ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT: Dest, De La Fuente Both Play in Champions League Tie

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
Sergino Dest played in his second Champions League match for Barcelona, starting at RB and playing the entire match. He scored Barca’s first goal and was flawless on defense. Without question, the Man of the Match. Dynamo Kyiv stopped trying to attack do

Konrad De La Fuente came in in the 83rd minute on the right wing. This might be the first time two USMNT players have played on the same side in a Champions League game. It also was his debut with the first team, as he was called up from the B side for the match.

Barca won 4-0 despite fielding a side without many of their usual starters, including Leo Messi.

Last edited:
Sergino Dest played in his second Champions League match for Barcelona, starting at RB and playing the entire match. He scored Barca’s first goal and was flawless on defense. Without question, the Man of the Match. Dynamo Kyiv stopped trying to attack do

Konrad De La Fuente came in in the 83rd minute on the right wing. This might be the first time two USMNT players have played on the same side in a Champions League game. It also was his debut with the first team, as he was called up from the B side for the match.

Barca won 3-0 despite fielding a side without many of their usual starters, including Leo Messi.

Have they played in La Liga yet? Even Julian Green played some CL games vs terrible competition for Bayern. Dest is legit. Im not sure about Konrad yet.

Dest has started at RB a few times. He now is their regular RB but isn’t playing every game because the schedule now is insane: two matches a week.

De La Fuente made his debut in this match and it was only for 12 minutes. He has been playing for Barca B. He was one of 5 B players called up for this match.

This is the solution to future World Cup success. You must have your players playing with and against the best in the world. You cannot field a team full of MLS players. You need guys who train day in and day out with top quality players.

I watched it live. The two even linked up for a goal late but the 1-2 combination play between the two ended with a Dest rocket over the bar. Just the fact that two Americans linked up together for a club like Barcelona in a CL game was a semi thunderous noise that US Soccer sent around the soccer world. And on the same day, Reyna started and almost scored for Dortmund. Too bad Pulisic is not fit as he would have surely started for Chelsea if healthy. Not sure if McKinney played yesterday.
7 Americans have logged minutes in this CL season.

I watched it live. The two even linked up for a goal late but the 1-2 combination play between the two ended with a Dest rocket over the bar. Just the fact that two Americans linked up together for a club like Barcelona in a CL game was a semi thunderous noise that US Soccer sent around the soccer world. And on the same day, Reyna started and almost scored for Dortmund. Too bad Pulisic is not fit as he would have surely started for Chelsea if healthy. Not sure if McKinney played yesterday.
7 Americans have logged minutes in this CL season.

Until he proves otherwise, Konrad is another Julian Green to me.

Whatever happened with Greens development I remember how amped I was when he scored that goal in the World Cup and he kind of just fell off the map

Whatever happened with Greens development I remember how amped I was when he scored that goal in the World Cup and he kind of just fell off the map

He's basically Freddy Adu. Peaked at 17-18. He plays in the German 2nd Division and is an ordiary player there. He's probably not one of the Top 50 Americans and will probably never play a competitive match for the USMNT again.

He's basically Freddy Adu. Peaked at 17-18. He plays in the German 2nd Division and is an ordiary player there. He's probably not one of the Top 50 Americans and will probably never play a competitive match for the USMNT again.
What a shame and since you seem to be in the know whatever happened with Gideon Zelalem he was supposed to be a great piece for the USA as well

What a shame and since you seem to be in the know whatever happened with Gideon Zelalem he was supposed to be a great piece for the USA as well

I had to google Zelalem. I was excited about him too. He played 1 game for NYCFC last season so basically, he sucks. I don't understand how you go from growing up, playing for the German Youth National team and then you can't even get time in MLS.

The US has a ton of busts but somehow all these young kids coming through at the same time are actually the real deal. Not world superstars but legitimate Champions League level starters.

Reactions: DevilDog42
You only need 1 maybe 2 superstars and a stud goalie to go along with 8 other champions league caliber players to have a chance at a cup, and I feel like the USA legitimately has that for the first time in my 36 years

You only need 1 maybe 2 superstars and a stud goalie to go along with 8 other champions league caliber players to have a chance at a cup, and I feel like the USA legitimately has that for the first time in my 36 years

Not in 2022. Too young. Plus we don't have a true #9 which is critical. These kids aren't big-time goal scorers. In 2026 on home soil, I can see a run to the semis maybe.

Not in 2022. Too young. Plus we don't have a true #9 which is critical. These kids aren't big-time goal scorers. In 2026 on home soil, I can see a run to the semis maybe.
I agree but as of now there is no one in the pipeline to fill that true that is what this team will be missing you need to have that one true Goal Getter and that is what the US has always lacked

I agree but as of now there is no one in the pipeline to fill that true that is what this team will be missing you need to have that one true Goal Getter and that is what the US has always lacked

Another one of the young phenoms, Josh Sargent was thought of as maybe a guy who can fill that role. He's getting time at a lower-level Bundesliga club (which is still a huge accomplishment for an American) but he only has 5 goals in 1.5 seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT