ADVERTISEMENT

Vadar?

rockypanther

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Aug 10, 2001
How come Bub didn't have higher P5 college offers. He had a great AAU season with Team Melo and was a breakout player and ranked top 100. He is pretty special. What am I missing?

How come Bub didn't have higher P5 college offers. He had a great AAU season with Team Melo and was a breakout player and ranked top 100. He is pretty special. What am I missing?

1) He committed to Pitt early while offers were still minimal

2) His first 2 sessions of the EYBL he was coming off the bench and not putting up big numbers. It was at the DMV live he started to find another gear and started to really heat up scoring and playmaking. After the DMV live, a player on his aau team left and another got hurt opening up much more playing time. With that extra playing time, he became the teams go to scorer and playmaker on offense and he was checking the opposing teams best defender on defense from 1 through 4. This lasted all through the remaining sessions of the EYBL plus the peach jam. All it took was for anyone to just look at the AAU stats or just watch the games, but the guys that do recruiting rankings chose to rank 2 Uconn kids ahead of him that played on the same team. Solomon Ball had good aau numbers, And Jayden Ross was nothing more than a bunch of hype without substance with his 6 points per game or so in aau. Carrington was the stud on that team and carried that team on both sides of the ball when he became a starter.

3) He continued to improve as a senior, and had some of the best stats in Baltimore Catholic League history, a very good high school league that sends players to the NBA and many players that are stars in college at a high major level. When you tear up a quality high school league whether it is this one, the WCAC, the PCL, etc.,, anyone that follows high school basketball understands this player has high potential to do real damage in the future.

4) He continued to improve after the high school season. His passing ability and playmaking ability from his last high school game to his first Pitt game has seen significant development, much more so than even I anticipated.

Vader, I'm curious. After Carrington did this well in AAU and after he had already committed to Pitt, did any other major D1 school go after him to steal him away? I assume there were some. Just wondering who they were, if you know.

Vader, I'm curious. After Carrington did this well in AAU and after he had already committed to Pitt, did any other major D1 school go after him to steal him away? I assume there were some. Just wondering who they were, if you know.

Yes. Plenty of teams tried to get in contact with him and steal him from Pitt.

Capel has a very strong relationship with his father. Just like he has a strong relationship with Lowe's father. These relationships go back decades or so.

1) He committed to Pitt early while offers were still minimal

2) His first 2 sessions of the EYBL he was coming off the bench and not putting up big numbers. It was at the DMV live he started to find another gear and started to really heat up scoring and playmaking. After the DMV live, a player on his aau team left and another got hurt opening up much more playing time. With that extra playing time, he became the teams go to scorer and playmaker on offense and he was checking the opposing teams best defender on defense from 1 through 4. This lasted all through the remaining sessions of the EYBL plus the peach jam. All it took was for anyone to just look at the AAU stats or just watch the games, but the guys that do recruiting rankings chose to rank 2 Uconn kids ahead of him that played on the same team. Solomon Ball had good aau numbers, And Jayden Ross was nothing more than a bunch of hype without substance with his 6 points per game or so in aau. Carrington was the stud on that team and carried that team on both sides of the ball when he became a starter.

3) He continued to improve as a senior, and had some of the best stats in Baltimore Catholic League history, a very good high school league that sends players to the NBA and many players that are stars in college at a high major level. When you tear up a quality high school league whether it is this one, the WCAC, the PCL, etc.,, anyone that follows high school basketball understands this player has high potential to do real damage in the future.

4) He continued to improve after the high school season. His passing ability and playmaking ability from his last high school game to his first Pitt game has seen significant development, much more so than even I anticipated.
Wait…were the UConn kids on his AAU team the players that left and got hurt? Who was ahead of him on the depth chart?

Wait…were the UConn kids on his AAU team the players that left and got hurt? Who was ahead of him on the depth chart?

The 2 Uconn kids played the entire time on Carrington's team. I know this 100% as I watched every game Carrington was involved in starting the 3rd session onward.

Isaiah Coleman was one of these players I was talking about. He's a 4 star player. I dont remember the other player.

The 2 Uconn kids played the entire time. I know this 100% as I watched every game Carrington was involved in starting the 3rd session onward.

Isaiah Coleman was one of these players I was talking about. He's a 4 star player. I dont remember the other player.
Thanks. I’ll be watching his career.

Reactions: Vader_Storm
The 2 Uconn kids played the entire time on Carrington's team. I know this 100% as I watched every game Carrington was involved in starting the 3rd session onward.

Solomon Ball?

“One of five true freshmen on UConn’s 2023-24 roster… Comes to UConn after an outstanding high school career, spending his senior year at Brewster Academy (Wolfeboro, N.H.) and the two previous years at St. James School (Hagerstown, Md.)… Consensus Top 60 recruit… Lefthanded combo guard with lightning-quick speed and elite athleticism, a vertical leap of 43 inches and a 7-foot wingspan… Can score at all three levels and his style has been compared to a young Russell Westbrook… As a senior at Brewster Academy, he averaged 16.3 points, 4.6 rebounds, 1.4 assists per game and shot .529 overall and .842 from the foul line… He was named First Team All-NEPSAC Class AAA , First Team All-American (NextUpRecruits.net), was an Iverson Classic Selection and a nominee for McDonald’s All-American… As a junior at St. James School, averaged 25.4 points, 5.3 rebounds, 2.8 assists per game… Also played for Team Melo on AAU circuit – averaged 17.8 points, 5.5 rebounds, 1.3 assists and shot 57.0 percent overall for Nike EYBL Indianapolis and 14.8 points, 4.4 rebounds, 1.4 assists and 1.6 steals in five games for Nike EYBL Louisville… Teammates with fellow UConn freshman Jayden Ross at St. James School and Team Melo… ”

Solomon Ball?

“One of five true freshmen on UConn’s 2023-24 roster… Comes to UConn after an outstanding high school career, spending his senior year at Brewster Academy (Wolfeboro, N.H.) and the two previous years at St. James School (Hagerstown, Md.)… Consensus Top 60 recruit… Lefthanded combo guard with lightning-quick speed and elite athleticism, a vertical leap of 43 inches and a 7-foot wingspan… Can score at all three levels and his style has been compared to a young Russell Westbrook… As a senior at Brewster Academy, he averaged 16.3 points, 4.6 rebounds, 1.4 assists per game and shot .529 overall and .842 from the foul line… He was named First Team All-NEPSAC Class AAA , First Team All-American (NextUpRecruits.net), was an Iverson Classic Selection and a nominee for McDonald’s All-American… As a junior at St. James School, averaged 25.4 points, 5.3 rebounds, 2.8 assists per game… Also played for Team Melo on AAU circuit – averaged 17.8 points, 5.5 rebounds, 1.3 assists and shot 57.0 percent overall for Nike EYBL Indianapolis and 14.8 points, 4.4 rebounds, 1.4 assists and 1.6 steals in five games for Nike EYBL Louisville… Teammates with fellow UConn freshman Jayden Ross at St. James School and Team Melo… ”

Like I said, Soloman Ball and Jayden Ross played on the same team as Carrington. Both kids went to Uconn and both kids played the entire time on Carrington's team. Ball had good stats in the EYBL, but Carrington took over as the best player as the sessions continued and went into the peach jam. The Peach Jam is a completely separate tournament after the EYBL is over.

Isaiah Coleman not playing as the EYBL continued is one of the players I was talking about in regards to opening up playing time for Carrington. I don't remember the other player.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Like I said, Soloman Ball and Jayden Ross played on the same team as Carrington. Both kids went to Uconn and both kids played the entire time on Carrington's team. Ball had good stats in the EYBL, but Carrington took over as the best player as the sessions continued and went into the peach jam. The Peach Jam is a completely separate tournament after the EYBL is over.

Isaiah Coleman not playing as the EYBL continued is one of the players I was talking about in regards to opening up playing time for Carrington. I don't remember the other player.
Got it. Apologies.

Reactions: Vader_Storm
He’ll leave after his freshmen year for the same HUGE NIL deals I was told the overrated twins would leave for

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT