ADVERTISEMENT

Vader: Capel closing in on Monster Recruiting Class

What is the latest update?
Basically that he has set 3 official visits and is still deciding whether or not he likes Pitt enough to give us one of his remaining officials. Doesn’t sound very likely to commit.

What amazes me is that quite a few people on this board just expect elite recruits to be fighting over each other to come play at Pitt for a team that won zero conference games just two yrs ago and is still climbing out of this big mess that Barnes created . Where the teams roster stands today is so much improved from what JC started with two seasons ago and will only continue to improve over the next few seasons . Recruits he was on while at Duke have no logical reason to come to Pitt and the recruits he lost last yr all were choosing to go to other major programs or to schools with creative recruiting practices . The future is bright and if Vader’s info is on target 2020 looks to be a good yr .

"schools with creative recruiting practices"; Love it!

Basically that he has set 3 official visits and is still deciding whether or not he likes Pitt enough to give us one of his remaining officials. Doesn’t sound very likely to commit.

Cory Evans stated Pitt will likely get a visit 2 days ago.

Was there another update after that? And he has already been to Pitt unofficially multiple times. I think he clearly likes Pitt and Pitt will have a chance in the end.

Not sure I would label it "Very Likely" or whatever Vader did but I think they have as good a shot as anyone at this point based on what I have seen and read unless there was a more recent update that came out that I missed.

Reactions: Elsalvador
Cory Evans stated Pitt will likely get a visit 2 days ago.

Was there another update after that? And he has already been to Pitt unofficially multiple times. I think he clearly likes Pitt and Pitt will have a chance in the end.

Not sure I would label it "Very Likely" or whatever Vader did but I think they have as good a shot as anyone at this point based on what I have seen and read unless there was a more recent update that came out that I missed.
There was a recent interview on PSN (I know, I know) that made it sound like his interest in us is much more lukewarm than previously thought. Also, Andrew Slater put in a CB for Miami. I admit I thought we were in better shape with him, but his last interview coupled with the OV for Collier has me feeling less so.

Time spent cultivating relations hopefully is the difference this year. Some guys close on the spot, others are grinders who build long term relationships. I’m not saying Capel is one or the other, but to refer to Cream is irrelevant, you can reference many coaches and their different methods to secure recruits and come up with great recruiters. Accept Capel for who he is, and his methods I do not foresee him changing for you or to use Tom Cream as a mentor. I believe between his father and coach K his mentors so far are just fine.

Reactions: Tonyt66 and TWPitt
Much of this discussion comes down to the old argument over which matters most recruiting or coaching (to exclude recruiting) and how much weight to give to either factor in assessing how a team will produce Ws vs Ls.

A few things seem clear to me. IMHO:

Extreme Situations:

1. Awful recruiting with awful coaching equals total disaster.

2. Great recruiting and great coaching produces great success.

Other Situations:

1. Awful recruiting and even great coaching will have almost zero effect.

2. Poor coaching with great recruiting produces under-performance to the point of having mediocre results.

3. Great coaching and average recruiting produces over-performance and some success but not great success.

4. Average coaching and average recruiting produces mediocre results.

Where are we with these considerations with Capel so far?

IMHO--I believe we have good to great coaching and--at least so far--average to good (but not great) recruiting.

--What will that mean in terms of Ws vs Ls over the next season or two?

--Will it be good enough to be middle of the pack ACC?

--Will it be good enough to squeak into the NCAAs?

Much of this discussion comes down to the old argument over which matters most recruiting or coaching (to exclude recruiting) and how much weight to give to either factor in assessing how a team will produce Ws vs Ls.

A few things seem clear to me. IMHO:

Extreme Situations:

1. Awful recruiting with awful coaching equals total disaster.

2. Great recruiting and great coaching produces great success.

Other Situations:

1. Awful recruiting and even great coaching will have almost zero effect.

2. Poor coaching with great recruiting produces under-performance to the point of having mediocre results.

3. Great coaching and average recruiting produces over-performance and some success but not great success.

4. Average coaching and average recruiting produces mediocre results.

Where are we with these considerations with Capel so far?

IMHO--I believe we have good to great coaching and--at least so far--average to good (but not great) recruiting.

--What will that mean in terms of Ws vs Ls over the next season or two?

--Will it be good enough to be middle of the pack ACC?

--Will it be good enough to squeak into the NCAAs?
I’m certainly not discounting where we were at... but we lost to Niagara at home and won 3 ACC games. In what world could that qualify as “GREAT” coaching

If he gets any bigger he’s gonna need a special permit to cross bridges
Just kidding you guys about Huggs still in it with Bridges. There's nothing about Bridges being said by people in the know at Wvu.But I do know the owner of the local pizza shop in Fairmont, I'll give him a call. Pizza people are real smart and know alot.

I’m certainly not discounting where we were at... but we lost to Niagara at home and won 3 ACC games. In what world could that qualify as “GREAT” coaching

Well, given the limitations of last year's roster make up, I don't believe a coach could have done significantly better overall against our schedule.

That being said, I am not totally in the camp that the coaching was clearly "great" last season. That is why I actually gave it a range of "good to great." It may or may not have been "great;" but, IMHO, at worst it is was good considering the overall lack of talent and depth--especially in the front court.

Having only Brown and Chukwuka to work with inside was a huge talent disadvantage especially in ACC play. In any event, IMO, the coaching was orders of magnitude better than anything we ever saw out of Stallings.

What amazes me is that quite a few people on this board just expect elite recruits to be fighting over each other to come play at Pitt for a team that won zero conference games just two yrs ago and is still climbing out of this big mess that Barnes created . Where the teams roster stands today is so much improved from what JC started with two seasons ago and will only continue to improve over the next few seasons . Recruits he was on while at Duke have no logical reason to come to Pitt and the recruits he lost last yr all were choosing to go to other major programs or to schools with creative recruiting practices . The future is bright and if Vader’s info is on target 2020 looks to be a good yr .
What amazes me that is that given the very issues you just described with the program, some posters are getting all excited about suddenly landing 3 or 4 top 50-75 players in one class, a recruiting haul that hasn't happened at Pitt since the loaded handshake days of lore, all because of a known charlatan of an OP who constantly hypes the presumption that Pitt is “heavily involved” and “in great shape” in recruiting them, and the fact they are taking official visits to Pitt.

I mean, haven’t these posters seen this movie before?

What amazes me that is that given the very issues you just described with the program, some posters are getting all excited about suddenly landing 3 or 4 top 50-75 players in one class, a recruiting haul that hasn't happened at Pitt since the loaded handshake days of lore, all because of a known charlatan of an OP who constantly hypes the presumption that Pitt is “heavily involved” and “in great shape” in recruiting them, and the fact they are taking official visits to Pitt.

I mean, haven’t these posters seen this movie before?
So you’d prefer posters to be miserable, glass is always half empty. Hey...maybe we can start an innocuous thread about Pitt Stadium. That is always exciting.

So you’d prefer posters to be miserable, glass is always half empty. Hey...maybe we can start an innocuous thread about Pitt Stadium. That is always exciting.
Not at all. Reasonable and halfway intelligent would suffice.

If we ultimately get commits from 2 of any of the top 100 guys named in that thread, that would be spectacular under the program’s current circumstances. Right now we have zero, and to act like we’re in the driver’s seat for any of them is to ignore a lot of history, including some very recent history.

If we ultimately get commits from 2 of any of the top 100 guys named in that thread, that would be spectacular under the program’s current circumstances. Right now we have zero, and to act like we’re in the driver’s seat for any of them is to ignore a lot of history, including some very recent history.
Exactly. To say we have a great shot at every single known target than we ultimately land 1/10 doesn’t make this guy “right”. This guy is patting himself on the back for Coulaliby before he ever plays a game. Remember, Levon Kendall scored 40 in international play: in short, it means very little.

A dose of reality would do everyone some good, especially Vader. I would love to think we are in good shape with several of these players. However, I remeber a time not so long ago when we were supposed to be the favorite for Hugley and Gordon, now maybe not so much. Vader wants everyone to believe we are going to land a top 20 class this year, I strongly suggest those who are buying into this pump the brakes just a little.

Reactions: rockypanther
A dose of reality would do everyone some good, especially Vader. I would love to think we are in good shape with several of these players. However, I remeber a time not so long ago when we were supposed to be the favorite for Hugley and Gordon, now maybe not so much. Vader wants everyone to believe we are going to land a top 20 class this year, I strongly suggest those who are buying into this pump the brakes just a little.
I’d say we’ve been overdosed on reality, wouldn’t you say?

I have always suspected we won't see a top 20 class until we have proven we are continuing to be a program on the rise by having an over 0.500 overall 2019-2020 season. So, I doubt we sign a top 20 class in early November. Perhaps we can wind up with one by adding some quality spring recruits if we get the image bounce a winning season would provide.

Indeed. Wasn't more than 6 months ago that Vader was touting Hunter Dickinson and how Pitt was in great shape with him.

I remember when I read about signing him, I mentioned it to my dad and he was like "damn, when a brother has a name like that, you just know he'll be an above the rim highlight reel."

only at Pitt will you find a white guy named Levon Kendall and a black guy named Carl Krauser.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT