ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia

Totally disagree. But Im not sure you are even really a Pitt fan so I'm not really interested in debating it. Check out the sheets. The only metric they have better than us is Net Non conference schedule rating. We beat them everywhere else. St Johns does as well. Believe me they are a very unimpressive tournament team. But hey they gamed their non conference schedule so kudos to them.
How did the game their non conference schedule? They played Texas A&M, Wisconsin, Florida, and Memphis.

Their OOC resume has 2 pretty good wins in there. Pitt's doesn't, and it has one horrible loss. And you don't need any computer metric to see UVA finished 3rd in the ACC, while Pitt finished 4th.

I agree that they aren't an impressive tournament team. They shouldn't even be there, imo. And they won't be for long.

Here's a question for you: Once you get past Duke, what was Pitt's most impressive win during the regular season? Answer that and you see the problem with Pitt's resume.

That may very well be true, but if so, that’s the one thing you can’t really get pissed about. We decide our NC schedule, good thing to see the committee penalize schools for scheduling cupcakes.
Disagree. Scheduling was not the primary problem. Problem was several supposedly stronger teams on schedule that would have made the OOC schedule stronger had unexpectedly poor years (West Virginia a prime example). When 20 conference games are played and you only have 11 OOC slots--you need to have 5 or 6 "cupcakes" scheduled unless you are a team with top 10 talent.

Last edited:
Haha. Now your talking Quads and metrics. Pitt's NET last year was in the 60s. Look at the records, look at the OOC schedule, and look at the results instead of the computer nerd BS.

The head to head is really the only thing in Pitt's favor.

Irrelevant, because the purpose of the tournament is to determine a champion. And Pitt, nor UVA have any realistic chance of cutting down nets in April.

Your team blows. As you have said. You were right. Like watching high school

How did the game their non conference schedule? They played Texas A&M, Wisconsin, Florida, and Memphis.

Their OOC resume has 2 pretty good wins in there. Pitt's doesn't, and it has one horrible loss. And you don't need any computer metric to see UVA finished 3rd in the ACC, while Pitt finished 4th.

I agree that they aren't an impressive tournament team. They shouldn't even be there, imo. And they won't be for long.

Here's a question for you: Once you get past Duke, what was Pitt's most impressive win during the regular season? Answer that and you see the problem with Pitt's resume.
It was at Virginia! Dude come on! One of only 2 losses (other one was against UNC) they had at home all season and their first in almost a year.

Not that it matters, but I do like hearing Jay Bilas firm on the idea that Pitt should be in the tournament and that the non-conference record shouldn't hold the weight that it does, rather look at the total body of work.

lol - keep talking in circles

AT VIRGINIA

The only team to win in Charlottesville this year.

By 11.

And it wasn't as close as the score.
THANK YOU! Virginia is the next best win. And this board has made it clear that they think Virginia is garbage.

Virginia, on the other hand, has beaten Texas A&M, Florida, and Clemson. UVA clearly had a better OOC schedule, (didn't lose to a garbage team like Missouri) and finished ahead of Pitt in the ACC regular season standings.

That's why I said last week that PItt needed to beat UNC in the ACCT. Had they beat UNC, they would be in the tournament and UVA would be sitting at home voting on a NIT bid.

Try look at things with a little more objectivity. I remember the tone of this board was very different on Virginia when UVA was beating the hell out of a sorry-ass Miami team and Pitt had yet to play in Charlottesville. I said at the time that game was more about how bad Miami was than anything related to UVA. I thought Pitt had a very good chance of beating UVA. ...BTW, didn't Pitt find themselves down 19 to Miami and proceed to lose?

Pitt’s in-conference schedule is much harder than UVA but for some reason the team sheet doesn’t Include that.
Anyone who watched basketball the last month and especially saw Pitt win at BC 90-65 and then watched the debacle between BC and UVa last week couldn’t possibly select UVA.

First tiebreakers are always head to head and in this case, that isn’t even close.
THANK YOU! Virginia is the next best win. And this board has made it clear that they think Virginia is garbage.

Virginia, on the other hand, has beaten Texas A&M, Florida, and Clemson. UVA clearly had a better OOC schedule, (didn't lose to a garbage team like Missouri) and finished ahead of Pitt in the ACC regular season standings.

That's why I said last week that PItt needed to beat UNC in the ACCT. Had they beat UNC, they would be in the tournament and UVA would be sitting at home voting on a NIT bid.

Try look at things with a little more objectivity. I remember the tone of this board was very different on Virginia when UVA was beating the hell out of a sorry-ass Miami team and Pitt had yet to play in Charlottesville. I said at the time that game was more about how bad Miami was than anything related to UVA. I thought Pitt had a very good chance of beating UVA. ...BTW, didn't Pitt find themselves down 19 to Miami and proceed to lose?
pitt played UNC twice, Duke twice, Wake 3 times and Clemson twice
UVA played UNC once, Duke once, Wake twice and Clemson once

the conference SOS isn‘t even close

Reactions: gary2
So if Pitt scheduled more tough occ games and had a 19-14 record do you think they get in? They wouldn’t even be the first four teams out. It’s all bullshit
Pitt doesn’t have the name recognition of a Mich State, which could bias human decisions, but it sure is one good example of your question.

But of course, your taking this to the extreme opposite doesn’t mean much. There sure is a lot of logical scheduling in between what Pitt did and what Michigan St did. A little better NC scheduling doesn’t and shouldn’t have to translate to a 19-14 record.

Reactions: gary2
Disagree. Scheduling was not the primary problem. Problem was several supposedly stronger teams on schedule that would have made the OOC schedule stronger had unexpectedly poor years (West Virginia a prime example). When 20 conference games are played and you only have 11 OOC slots--you need to have 5 or 6 "cupcakes" scheduled unless you are a team with top 10 talent.
I’ve already stated a good bit earlier in a thread that Pitt’s NC schedule wasn’t completely their fault because of how bad WVU, Mizzou and OSU ended up. That unfortunately doesn’t discount their 300+ NC SOS. Also doesn’t help that they lost to one of those teams.

It was at Virginia! Dude come on! One of only 2 losses (other one was against UNC) they had at home all season and their first in almost a year.
Yes. I go to a lot of UVA games. The last was Houston in December of 2022. Duke was robbed of a win there last year though.

But that says a lot about this year's UVA team. They never lose to UNC at JPJ.

Good article in the PG today by Chris Carter summarizing the metrics and comparing ours to some of the Teams that got in over us.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

They wouldn't beat A&M or Florida now. Both teams improved

They wouldn't beat A&M or Florida now. Both teams improved
I agree that they probably wouldn't beat Florida.

Texas A&M, I'm not so sure. They have been wildly inconsistent. They closed out February on an UGLY 5 game losing streak. They lost to Tennessee by 35, lost to Alabama by 25, and somehow dropped games to Vandy & Arkansas. The Aggies beat Iowa State just before they played Virginia.

UVA got worse as the season progressed and was complete ass for the last 2 months with a losing record. Meanwhile Pitt's last 2 months were very impressive. Pitt had the better analytics and beat them by double digits on their home court.

UVA got worse as the season progressed and was complete ass for the last 2 months with a losing record. Meanwhile Pitt's last 2 months were very impressive. Pitt had the better analytics and beat them by double digits on their home court.
Actually, UVA is 12-5 since 1/17/24.

Good article in the PG today by Chris Carter summarizing the metrics and comparing ours to some of the Teams that got in over us.
If I remember correctly, and I’ve read so many articles discussing UVA’s unworthiness vs Pitt, they are all bleeding together. the article said the problem with Pitt is that it wasn’t just them vs UVA. There were 3 teams who were behind UVA that shouldn’t have got in ahead of UVA. Which then begs the question why were they ahead of Pitt?

It had to come down to politics or the OOC SOS or that the committee didn’t realize that Pitt played a tougher ACC schedule than Virginia and thus those games canceled out the weak OOC.

But I wish a math geek could come up with a number for where Pitt’s OOC would be if Huggy didn’t get drunk and WVU was who we thought they’d be, a B12 and FF contender.

If I remember correctly, and I’ve read so many articles discussing UVA’s unworthiness vs Pitt, they are all bleeding together. the article said the problem with Pitt is that it wasn’t just them vs UVA. There were 3 teams who were behind UVA that shouldn’t have got in ahead of UVA. Which then begs the question why were they ahead of Pitt?

It had to come down to politics or the OOC SOS or that the committee didn’t realize that Pitt played a tougher ACC schedule than Virginia and thus those games canceled out the weak OOC.

But I wish a math geek could come up with a number for where Pitt’s OOC would be if Huggy didn’t get drunk and WVU was who we thought they’d be, a B12 and FF contender.
UVA also got a win vs WVU.

UVA also got a win vs WVU.
And? The point is that it was the OOC SOS that people assume kept pitt out given they have everything else on the team sheet that the committee takes into the room with them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT