ADVERTISEMENT

Vader: Capel closing in on Monster Recruiting Class

Vader_Storm

Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
John Hugley IV- Hugley has now visited Pitt 4 times. His coach / handler has visited Pitt with Hugley. And His Coach is also helping Jeremy Holmes, a former Pitt basketball player, sell Holmes book Cheers to Fears on his social media sites (the cover of the book is below). I’ve reported on the importance of relationships in the past and how Capel is building them step by step. Hugley is one of the fastest rising players in the entire country with over 25+ offers and should be making his way into the National Top 50-75 as one of the best frontcourt players in the nation.

Chances he chooses Pitt- Very strong

51c49iDCksL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Jalen Bridges-Bridges has now taken 3 visits to Pitt in the last few months and is heading to Scotland Red Prep, the same school as Karim Coulibaly. If the pictures on social media showing him in a Pitt jersey have not led you to believe where Pitt sits with him, or that his updated twitter Picture is a cropped picture of his face in a Pitt uniform, or that Scotland’s Red Head Coach and Sports director have both been mentioning Pitt and Jeff Capel on social media along with Bridges, or that I and then recently Corey Evans both said Pitt is in very strong position for Bridges, or that Bridges continues to fight with West Virginia fans on every social media platform, or that Bridges said Hail to Pitt in a social media post then deleted it, you are far behind the 8-ball if you have missed all these events. Bridges has been steadily rising in the rankings and should see his ranking rise again in most of the updated National Top 75’s in the country.

RJ Davis

The fastest rising prospect in the entire country with offers from just about every school in the entire country. It’s a very good sign when the entire family visits Pitt, is talking about Pitt on social media, and also adding members from Scotland Red Prep and Pitt on their social media platforms. Capel recruited Davis harder than any other school this summer, and Pitt is in the drivers seat to get Davis with Marquette as I said months ago. The bond with the Davis family is very good, and the fit at Pitt is even better. Marquette and North Carolina will continue to push hard along with others. Davis has all the tools needed to be an absolute star at the college level as he is one of the deadliest shooters in the entire country from all areas on the floor. Capel and O’toole are still recruiting and calling Davis as I write this. Davis wanted to be recruited hard and wanted to be a “priority” recruit for the school he chooses and he made that known and our staff has delivered.

Earl Timberlake

It should come as zero surprise Timberlake is making his way back to Pitt a 3rd time for an official visit this time around, and I told everyone beforehand it was going to happen. It seems hard for some people to fathom that the interest between borderline 5 Star Earl Timberlake and Pitt is very high and for real. Timberlake once again has made it known sports medicine is important to him as I said this 9 months ago before anyone and some people just cant seem to “get it”. Timberlake has 2 officials set up, Pitt and Miami, both very strong sports medicine schools. Capel and multiple Pitt players have a strong relationship with him. Timberlake is a dog on the floor built for defense and Capel’s system. The fit, which is what I said from day 1, is perfect for him. Ultimately, when he sits down with his family to discuss his future of reaching the nba and graduating early with a degree in sports medicine along with his relationship with the head coach, these 3 factors "could" put Pitt over the top.

5th “potential” scholarship- Open. There are 2 Top 150-200 players that are currently on hold that are borderline Pitt leans right now that want to visit Pitt officially and would “possibly” commit right after. I will not name these players but it is not hard to figure out which 2 players they are as I mentioned both of them in the past. They currently do not have a firm offer right now to commit. Neither did Tyrese Samuel or Jalen Mccreary when both wanted to go to Pitt. Those players were told to wait and they went elsewhere. Pitt targeted Coulibaly and Champagnie over both of them. Coulibaly very clearly outshined 4 star Tyrese Samuel at Fiba World Cup U19 and proved who the better player was on the floor.

Puff Johnson has a decision to make. Because North Carolina and Arizona are starting to fill up rosters and I fully expect Pitt to start filling up its roster with some of their major targets. I think Johnson is down to 3 maybe 4 schools. But he will explore other options if those schools land other targets which is very possible. I still view Arizona as the team to beat. Johnson has now been to Pitt twice recently.

Chances to get him- Above Average to possibly good

Elijah Taylor will officially be visiting Pitt and Notre Dame in the very near future out of his final 6 and he has become a priority recruit. Its not a secret academics are huge to him just like Timberlake. My understanding is Notre Dame is the “very small favorite” and 2 people close to him are both pushing the 2 ACC schools above the others. This is another fast-rising player and should be considered one of our “high end” targets. Taylor is also high on Florida and made a very strong case this summer to enter the National Top 100.

Chances to get him-Good to Very Good

Andre Curbelo- Pitt has been lurking around Curbelo for some time along with Illinois, St. Johns, Kansas, Miami, Louisville and a few others. I know for a fact Illinois is in very good position because of Oliver Antigua.

Chances to get him- unknown, but my guess is low to average at best

Josh Hall- A fast rising player that is pushing to get into a 5 star. Hall is visiting Louisville soon and from what I understand, Pitt is still in the heavy mix to get an official visit from him when he names his top 5. Capel has been on Hall for a very long time before his stock started to rise fast and Pitt and Capel were one of the earliest schools on him when his early list consisted of Pitt and a bunch of midmajors. Pitt, Miami, Louisville, and Florida were 4 schools said by Hall himself as 4 of the schools recruiting him the hardest this week. Hall has never mentioned actual leaders.

Chances to get him- unknown, but we 100% want him and would take him

These are only some of Pitt's top targets

Its almost hard to hold in the excitement with the games starting soon in Italy and Pitt being on the verge of some major commits in 2020. I would also keep an eye on the Pitt-Virginia football game, as there is going to be a ton of talent at Pitt that day for the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes. Day by day the force of Jeff Capel is making Pitt stronger and better.

John Hugley IV- Hugley has now visited Pitt 4 times. His coach / handler has visited Pitt with Hugley. And His Coach is also helping Jeremy Holmes, a former Pitt basketball player, sell Holmes book Cheers to Fears on his social media sites (the cover of the book is below). I’ve reported on the importance of relationships in the past and how Capel is building them step by step. Hugley is one of the fastest rising players in the entire country with over 25+ offers and should be making his way into the National Top 50-75 as one of the best frontcourt players in the nation.

Jalen Bridges-Bridges has now taken 3 visits to Pitt in the last few months and is heading to Scotland Red Prep, the same school as Karim Coulibaly. If the pictures on social media showing him in a Pitt jersey have not led you to believe where Pitt sits with him, or that his updated twitter Picture is a cropped picture of his face in a Pitt uniform, or that Scotland’s Red Head Coach and Sports director have both been mentioning Pitt and Jeff Capel on social media along with Bridges, or that I and then recently Corey Evans both said Pitt is in very strong position for Bridges, or that Bridges continues to fight with West Virginia fans on every social media platform, or that Bridges said Hail to Pitt in a social media post then deleted it, you are far behind the 8-ball if you have missed all these events. Bridges has been steadily rising in the rankings and should see his ranking rise again in most of the updated National Top 75’s in the country.

RJ Davis

The fastest rising prospect in the entire country with offers from just about every school in the entire country. It’s a very good sign when the entire family visits Pitt, is talking about Pitt on social media, and also adding members from Scotland Red Prep and Pitt on their social media platforms. Capel recruited Davis harder than any other school this summer, and Pitt is in the drivers seat to get Davis with Marquette as I said months ago. The bond with the Davis family is very good, and the fit at Pitt is even better. Marquette and North Carolina will continue to push hard along with others. Davis has all the tools needed to be an absolute star at the college level as he is one of the deadliest shooters in the entire country from all areas on the floor. Capel and O’toole are still recruiting and calling Davis as I write this. Davis wanted to be recruited hard and wanted to be a “priority” recruit for the school he chooses and he made that known and our staff has delivered.

Earl Timberlake

It should come as zero surprise Timberlake is making his way back to Pitt a 3rd time for an official visit this time around, and I told everyone beforehand it was going to happen. It seems hard for some people to fathom that the interest between borderline 5 Star Earl Timberlake and Pitt is very high and for real. Timberlake once again has made it known sports medicine is important to him as I said this 9 months ago before anyone and some people just cant seem to “get it”. Timberlake has 2 officials set up, Pitt and Miami, both very strong sports medicine schools. Capel and multiple Pitt players have a strong relationship with him. Timberlake is a dog on the floor built for defense and Capel’s system. The fit, which is what I said from day 1, is perfect for him. Ultimately, when he sits down with his family to discuss his future of reaching the nba and graduating early with a degree in sports medicine along with his relationship with the head coach, these 3 factors "could" put Pitt over the top.

5th “potential” scholarship- Open. There are 2 Top 150-200 players that are currently on hold that are borderline Pitt leans right now that want to visit Pitt officially and would “possibly” commit right after. I will not name these players but it is not hard to figure out which 2 players they are as I mentioned both of them in the past. They currently do not have a firm offer right now to commit. Neither did Tyrese Samuel or Jalen Mccreary when both wanted to go to Pitt. Those players were told to wait and they went elsewhere. Pitt targeted Coulibaly and Champagnie over both of them. Coulibaly very clearly outshined 4 star Tyrese Samuel at Fiba World Cup U19 and proved who the better player was on the floor.

Puff Johnson has a decision to make. Because North Carolina and Arizona are starting to fill up rosters and I fully expect Pitt to start filling up its roster with some of their major targets. I think Johnson is down to 3 maybe 4 schools. But he will explore other options if those schools land other targets which is very possible. I still view Arizona as the team to beat. Johnson has now been to Pitt twice recently.

Elijah Taylor will officially be visiting Pitt and Notre Dame in the very near future out of his final 6 and he has become a priority recruit. Its not a secret academics are huge to him just like Timberlake. My understanding is Notre Dame is the “very small favorite” and 2 people close to him are both pushing the 2 ACC schools above the others. This is another fast-rising player and should be considered one of our “high end” targets. Taylor is also high on Florida and made a very strong case this summer to enter the National Top 100.

Andre Curbelo- Pitt has been lurking around Curbelo for some time along with Illinois, St. Johns, Kansas, Miami, Louisville and a few others. I know for a fact Illinois is in very good position because of Oliver Antigua.

Josh Hall- A fast rising player that is pushing to get into a 5 star. Hall is visiting Louisville soon and from what I understand, Pitt is still in the heavy mix to get an official visit from him when he names his top 5. Capel has been on Hall for a very long time before his stock started to rise fast and Pitt and Capel were one of the earliest schools on him when his early list consisted of Pitt and a bunch of midmajors. Pitt, Miami, Louisville, and Florida were 4 schools said by Hall himself as 4 of the schools recruiting him the hardest this week. Hall has never mentioned actual leaders.

Its almost hard to hold in the excitement with the games starting soon in Italy and Pitt being on the verge of some major commits in 2020. I would also keep an eye on the Pitt-Virginia football game, as there is going to be a ton of talent at Pitt that day for the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes. Day by day the force of Jeff Capel is making Pitt stronger and better.
Thanks Vader. I am going to dream here and say we get all 4 "very strong" recruits. Then with the possible 5th spot any of the others would be fine. Elijah Taylor would be my choice although I would love to land Puff.

On the surface, I'd be pretty happy getting even 2 of the 4 "very strongs".

I'd take 2 out of 4 in a heartbeat, for sure. Hugley seems like the likeliest, then maybe Bridges, Davis and Timberlake. DJ Gordon, Puff and Elijah as priorities following.

Not sure if the staff is "slow playing" Gordon, if he wants to stay in Pittsburgh or what. I believe Gordon could be a lean, but not sure of the other.

Thanks for posting the above Vader. Fun times are ahead.

Can I just say...I can’t wait for basketball season!!! Will add also, I do think we are in a pretty solid position for Timberlake. We will see. Thanks Vader for the post. Hail to Pitt!

Yeah I don't know if there is any new information on this thread but the general reporting of these high rated players visiting Pitt has me excited. Getting two would have me totally thrilled about Pitt hoops for the first time in a minute.

Do you have any info on Gordon?

RJ Davis

Earl Timberlake

It seems as if, reading the tea leaves, if Gordon were to try and commit right now, we would not take that commitment. I think that would be an error, no?

I don’t know much about anyone other than what I’ve read here. But if Gordon is as good as some think he is it would take huge stones to not take him. I’ll trust that the other players are better but it would be awfully gutsy at this point.

And I agree 100% with recruits - had the same thought earlier. And not to beat a dead horse - the jury is still out on whether or not the OP has a clue what our chances are. I’m still open to the possibility he could but at this point it’s compiling and posting targets which a lot of people seem to enjoy.

Reactions: rockypanther
I would take him now, but who knows if this poster has the true inside scoop or not. I do admit that I find his posts interesting.
We didn’t get any info on whether or not he visited to Pitt practices in the lead up to Italy. So we have no idea where we are with this kid. If he wasn’t invited I would say he ain’t a take right now, which, imo is a mistake

If Capel is not willing to accept a commitment from this kid right now - he must be super confident a few of these Top-100 wings are headed our way.

You'd have to hope that's the case. I think Capel could've got a post commit last year, but wouldn't take their verbal and waited and kinda got bit. they got Karim, but maybe could've got another guy.

I just want to see some guys actually pull the trigger. Not to be a downer, but last year things looked really exciting at this point also.
I definitely agree with you about last year. That said, there are some differences. Capel did ok last year with the exception of striking out on all the bigs. This year he set his sights much higher and is in on some good top 100 talent. Other than Hugley tho, most of these guys are wings and guards, and I feel like we have a legit shot at a few of them.

Anyway, Vader put himself out there again pitting our chances as strong to very strong with several top players. I like reading his material, but, I hope he is not made to look like an idiot after we see these kids make their respective committments.

Overrated in b-ball recruiting. Tom Crean didn’t have deep relationships to pull in Christian Brown and Anthony Edwards last year and he’s a dick
Yeah......this is what just blew my mind last year. Seeing alot of this stuff, where avg to mediocre schools with coaches not exactly regarded as ace recruiters swoop in on some of these kids. Yeah I know, we were 0-19 a couple of years ago. Some of these teams were like 2-17 in conference, did that make a difference?

If you think about it, what "deep relationship" did Capel have with Trey, X and Toney when he took this job and landed them within 6 weeks??

Yeah......this is what just blew my mind last year. Seeing alot of this stuff, where avg to mediocre schools with coaches not exactly regarded as ace recruiters swoop in on some of these kids. Yeah I know, we were 0-19 a couple of years ago. Some of these teams were like 2-17 in conference, did that make a difference?

If you think about it, what "deep relationship" did Capel have with Trey, X and Toney when he took this job and landed them within 6 weeks??

Shh. Trey, X, and Toney don’t fit the narrative.

Look, if your point is that Capel is a failure as a recruiter just come out and say so. Then we can all look back on it in a year or two.

You don't have to be so dramatic about it. Capel invested a lot of time in highly rated prospects last year and failed to land any. Acknowledging that doesn't mean you think he sucks or that he'll be a failure. We don't need to make a bunch of excuses for why he struck out on so many prospects.

You don't have to be so dramatic about it. Capel invested a lot of time in highly rated prospects last year and failed to land any. Acknowledging that doesn't mean you think he sucks or that he'll be a failure. We don't need to make a bunch of excuses for why he struck out on so many prospects.

Will be interesting to see if any or all of the guys we did just get will out perform their ratings and reflect that Capel may have an excellent eye for underrated talent as he seemed to in landing XJ. Hopefully Italy may show that to be the case--at least with Coulibaly.

What amazes me is that quite a few people on this board just expect elite recruits to be fighting over each other to come play at Pitt for a team that won zero conference games just two yrs ago and is still climbing out of this big mess that Barnes created . Where the teams roster stands today is so much improved from what JC started with two seasons ago and will only continue to improve over the next few seasons . Recruits he was on while at Duke have no logical reason to come to Pitt and the recruits he lost last yr all were choosing to go to other major programs or to schools with creative recruiting practices . The future is bright and if Vader’s info is on target 2020 looks to be a good yr .

But HCJC had his name out there with top tier players. This can't hurt going forward. Players he missed out on have coaches, handlers, younger teammates who noticed his presence and the manner he carries himself. That gig on the first chair at one of the greatest basketball factories still carries a ton of weight with today's kids.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
What amazes me is that quite a few people on this board just expect elite recruits to be fighting over each other to come play at Pitt for a team that won zero conference games just two yrs ago and is still climbing out of this big mess that Barnes created . Where the teams roster stands today is so much improved from what JC started with two seasons ago and will only continue to improve over the next few seasons . Recruits he was on while at Duke have no logical reason to come to Pitt and the recruits he lost last yr all were choosing to go to other major programs or to schools with creative recruiting practices . The future is bright and if Vader’s info is on target 2020 looks to be a good yr .
What amazed me is Capel was hired.....right after, weeks after that Stallings debacle that so many brought up and swooped in and landed 3 pretty darn talented kids. Within almost a month.

You people continually bring up excuses on why we almost failed in every recruiting battle we had last year.

And while this year things look good, last year at this time we were dancing with visions of Kofi Cockburn, Christian Brown, Quadas Wahab, Jon Bol Ajok, Cole Anthony, Oscar T, Aidan Igiehorn, Chris Ledlum, Isaiah Wong, amongst others....and got zero. This is not to say Capel was a bad hire, and this is not to say I wish he wasnt, I am glad he is here. But fellas if you are going to be fans, you need to be honest and understand things. Not act like jilted school girls everytime someone criticizes.

I am confident we are going to land a much better class this year. I would just feel much better if one or two of these guys would commit sooner than later. Because we saw in every situation what happened when "later" was the choice last year.

What amazed me is Capel was hired.....right after, weeks after that Stallings debacle that so many brought up and swooped in and landed 3 pretty darn talented kids. Within almost a month.

You people continually bring up excuses on why we almost failed in every recruiting battle we had last year.

And while this year things look good, last year at this time we were dancing with visions of Kofi Cockburn, Christian Brown, Quadas Wahab, Jon Bol Ajok, Cole Anthony, Oscar T, Aidan Igiehorn, Chris Ledlum, Isaiah Wong, amongst others....and got zero. This is not to say Capel was a bad hire, and this is not to say I wish he wasnt, I am glad he is here. But fellas if you are going to be fans, you need to be honest and understand things. Not act like jilted school girls everytime someone criticizes.

I am confident we are going to land a much better class this year. I would just feel much better if one or two of these guys would commit sooner than later. Because we saw in every situation what happened when "later" was the choice last year.

This. If relationships are such a factor in basketball explain how Georgia and others routinely beat us for key kids last year that weren’t blue blood programs or there long. I’m not doubting we may get a kid or 2 every few years because of relationships, but saying relationships matter is discounting capel’s First year success while excusing his second year relative failure. Yes double digit in the acc with this coach recruiting is a failure especially with the lack of big.

You can’t have it both ways. I’m not discrediting his first class at all, I’m saying you’re overvaluing relationships when they don’t matter all that much.

Reactions: Ski11585

Drumgoole, Coulibaly, and Champagnie were guys we targeted for awhile. It is fair to say we missed on a lot of big men prospects. But the Grad Transfer Big we brought in will be a lot more productive next year than a guy like Wahab who choose Georgetown over us.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Drumgoole, Coulibaly, and Champagnie were guys we targeted for awhile. It is fair to say we missed on a lot of big men prospects. But the Grad Transfer Big we brought in will be a lot more productive next year than a guy like Wahab who choose Georgetown over us.
Grad transfer gives us only one year. Wahab would have given us 4 years. And I like Drumgoole and Couilbay but we missed out on a ton of guys last year. Like you said.

Reactions: Jeffburgh

There’s no denying that this yrs recruiting class wasn’t what we all expected and hoped for after the success JC had right off the bat . There’s also no denying that right now Pitt is a tough sell for acquiring highly sought after kids and I’m sure if JC could be truthful he’d say that he too was disappointed in the results . Until Pitt can play with the big boys recruiting will continue to be a struggle . After all it’s not easy going after the same players winning programs want and let’s not forget the programs that have far more active and generous booster involvement .
I think it’s too early to be highly critical when you take into account the depth the program had fallen , if another yr to two passes without JC and staff landing some priority targets then it’s reasonable to think he’s not the man to put Pitt back into the conversation of best programs in the ACC and the country .
I’m in the camp that believes he was the best hire Pitt could’ve made at the time , hope I’m right !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT