ADVERTISEMENT

Way way OT: Death

Jun 3, 2023
So, a high school buddy of mine disclosed that he was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer, and given 6 months to 1 year to live. 44 years old, way too young.

We sat on his porch this weekend and discussed life and the inevitability of death. He’s accepted that he is going to die sooner than later, and understands it will likely be slow and painful. I did my best to re-direct and encouraged him to look at it as an opportunity to live life to the fullest. Do some cool things, spend more time with those you love, and don’t regret anything in the end.

It prompted the question in my mind. When it’s your time to go, do you want it to be quick, or like my friend, slow? Also, does anyone believe in the theory that once you know your time is approaching, you lose the motivation to live?

So, a high school buddy of mine disclosed that he was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer, and given 6 months to 1 year to live. 44 years old, way too young.

We sat on his porch this weekend and discussed life and the inevitability of death. He’s accepted that he is going to die sooner than later, and understands it will likely be slow and painful. I did my best to re-direct and encouraged him to look at it as an opportunity to live life to the fullest. Do some cool things, spend more time with those you love, and don’t regret anything in the end.

It prompted the question in my mind. When it’s your time to go, do you want it to be quick, or like my friend, slow? Also, does anyone believe in the theory that once you know your time is approaching, you lose the motivation to live?

I was going to make this another post but there is a company setting up shop in affluent areas (and in Pgh) around the nation that charges 20K/year for regular testing to catch cancer early. It is designed for the ultra-rich. Its a great idea but also brings up the ultimate conundrum. How much would you pay for the chance at extending your life?

I was going to make this another post but there is a company setting up shop in affluent areas (and in Pgh) around the nation that charges 20K/year for regular testing to catch cancer early. It is designed for the ultra-rich. Its a great idea but also brings up the ultimate conundrum. How much would you pay for the chance at extending your life?

My guess would be quite a lot, given how much people are paying from cryonics after death. Although I believe there is a discounted rate if you only want your head frozen.

I mean, that's a little more along the lines of immortality, but you if you have that kind of cash and value your presence on Earth that much, well, seems like there's certainly a market for it.

My guess would be quite a lot, given how much people are paying from cryonics after death. Although I believe there is a discounted rate if you only want your head frozen.

I mean, that's a little more along the lines of immortality, but you if you have that kind of cash and value your presence on Earth that much, well, seems like there's certainly a market for it.

Its pretty unbelievable that in the richest country in the history of Earth, you have to pay 20K/year for the type of testing that could extend your life by finding cancer early. Its ashame that most people have cancer detected early enough.

I want to live long enough to see my daughter established in her life/career. I originally told the Lord I just wanted to see her graduate HS. She graduated this year. If I'm here to walk her down the aisle, hold a grandchild--I'm playing with house money. I'd prefer a gentle, painless death, but as long as I die knowing Him, I'll go whenever and however He wants me to.

Reactions: Shomeydamonee

Not what you asked, but.....your friend might have his doctor refer him for hospice care. (No, you don't have to be "two-steps from death" to be in hospice care.)

FWIW, a good hospice program can make a sad situation more comfortable for both him and his survivors.

Best of luck to him. You sound like a great friend to have.......:)

I want to live long enough to see my daughter established in her life/career. I originally told the Lord I just wanted to see her graduate HS. She graduated this year. If I'm here to walk her down the aisle, hold a grandchild--I'm playing with house money. I'd prefer a gentle, painless death, but as long as I die knowing Him, I'll go whenever and however He wants me to.
Amen brother!

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I want my head frozen and 100 years from now reattached to a younger body. Live forever....

yeah, i want it to be quick. who the hell wants a long drawn out, slow death?
Without a doubt. And I already saw the Steelers win a few Super Bowls. I've seen Pitt win the ACC. I've listened to the best music I'll ever hear; I've watched the best movies I'll ever watch. I'm past my peak in attractiveness. Quite frankly, come and get me in my sleep any day now, death. It can only go downhill from here.

Without a doubt. And I already saw the Steelers win a few Super Bowls. I've seen Pitt win the ACC. I've listened to the best music I'll ever hear; I've watched the best movies I'll ever watch. I'm past my peak in attractiveness. Quite frankly, come and get me in my sleep any day now, death. It can only go downhill from here.
that's the spirit..

I think if I were givent he same news, I'd travel with my wife and daughter and see places and cultures I have not experienced before. Then I'd settle in comfortably at home and await my fate.

I think if I were givent he same news, I'd travel with my wife and daughter and see places and cultures I have not experienced before. Then I'd settle in comfortably at home and await my fate.
We do that as much as we can. Pretty lucky so far...heart surgery in 2017, feeling good most days. still having fun. Best wife ever. 6th grandchild born in December. Happiest goober I've ever seen.
My oldest granchild is 28. None here in Pgh, so we bounce around a lot. Gonna keep rolling as long as I can.

I want to go instantly. Like, have a nuke detonate directly over my head. One minute I’m walking along happy as can be. The next I’m instantly vaporized.

My mom died a slowish death from cancer. Ain’t no living life with whatever is left in that scenario.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
When my time is up my time is up . As long as I know I have been the best person I could be and have been honest to myself , God and Jesus Christ . I'll rest in peace .
Nothing more . Nothing less ... H2P ...

Last edited:
Reactions: PantherDDS
Quick brother… quick! Hit by a bus, massive heart attack during sex, taking a bullet for someone…. anything quick. I live my life pretty good, and everyone I care about knows it. My OCD would make me miserable sitting around obsessing over death.

I think the answers mostly fall into what people say at funerals, right? If it is a drawn fight with cancer or dementia, people always say "well, at least they are no longer in pain". Versus say a sudden heart attack. "well he didn't suffer".

And that's the thing....the former is almost a relief to the family when they go, but agony for the individual. The latter is shocking and devastating to the family, but the person didn't really feel much.

one thing i see a lot more of, and i believe covid helped (weird wording i know) but even before covid i noticed it too. the 3 day funeral process, two days of being laid out at funeral home and the 3rd day being a funeral is really rare anymore..

i remember not too long ago, someone dies and it's 3 days. lord almighty was that just drawwwwwwwn out and painful. people just dont seem to do that anymore and that's a good thing. i tell my family it's one day, a 1/2 day. this nonsense of going to the funeral home in back to back days lol. Screw that noise.

give your respects and have a nice little get together after wake style, enjoy seeing relatives, get some good food and drink and make it a joyous event, not 72 hours of sitting around hoping time speeds up like we used to do..

Reactions: Ski11585
I think the answer depends on how much you need to clean up in your life before you die.
Do you have words which need to be said?
Are your financial arrangements complete?
Is your Will up to date?
Does your house need maintenance which your spouse can’t handle without your input?
Does your spouse have all relevant logins/passwords?
Have you sanitized your digital footprint?
Are you leaving a mess at work which matters to you?
Do you have instructions or plans for your survivors to handle your carcass?

If your reputation among family/friends/business matters to you, if you care what those folks have to do to adjust to your permanent absence, then there’s a LOT to think about and do before dying.

I’ve had relatives fall over dead in their 40’s, and I (and my sibs) have helped my Dad to pass over a matter of months.

I’ve faced my own mortality twice, and was utterly unprepared the first time (which I deeply regretted after the crisis), and I was much better prepared the second time.

It’s better to have some lead time like your friend does. It’s not so bad facing death once you accept it’s inevitable. Not pleasant! But not necessarily paralyzing fear.

My 2 cents.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT