ADVERTISEMENT

Wahab

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"?????

So far, yes but granted, Capel hasn't even gone through one full recruiting cycle. As I've said, his selling of getting Toney and Mcgowens to reclassify and come to Pitt was masterful but he has yet to land a recruit in the traditional recruiting process. I love Capel but I am unimpressed with Final 3's because as I said Dixon was the king of those. You gotta show me. I like what I see in Capel but he hasn't come in here and had players lining up outside the door to play for him like Drew at Vandy, Will Wade, Pearl, etc. That isn't to say he won't eventually though.

Something very fi$hy going on at UCONN.

If you read Corey Evans note about Wahab in his Tuesday Q & A, he didn’t even mention UConn when discussing Wahab. I could be wrong, but I’ve always viewed GTown and even VT as the main competition on Wahab.

We just need to let this play out and hope for the best.

Not sure how this could be positive for us.....curious what Capel is going to be able to pull off

Guards and wings are plentiful. You should expect up land good ones every year. Bigs are a whole other issue; being in the top 3 with less than a year is rather remarkable given the limited number each year.

Miss teams end up taking a reach or dropping a bag when it comes to recruiting a big.

If Pitt doesnt get Wahab yes it would be a dissapointment but the fact that Pitt is in the final 3 for multiple high level players is a good sign and eventually Capel will close.

Reactions: TreesHero
Not sure how this could be positive for us.....curious what Capel is going to be able to pull off

On the surface it’s not good but until we get more information, I’m not getting too upset.

Even after a better than expected start, the same recruiting challenges are the biggest hurdle for us. We don’t have a ton of tradition, we don’t have an NBA presence to sell, and the last few years of losing have created a negative narrative. The programs were going to be fighting with for recruits regularly (Cuse, GTown, UConn, etc.) are all much stronger in those areas, so we still need to have some patience.

No, you can't. Because schools used to "hide" football and basketball players on track scholarships so they could get more scholarship football/basketball players. Miami did that all that time. You aren't allowed to do it any more. If you are a scholarship athlete and you play football, you count as a football scholarship. If you are a scholarship athlete and you play basketball, you count as a basketball scholarship unless the other sport is football.
yeah, I saw that on a 30-30 with The U, they had scholarship restrictions and I think they brought one of the Moss brothers on under a track scholarship. A nice loophole that was closed.

I don't like that really. Think about it, if the person does in fact compete in that sport, they should be able to use it. I mean if a player does track, or does play baseball, why not let them come on under that sports scholarship. Just make sure they are in fact on that team. If everyone can do it, is it an unfair advantage?

Obviously you need both HCs to agree.

On the surface it’s not good but until we get more information, I’m not getting too upset.

Even after a better than expected start, the same recruiting challenges are the biggest hurdle for us. We don’t have a ton of tradition, we don’t have an NBA presence to sell, and the last few years of losing have created a negative narrative.

This is college basketball. What you just said, matters very very little. It's why Penn State, DePaul, Providence, Auburn, LSU, etc can bring in big-time players. College basketball recruiting is 90% how much the recruit likes/believes in the head coach. The name of the school, conference, TV, etc only matters to a very small degree. This is good for Pitt and Capel. There are no excuses. 0-19 doesn't matter to these kids. They want to play a fun style, shoot a lot, have a cool coach, and go to the NBA.

Reactions: Elsalvador
This is college basketball. What you just said, matters very very little. It's why Penn State, DePaul, Providence, Auburn, LSU, etc can bring in big-time players. College basketball recruiting is 90% how much the recruit likes/believes in the head coach. The name of the school, conference, TV, etc only matters to a very small degree. This is good for Pitt and Capel. There are no excuses. 0-19 doesn't matter to these kids. They want to play a fun style, shoot a lot, have a cool coach, and go to the NBA.
If you recognize this, then why then do you have a conniption every time a kid picks a lesser school over Pitt?

Those things matter very much. Most every kid in the Top 100-150 thinks they are only a year or two from the NBA. Being able to draw a line from your school to that end goal is huge.

Look at every interview that Rivals/247/ESPN does with a top prospect. Every single one talks about development for the NBA. When Akok was interviewed after committing, the two things he hit on were pro development and championship culture.

Until Pitt can point to a sustained level of success in developing NBA talent, were at a disadvantage. Capel’s resume helps, but at the end of the day, the name on the jersey is what these kids are looking at

Those things matter very much. Most every kid in the Top 100-150 thinks they are only a year or two from the NBA. Being able to draw a line from your school to that end goal is huge.

Look at every interview that Rivals/247/ESPN does with a top prospect. Every single one talks about development for the NBA. When Akok was interviewed after committing, the two things he hit on were pro development and championship culture.

Until Pitt can point to a sustained level of success in developing NBA talent, were at a disadvantage. Capel’s resume helps, but at the end of the day, the name on the jersey is what these kids are looking at
At the end of the day they are looking for the Benjamins in their pocket. Short-term (in college) and then long-term (the pros). That is the game that is being played, and as evidenced by Arizona and Sean Miller, nothing is being done about it.

Reactions: 88Pitt88

"Pitt" has nothing to do with NBA/player development. They commit to Capel, not "Pitt." Yea, facilities, conferences, campus, etc matter a tiny bit but they are looking to see what coach can get them to the NBA and where they can play fast and shoot a lot. Ask anyone in college basketball and they will tell you that college basketball recruiting had changed completely. Heck, in a presser last week Capel literally said bball recruiting has changed from even what it saw was 5 years ago and there's no other NCAA sport that it compares to in terms of recruiting.

If you recognize this, then why then do you have a conniption every time a kid picks a lesser school over Pitt?

Because even though true, I hate it. I think conferences, program prestige, etc should matter more than anything. I think kids should want to play at the highest level, in the ACC (or old Big East in those days) but they dont. I will never get used to this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT