ADVERTISEMENT

USA Soccer thread

I was referring to the USA… hopefully none of these defenders. Vines and Sands stink
Misread it, sorry. I would venture to guess none of these players with the exception of Turner will get serious consideration. He has really been good this tournament. Acosta and Hoppe will get some looks.

Reactions: zookeeper2000
Misread it, sorry. I would venture to guess none of these players with the exception of Turner will get serious consideration. He has really been good this tournament. Acosta and Hoppe will get some looks.
Thanks. That’s what I figured. And now Sands gives up a PK.

I would venture to guess none of these players with the exception of Turner will get serious consideration. He has really been good this tournament. Acosta and Hoppe will get some looks.

With the number of games that will be played in such short time spans, you are going to see a lot of these guys on the roster and several of them are going to be at least semi-regulars.

Actually the US schedule for qualifying is brutal, sometimes playing three games in one week. So this Gold Cup has been a huge success, as we can now see that some of these guys can/will help the US win games and qualify. There’s a huge handful of these players who can help. And a smaller handful who can be on the World Cup roster.

They just said on the broadcast the fast majority will be. This is the team that won the Asian Championship. The GK and LM are the only ones not on that team I believe they just said.
The Qatari team is a decent one. Asian champs like you said…but also is composed of players from all over the Muslim world who Qatar has naturalized. There’s only 2 club teams in Qatar and these players know and play with each other very well. This match was a good test. Our senior team very well could see them again next year when it counts.

In my opinion, these guys will help the US qualify:
Turner
Robinson
Moore
Acosta
Busio
Hoppe
Dike
And unfortunately Lietget (Berhalter has a weird thing for him and he stinks).

I think Turner might be better than Steffen. Robinson looks solid. Acosta will be a Tyler Adams backup, and Adams is injury prone. Busio is only 18, has a great future and should help qualify. Dike disappointed me, but I still think he has HUGE upside. Hopefully he will be a force by 2026. And Hoppe could be in our top 11.

edit: I’ll also add Zimmerman to the list. He got hurt early in tourney and hasn’t played. But I think he’s a very good center back option. He was the top center back in MLS apparently. But as my one friend keeps telling me…if he was any good, he wouldn’t be in the MLS. Still, I liked what I saw when he did play. He’s certainly a top level CONCACAF defender.

The women concede an early goal but Mewis and Lynn Williams come through. 2-1 US in the 34’. They also had another goal taken away by an offside elbow.

So it was too late so I didn’t watch, but apparently the distasteful Mexican fans helped them win last night. Canada was tied 1-1 and on the front foot, and in the 88th minute the fans started with that chant that FIFA is trying to eliminate. So they stopped the game for 7 minutes and then when they restarted, Mexico grabbed the game winner.

they’ll never seriously punish Mexico, because as @Pitt79 says, it’s all about money.

US/Holland 2-2 in extra time. Hate to say it but the Dutch have been the better side. I haven’t recognized this US team in this tourney. Hope they can find a way to advance.

US/Holland 2-2 in extra time. Hate to say it but the Dutch have been the better side. I haven’t recognized this US team in this tourney. Hope they can find a way to advance.
Press scores in the 110th, but of course because her shirt sleeve was an inch ahead of the defender the goal is disallowed. 8 disallowed goals in 4 games. Brutal.

Unfortunately the US was clutch in penalties and the Dutch were not.

They just aren’t as deep as the US. I thought the US was better in the extra time by far.

Unfortunately the US was clutch in penalties and the Dutch were not.
Alyssa Naeher is absolute money on PKs. If she doesn’t make the save late against England, we don’t win the World Cup. If she doesn’t make that save late against Holland we are already on the bus. There were a lot of doubters after Hope Solo was cut, but she has answered them all.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Alyssa Naeher is absolute money on PKs. If she doesn’t make the save late against England, we don’t win the World Cup. If she doesn’t make that save late against Holland we are already on the bus. There were a lot of doubters after Hope Solo was cut, but she has answered them all.
Not sure which one it was because they all bleed together…but the save she made diving to her right was really good. It might have been the PK earlier in the game. But she had a couple good ones. And a couple were dreadful attempts.

They sent out an email today to the people who are eligible to buy tickets. You have to be either a US Soccer Insider, a member of one of the fan support groups (like the American Outlaws) or a Cincinnati season ticket holder to be allowed to enter a draw for tickets. And you had to have been a member by two days ago to be eligible, so there won't be any fans (of either team) signing up today to get a chance to buy tickets.

I've tried before when the game was in Columbus and never won the lottery. I think I'll try again this time, with Cincinnati not being that much further of a drive. Pitt - North Carolina football on Thursday night, drive to Cincinnati Friday morning, US - Mexico Friday night, drive home on Saturday. Sounds like a good weekend.
Looks like I'm going to have to Stubhub it.

Turner
Robinson
Moore
Acosta
Busio
Hoppe
Dike

I think Turner might be better than Steffen. Robinson looks solid. Acosta will be a Tyler Adams backup, and Adams is injury prone. Busio is only 18, has a great future and should help qualify. Dike disappointed me, but I still think he has HUGE upside. Hopefully he will be a force by 2026. And Hoppe could be in our top 11.

edit: I’ll also add Zimmerman to the list. He got hurt early in tourney and hasn’t played. But I think he’s a very good center back option. He was the top center back in MLS apparently. But as my one friend keeps telling me…if he was any good, he wouldn’t be in the MLS. Still, I liked what I saw when he did play. He’s certainly a top level CONCACAF defender.
Serious soccer fans sometimes are strange animals to me, like the way they think Zardes sucks, because of his first touch, but all he does is deliver goals and assists?

Serious soccer fans sometimes are strange animals to me, like the way they think Zardes sucks, because of his first touch, but all he does is deliver goals and assists?
I like zardes coming on late as a sub/energy. But if he’s our top #9, which he isn’t, it’s a gaping hole in our top 11. He’s like Alex Morgan who piles up goals against outmatched opponents. He delivered last night though. It’s the first time I’ve seen him do it, and I’m glad he did.

additionally, Dike’s first touch eluded him last night and I’m 100% behind him. But he needs to improve. He has a long way to go.

I always liked Zardes. He reminds me of guys like Eddie Johnson and Wondo. Not physically gifted but just scores goals. He is what he is. I couldn't wait for Dike to get out of there so Zardes could come in.

Turner
Robinson
Moore
Acosta
Busio
Hoppe
Dike

Turner - the clear #2 behind Steffen right now and could push him though I think Steffen is your starter in Qatar.

Robinson - wouldn't be surprised if he's on the plane. And that other CB spot next to Brooks is wide open. Could be him

Moore - we have 20 guys like him

Acosta - backup to Adams as you said

Busio - is he the next Julian Greene or Weston McKennie. Too early to tell

Dike - has a ways to go. Cant see him on the squad right now. I mean he was playing against Pitt a few years ago.

I like zardes coming on late as a sub/energy. But if he’s our top #9, which he isn’t, it’s a gaping hole in our top 11. He’s like Alex Morgan who piles up goals against outmatched opponents. He delivered last night though. It’s the first time I’ve seen him do it, and I’m glad he did.

additionally, Dike’s first touch eluded him last night and I’m 100% behind him. But he needs to improve. He has a long way to go.
That was his second goal this tournament. Who says he has to be #1, but he's not a bad guy off the bench to light a fire under things.

That was his second goal this tournament. Who says he has to be #1, but he's not a bad guy off the bench to light a fire under things.
I don’t disagree. But it’s still a big problem for the US right now.

Turner - the clear #2 behind Steffen right now and could push him though I think Steffen is your starter in Qatar.

Robinson - wouldn't be surprised if he's on the plane. And that other CB spot next to Brooks is wide open. Could be him

Moore - we have 20 guys like him

Acosta - backup to Adams as you said

Busio - is he the next Julian Greene or Weston McKennie. Too early to tell

Dike - has a ways to go. Cant see him on the squad right now. I mean he was playing against Pitt a few years ago.
If we were betting today, I’d put money on Moore making the WC squad. Maybe there is a little recency bias setting in with me but I don’t think so. Moore and Robinson have really helped their cases.

If we were betting today, I’d put money on Moore making the WC squad. Maybe there is a little recency bias setting in with me but I don’t think so. Moore and Robinson have really helped their cases.
Moore as a MF or fullback?

Press scores in the 110th, but of course because her shirt sleeve was an inch ahead of the defender the goal is disallowed. 8 disallowed goals in 4 games. Brutal.
The offsides stuff is a friggin joke. All defenders have to do is constantly take a step forward..... And the game last night was ridiculous also. And my god, I am all for the penalties (yellow and or red) for this fake dying everytime someone is bumped. My god, be men about it. They act like babies.

Not sure which one it was because they all bleed together…but the save she made diving to her right was really good. It might have been the PK earlier in the game. But she had a couple good ones. And a couple were dreadful attempts.
The save on the header late in the game was fantastic. But the first save on the PK (same chick too) was great. US is money..

But they need some younger girls playing now.

The save on the header late in the game was fantastic. But the first save on the PK (same chick too) was great. US is money..

But they need some younger girls playing now.
The way she played, SHE deserves the headlines. If not for her, they lose in regulation. That’s a fact. Yet I see people praising them for advancing on Rapinoe’s kick! Are you freaking kidding me? She was a late substitution non factor who just happened to be the 4th shooter in the shootout after her first three teammates made theirs and Alyssa saved two! I’m sorry, but hashtagging Rapinoe and putting her in the headline reeks of woke bias and nothing else.

I’ve enjoyed watching this B team more than I thought.

Agreed on Dike - he has the tools but has been pretty ineffective especially since injuring his shoulder.

Busio - I really love his movement around the field and one touch passes. But on free kicks he almost never gets air under the ball. That should be easily corrected though like playing a wedge in golf.

I think Hoppe might stick around too. He oozes effort and drive - was surprised to see him get into it with Berhalter. I wonder if he can play the 9 if Sargent or Dike can’t get it done.

Kellen Acosta showing he has something to prove last night too.

I always liked Zardes. He reminds me of guys like Eddie Johnson and Wondo. Not physically gifted but just scores goals. He is what he is. I couldn't wait for Dike to get out of there so Zardes could come in.

That's actually a good comparison. He's probably a little worse than Johnson and a little better than Wondolowski. And neither one of them was ever a high level striker either. All three of them were guys who did just fine when you were playing mid to low level Concacaf teams, and none of them were good enough to be regular scorers against high level international opponents.

Dike has not played well the last two games. Other than him being in the right place at the right time once last night (and for a striker that can sometimes be enough) Zardes was essentially invisible for both of the last two games. He runs around a lot to no real effect. For example, the play last night when the game announcers were talking about the great run that he made. You know, the one where he made the "great run" and then when the ball came to him he tried to chest it down and completely whiffed on it so the ball rolled over the end line.

This is the USA B team.

Three of the guys who played last night were on the roster that won the Nations League. All three played both games. Two of them each started one of the games. It would pity the fool who doesn't think that at least all three of those guys will play with the A Team in the qualifiers and at the World Cup, assuming they stay healthy. And any of the three potential center forwards that played last night (Zardes, Dike and Hoppe) will play at least some of the qualifiers and if any of them can show that they can score consistently they will be on the roster for the World Cup.

Dike’s first touch on that ball shaq Moore sent to him was awful. In that respect, he reminds me of Romelu Lukaku from several years ago. Many called Lukaku trampoline feet. And now a few years later, he’s a top 3-4 striker in the world. It’s unfair to compare Dike to Lukaku, but the position takes a few years to master. But when I see Dike, I see a mix between Lebron James and Lukaku. Just a physical specimen that I hope will be an intimidating force in a few years.

BTW, Tajon Buchanan from Canada played at Syracuse? I had no idea. That kid can play. Had as pretty a step-over/goal against Mexico as you'll see anywhere. He's about to sold to Europe. Ironically, that could open things up for Edward Kizza at New England

Berhalter is going to have a tough decision to make between the sticks. Matt Turner is not only playing well but he looks very comfortable doing so. All keepers except a few have flaws but being a shot stopper isn't a flaw with Turner. He is shaky with the ball at his feet but boy he keeps the ball out of the net.

All keepers except a few have flaws but being a shot stopper isn't a flaw with Turner. He is shaky with the ball at his feet but boy he keeps the ball out of the net.

Which will be interesting, because it's obvious that Berhalter values a goalie who is good with the ball at his feet.

He is having another good game tonight so far though.

Reactions: anon_4dfwm2pijbr0a
Mexico playing much quicker and working the outside with extra numbers. They will score soon.

i stand corrected. Us decided to finally play some offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_4dfwm2pijbr0a
Need to capitalize on the counter. They're not going to get any iffy calls from the ref. He has been calling it very very tight. Smartly, he wants nothing to do with a Nations League Final repeat.

And Zardes...that's why he gets the criticism he gets.

Hector Herrera again flirting with a red card with a really high boot to Williamson

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT