ADVERTISEMENT

Wake Forest Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Midway through the second half, the Panthers efforts to take a lead in this contest against the Demon Deacons where continually being thwarted by none other than Mama Bear’s kid.

** It wasn’t as if Fede was doing a particularly bad job trying to defend Reid. But playing behind the Wake Forest post man allowing him to catch the ball 8 feet from the hoop really offered little chance to stop him without the Panthers sending a double team.

** With Wake leading by three, @brdst11 turned to me and suggested “maybe we should try Jeffress on Reid.”

** I wondered about this thought with curiosity. Hmmm ... Maybe it could work?

** Turns out that Coach Capel was thinking the exact same thing, and moments later Will entered the game for Fede.

** And there’s no doubt this was the moment this game changed for the better.

** Efton never scored again, and immediately the Panthers embarked on a 14-4 run to take control of the contest. It’s not overhyping to suggest that Will’s insertion was the catalyst of the change.

** It wasn’t just so much that Will enabled the Panthers to successfully front Reid, his presence also allowed the Panthers to switch more successfully on screens.

** And the little lineup with Will, Blake, Ish, Bug and Jaland brought home the win. A big and important win for the Panthers.

** Will even got to contribute a flying slam when Wake seemingly forget to guard him.

** Two years ago, @Franb offered the facetious nickname to Will as “The Glassman” as he only seemed to be able to offer a couple of rebounds among his unremarkable contributions.

** Tonight, my friend offered a new nickname for Will as “The Assman,” when he boxed out Reid with his behind pushing him all the way on the floor. Love it!

** Carlton Carrington doesn’t need any nickname as he’s unquestionably Bub.

** Last game, my college freshman kid suggested that Bub is unquestionably the Panther X factor on offense. If Bub scores, he believes the Panthers will win.

** A career high from Mr. Carrington certainly proved the point.

** Still, this was a win when the entire Panther squad dug deep on defense to allow some time for Panther jump shots to start falling. In fact, the Panther defense plus better jump shooting success, along with some splendid aggressiveness from Ish, allowed Panther fans to watch what appeared to me as the best overall half of basketball on both ends of the floor this entire season.

** And this isn’t to say that Wake Forest is a very good team.

** But they are a team who before tonight who were quite a bit closer to the NCAA tournament than we were. They entered the night near #40 according to Pomeroy, and had they triumphed this night, we would have provided them with an important Quad 1 win on their journey. In other words, they had plenty to play for.

** I’m encouraged that our Panthers played tonight as if they had at least as much to play for. It’s maybe even fair to say that they even played much better than that.

** Sure, I should offer my usual complaint that Capel’s offense still offers up nothing but jump shots. This to me just isn’t very good offense.

** But in the second half tonight, it was more than enough offense to enjoy this game as a fan tremendously.

** It was also more than enough to make the Notre Dame game on Saturday as full day affair that I’m really looking forward to. A win of Saturday and we will have almost evened our ACC record.

** Sure, the road to something special at the end is still long and hard. But with a win tonight, that road is still open, and going into February, that’s at least enough for this fan this night.

** This fan also looks at Saturday’s game as a perfect chance to get together with several PantherLair friends for some pregame beverages. The thought is that will meet at Hemmingway’s. I hope many of you will join to toast continued success for our Panthers this season.

** Hail to Pitt!!

** Midway through the second half, the Panthers efforts to take a lead in this contest against the Demon Deacons where continually being thwarted by none other than Mama Bear’s kid.

** It wasn’t as if Fede was doing a particularly bad job trying to defend Reid. But playing behind the Wake Forest post man allowing him to catch the ball 8 feet from the hoop really offered little chance to stop him without the Panthers sending a double team.

** With Wake leading by three, @brdst11 turned to me and suggested “maybe we should try Jeffress on Reid.”

** Turns out the Coach Capel was thinking the exact same thing, and moments later Will entered the game for Fede.

** Efton never scored again, and immediately the Panthers embarked on a 14-4 run to take control of the contest. It’s not overhyping to suggest that Will’s insertion was the catalyst of the change.

** It wasn’t just so much that Will enabled the Panthers to successfully front Reid, his presence also allowed the Panthers to switch more successfully on screens.

** And the little lineup with Will, Blake, Ish, Bug and Jaland brought home the win. A big and important win for the Panthers.

** Will even got to contribute a flying slam when Wake seemingly forget to guard him.

** Two years ago, @Franb offered the facetious nickname to Will as “The Glassman” as he only seemed to be able to offer a couple of rebounds among his unremarkable contributions.

** Tonight, my friend offered a new nickname for Will as “The Assman,” when he boxed out Reid with his behind pushing him all the way on the floor. Love it!

** Last game, my college freshman kid suggested that Bub is unquestionably the Panther X factor on offense. If Bud scores, he believes the Panthers will win.

** Still, this was a win when the entire Panther squad dug deep on defense to allow some time for Panther jump shots to start falling. In fact, the Panther defense plus better jump shooting success, along with some splendid aggressiveness from Ish, provided Panther fans to watch what appeared to me as the best overall half of basketball on both ends of the floor this entire season.

** But they are a team who before tonight who were quite a bit closer to the NCAA tournament than we were. They entered the night near #40 according to Pomeroy, and had they triumphed this night, we would have provided them with an important Quad 2 win on their journey. In other words, they had plenty to play for.

** I’m encouraged that our Panthers played tonight as if they had at least as much to play for. It’s maybe even fair to say that they even played much better than that.

** Sure, I should offer my usual complaint that Capel’s offense still offers up nothing but jump shots. This to me just isn’t very good offense.

** But in the second half tonight, it was more than enough offense to enjoy this game as a fan tremendously.

** It was also more than enough to make the Notre Dame game on Saturday as full day affair that I’m really looking forward to. A win of Saturday and we will have almost evened our ACC record.

** Sure, the road to something special at the end is still long and hard. But with a win tonight, that road is still open, and going into February, that’s at least enough for this fan this night.

** This fan also looks at Saturday’s game as a perfect chance to get together with several PantherLair friends for some pregame beverages. The thought is that will meet at Hemmingway’s. I hope many of you will join to toast continued success for our Panthers this season.

** Hail to Pitt!!
Pitt would have been a quad 1 win for Wake I believe.

@DT_PITT, yes. Pitt was dead in the water. Just keeping their nose above the surface.

And then in came Will.

Kind of like a life preserver. At times Pitt used Will to front Reid. Made it tougher to enter the ball to him. Also gave Pitt a bit more time for help to arrive when they opted to double.

Plus the small lineup gave WF a harder time defending. Spread them out. And the guys executed and made shots.

My favorite play tonight was probably the “RPO” out of the timeout by the Panthers. Will with the fake handoff and keeper; all the way to the rim for the monster slam! Great 2H by Pitt!

Last edited:

** Turns out the Coach Capel was thinking the exact same thing, and moments later Will entered the game for Fede.

** Last game, my college freshman kid suggested that Bub is unquestionably the Panther X factor on offense. If Bud scores, he believes the Panthers will win.

** Still, this was a win when the entire Panther squad dug deep on defense to allow some time for Panther jump shots to start falling. In fact, the Panther defense plus better jump shooting success, along with some splendid aggressiveness from Ish, provided Panther fans to watch what appeared to me as the best overall half of basketball on both ends of the floor this entire season.

** But they are a team who before tonight who were quite a bit closer to the NCAA tournament than we were. They entered the night near #40 according to Pomeroy, and had they triumphed this night, we would have provided them with an important Quad 2 win on their journey. In other words, they had plenty to play for.

** Hail to Pitt!!
I may drag my old ass to join you bums. I miss the Pete. How's your bride these days?

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
I may drag my old ass to join you bums. I miss the Pete. How's your bride these days?
She’s hanging in. I’ll tell her you said hello. It would be great to see you. During the game today, we were lamenting the scores of friends there were 15 years ago hanging out around Pitt hoops. The list is much smaller now. Maybe honoring the 2009 team can bring more of us back together.

** Last game, my college freshman kid suggested that Bub is unquestionably the Panther X factor on offense. If Bub scores, he believes the Panthers will win.

** Still, this was a win when the entire Panther squad dug deep on defense to allow some time for Panther jump shots to start falling. In fact, the Panther defense plus better jump shooting success, along with some splendid aggressiveness from Ish, allowed Panther fans to watch what appeared to me as the best overall half of basketball on both ends of the floor this entire season.

** But they are a team who before tonight who were quite a bit closer to the NCAA tournament than we were. They entered the night near #40 according to Pomeroy, and had they triumphed this night, we would have provided them with an important Quad 1 win on their journey. In other words, they had plenty to play for.

** Hail to Pitt!!
Good stuff, DT.

See ya on Sat!

Reactions: NTOP
Two thoughts:
--on the Jeffress dunk, I don't think it was so much that Wake forgot to guard him, it looked more like a bootleg play. QB fakes the handoff, the linebacker went for the fake and the QB runs up the middle.

--Watching #2 (Hildreth) guarding Hinson was fascinating. He never looked at the ball, just stood in front of Blake looking at Blake's eyes. A ball could have hit him, and he'd never have seen it coming. That Pitt doesn't run screens for Blake in that situation is puzzling to me. So in the absence of screens, rather than just standing there which is what Blake usually does, I though of 2 possibilities: a) fake like the ball is coming to him just to see Hildreth flinch. b) eat lots of garlic to breath in his face.

I love the three guard offense for Pitt, and they are all back next year (I hope !), Ish, Bub, Lowe. Having Jeffress at Center with that group is unique and I think we will see more of that.

Kudos to Will for channeling in the 2000's Panthers toughness!!!!!

Must win. Guys came through.

If Mama Bear sent her son to Pitt, what is our record right now? 17-4?

That game pretty much cemented for me that let's enjoy Bubs for the next two months. Because there is 0.1% chance he returns next year. Either in the NBA or wearing a UNC, Kansas, Texas, Kentucky, Alabama aka "the usual suspects" uniform next year. If he doesn't go to the NBA, he is going to be a tough keep. That's life today.

Ish!!!!

I like the small lineup. Gives us more quickness. It was counter intuitive it working against a true 7'1 manchild 5. But Will channeled his inner Big Fella. And dunk of the year so far for the Panthers!!

I was thinking at half we have to outscore them by double figures to win in half 2. I thought to myself, what are the chances? I figured maybe 10%. Then we come out and put 50 on them while allowing only 35. I would agree that it was the best half of hoops we have played this year. Credit Capel for playing the "ASSMAN" on Reid.

It's clear Will knows how to box out as he backed Reid out of there, had him moving backward and fell on top of him at least twice. Will had no fear battling with the bigger Reid. Hopefully that "no fear" attitude can rub off on Fede. Fede is just so weak and slow and while he was in probably should have been fronting Reid. He just doesn't play physical enough or move his feet well enough to play behind him, although he may have fouled out early if they tried this.

Anyway, this team can still have a nice finish. Teams continue to limit Hinson which is smart, but, when Bub and Ish play like they did and make half their shots we are a dangerous team. I think HCJC has been doing a better job lately, pushing the right buttons. We have some guys who are making some surprisingly good contributions lately. Hopefully HCJC continues to get these surprise contributions, perhaps Zach Austin's turn for a nice game on Saturday???

That game pretty much cemented for me that let's enjoy Bubs for the next two months. Because there is 0.1% chance he returns next year. Either in the NBA or wearing a UNC, Kansas, Texas, Kentucky, Alabama aka "the usual suspects" uniform next year. If he doesn't go to the NBA, he is going to be a tough keep. That's life today.

Ish!!!!

I like the small lineup. Gives us more quickness. It was counter intuitive it working against a true 7'1 manchild 5. But Will channeled his inner Big Fella. And dunk of the year so far for the Panthers!!

Unfortunately, I think you're right. Bub is all but gone next year. So we better enjoy watching him now. With NIL what it is, he'll take his payday with one of the elites and wave goodbye to Pitt.

Ish!!!!

My best guess is that Bubs staying at Pitt for another year . Being the son of a coach whose father didn’t leverage his son for his own advancement means something . I think loyalty to his coach will overcome any other factor . Plus Bubs not physically ready for the NBA right now .

Thought the same about EF , Having a a guy like that ……. Hopefully Papa can add that to next yrs team .

My best guess is that Bubs staying at Pitt for another year . Being the son of a coach whose father didn’t leverage his son for his own advancement means something . I think loyalty to his coach will overcome any other factor . Plus Bubs not physically ready for the NBA right now .

Thought the same about EF , Having a a guy like that ……. Hopefully Papa can add that to next yrs team .

I agree that Bub's not ready for the NBA for at least another year, maybe more. But it won't be the NBA he leaves for, his father notwithstanding.

Reactions: Millerton24
One thing I haven't seen mentioned in any of the write-ups or comments was the free throw shooting at the end of the game. I can't remember the team's free throw percentage for the season, but I'm thinking it may be in the 60% range. But my recollection of our free throw shooting at the end of the game was closer to 100%. Blake was good on an and-one, Jaland hit both of his, and Bub hit all four of his. There may have been a few others that I'm not remembering, but what I am remembering was very good.

I agree that Bub's not ready for the NBA for at least another year, maybe more. But it won't be the NBA he leaves for, his father notwithstanding.
I have no idea what it costs to retain a guy like Bub or pay an incoming player, but the real money for Bub is in the NBA. It's an enormous risk for him going to a blue blood and not fitting in.

He will truly get to showcase himself at Pitt with Lowe and Ish. I'm sure that's just my Panther glasses, but Bub has been taken care of really well at Pitt by the coaches. He seems like a great kid and gets along with Jaland.

I just don't know how Bub could go to the NBA this year with his inability to finish at the rim and his overall strength. His potential will get him drafted for sure though.

Reactions: PittMBA and 121rum
One thing I haven't seen mentioned in any of the write-ups or comments was the free throw shooting at the end of the game. I can't remember the team's free throw percentage for the season, but I'm thinking it may be in the 60% range. But my recollection of our free throw shooting at the end of the game was closer to 100%. Blake was good on an and-one, Jaland hit both of his, and Bub hit all four of his. There may have been a few others that I'm not remembering, but what I am remembering was very good.

Their FT shooting improved as the game progressed and it wasn't Fede shooting them. :oops:

Got to the car last night after the game in time to hear part of the post game radio show. During an interview segment with Hinson, it was mentioned that Pitt was 11 of 13 from the FT line down the stretch. Think Pitt was 81% on foul shots for the game.

Reactions: PittMan2003
Got to the car last night after the game in time to hear part of the post game radio show. During an interview segment with Hinson, it was mentioned that Pitt was 11 of 13 from the FT line down the stretch. Think Pitt was 81% on foul shots for the game.
Might have two more wins if we had shot like that in other games.

This fan also looks at Saturday’s game as a perfect chance to get together with several PantherLair friends for some pregame beverages.
Did you just refer to yourself in the 3rd person?
It's a slippery slope and short trip to full-on Barry Bondsism.
I'd keep an eye on it.

Did you just refer to yourself in the 3rd person?
It's a slippery slope and short trip to full-on Barry Bondsism.
I'd keep an eye on it.
I thought is was Ricky Henderson.

DT_PITT really got a kick out of that guy.

Reactions: MajorMajors
Might have two more wins if we had shot like that in other games.
Yep. A lot of it has to do with who is shooting the FT’s, too. Especially at crunch time.

The 3G lineup has 3 guys (Bub, Ish, Lowe), who are typically pretty good FT shooters, handling the ball most of the time. So they ought to be the ones getting to shoot FT’s the most.

Beyond those 3 is where things have been more problematic. But if the score - and other circumstances like individual foul trouble - late puts Pitt in a position to have those 3 handling the ball, Pitt should have a decent chance at the FT line to close things out.

Here's a question. What happened to Hinson? I mean he had some back breaking 3's, but he seems to have grown a conscience over the past few games (not sure that is always a good thing) and there are times I have thought for sure he would fire a 3 and he doesn't.

Here's a question. What happened to Hinson? I mean he had some back breaking 3's, but he seems to have grown a conscience over the past few games (not sure that is always a good thing) and there are times I have thought for sure he would fire a 3 and he doesn't.
I think it has a lot to do with being coached to win and buying in and to put the selfish notion of i got to get my points for us to win aside. These guys are playing more and more as a team as each game goes by. Getting efforts like we got from Will last night and GDG last week at Tech is proof the team concept is emerging.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT