ADVERTISEMENT

Wahab

He’s announcing next Thursday.......

This is a big deal. Wahab and Cockburn are the last 2 primary targets that Capel is recruiting. He is in danger of going 0 for.

If we can't get at least 1 of these guys, I'd imagine Capel turns to 2020 big guys, trying to get them to reclassify but that doesn't seem to be a sustainable way to recruit.

This is the big one. Have to land him.

Georgetown is the only concern, but I think we’re in good shape. UConn checked in recently, but they’re primarily focused on Cockburn and Mitchell so I don’t think they’re a player here.

Wahab isn’t a finished product but he’d be a great fit with our 3 athletic Freshman going into next year. Between him and a further developing Brown, we’d have a nice rotation at the 5

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
This is the big one. Have to land him.

Georgetown is the only concern, but I think we’re in good shape. UConn checked in recently, but they’re primarily focused on Cockburn and Mitchell so I don’t think they’re a player here.

Wahab isn’t a finished product but he’d be a great fit with our 3 athletic Freshman going into next year. Between him and a further developing Brown, we’d have a nice rotation at the 5

Does UConn have any scholarships left? I thought they were out, which is why Akok walked on.

This is a big deal. Wahab and Cockburn are the last 2 primary targets that Capel is recruiting. He is in danger of going 0 for.

If we can't get at least 1 of these guys, I'd imagine Capel turns to 2020 big guys, trying to get them to reclassify but that doesn't seem to be a sustainable way to recruit.

Yea, I think if we miss out on Wahab, we probably go hard after Coulibay, and then its scrambling in the spring, maybe looking to Juco and transfers, and maybe reclassifiyng.

The three kids Capel got after April last year still gives me confidence that even when in scramble mode, we'll be ok. But it would be nice to land a big fish now.

Reactions: cabe23
if JC doesnt land him than unless a kid reclassifies we will probably be looking at a transfer or go with what we already have

I think I'll just sit back and see how Capel comes out of this a a couple of years.

Theoretically, I guess any coach is in danger of going 0 for prior to actually landing somebody.

I wouldn't worry about it, though.

if JC doesnt land him than unless a kid reclassifies we will probably be looking at a transfer or go with what we already have

Brown and Chukwuka are not ACC-level starters and probably never will be. They would be decent backups. I would be stunned if they are starting next season. Whether or not we get Wahab or someone else, I would assume Capel is going to bring in some grad transfers. Even a guy like Rafael Maia is significantly better than these two due to his rebounding. Hopefully we can get someone better though.

I think Capel hits the grad transfer market hard and also goes after kids who ask out of LOI's if the coach leaves or is fired due to NCAA stuff (Larranaga).

In many ways, perhaps the biggest reason we need to win 5-6 ACC games is to prove to the better grad transfers that we are just 1 player away from the NCAAT

Can't recruit a kid for hoops and do that.
I think you can. Football takes precedence over all sports, then basketball. So a basketball player who runs track counts against basketball, but a basketball player who plays football counts against football. At least that’s how I’ve always understood it.

I think you can. Football takes precedence over all sports, then basketball. So a basketball player who runs track counts against basketball, but a basketball player who plays football counts against football. At least that’s how I’ve always understood it.
But a basketball player only can't get a FB scholie.
Roger Kingdom was a track scholie at Pitt. Robert Haygood was a hoops scholie. Don't think you can award a track scholie to a kid you've recruited for FB.

But a basketball player only can't get a FB scholie.
Roger Kingdom was a track scholie at Pitt. Robert Haygood was a hoops scholie. Don't think you can award a track scholie to a kid you've recruited for FB.
Wasn’t Kingdom originally on football scholy?

Wasn’t Kingdom originally on football scholy?
I think not. He was the top track athlete in GA in high school....epic battle with Herschel Walker.
He played FB only one year, if I remember correctly. At RB, not WR. We were L-O-A-D-E-D.

I think not. He was the top track athlete in GA in high school....epic battle with Herschel Walker.
He played FB only one year, if I remember correctly. At RB, not WR. We were L-O-A-D-E-D.

"Born in Vienna, Georgia, an athlete of note Kingdom excelled at the high jump and discus in his formative years as well as being a noteworthy American footballplayer. He attended the University of Pittsburgh originally on a football scholarship but excelled on the school's track team winning the NCAA outdoor national championship in the 110 meter hurdles in 1983 and the NCAA indoor national championship in the 55 meter hurdles in 1984."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Kingdom

"Born in Vienna, Georgia, an athlete of note Kingdom excelled at the high jump and discus in his formative years as well as being a noteworthy American footballplayer. He attended the University of Pittsburgh originally on a football scholarship but excelled on the school's track team winning the NCAA outdoor national championship in the 110 meter hurdles in 1983 and the NCAA indoor national championship in the 55 meter hurdles in 1984."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Kingdom
Cool...I stand corrected. He made plenty running over those fences.

Back to Wahab, I love this kid.

I understand why Cockburn is higher ranked, but I think that we were in for another Akok situation there. Wahab is exactly the type of kid we should be after right now. Raw, but untapped potential with a big time ceiling. He’s athletic and will be able to run the floor with guys like XJ and McGowens. Good on Capel for recognizing where our current wheelhouse is and capitalizing (hopefully).

Yup, fair enough to say he's a priority. Huge that everyone went to see him today.

You can give him a different sport scholarship as long as fully plays that sport to

No, you can't. Because schools used to "hide" football and basketball players on track scholarships so they could get more scholarship football/basketball players. Miami did that all that time. You aren't allowed to do it any more. If you are a scholarship athlete and you play football, you count as a football scholarship. If you are a scholarship athlete and you play basketball, you count as a basketball scholarship unless the other sport is football.

Reactions: below0w
No, you can't. Because schools used to "hide" football and basketball players on track scholarships so they could get more scholarship football/basketball players. Miami did that all that time. You aren't allowed to do it any more. If you are a scholarship athlete and you play football, you count as a football scholarship. If you are a scholarship athlete and you play basketball, you count as a basketball scholarship unless the other sport is football.
Correct!

If Pitt doesnt get Wahab yes it would be a dissapointment but the fact that Pitt is in the final 3 for multiple high level players is a good sign and eventually Capel will close.

Reactions: Drew1208
The only thing that worries me about Wahab is it seems like our biggest competition is Georgetown. It must be awfully tempting for a big man to go play under Patrick Ewing. Not surprising that the staff are going all out. They're not getting desperate, but Georgetown are probably a bigger threat than you'd initially think.

Really? I thought we recruited Ironhead on a Chemistry scholarship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT