ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia is THIS close to being 18-9/10-8

UPitt '89

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2002
Their past 5 games:

1. Beat Duke after the league admitted the official blew the non foul call at the end of regulation. If Filipowski makes one of 2 FTs that he would have had, Duke wins.

2. Beat Louisville by 3...Louisville had the final possession with a chance to tie.

3. Beat Notre Dame by 2... Notre Dame got a clean look at a game winning three at the buzzer and missed.

4. Lost to BC.

5. Lost to UNC

They are a hair away from being on a 5 game losing streak, 18-9/10-8 and in 8th in the conference and on the outside of the bubble.

Sell your UVA stock.

They are playing poorly but playing the what if game is not that simple.

By similar logic, Pitt could be 10-8 in conference play:
Won by 2 at Cuse.
Won by 2 home to UNC
Won by 3 home to UVA
Won by 2 home to Wake
Won by 3 home to Miami (including 11-0 run last 2:02)
Won by 1 at UNC

That’s 6 close wins.

Add the Clemson one point loss to be fair. 6-1 in games decided by 3 points or less in conference.

Now we deserve the wins but a couple things don’t go our way and we could just as easily have been 10-8.

How is Virginia ranked ahead of Miami? They lost to Miami and have played poorly in their last few games?

The same could be said for Pitt? PItt beat them and is a game ahead of them in the conference.

I would agree that Miami is the better team than Pitt and should be ranked ahead especially since they beat PItt at Pitt.

UVAs ranking relative to both makes no sense to me other than living off past rep.

How is Virginia ranked ahead of Miami? They lost to Miami and have played poorly in their last few games?

The same could be said for Pitt? PItt beat them and is a game ahead of them in the conference.

I would agree that Miami is the better team than Pitt and should be ranked ahead especially since they beat PItt at Pitt.

UVAs ranking relative to both makes no sense to me other than living off past rep.
Miami didn't beat Pitt at Pitt. Pitt beat Miami at Pitt.

We play Miami on Sat

Their past 5 games:

1. Beat Duke after the league admitted the official blew the non foul call at the end of regulation. If Filipowski makes one of 2 FTs that he would have had, Duke wins.

2. Beat Louisville by 3...Louisville had the final possession with a chance to tie.

3. Beat Notre Dame by 2... Notre Dame got a clean look at a game winning three at the buzzer and missed.

4. Lost to BC.

5. Lost to UNC

They are a hair away from being on a 5 game losing streak, 18-9/10-8 and in 8th in the conference and on the outside of the bubble.

Sell your UVA stock.

UVA isn't very good. That's not really news. UVA is essentially the exact same team that went to the NIT last year & lost to St. Bonaventure. Sometimes, returning everyone from a mediocre team isn't such a good thing.

We could probably say the a lot of the same about things about Pitt. Pitt, like UVA, has won a boatload of close games. Pitt won close games against Syracuse, UNC (twice) UVA, Wake, Miami.

What this says about UVA, Pitt, or the ACC is up for interpretation, but it's probably not good. Luckily we have a tournament to sort this out. We were lectured all last year about how pathetic the ACC was, but March painted a totally different picture.

UVA's ranking is based mostly on rep, and their OOC play. So perhaps a mediocre roster returning mostly intact paid dividends in Nov/Dec but is now catching up with them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT