ADVERTISEMENT

USA vs Mexico! Incredible

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Looking forward to a fun match tomorrow night in the Nations League semifinal. With the entire band back together, and the addition of Balogun who just declared for the US, here’s my attempt at a lineup.

—– Turner —–
Dest -Zimmerman - M. Robinson -Jedi Rob

—- McKennie —- Musah —-

—- Weah —- Reyna —- Pulisic —-

—– Balogun —–

Only thing I hate is that 10pm start because the match is in Vegas. Might have to take a nap. US soccer with a missed opportunity in prime time with the NBA and NHL over.

Yeah, that's a dumb starting time. I get that they have to play a doubleheader so that kind of limits them, but no one gives a rat's arse about Panama v Canada, so start that game an hour earlier to at least get the US - Mexico game on at 9:00.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Really disappointed that the USMNT is fielding the A side for these 2 games but a B side for the Gold Cup. I would have preferred to see the A side in a full tournament then 2 games this week for a made-up trophy.

Really disappointed that the USMNT is fielding the A side for these 2 games but a B side for the Gold Cup. I would have preferred to see the A side in a full tournament then 2 games this week for a made-up trophy.
Is there a stated rationale for that? I haven’t paid attention. On the surface, it’s seems that a semi and final in the Nations League is suited best for our senior stars, as opposed to group play matches in the Gold cup a week later vs poor competition. Additionally, it allows our senior players to play and then go on break for a few weeks before camp starts up with their club teams. It’s in US soccer’s best interest for our boys to get to their club camps and battle for roles. As an example, Premier League Clubs will be touring and playing friendlies in the USA while Gold Cup is going on…and then the league season starts on August 12th. As you know, there’s essentially no off season for world class footballers. If guys like McKinnie and Pulisic can get the last two weeks of June and the first week or two of July off to recharge, it will be better for them and US Soccer in the long run.

Is there a stated rationale for that? I haven’t paid attention. On the surface, it’s seems that a semi and final in the Nations League is suited best for our senior stars, as opposed to group play matches in the Gold cup a week later vs poor competition. Additionally, it allows our senior players to play and then go on break for a few weeks before camp starts up with their club teams. It’s in US soccer’s best interest for our boys to get to their club camps and battle for roles. As an example, Premier League Clubs will be touring and playing friendlies in the USA while Gold Cup is going on…and then the league season starts on August 12th. As you know, there’s essentially no off season for world class footballers. If guys like McKinnie and Pulisic can get the last two weeks of June and the first week or two of July off to recharge, it will be better for them and US Soccer in the long run.

What you are saying is true but then dont have the Gold Cup a week after the Nations League. Change the calendar and have it the next year. Are they still doing the Gold Cup every 2 years? That seems unnecessary. If they need to have a continential month-long tournament, they shouldn't be competing against another of their own tournaments. I prefer the short tournament format and would prefer to see our A team in the Gold Cup for what I deem as more of a real trophy. If that means playing them vs a small 🏝 then so be it. Rest the starters that game.

Really looking forward to seeing what Balogun can do and hope Joe Scally gets a run tonight instead of Dest. Wish Ty Adams was healthy but I think we get the Dub tonight.

Really looking forward to seeing what Balogun can do and hope Joe Scally gets a run tonight instead of Dest. Wish Ty Adams was healthy but I think we get the Dub tonight.
It's a top roster for the US but maybe a bit below Mexico's best. Mexico will have a ton of fans and they have a permanent coach though. Should be a good game

Reactions: Allan McMurray
It's a top roster for the US but maybe a bit below Mexico's best. Mexico will have a ton of fans and they have a permanent coach though. Should be a good game
Ehhh. I don’t know about that. We have 3 times the players playing in the top 5 leagues. Now granted, arguably our 3 best players are coming off bad club seasons, but I’d take those three over any Mexican player.

But soccer is about the best 11 who play well together so maybe a Mexican team that predominantly is comprised of North American players would be a better “team”.

Reactions: brdst11
Can you sell me on him? I get that he was a great player and is a name but is he a great manager?

Did well in MLS and was OK for Nice but his tenure at Palace didn't end well.
I’m not sure I can sell you. Lol. He just has pedigree that maybe no one else they are considering does. It’s a national team, so his possession type system might not gel. I dunno. I just like him over Marsch, or a TV guy, an MLS guy, or anyone involved in US Soccer.

@pitt90seven would have good insight as a Palace fan.

Patrick Veira? Yes please.

as a crystal palace fan, i could not disagree more. we went 3 games in a row with zero shots on goal. roy comes in and we start banging them in left and right.

they asked eze what the difference was: "roy just told me to do what i do." lol. viera had him in the wrong position. same with olise. put zaha in the wrong spot too. what a mess.

oh and he has less personality than a door stop. he did kick an everton fan once, tough, so he's got that going for him.

pretty sure i don't want anyone from US soccer, either. but i wouldn't endorse PV. what's bora up to these days?

According to Dunseth and Rennie on Sirius this morning, Crocker has interviewed 10 people approximately. I guess it's good that they're covering all bases. My question is what on earth does Derp have that CP, Weah and Company are putting their names behind him to get the job again.

as a crystal palace fan, i could not disagree more. we went 3 games in a row with zero shots on goal. roy comes in and we start banging them in left and right.

they asked eze what the difference was: "roy just told me to do what i do." lol. viera had him in the wrong position. same with olise. put zaha in the wrong spot too. what a mess.

oh and he has less personality than a door stop. he did kick an everton fan once, tough, so he's got that going for him.

pretty sure i don't want anyone from US soccer, either. but i wouldn't endorse PV. what's bora up to these days?
I'll be honest, I was always a fan of Bob Bradley. I think he got done so wrong. Not only with the National Team but at Swansea.

What’s bora?

What’s bora?

1991-gold-cupp1.ashx

I'll be honest, I was always a fan of Bob Bradley. I think he got done so wrong. Not only with the National Team but at Swansea.

the swansea fans had a cartoon of him called brad bobley. thought that was clever.

swansea wasn't staying up that year no matter who was coach. i don't think he did a great job but he was the wrong man for the job. just a stupid hire by them.

bob's time with US soccer was the same as almost everyone in the last 20 years: flat and boring.

What channel is it on? My TV listings show it's on a Spanish language channel only. Is it on a streaming service, I checked Peacock, not there.

Pay the money for paramount +…watch the soccer and watch The Offer series. Then cancel. You’ll thank me. I think it’s like $6 per month.

You are just paying to have someone tell you what's going on in English rather than Spanish when you can see what's going on with your eyes.

So you'd prefer them to play the full side in the tournament for a made up trophy instead of playing them in the tournament for a made up trophy?

I guarantee the players and the clubs those players play for are much happier than those guys are playing for the first made up trophy rather than the second one.

Ehhh. I don’t know about that. We have 3 times the players playing in the top 5 leagues. Now granted, arguably our 3 best players are coming off bad club seasons, but I’d take those three over any Mexican player.

But soccer is about the best 11 who play well together so maybe a Mexican team that predominantly is comprised of North American players would be a better “team”.
Don't know much about him but Edson Alvarez evidently had a good year at Ajax and is being looked at by some bigger teams.

They're missing Chucky Lozano from Napoli among others

Apparently there’s a one month free trial if you log on to Paramount +.

So you'd prefer them to play the full side in the tournament for a made up trophy instead of playing them in the tournament for a made up trophy?

I guarantee the players and the clubs those players play for are much happier than those guys are playing for the first made up trophy rather than the second one.

Yes. The Gold Cup is at least a continental tournament with some history. And I'd rather see these guys in more games. Mexico is playing a B side in the Nations League and an A side in the Gold Cup. We are doing the opposite. So there's that.

I view the Nations League as friendlies. In fact, the USSF was totally opposed to this league since it gave them more games vs 3rd world countries (and road games) instead of more attractive friendles. And now they are fielding an A side to play against the Mexican B team.

Also, I dont know why I get Paramount+ and Peacock. I swear I dont pay for it.

Yes. The Gold Cup is at least a continental tournament with some history. And I'd rather see these guys in more games. Mexico is playing a B side in the Nations League and an A side in the Gold Cup. We are doing the opposite. So there's that.

I view the Nations League as friendlies. In fact, the USSF was totally opposed to this league since it gave them more games vs 3rd world countries (and road games) instead of more attractive friendles. And now they are fielding an A side to play against the Mexican B team.

Also, I dont know why I get Paramount+ and Peacock. I swear I dont pay for it.
I thought this was Mexico’s A Team tonight? Plus, they don’t have to worry as much about reporting to camp in Europe in a couple weeks.

The problem with that is that there are, for the most part, not more attractive friendlies that they can play. During most of the Nation's League windows the European teams are playing their Nation's League, so you can pretty much count them out. And because they have so many more World Cup qualifiers to play, during most of those windows CONMEBOL is playing qualifiers, so you can't play any of them either.

So you are left with African teams, assuming that it's not time for African Cup of Nations qualifiers, or Asian teams, assuming that they aren't having qualifiers for the Asian Cup. In short, it's a lot harder to get quality friendlies than it used to be. CONCACAF's Nation's League was their response to that reality.

Number of caps of the Mexico starters:

Total of 495.

Number of caps of the US starters:

Total of 286.

Unless I'm looking at an incorrect roster I don't see them on the Gold Cup roster either. Or is the assumption that they'll get added later?

I don't think you can add to the preliminary rosters. If you aren't on the preliminary roster you can't play.

As an example, when the US had to submit one of the rosters (either Nation's League or Gold Cup) Balogun had not yet decided to play for the US. People at US Soccer called his people and told him they were going to put him on their preliminary roster because if they didn't and he later decided for the US he wouldn't be able to play. So they wanted him to be ready for the inevitable questions he was going to get when the roster was released.

As it turned out, his announcement that he was going to play for the US actually came a day or two before CONCACAF released the rosters (although it was after the rosters had to be submitted).

good to see the loser mexican fan base just can't help themselves with the Puta chant. concacaf and fifa are to cowardly to actually enforce their tough talk

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT