ADVERTISEMENT

Vols at Panthers Predictions

I think it will be a close one and I am sure Pitt will play a lot cleaner in week 2. However, barring any big injuries on Tennessee's part, I am thinking 34-31 Tenn

I am curious why all the confidence in us scoring so many points! I have to think the TN defense is way better than WV.
I think some things will get cleaned up (receivers running correct routes, Slovis’ internal clock sped up) that will allow us to move the ball better. I’m also banking on the fact that Means, err, the offense will have better luck when it comes to not fumbling the ball untouched and catching touchdown passes.

After a hard fought Backyard Brawl last week, many don't know how we will respond. Yes, we haven't been undefeated in nonconference play in a very long time. Yes, this is a very solid Tennessee team coming into Pittsburgh this weekend. And yes, there may be a few injuries that we are unsure about their standing at this time. However, now is the time to rewrite the script and change the tides, its time to make a statement! My prediction: Narduzzi, Cignetti, and Bates, LLC coach a great game and lead our beloved Panthers to a 35-27 victory. H2P and I'll see everyone in the lots on Saturday!

I wish I had a better feeling about this one then I do. That said, I'll go with:

Tenn 45
Pitt 35
I think a lot of us feel the same way. Funny thing is if we beat Delaware 42-7 in Week 1, we'd probably feel better about it. But we had a nice win over a rival, who is a decent team and we feel worse.....because I think we all think Pitt didn't look good. But we won! And maybe we play well this week?

Pat Narduzzi and his staff will also welcome a strong crop of prospects headlined by five-star receivers in 2023 Hykeem Williams and 2024 Ryan Wingo.

Some other notable 2024 names included Harper Woods (Mich.) High safety Jacob Oden, Macon (Ga.) First Presbyterian High Composite four-star 2024 QB Jakhari Williams, Lagrangeville (NY) Arlington offensive tackle Colin Cubberly and Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Stranahan 2024 receiver Nicholas Smith.

The benefits of playing a P5 rivalry game in week 1 will show this week, the bad penalties and mental mistakes will subside and the defense will come to form. The DL has said they did not play their best game last week and will look to make a statement this Saturday. This has the potential to be the beginning of a very special season. Tennessee is a strong opponent with a good quarterback, tough wide receivers, and athletes on both sides of the ball. However, we have a lot of experience with Heupel and Hooker and this year's Tennessee team is pretty untested after whooping up on Ball State last week. I look forward to a close game and think that the Panthers will come out on top 34-30!! Let's have a day dahn on the North Shore Saturday! H2P

Pitt had a good challenge in game one; Tenn had a glorified scrimmage where they had total control throughout the game.

High pressure forges steel. Pitt knows more about themselves than the Vols do at this time. The Panthers have already dealt with competition in a match while Tennessee has merely gone through the motions.

Pitt wins 34-33. While it would be nice to have Hammond in this game, Ben Sauls might prove to be the determining factor.

The benefits of playing a P5 rivalry game in week 1 will show this week, the bad penalties and mental mistakes will subside and the defense will come to form. The DL has said they did not play their best game last week and will look to make a statement this Saturday. This has the potential to be the beginning of a very special season. Tennessee is a strong opponent with a good quarterback, tough wide receivers, and athletes on both sides of the ball. However, we have a lot of experience with Heupel and Hooker and this year's Tennessee team is pretty untested after whooping up on Ball State last week. I look forward to a close game and think that the Panthers will come out on top 34-30!! Let's have a day dahn on the North Shore Saturday! H2P
Good pts

Reactions: MikeatUPITT5
It is hard to fix the issues, but one benefit of opening against a real team was knowing what some of them are at least. I agree tenn is better than WVU, but not 18 better than Pitt on the road, which is 11 higher than Vegas is giving them.

TN has a far superior offense to WV but the defense is worse.

That being said, I think our D will be much improved this week.

IMHO, Tennessee will be one of, if not the toughest opponents Pitt will have this season.

I’m expecting a Pitt win, but I wouldn’t put money on it.

Mostly level headed thoughts in the predictions.. better than most message boards of teams we look at. Pitt’s D worries me and if they hold Tennessee under 24 points in the first half, that will be a success and it should be a decently close game. If Pitt allows more than that, it will get out of hand by the 4th.

Here’s to a good one for Majors!

Reactions: cheapseatsvol
WVU lost a lot of players on their defense to the transfer portal. Replaced them with a junior college player, a transfer from Syracuse, Colorado st, William and Mary.

Their defense is OK. Tennessee is bigger, faster and Stronger than WVU. According to Narduzzi ( who said Tennessee looks good coming off the bus and is your typical SEC type team ). Our offensive lineman Minor said the same. Tennessee is the prettiest team we will see all year. Not surprising when you look at their recruiting classes.

It’s extremely hard to fix our issues on defense and on the offensive line in a weeks time. Just not enough time during the week compared to the NFL that has a 50 hour work week. Those problems should of been fixed in the off season and in camp.

42-24 Tennessee. If Slovis can get time and a clean pocket. The game will be much closer. I am worried Pickett’s ability to make the first rusher miss made our line look better when giving up sacks. Compared to Slovis who will dissect the defense only if he has time and a clean pocket

Pitt is going to need to 30-35 pass attempts. They can exploit TN's DBs.

You really think highly of you O after playing the juggernaut that is Ball St!

Vols struggled with Bowling Green last year. Ball St would have given last year's Tennessee squad fits. Final would have probably been 38-21, something like that.

Last year we were down our Center who makes the calls on the OL, we started Milton, and we were down our top 2 RBs and ended up finishing the game with a true freshman. Having a full year in the system and a healthy squad is what's giving us hope. We're running plays faster than last year as well, but I think Narduzzi has seen Heupel's offense enough that he knows what to expect.

Defensively we have much better depth. We give up yards between the 20s, I think that's just what Tim Banks does. Pitt should chunk the ball over the middle a bunch, we're just not good defending passes there.

Pitt is going to have to defend the run better for sure. Vols finished 2nd in the SEC in rushing last year. I thought WV backs were caught from behind a few times where our backs would have scored. Pitt's DBs also didn't get their head turned around on some passes and gave up plays. Our WRs are huge, gotta get your head turned around and play the ball.

I'm not taking too much away from the Week 1 games. Backyard Brawl is different. Vols played super vanilla football and Ball St did some weird stuff (only rushing 3, throwing the ball immediately).

That being said Tennessee has been pretty consistent in losing non con games for a while. I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop this one. There will be points though. Pitt is going to have to score 40 IMO.

Pitt keeps it closer than most are predicting

Tennessee - 55
Pitt - 21
The O/U is set at 65. I really don't see Tenn scoring 55 of those total team points by themselves on the road against an aggressive Pitt defense that almost led the nation in sacks last year (while Tenn gave up the most sacks in the entire SEC). Pitt will also slow the game down more if the Hammond train can get rolling along with the rest of the run game.

However, I think most honest/informed people understand that Tennessee matches up better overall in key areas and will settle the score after last year's back and forth battle at Neyland. I'm hoping for the opposite, but:

Tenn - 38
Pitt - 27

A few things Pitt fans might not know about our offense…..

we started our 4th string RB against you all last year that was a true freshman. We got our top two RB’s back this year. Lost two starters on the OL including our best OLman in the first quarter and replaced him with a true freshman. Our QB had only taken a quarter of the first team snaps during practice before our starting QB went out. Two of our best defensive players did not play in that game.

Tennessee’s roster is much better than last year and we have been in this system for a year now. Tennessee has scored 45pts, five games in a row now and the last time we did that was 1993. This offense was already elite and we added a 5* WR this year from the portal.

Vol fan here. I think the Vols win 42-31. The Pitt defense line vs the Vols offensive line will be interesting to watch because you guys have a great defense front. If we get time to throw it could be a long day but if Pitt can get pressure who knows. Vols defense might not be as good as last year and I think Pitt definitely puts up some points. I think this could be a close one until the end.

I think Pitt has a great program and fans and I hope for a clean injury free game. It should be a fun one to watch!

No prediction, but I see a close back and forth game. Tenn is going to score. Pitt is going to score. Whoever gets some stops and turnovers will win.

Pitt played an absolutely awful 1st quarter last year and still won the game. Tried our best lose it early on the road.

UT's a little better and Pitt's a little worse, but Pitt's at home. One score game in the 30s

Reactions: readmorevols
I think their D is better than WV
I think WVU is definitely better in the front 4. Tennessee doesn't have anyone near the caliber of Dante Stills on their roster. I think Tennessee has better linebackers. Neither secondary is anything to write home about.

I think the Offensive lines are comparable. I'd give an edge to WVU. WRs are comparable physically. If Bru McCoy is ready to go, I'd favor the Vols. I think JT is better in the pocket and probably a more accurate passer, Hooker obviously a dangerous duel threat.

Pitt has to stop the run get off the field on 3rd and long. That's where they screwed the pooch last year.

I like Pitt 35-27.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
No prediction, but I see a close back and forth game. Tenn is going to score. Pitt is going to score. Whoever gets some stops and turnovers will win.

Pitt played an absolutely awful 1st quarter last year and still won the game. Tried our best lose it early on the road.

UT's a little better and Pitt's a little worse, but Pitt's at home. One score game in the 30s
And whiffed on a simple pass to the sideline and allowed an easy TD. And gave up 2 40+ yd runs to QBs on 3rd and long.

Of course Vols missed 2 open recievers for TDs, and blew a 1st & goal inside the 5. (ended up kicking a 47 yd FG. 😆)

Okay we are within 72 hours of game so time to stick it out there. I do not feel good about this matchup and I hope I am woefully wrong!

Vols - 34
Panthers - 30
I'm assuming that the Pitt coaching staff sees what we all saw in game #1 versus WVU and will correct the issue for this week. Hopefully Narduzzi encourages Canada to open up the passing game and throw the ball downfield in the first half as well as in the second half.
If Pitt does this, I see Pitt beating Tennessee in a high scoring game, 44-38. Slovis throws for 375+ yards and 4 TD's. If they don't open the offense up more, Pitt will lose this game.
H2P!!!

I think WVU is definitely better in the front 4. Tennessee doesn't have anyone near the caliber of Dante Stills on their roster. I think Tennessee has better linebackers. Neither secondary is anything to write home about.

I think the Offensive lines are comparable. I'd give an edge to WVU. WRs are comparable physically. If Bru McCoy is ready to go, I'd favor the Vols. I think JT is better in the pocket and probably a more accurate passer, Hooker obviously a dangerous duel threat.

Pitt has to stop the run get off the field on 3rd and long. That's where they screwed the pooch last year.

I like Pitt 35-27.
They've thrown roughly the same amount passes at 639/650. All power 5 competition, through multiple schools.

HH career stats completion % 65.9 / 55 TD - 10 INT / RTG 170.8
JT career stats completion % 63.4 / 34 TD - 17 INT / RTG 140.7

I think it will be a great game. We don't possess the killer instinct to finish close games yet. Until that changes I have hard time picking TN in good games. I see a good game with both teams scoring in the 30's.

Last edited:
They've thrown roughly the same amount passes at 639/650. All power 5 competition, through multiple schools.

HH career stats completion % 65.9 / 55 TD - 10 INT / RTG 170.8
JT career stats completion % 63.4 / 34 TD - 17 INT / RTG 140.7

I think it will be a great game. We don't possess the killer instinct to finish close games yet. Until that changes I have hard time picking TN in good games. I see a good game with both teams scoring in the 30's.
I think the stats in this case are a little skewed due to their different college career paths.

Hooker didn't really see much action until he was a RS soph at Tech. And that team was fairly conservative offensively.

JT was thrown into the fire at USC as a true freshman, after skipping his senior year of HS. 2018 was also a dumpster fire of a year for USC.

Just an opinion. Both are quality QBs though.

A few things Pitt fans might not know about our offense…..

we started our 4th string RB against you all last year that was a true freshman. We got our top two RB’s back this year. Lost two starters on the OL including our best OLman in the first quarter and replaced him with a true freshman. Our QB had only taken a quarter of the first team snaps during practice before our starting QB went out. Two of our best defensive players did not play in that game.

Tennessee’s roster is much better than last year and we have been in this system for a year now. Tennessee has scored 45pts, five games in a row now and the last time we did that was 1993. This offense was already elite and we added a 5* WR this year from the portal.
Pitt started their 3rd string RB against the Vols last year. He was 1st string last year for the simple fact that he was the most reliable pass blocker at the time. I don't think Pitt's top back is going to play Saturday.

Pitt's defense was pretty much garbage last year at that time too. Western Michigan came to Heinz and dropped 45 on Pitt the next week.

Pitt is more experienced and better physically and athleticly this year on the defensive side of the ball, but as we saw last week, there's a lot of crap to clean up.

Vols struggled with Bowling Green last year. Ball St would have given last year's Tennessee squad fits. Final would have probably been 38-21, something like that.

Last year we were down our Center who makes the calls on the OL, we started Milton, and we were down our top 2 RBs and ended up finishing the game with a true freshman. Having a full year in the system and a healthy squad is what's giving us hope. We're running plays faster than last year as well, but I think Narduzzi has seen Heupel's offense enough that he knows what to expect.

Defensively we have much better depth. We give up yards between the 20s, I think that's just what Tim Banks does. Pitt should chunk the ball over the middle a bunch, we're just not good defending passes there.

Pitt is going to have to defend the run better for sure. Vols finished 2nd in the SEC in rushing last year. I thought WV backs were caught from behind a few times where our backs would have scored. Pitt's DBs also didn't get their head turned around on some passes and gave up plays. Our WRs are huge, gotta get your head turned around and play the ball.

I'm not taking too much away from the Week 1 games. Backyard Brawl is different. Vols played super vanilla football and Ball St did some weird stuff (only rushing 3, throwing the ball immediately).

That being said Tennessee has been pretty consistent in losing non con games for a while. I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop this one. There will be points though. Pitt is going to have to score 40 IMO.
This is Biblical. Will the VOLS walk across the Allegheny to get to the stadium or are they restricted to mere mortal means and methods?

I see the final score being in the 30's for both teams - heart says Pitt wins, gut says Tenn wins

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT