ADVERTISEMENT

Washington State wins 2 in a row

levance2

All American
Aug 17, 2010
Pittsburgh
over St. Joe's and St. Mary's. They were #218 before that and #177 after. Pitt is currently #157 on the opposite trajectory. We are almost certainly the worst P5 team now unless we blow out Lehigh tomorrow.

I think Pitt loses to WVU and Towson and finishes the OOC 7-6. I watched a little of WVU-UCF today and WVU started down like 7-2 and ended up winning 83-45 in Orlando. If Huggy doesn't go easy on us, that might be an obscene loss.

Also amusing is that Wake Forest and Pitt are responsible for 8 of the ACC's 14 losses on the season. Assuming current scores hold, the conference is 67-14. BC will probably lost to Providence tomorrow.

Cal is the only other P5 team with 4 losses. At least we didn't lose to Chaminade! I can't imagine how disappointing that would be to travel to Hawaii and lose 3 games.

I am shocked that Wazzu beat St Mary’s. I think by the end of the season this will be an outlier on both teams records, but still very, very surprised at this result.

Huggy has his worst team in 4 years at Wvu.He'll be lucky to make the Ncaa tournament this year.No inside game at this time (it will improve when Ahmad gets back in Jan) and the outside shooting is shaky.Believe me it will be a close game at the Pet in two weeks.

Huggy has his worst team in 4 years at Wvu.He'll be lucky to make the Ncaa tournament this year.No inside game at this time (it will improve when Ahmad gets back in Jan) and the outside shooting is shaky.Believe me it will be a close game at the Pet in two weeks.

I cannot imagine a worse matchup for this Pitt team, though.

WVU's pressing style flusters a lot of opponents who aren't used to it, it's going to absolutely shock a team full of guys who are either getting their first taste of D-I ball or who have barely played in the past (Milligan).

Reactions: pittman71

WVU's pressing style flusters a lot of opponents who aren't used to it, it's going to absolutely shock a team full of guys who are either getting their first taste of D-I ball or who have barely played in the past (Milligan).
Stallings is confused now, wait to he sees their press.

Stallings is confused now, wait to he sees their press.

I think Stallings will get a good press break drawn up.

I think the players are going to get overwhelmed, though.

Most of the time a team has issues with a press, it’s on the players in my opinion. Most coaches have a sound press break ready, but the players get sped up and they panic and they ultimately don’t make the correct play.

I mean, you look at Pitt under Dixon. If Pitt was pressed consistently, they tended to eventually get easy baskets. Just like if Pitt pressed defensively, it’d work for a bit but then it would be broken easily for easy baskets.

Once the players adjust and are able to execute the press break, the press is basically over.

WSU beat SDSU last night. They are 6-0 with potentially 3 wins better than any we'll have this year. Unreal.

Ernie Kent for COY.

Yeah, there's no way their press is not eating these freshmen alive.

WSU beat SDSU last night. They are 6-0 with potentially 3 wins better than any we'll have this year. Unreal.

Ernie Kent for COY.

Good God, Ernie Kent I can’t believe it.

One of the worst coaches in the country, I’m shocked they’re winning these games.

Good God, Ernie Kent I can’t believe it.

One of the worst coaches in the country, I’m shocked they’re winning these games.

It's his 4th year. Probably has a relatively settled roster that's not needing to adjust too much early in the year.

It's his 4th year. Probably has a relatively settled roster that's not needing to adjust too much early in the year.

I was more referencing his time at Oregon where he had some good teams, but overall way underachieved.

I can’t question his talents as a recruiter, but the guy is and has been one of the worst gameday coaches in the country.

I was more referencing his time at Oregon where he had some good teams, but overall way underachieved.

I can’t question his talents as a recruiter, but the guy is and has been one of the worst gameday coaches in the country.

Oh for sure, and I don't even think that he's recruited particularly well there.

I just think early in the season, having some continuity and familiarity within the roster and coaching staff can make a difference.

I'd expect them to fall off because, yeah, Kent seems to be one of those who underachieves his talent pretty substantially and I don't think he's getting much to Wazzu to begin with.

Wash St lost by 14 to UC Davis, a team rated similarly to Lehigh prior to their game against WSU.

There’s hope!

Speaking of bad losses, Georgia Tech lost to Grambling the other night. Oof. McNeese and Delaware St are the 2 teams on Pitt’s schedule comparable to Grambling this year.

Ernie Kent at it again. Getting absolutely smoked at Idaho.

Yep and Cal is getting walloped by Central Arkansas. They’re why I worry about hiring Knight. Think Wyking Jones is in a little over his head.

Georgia Tech also lost to Wofford tonight. Another tough L for them.

Yep and Cal is getting walloped by Central Arkansas. They’re why I worry about hiring Knight. Think Wyking Jones is in a little over his head.

I’ve seen Cal maybe 3-4 times this year and it’s really run the gamut. They looked pretty good against that Wofford team and not bad at all in a loss to Wichita St.

The Chaminade game was an absolute embarrassment that I thought would be a low point for them, but tonight is probably as bad or worse.

Idaho is better than any team Pitt has beaten, so that's actually a less striking road loss than Navy. It does seem like Cal could actually be worse than WSU though.

Before Colorado won yesterday, the Pac-12 had 6 teams rated worse than 100 by Pomeroy. That's unbelievably bad.

I’ve seen Cal maybe 3-4 times this year and it’s really run the gamut. They looked pretty good against that Wofford team and not bad at all in a loss to Wichita St.

The Chaminade game was an absolute embarrassment that I thought would be a low point for them, but tonight is probably as bad or worse.

Not taking point spreads and whatnot into account, this was somehow only Cal’s 3rd worst loss opponent wise of the year. They also lost to UC Riverside and, as mentioned, Chaminade.

Coming into the game, Central Arkansas was ranked within a couple spots of Mt St Mary’s. Amazing to me they’re only the 3rd worst opponent they’ve lost to.

I mentioned them in another thread, they profile extremely similarly to Pitt in terms of overall experience and also minutes continuity. Interested to track them alongside Pitt.

Well it looks like Cal is destined to win the "worst P5 team" prize this year. (Ironically, I don't think their worst loss to Chaminade is even calculated into their Pomeroy rating.)

It is unfathomable how bad the Pac-12 is this year.

Well it looks like Cal is destined to win the "worst P5 team" prize this year. (Ironically, I don't think their worst loss to Chaminade is even calculated into their Pomeroy rating.)

-No where near as bad as you are painting the picture. And lol at Pomeroy

-ASU is undefeated with wins over Kansas, Xavier, St. Johns, Kansas State, and San Diego State. Hands down best resume in the country. San Diego State just beat Gonzaga

-Arizona is undefeated with Alkins back on the team, with wins over UNLV, Texas A&M, Uconn, and Bama

-UCLA has wins over Kentucky and Georgia Tech

-Washington has a win over Kansas

-No where near as bad as some are making it sound.

Cal is very comparable to Pitt in terms of their overall (lack of) experience and minutes continuity.

They have a bit more continuity than Pitt (Pitt’s is really low, there’s a sizable gap between Pitt and the team ahead of them) but they hired a lifelong assistant coach who didn’t have much pedigree into his first HC job and I think he’s in way over his head.

It really is amazing how bad that Conference is.

Cal is very comparable to Pitt in terms of their overall (lack of) experience and minutes continuity.

They have a bit more continuity than Pitt (Pitt’s is really low, there’s a sizable gap between Pitt and the team ahead of them) but they hired a lifelong assistant coach who didn’t have much pedigree into his first HC job and I think he’s in way over his head.

It really is amazing how bad that Conference is.

-You guys keep saying that. Im taking ASU and Arizona deep

-You guys keep saying that. Im taking ASU and Arizona deep

I'll probably take Wichita State deep but that doesn't mean the American is a good Conference just because you have the Shockers and Cincinnati as good teams in it.

Towson would probably finish right around the top half of the P12 this year, that's how bad the bottom is.

There are more than two teams in the conference, hence the “12” in PAC-12.

It's as if he doesn't understand that teams like Cal, Washington State, Oregon State and yeah, Washington play in the PAC12. Yeah, Washington has that win over Kansas. Their next best win is, ah, well, probably Montana. At home. By three points.

It's as if he doesn't understand that teams like Cal, Washington State, Oregon State and yeah, Washington play in the PAC12. Yeah, Washington has that win over Kansas. Their next best win is, ah, well, probably Montana. At home. By three points.

-Has anyone here actually looked at the Big 10?

Has anyone here actually looked at the Big 10?

The difference between the two at this point seems to be that the PAC12 seems to be pretty well split between teams that are decent (or whatever word you want to use) or better and teams that are pretty bad. On the other hand, there is a large gap between the top of the Big Ten (Michigan State and Purdue) and everyone else, but they don't have teams as bad as teams like Cal and Washington State. Rutgers and Illinois are not good, but they aren't as bad as the worst teams in the PAC12.

-No where near as bad as you are painting the picture. And lol at Pomeroy

-ASU is undefeated with wins over Kansas, Xavier, St. Johns, Kansas State, and San Diego State. Hands down best resume in the country. San Diego State just beat Gonzaga

-Arizona is undefeated with Alkins back on the team, with wins over UNLV, Texas A&M, Uconn, and Bama

-UCLA has wins over Kentucky and Georgia Tech

-Washington has a win over Kansas

-No where near as bad as some are making it sound.

ASU 2-4 with bad losses to Colorado and Stanford.

WSU 1-4, only beating Cal.

Cal dropped all the way to #221 after losing to WSU by 25 (!) and Arizona by 21.

ASU 2-4 with bad losses to Colorado and Stanford.

WSU 1-4, only beating Cal.

Cal dropped all the way to #221 after losing to WSU by 25 (!) and Arizona by 21.

-You do realize Stanford has been missing 2 starters for most of the season right? Before you write-off Stanford, they are now 5-1 with those 2 players back.

What about Vandy for the worst P5 team?
They already have a conference win (over a likely NCAAT team) and have played a much harder schedule, so probably not. Thank God we didn't play their OOC schedule. We would likely be 4-14 instead of 8-11 or Vandy's 6-12.

They already have a conference win (over a likely NCAAT team) and have played a much harder schedule, so probably not. Thank God we didn't play their OOC schedule. We would likely be 4-14 instead of 8-11 or Vandy's 6-12.

Their schedule is NOT much harder than ours. And besides the SEC, according to Stalling haters, is a horrible bb conference. Nice spin doctor.

Their schedule is NOT much harder than ours. And besides the SEC, according to Stalling haters, is a horrible bb conference. Nice spin doctor.
Their schedule has most definitely been harder. We played only 1 ranked team OOC. Behind WVU who else did we play? Duquesne or PSU is probably the next best team. The ACC is a better basketball conference, but not by that much this year and so far each team has only played 6 games. In conference we have played 3 (you could add VT and our 14 point loss as the 4th if you'd like) likely NCAAT teams and lost each game by 14, 24, and 35. We have the #65 Strength of Schedule AdjEM. CBS Sports strength of schedule puts us #43 overall and #128 OOC and Team Rankings overall #112.

Vanderbilt played 4 ranked teams OOC, plus likely NCAAT team Belmont and other mid majors (MTSU and Radford) who are at least as good as our #2 team played OOC. In conference they have played 4 likely NCAAT teams and are 1-3 with losses by 7, 8, and 7. They have the #7 Strength of Schedule AdjEM. CBS Sports strength of schedule puts them #11 overall and #30 OOC and Team Rankings #34 overall.

It isn't even close. Nice spin, doctor. Talk about being uninformed.

Reactions: PittFathead87
Their schedule has most definitely been harder. We played only 1 ranked team OOC. Behind WVU who else did we play? Duquesne or PSU is probably the next best team. The ACC is a better basketball conference, but not by that much this year and so far each team has only played 6 games. In conference we have played 3 (you could add VT and our 14 point loss as the 4th if you'd like) likely NCAAT teams and lost each game by 14, 24, and 35. We have the #65 Strength of Schedule AdjEM. CBS Sports strength of schedule puts us #43 overall and #128 OOC and Team Rankings overall #112.

Vanderbilt played 4 ranked teams OOC, plus likely NCAAT team Belmont and other mid majors (MTSU and Radford) who are at least as good as our #2 team played OOC. In conference they have played 4 likely NCAAT teams and are 1-3 with losses by 7, 8, and 7. They have the #7 Strength of Schedule AdjEM. CBS Sports strength of schedule puts them #11 overall and #30 OOC and Team Rankings #34 overall.

It isn't even close. Nice spin, doctor. Talk about being uninformed.

I stand by what i said. We'll revisit this when the season is over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT