ADVERTISEMENT

WBB: Lance White fired

mike10003

Redshirt
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2009
First head coach hired by Lyke to get axed.

Nice guy . But not a good coach
Agree, great guy but nothing personal just business. In January I heard that this was inevitable. I'm sure HL has her short list of candidates. H2P!!!
That seems to be the resounding sentiment today. Sad it didn’t work out because it looked like a solid hire on paper. Best of luck to him and his family… I wouldn’t expect Heather to miss twice on a hire!

Reactions: pierre93
Definitely a nice guy and I liked the hire. As well as his choice of assistants. But the losses never stopped. The team actually played some good teams close but close isn't good enough. And there were more blowout losses than close losses.

Best wishes to Lance White and all the coaches.

And good luck to Heather - tough decision to make. And please get the new contract right…

Go Pitt.

Can someone name some possible candidates? I know former Vandy coach Balcomb is extremely interested. She’s at a d2 now

YEah, Lance seemed like a really good dude, and his coaching staff as well, but it just didn't work out. Best of luck to him and everyone in the future, and hopefully Heather's next hire can bring Pitt forward.

Can someone name some possible candidates? I know former Vandy coach Balcomb is extremely interested. She’s at a d2 now
I'd give an interview to Caroline McCombs. She was an assistant coach here under Beranato for 5 years and is a very hard worker. As a HC she turned around Stony Brook and George Washington programs. This is a name that has been brought up. H2P!!!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bschulter and Chaos
I’d be looking to hire someone with a decent amount of head coaching experience just to get the ship righted. Being a D1 head coach should be the bare minimum requirement. The women’s coach at Youngstown State has done a nice job turning that program into a consistent winner.

Last edited:
So you’re dismissing somebody who runs the day to day team operations of an NBA team? Not to mention they’ve won at every level and is one of the top players of all-time.
Have you ever coached a team?

The best coach in college basketball had no coaching experience and got a D1 job straight from the WNBA.
And despite the stereotype that coming right from her playing career, she would only be a recruiter, Dawn Staley's time at Temple showed she could immediately coach up a team with X's, O's, and motivation.

I have no clue who a good hire would be but nothing wrong with considering great players in your short list.

Answer’s obvious - can’t believe it hasn’t been suggested.

Hire a Pitt man. Or woman.

Someone mentioned the former Vanderbilt coach. If you want to go with a Vanderbilt coach, maybe we can consider the current Vanderbilt coach, Shea Ralph, who was an assistant here at Pitt for five years under Agnes Beranato to be a "Pitt woman".

Although she hasn't had any good seasons at Vanderbilt yet, so that would be taking a big chance.

Someone mentioned the former Vanderbilt coach. If you want to go with a Vanderbilt coach, maybe we can consider the current Vanderbilt coach, Shea Ralph, who was an assistant here at Pitt for five years under Agnes Beranato to be a "Pitt woman".

Although she hasn't had any good seasons at Vanderbilt yet, so that would be taking a big chance.
Can’t tell if you picked up on it. But was pure sarcasm. And possible I’m missing some too haha.

Happens with football and men’s hoops all the time. I was just joining the party for the women. Kinda.

Might as well add Yolett McPhee-McCuin’s name to the list.

Reactions: cease10
Can’t tell if you picked up on it. But was pure sarcasm. And possible I’m missing some too haha.

Happens with football and men’s hoops all the time. I was just joining the party for the women. Kinda.

I assumed so. But like I said, we do have a connection to the current Vanderbilt coach.

Of course I think everyone assumes that if she does well at Vanderbilt (or at Pitt, if she would come here) that she'll be the next coach at UConn.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT