ADVERTISEMENT

VBALL - Now ranked #7

OSU is sitting with 5 losses in the spot ahead of us. But beyond that, It’s not surprising. We have that loss to Towson, which isn’t awful, but they have a bad loss against Elon so they’re not even ranked.

San Diego is ahead of us. They beat us, and their only loss is to Louisville.

Wisconsin is ahead of us. Maybe the pollsters like their locker room photos.

Nebraska is Nebraska.

and Louisville is still ahead of us.

Overall, not surprising but kind of lame.
Lots of volleyball yet to be played before the tournament seedings are determined.

Coach Fisher has done a terrific job filling the huge holes left on the roster by graduation through the Portal. His freshmen recruits are showing promise, in limited action.

Fish is carving out specific roles for veteran bench players which keeps them engaged.

All in all, this team has come together and has high goals that they are working diligently to achieve.

The sky is the limit this year for Pitt (and Nebraska and Texas and Louisville and a few others in the current Top 10).

Pitt's next 4 matches are on the road:

Fri Oct 28 6:30 @ Wake Forest: 12-9, 4-6

Sun Oct 30 1:00 @ Virginia Tech: 9-12, 2-8

Fri Nov 4 7:00 @ Syracuse: 10-10, 6-4

Sun Nov 6 @ 1:00 @ Boston College: 14-10, 2-8

After that:

Fri Nov 11 @ 7:00 (home) vs Syracuse

Fri Nov 18 @ 6:00 @ Louisville

Wed Nov 23 @ 5:00 (home) vs Georgia Tech

Sat Nov 26 @ 1:00 (home) vs Boston College

H2P!

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
NCAA D1 committee releases their next rankings Oct 30. PItt was #5 in the first rankings releases October 1. This is the more important ranking for tournament seeding purposes.

PItt still has a shot at a top 4 protected seed.
I agree. Barring any unforseen upsets, I expect Pitt will earn a Top 4 seed based on their body of work to date.

Same thought applies to Louisville. I think even the loser of the rematch in a couple of weeks should still earn a Top 4 seed. Just my opinion...

Reactions: Arrch and PittMBA
OSU is sitting with 5 losses in the spot ahead of us. But beyond that, It’s not surprising. We have that loss to Towson, which isn’t awful, but they have a bad loss against Elon so they’re not even ranked.

San Diego is ahead of us. They beat us, and their only loss is to Louisville.

Wisconsin is ahead of us. Maybe the pollsters like their locker room photos.

Nebraska is Nebraska.

and Louisville is still ahead of us.

Ohio State's five losses are to 1, 2, 2 (Texas twice), 3 and 7. They have wins over 4, 17, 10, 11 and 9, plus Michigan who was 30 this week. They have matches scheduled against 11, 12, 1, 9 and 5 and a rematch with Michigan still to come.

Their schedule has been significantly more difficult that ours.

Ohio State's five losses are to 1, 2, 2 (Texas twice), 3 and 7. They have wins over 4, 17, 10, 11 and 9, plus Michigan who was 30 this week. They have matches scheduled against 11, 12, 1, 9 and 5 and a rematch with Michigan still to come.

Their schedule has been significantly more difficult that ours.
That’s fine. I’m not complaining. But it’s still 5 losses and 3 more losses than we have. Somehow I’d be willing to bet if Pitt had 5 losses and an equal schedule as tOSU, we’d be outside the top 15 and maybe even the top 20.

That’s fine. I’m not complaining. But it’s still 5 losses and 3 more losses than we have. Somehow I’d be willing to bet if Pitt had 5 losses and an equal schedule as tOSU, we’d be outside the top 15 and maybe even the top 20.

Well we'll never know the answer, but that's a bet that I'd happily take for whatever amount of money would be on offer.

Lots of volleyball yet to be played before the tournament seedings are determined.

Coach Fisher has done a terrific job filling the huge holes left on the roster by graduation through the Portal. His freshmen recruits are showing promise, in limited action.

Fish is carving out specific roles for veteran bench players which keeps them engaged.

All in all, this team has come together and has high goals that they are working diligently to achieve.

The sky is the limit this year for Pitt (and Nebraska and Texas and Louisville and a few others in the current Top 10).

Pitt's next 4 matches are on the road:

Fri Oct 28 6:30 @ Wake Forest: 12-9, 4-6

Sun Oct 30 1:00 @ Virginia Tech: 9-12, 2-8

Fri Nov 4 7:00 @ Syracuse: 10-10, 6-4

Sun Nov 6 @ 1:00 @ Boston College: 14-10, 2-8

After that:

Fri Nov 11 @ 7:00 (home) vs Syracuse

Fri Nov 18 @ 6:00 @ Louisville

Wed Nov 23 @ 5:00 (home) vs Georgia Tech

Sat Nov 26 @ 1:00 (home) vs Boston College

H2P!
I don't disagree. In fact, I don't foresee Pitt losing more than 1 more match before tournament seeding and I wouldn't be surprised if they win out. What I think is lame is the ranking. I believe there is a big 10 bias with the rankings. I guess that is to be expected as the conference has won more national championships lately than other conferences. The way to change that is to win the national title.

I don't disagree. In fact, I don't foresee Pitt losing more than 1 more match before tournament seeding and I wouldn't be surprised if they win out. What I think is lame is the ranking. I believe there is a big 10 bias with the rankings. I guess that is to be expected as the conference has won more national championships lately than other conferences. The way to change that is to win the national title.
I used to feel the same way about the B1G.

Until...

I really started getting into volleyball about 5 years ago when Pitt started to get better.

I have the BIG Network on my cable TV package, so at that time I started watching all the volleyball I could get (also the Pac12 Network games). The reality is that the upper echelon of B1G Volleyball is terrific, with TALL and deep rosters.

The fact that Fish has built Pitt's program to the point that the Panthers are mentioned with that same upper echelon is something I could not have predicted a few short years ago.

The biggest reason is that the top teams had girls who were so much taller than who Pitt could put up against them. Just reflect back to Wisconsin and Nebraska in last years Final Four...size was the difference!

But this year, Pitt can match up in SIZE and skill.

Really looking forward to this year's tournament to see how this all plays out.

It will surely help if Pitt is a Top 4 seed.

Reactions: bschulter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT