ADVERTISEMENT

USA Soccer thread

over Pefok? Yes. He scores goals.
Pefok’s goal vs United was an embarrassment. But he still had to finish. But that’s an accomplishment that no American has or maybe will be able to say.

although Pulisic’s goal to beat Madrid is quite the accomplishment. It just wasn’t in the 95th minute. But it was a semifinal match.

I found out I will be in the House for USA/Mexico! I still have no idea how I'm even eligible for that lottery. I could he the biggest Mexico fan ever for all they know.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
When are our next couple orb qualifier games?
Actually the first game is Thursday vs Jamaica at 7:30 on ESPN2 according to what I’m seeing. Additionally, I have heard but haven’t seen confirmation that Michail Antonio will be in the lineup for Jamaica. Antonio is easily the best #9 in Concacaf. It won’t be easy, plus Brooks for the US is out so Berhalter needs to sort his center backs.

im glad this game is not a 9pm or 10pm kickoff.

If they don't grab 7 points it'll be very disappointed. I'll be generally disappointed if they don't get all 9 to be honest.

It'll be very interesting to see how Michail Antonio does this window for the Reggae Boyz

Actually the first game is Thursday vs Jamaica at 7:30 on ESPN2 according to what I’m seeing.

Oh, yeah, that's right. I typed Friday, but it is Thursday.

Game, two days off, game, two days off.

FWIW, I think the actual kickoff on Thursday is 8:00. I believe Sunday is at 6:00 and then next Wednesday is at 7:00.

Oh, yeah, that's right. I typed Friday, but it is Thursday.

Game, two days off, game, two days off.

FWIW, I think the actual kickoff on Thursday is 8:00. I believe Sunday is at 6:00 and then next Wednesday is at 7:00.
It’s what I’ve grown to assume with US Soccer. The game always starts at least 30 minutes from the advertised start. I’m just happy I won’t fall asleep during the games in this window.

It’s what I’ve grown to assume with US Soccer. The game always starts at least 30 minutes from the advertised start. I’m just happy I won’t fall asleep during the games in this window.

I was worried that the game on Sunday in Panama City would start really late, but I guess they are only an hour behind us (and that's only because they don't use Daylight Savings Time), so my fear of another 10:00 start was unfounded.

I was worried that the game on Sunday in Panama City would start really late, but I guess they are only an hour behind us (and that's only because they don't use Daylight Savings Time), so my fear of another 10:00 start was unfounded.

I was surprised that Honduras didn't elect a mid-afternoon kick like they and Mexico have done in the past to have the heat on their side. I remember the one time the Honduran government declared a national holiday and had a 3PM or 4PM local time kick and it was over 90 degrees. Tactics like this and not cutting the grass are reasons I'd look into it its possible to join UEFA. I think it was last cycle that fans were setting off fireworks all night outside the team hotel. Or maybe it was just gunshots

I was surprised that Honduras didn't elect a mid-afternoon kick like they and Mexico have done in the past to have the heat on their side. I remember the one time the Honduran government declared a national holiday and had a 3PM or 4PM local time kick and it was over 90 degrees. Tactics like this and not cutting the grass are reasons I'd look into it its possible to join UEFA. I think it was last cycle that fans were setting off fireworks all night outside the team hotel. Or maybe it was just gunshots
I think we should open our borders up for these people. It’s in our nations best interest.

on another note, Christian Pulisic gets his ass beat up every time he plays. His last game for the US was physical as hell for him. For as closely as I follow Chelsea and CP10, I still have never heard a diagnosis or prognosis. It’s been quieter than NHL injury reports. It just feels like he’s very close to a return. If I’m a big club in Europe, I’d think twice before paying big money for a dribbler like Pulisic. Or I’d think twice before allowing them to play in Concacaf. But clubs don’t have much of a say in the matter.

I think we should open our borders up for these people. It’s in our nations best interest.

on another note, Christian Pulisic gets his ass beat up every time he plays. His last game for the US was physical as hell for him. For as closely as I follow Chelsea and CP10, I still have never heard a diagnosis or prognosis. It’s been quieter than NHL injury reports. It just feels like he’s very close to a return. If I’m a big club in Europe, I’d think twice before paying big money for a dribbler like Pulisic. Or I’d think twice before allowing them to play in Concacaf. But clubs don’t have much of a say in the matter.

Maybe we can work out a deal with FIFA where they let UEFA take us if we open our borders.

CONCACAF seriously sucks. The US should not be playing un 3rd world countries where players have to fear for their personal safety.

The other idea would be to combine CONCACAF and Conmebol, which doesn't take us out of Central America but at least gets us some good games, Copa Libertadores, and Copa America.

Also, there were some rumblings that the CFU (Caribbean) were going to pull out of Concacaf so they could guarantee themselves an auto WC bid when it goes to 48. I'd really like to see that, actually. If Oceania gets an auto bid at 48, no reason, the CFU can't get one on their own.

Maybe we can work out a deal with FIFA where they let UEFA take us if we open our borders.
If??? Where have you been?

furthermore, there is literally 100’s of millions of $$ in border security technology that is going unused right now. Maybe US Soccer can petition the Biden administration to take those things off their hands, sell them on the secondary market, and use the money generated to bribe FIFA…since that’s how FIFA works.

If??? Where have you been?

furthermore, there is literally 100’s of millions of $$ in border security technology that is going unused right now. Maybe US Soccer can petition the Biden administration to take those things off their hands, sell them on the secondary market, and use the money generated to bribe FIFA…since that’s how FIFA works.

If it gets us out of Concacaf, I'm all for it.

Honestly, if the US were smart enough to realize UEFA is best for the country's footballing future, I believe they would have a shot of being allowed to go. Not saying I think they'd definitely be allowed, but they would have an interesting enough case plus the money they would generate with Champions League Finals, Europa League Finals, Champions League TV American TV deals, European Championships in the UE, etc would be off the charts.

I was surprised that Honduras didn't elect a mid-afternoon kick like they and Mexico have done in the past to have the heat on their side. I remember the one time the Honduran government declared a national holiday and had a 3PM or 4PM local time kick and it was over 90 degrees. Tactics like this and not cutting the grass are reasons I'd look into it its possible to join UEFA.

But is Honduras playing a game in the afternoon so that the temperatures are hot any different than the US playing Mexico all those years in Columbus so that it would be cold? Or playing Costa Rica in the snow in Denver back a couple cycles ago?

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
BTW, I've seen a couple places today saying that the game on Thursday actually does kick off at 7:30. So either they changed it or a couple places are just parroting ESPN's television window. It seems kind of odd that on a random Thursday they would start a game at 6:30 local time, but who knows what ESPN is thinking, or even if they are thinking anything at all about the locals.

But is Honduras playing a game in the afternoon so that the temperatures are hot any different than the US playing Mexico all those years in Columbus so that it would be cold? Or playing Costa Rica in the snow in Denver back a couple cycles ago?

Well, Columbus was more for the home crowd atmosphere since there's probably fewer Mexican immigrants within driving distance of Columbus than almost any other area in the US. They would have played there in September if that's when it came up. And Denver, they didn't plan for snow, they seemed to be picking MLS venues out of a hat back then. Now they are being more strategic, which they should.

Weekday mid-afternoons???? That's taking it to an extreme you must admit. Honduras also did that to Canada in a winner take all game in a preliminary round 2 cycles ago I believe.

Watching France vs Belgium right now is exciting, yet at the same time depressing. These two countries are 20x better than the US. Mbappe is Lebron james. Both on the field and off the field.

Watching France vs Belgium right now is exciting, yet at the same time depressing. These two countries are 20x better than the US. Mbappe is Lebron james. Both on the field and off the field.
Belgium really is blowing their chance with their golden generation

Belgium really is blowing their chance with their golden generation
For as good as they are, and they are wayyyyy more talented than the US, they can’t hold a candle to france. Their window is closed.

think about that. They have arguably the best #9 in the world, world class talent at lots of positions, and the best midfielder in the world. And they can’t win Euro trophies.

how would we feel if we had KDB, Lukaku, hazard, and Courtois?

And Denver, they didn't plan for snow, they seemed to be picking MLS venues out of a hat back then. Now they are being more strategic, which they should.

Playing in Denver in March might not be planning for snow, but it absolutely is planning for cold temperatures. If you don't think that the weather played a part in those decisions then you simply weren't paying attention.

And to recap, the US should be more strategic about scheduling their home games, but when Honduras does it it's unfair.

The US is not passing the ball well enough (again), but the biggest takeaway from the first half is that this game is too big an occasion for this referee. Even by CONCACAF standards he has been bad.

The US is not passing the ball well enough (again), but the biggest takeaway from the first half is that this game is too big an occasion for this referee. Even by CONCACAF standards he has been bad.
I missed the first half and just turned it on for the 2nd half. Not sure what I’ve missed but I know what I saw…

dest to Pepi!!

“Jesters cousin” is having himself a game. Lol.

Not sure what I’ve missed

20 seconds into the game Jamaica's last defender pulled down Ariola from behind, and the ref inexplicably only gave him a yellow. Later in a half a different Jamaican last defender slid in on Ariola from behind and cut him down, and again the ref only gave a yellow.

But yeah, PEPI!

Current standings.
PosTeamLPts
United States
UNITED STATES8
Mexico
MEXICO8
Canada
CANADA6
Panama
PANAMA5
El Salvador
EL SALVADOR5
Costa Rica
COSTA RICA3
Honduras
HONDURAS3
Jamaica
JAMAICA1

Match Details

(*) All times are adjusted based on your current computer timezone.

Maybe I’m buying into the hype, but a lineup with Robinson, Zimmerman, Dest, Adams, McKinnie, Pepi, Musah, and Aaronson in it is pretty darn good. Then you sub guys like Aaronson and Dest for Weah and Shaq Moore? That’s pretty strong. And that’s a lineup without Pulisic and Reyna who are your two best players.

btw, another of those young Americans is being courted by a big club. AC Milan has interest in Aaronson.

Current standings.
PosTeamLPts
United States
UNITED STATES8
Mexico
MEXICO8
Canada
CANADA6
Panama
PANAMA5
El Salvador
EL SALVADOR5
Costa Rica
COSTA RICA3
Honduras
HONDURAS3
Jamaica
JAMAICA1

Match Details

(*) All times are adjusted based on your current computer timezone.

The bottom 5 are pretty bad. I'm not sure how Panama was getting results but they lost to ES last night and are probably worse at every position than their 2018 WC golden generation squad.

I watched the 2nd Half of Canada/Mexico in Azteca and Canada legitimately looked like the better side.

If the US win in Panama to go to 11 points, 6 ahead of Panama, the US are basically qualified, even with 9 games left. Reason being, the bottom 5 are so even, they are going to all split games with each other while the US probably wins most home games and manages at least draws on the road most of the time

If the US win in Panama to go to 11 points, 6 ahead of Panama, the US are basically qualified, even with 9 games left. Reason being, the bottom 5 are so even, they are going to all split games with each other while the US probably wins most home games and manages at least draws on the road most of the time
Oh man. Why did you have to say that? I truly hope that this isn’t the kiss of death and this is one of the rare times you are right!

Oh man. Why did you have to say that? I truly hope that this isn’t the kiss of death and this is one of the rare times you are right!

Not predicting a guaranteed win in Panama. A draw seems more likely. But if we do win, there's almost no way Panama makes up those 6 points in the last 9 games because they just arent good enough to string together a bunch of wins. As I said, those bottom 5 teams are all very very similar in talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT