning without them. If they are olympians solely for the sake of winning a medal, or thought they had any chance of winning a gold, while not getting paid…then they are morons. But hey I hear those Olympic villages get pretty crazy at night.

That goes to show you the appeal of the Olympics, doesnt it?

Reactions: Pitt79
That goes to show you the appeal of the Olympics, doesnt it?
Only girls dream of playing in the Olympics. Boys dream of playing in the World Cup. Come on now. And if there’s lure for these overage players to play, they are only doing so to stay in good graces with the Federation, or they are being paid, or they are morons. Above I mentioned the olympic village and I don’t think they are even staying there are they? Instead they are hundreds of miles away, buzzing from venue to venue, with 2 games in between matches and no recovery time. It’s just bush league amateur stuff that’s borderline embarrassing. No seniored player should be doing it.

It would be like an ECNL player leaving his club team to go play for his HS in the middle of a club season. And not just their HS, but their HS JV team to help them win some title that no one recognizes. The difference is these MLS players have their livelihoods to worry about.

YOU are a freaking moron if you don't think a professional soccer player might want an Olympic medal. Jesus that's the dumbest comment I ever read.

• Haha
Only girls dream of playing in the Olympics. Boys dream of playing in the World Cup. Come on now. And if there’s lure for these overage players to play, they are only doing so to stay in good graces with the Federation, or they are being paid, or they are morons. Above I mentioned the olympic village and I don’t think they are even staying there are they? Instead they are hundreds of miles away, buzzing from venue to venue, with 2 games in between matches and no recovery time. It’s just bush league amateur stuff that’s borderline embarrassing. No seniored player should be doing it.

It would be like an ECNL player leaving his club team to go play for his HS in the middle of a club season. And not just their HS, but their HS JV team to help them win some title that no one recognizes. The difference is these MLS players have their livelihoods to worry about.
Like a good number of girls that played for ECNL, they also played for their high school teams here in Maryland, why not, play in big stadiums full of people, get coverage in the local media, be remembered, then go play for the high-level clubs in front of a dozen parents in lawn chairs.

No, they aren't morons, they are what I described, athletes that for one reason or another like the idea of going for an Olympic medal.

And I'm not sure where you live, but in Maryland a lot of boys and girls play for those top club teams and their high schools.

You are wrong. Messi, Neymar, and many other stars have played in the Olympics. While its not a "dream" of soccer players, if the opportunity is there, they'd like to do it. Pulisic even said he wanted to go last time if they qualified. As for the USA overage players, their MLS clubs are paying them. Its not like they are losing money by going to France. Their clubs are paying them to play Morocco instead of DC United.

You are wrong. Messi, Neymar, and many other stars have played in the Olympics. While its not a "dream" of soccer players, if the opportunity is there, they'd like to do it. Pulisic even said he wanted to go last time if they qualified. As for the USA overage players, their MLS clubs are paying them. Its not like they are losing money by going to France. Their clubs are paying them to play Morocco instead of DC United.
And even if the bigger names like Messi, Renaldo or even Pulisic might scoff at it, to a guy like Georgie Mihalovic or Zimmerman it might be like a last chance at an international tournament and maybe a nice piece to their trophy case if they had gotten a medal.

And even if the bigger names like Messi, Renaldo or even Pulisic might scoff at it, to a guy like Georgie Mihalovic or Zimmerman it might be like a last chance at an international tournament and maybe a nice piece to their trophy case if they had gotten a medal.

Messi didnt scoff at it. He played in it. I don’t think Portugal has qualified in awhile. And Pulisic wanted to play. Mbappe wanted to play. Hakimi played. Stars want to play in the Olympics. Period.

Messi didnt scoff at it. He played in it. I don’t think Portugal has qualified in awhile. And Pulisic wanted to play. Mbappe wanted to play. Hakimi played. Stars want to play in the Olympics. Period.
You and the moron have completely missed the point. But I’m not surprised. You’re making straw man arguments. None of it is relevant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT