ADVERTISEMENT

USA Soccer thread

That would be the biggest worry right now, that he'd get absolutely destroyed physically playing in a region where the refs allow way too much physical play.
As you may have read here I’m a huge chelsea fan. I have been for a long time. Obviously I was happy the day they signed Pulisic. But he’s had unfortunate muscle injuries that have slowed his chelsea career. But the Pulisic we saw out of the lockdown was incredible and he was one of the best players in the league. He carried chelsea to the top 4. But now with this latest knock he picked up, fans are growing tired. He’s still adored there but there’s a vocal number of them in the Twitter cesspool who rag on him for his injuries. The thing is, this year he was fit and ready to take the league by storm. Then he got Covid (not his fault). Then he got destroyed vs Honduras. Anyone who saw that game saw a kid who fought and fought for his national team and he got abused physically so This ankle injury isn’t his fault either. For someone like him who is an elite dribbler, these things will happen. Especially in Concacaf unfortunately. Chelsea fans in England don’t see it because when he plays in Central America, they’re all in bed. But when he reports to training upon his return to chelsea and spends all his time with the physios instead of his teammates on the training ground pitches, fans don’t understand. For me it’s tiresome. I just hope he gets healthy and can put together a strong season. He had the worst luck. And his playing style doesn’t help.

I also wanted to point out something about the Mexico - El Salvador game last night. I watched the last 20 or so minutes on CBSSN this morning on replay. We always look at these things from a US perspective and we see the way that the US players get treated in some of these road venues, well the Mexico players got the same thing last night in El Salvador. Their players were continually being pelted with water bottles, especially the goalie, especially whenever El Salvador had the ball in an attacking position. And while I was watching the ref didn't do anything at all to stop it. Didn't stop the game, didn't have an announcement made to the crowd to try to get them to stop, didn't threaten to clear the building, just continued to allow fans to throw things at the Mexican players.

Mexico's second goal came on a PK in stoppage time. When the player was running up to take the kick people were throwing bottles in an effort to distract him. Which obviously didn't work. And the odd thing is that no one seem to care that there were all these bottles laying on the field while the game was going on. No one ever came out to clear them off, and none of the players did anything about them other than maybe kick one out of the way if it got in their way. If I were the Mexican goalie I would have been trying to get them off the field when play was at the other end, just on the off chance that a ball would hit one of them and take a funny bounce into the goal, but he didn't seem to care at all (other than I am sure that he cared that none of them hit him in the first place). By the end of the game there were literally dozens of bottles in the Mexican penalty area, and no one seem to think anything of it.

I saw the highlights. El Salvador should have to play without fans for that display. People laugh it off and say "that's CONCACAF." OK but why does the US have to play in it? At least make an attempt to join UEFA.

I saw the highlights. El Salvador should have to play without fans for that display. People laugh it off and say "that's CONCACAF." OK but why does the US have to play in it? At least make an attempt to join UEFA.

If you saw the US games against El Salvador and Honduras, in both places when the US was taking a corner police officers had to stand next to the corner taker holding up their riot shields to keep the stuff that the fans were throwing from hitting the guy who was taking the corner.

You can't legislate against individual idiots, because there are some of them everywhere. But when it is so bad that the police and security know ahead of time that they are going to have to use riot gear to protect visiting players and they still do nothing at all to stop it, that's a problem.

And the US will never join UEFA, so stop it. ;)

If you saw the US games against El Salvador and Honduras, in both places when the US was taking a corner police officers had to stand next to the corner taker holding up their riot shields to keep the stuff that the fans were throwing from hitting the guy who was taking the corner.

You can't legislate against individual idiots, because there are some of them everywhere. But when it is so bad that the police and security know ahead of time that they are going to have to use riot gear to protect visiting players and they still do nothing at all to stop it, that's a problem.

And the US will never join UEFA, so stop it. ;)

I know they will never but they should at least make an attempt. We all know there are other countries playing outside of their continent for various reasons. Give it a shot.

I know they will never but they should at least make an attempt. We all know there are other countries playing outside of their continent for various reasons. Give it a shot.

Yeah, but there aren't any of those countries who play outside of their region "just because". It is always either for competitive reasons (Australia being too good for Oceana or the South American countries not being competitive at all with the other teams on their continent) or political ones (Israel playing in Europe so their players don't get killed playing in Arab countries).

The US isn't too good for CONCACAF, and there are no political reasons why the US can't play in Panama or any place else. "We would just rather play somewhere else" isn't a good enough reason in anyone's mind.

Yeah, but there aren't any of those countries who play outside of their region "just because". It is always either for competitive reasons (Australia being too good for Oceana or the South American countries not being competitive at all with the other teams on their continent) or political ones (Israel playing in Europe so their players don't get killed playing in Arab countries).

The US isn't too good for CONCACAF, and there are no political reasons why the US can't play in Panama or any place else. "We would just rather play somewhere else" isn't a good enough reason in anyone's mind.
An American merger would make sense IMO, for both the fans and the pocketbooks of all involved. Seeing as how it is as rigged as possible for the US to qualify, I don’t see this happening anytime soon.

Is Guyana and Suriname not being good enough for CONMEBOL really a valid reason? Neither country is much worse than Bolivia.

I don't disagree but safety/political reasons could at least be concocted to make a case. It is irresponsible to not at least try.

Is Guyana and Suriname not being good enough for CONMEBOL really a valid reason? Neither country is much worse than Bolivia.

In the latest World Football ELO Rankings Bolivia is the 53rd best team in the world. Guyana is 170th and Suriname is 124th, so, ah, yeah, they are a lot worse than Bolivia.

By way of comparison. the gap in points between Bolivia and Guyana is almost exactly the same in as the gap between the US and, well, Suriname. And that gap is huge.

And the funny thing is that for how bad Suriname is and how large the gulf is between them and countries like the US and Mexico, they are currently ranked 14th out of 41 in CONCACAF. There are lots of teams that they not only are competitive with in CONCACAF, there are lots of teams that they are significantly better than. If they played in CONMEBOL they would basically never win a game. Most of the time they wouldn't even come close. That's why they don't play there.

In the latest World Football ELO Rankings Bolivia is the 53rd best team in the world. Guyana is 170th and Suriname is 124th, so, ah, yeah, they are a lot worse than Bolivia.

By way of comparison. the gap in points between Bolivia and Guyana is almost exactly the same in as the gap between the US and, well, Suriname. And that gap is huge.

And the funny thing is that for how bad Suriname is and how large the gulf is between them and countries like the US and Mexico, they are currently ranked 14th out of 41 in CONCACAF. There are lots of teams that they not only are competitive with in CONCACAF, there are lots of teams that they are significantly better than. If they played in CONMEBOL they would basically never win a game. Most of the time they wouldn't even come close. That's why they don't play there.

That might be what the rankings say but there is not a significant talent gap between those teams. Bolivia wins that game 1-0 or 2-0. Plus in CONMEBOL, maybe the Surinamese born and raised in the Netherlands or the Guyanese born and raised in England decide to play for the team.

Either way, competition level is not the sole reason why they aren't in CONMEBOL. It has more to do with cultural fit as the population of those nations are similar to Caribbean nations.

All I'm saying is the USA could make a case and knowing FIFA, if they made the proper bribe, or not even a bribe, like if they committed to spend X amount of UEFA money to build new facilities for Caribbean countries, they could get in.

That might be what the rankings say but there is not a significant talent gap between those teams. Bolivia wins that game 1-0 or 2-0.

You're being silly again.

12 games into their qualifying cycle Bolivia is four points out of an automatic World Cup qualifying spot. If either Suriname or Guyana were 12 games into a CONMEBOL qualifying campaign they would be unlikely to have more than one or two points. And maybe not even that many.

Josh Sargent starting against Chelsea this AM on NBCSN.

Norwich are completely impotent in this league. This was a bad move for Sargent, he should have stayed with Bremen even though they went down to the 2. Bundesliga.

The next few weeks might cement that thought for me, Norwich have some more manageable fixtures with Leeds and Brentford even though they are doing well.

He's actually started their last five, three before the international break and the last two counting today.

In their last game against Brighton he got the ball and got past the last defender and the goalie came way out and missed the ball, so basically had a wide open net to shoot at from just outside the top corner of the 18 yard box. But he didn't hit the ball very hard, and before it could roll into the goal the defender on the other side of the field was able to run it down and keep it out.

Reactions: srpst23
Big match this week vs Mexico. Who’s going to the sold out match? Pulisic is back.

I was hoping he would get 20 - 30 minutes today, but it looks like he only played 5.

Are they going to be able to start him on Friday knowing that he probably can't come anywhere close to playing a full 90?
Seemed like maybe >10 minutes today. He and Mount went up to the line at ‘82 and then there was extra time. I was hoping he’d play 30 today. Tuchel waited too long to put him and Mount into the game. He played more the other day. I think he’s fit. I’d expect him to start and play 60.

I was never real serious about selling them because I didn't think I'd get that much. Maybe I will list them at some sky high price and if someone buys them, great. Gotta figure out what this game is worth to see live.

I don't know how they are selling, but the cheapest resale price on the Ticketmaster web site is $350 for an upper level corner seat.

BTW, this is as good a place as any to put this. Did anyone see that the Riverhounds made the playoffs but have to forfeit their game tomorrow because so many of the players have tested positive for covid that they couldn't field a team?

Now that's a heck of a way to lose a playoff game.

Reactions: USN_Panther
BTW, this is as good a place as any to put this. Did anyone see that the Riverhounds made the playoffs but have to forfeit their game tomorrow because so many of the players have tested positive for covid that they couldn't field a team?

Ahhh. I did see a tweet from the steel army that alluded to something. That does suck for them.

btw…this steel army, should anyone be impressed? I remember once seeing on social media that Pitt fans could learn a thing or two from them. I suppose there’s a joke in there somewhere for a Nitter or Hoopie…but I just don’t see anything special about a group of 30 people who have nothing original with what they do. But I really haven’t paid attention.

now, I do think we could learn a thing or two from the Portland Thorns fans or the Seattle Sounder fans.

I heard Chick-fil-A is the best vaccination against covid. Riverhounds should have kept selling chicken sandwiches, they wouldn’t have an entire team out.

How exactly does that happen in November 2021? The Riverhounds are a disgrace and not just because of this.

Ask the Penguins. It appears vaccines, while helpful, aren’t preventing COVID.

I dont follow the Pens but basically I think you are right. I don't think they offer a ton of protection from getting Covid but they do work magically in preventing symptomatic Covid, serious illness, and death and that's pretty awesome.

BTW, I went on the USA site because they're offering pre-paid parking for tonight. $60. WTF. Is that for a spot next to Berhalter. I paid $5 for a Columbus garage across from Nationwide arena and a 10 minute walk. I will try the same in Cincy though I hear the stadium isnt downtown and is in a "neighborhood" so that might be more challenging. Maybe I'll DM Tyler Boyd (the Bengal, not the USMNT one) and ask if I can park at his house.

I dont follow the Pens but basically I think you are right. I don't think they offer a ton of protection from getting Covid but they do work magically in preventing symptomatic Covid, serious illness, and death and that's pretty awesome.

BTW, I went on the USA site because they're offering pre-paid parking for tonight. $60. WTF. Is that for a spot next to Berhalter. I paid $5 for a Columbus garage across from Nationwide arena and a 10 minute walk. I will try the same in Cincy though I hear the stadium isnt downtown and is in a "neighborhood" so that might be more challenging. Maybe I'll DM Tyler Boyd (the Bengal, not the USMNT one) and ask if I can park at his house.
Look for places to park near city bike rentals. If there is an option in Cincy and you don’t mind biking. I did it in Houston. Rented bike near my hotel and road to the Houston stadium for like $2.00 each way. Or look for scooters. KuT don’t know what cincy offers. Some cities are dumping the scooters.

Good luck with parking, and have fun!

The politics are ridiculous and thank the lobbyists for that. They own our leaders. People hate Aaron Rodgers for something that is none of their business. I may not agree with his choice but it is his personal choice. I’d put the odds of him getting infected with Covid from a vaccinated person at 99% likely. So what’s the point? His antibodies are pretty strong now.

Italy and Portugal failed to qualify for World Cup. Have to go to playoff in March.

That's nuts. It doesn't make sense except Europe get screwed in qualifying.
Well I’d fully expect them to still qualify. But hey, not like it didn’t happen in the last cycle. Just crazy that the Euro champion couldn’t even win their group and now has to go the difficult route.

Reactions: noelr
Italy and Portugal failed to qualify for World Cup. Have to go to playoff in March.

There's always 1 or 2 giants that have to go through a playoff. Remember France and Henry's handball?

Europe should get more bids. Even when it goes to 48, they only get 15. That's crazy.

There's always 1 or 2 giants that have to go through a playoff. Remember France and Henry's handball?

Europe should get more bids. Even when it goes to 48, they only get 15. That's crazy.
Nuts.
That said, when they expand it’ll make qualifying for US players easy…so it should make the international windows easier for the guys playing in Europe.

The politics are ridiculous and thank the lobbyists for that. They own our leaders. People hate Aaron Rodgers for something that is none of their business. I may not agree with his choice but it is his personal choice. I’d put the odds of him getting infected with Covid from a vaccinated person at 99% likely. So what’s the point? His antibodies are pretty strong now.
You are incorrect most likely. He tested positive for Covid, but he was treated with covid antibodies. Most likely that treatment will block his immune system from producing antibodies against covid19 because his body has high Covid antibodies levels from the treatment. These antibodies only last a month or so. He will very likely be able to get Covid again unless he is given the vaccine. This has nothing to do with politics. Rodgers and others who do not get the vaccine are mostly very misinformed, stupid, or just plain selfish. In this case it is other’s business because his decision to not get the vaccine affects many other people, not just his own health.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT