ADVERTISEMENT

We Are...Who We Thought We Were

Mr. Monaca

Redshirt
Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
Today's outcome is no surprise to any of us. We are - exactly who we thought we were.

On offense - we lost some really outstanding offensive linemen to graduation and it definitely hurts. There is no single replacement for James Conner, and Nathan Peterman was an excellent QB in this system. The revolving door on the offensive coordinator's office hasn't helped us either. The only playmaker is Quadree Henderson, but PSU was never going to let him beat them today. They were sold out to stop him on the jet sweeps. (We should have only used them as a decoy to exploit their over-pursuit.)

On defense - our inability to recruit the LB position continues to plague us and that's something that has to be addressed, although I don't know what the answer is. Our DB's are still too small, although they seem to be covering better this year. But there are no playmakers...no difference makers.

Overall - we simply don't have the talent to compete at the highest level. We don't have great team speed, and I thought that was very evident today. The coaching staff's overall schemes weren't bad, and were good enough to keep us in the game. We were simply overmatched by PSU's talent. They simply have some athletes who can make big plays, and that's what we lack. We made up for it last year with a more experienced team. But until and unless we can begin recruiting a better grade of athlete on both sides of the ball we will always be a top 40 team, with a chance to crack the top 20 every 3 years or so. That's not pessimistic. That's simply what we are, at least for now.

Can it change? I suppose. But it's troubling that we can't land even one top-level linebacker or top-grade quarterback. Those are the positions that require playmakers and game-changers. We just can't seem to get any.

For me - the leading indicator of when we'll emerge from mid-level status is when we recruit a couple of 4/5-star linebackers and a 4-star QB each year. (And I realize how screwy the star systems are...what I mean is legitimately high-level recruits at both of those positions. To this point under the last several coaches, we've had none.) Until then, good schemes can keep things close and when we have senior-laden teams we'll be good enough to knock off some good teams, but we won't break down the door until we land great athletes at those two positions.

they have some talent, agree for some reason we have really struggled at LB, which shouldn't be that hard to recruit. QB has been a struggle since Walt left. Walt got by not necessarily on highly rated guys(however palko and rutherford were highly rated) but Walt just new QB talent. PC sucked at QB recruiting.

Savage & Peterman were quality QBs.
They were definitely quality QBs, but we didn't have them for long enough. We can't seem to recruit the good ones directly out of high school. It makes it awfully difficult to establish consistency with a series of graduate transfers.

Savage & Peterman were quality QBs.
agree they were but we didn't recruit those guys and Savage played one season. Since Walt left we havent recruited or developed a good QB. You hope if you bring a guy in they give you 3 good season's, or at least two.

they have some talent, agree for some reason we have really struggled at LB, which shouldn't be that hard to recruit. QB has been a struggle since Walt left. Walt got by not necessarily on highly rated guys(however palko and rutherford were highly rated) but Walt just new QB talent. PC sucked at QB recruiting.
Walt also really knew how to develop QB talent. He was very good with that.

Walt also really knew how to develop QB talent. He was very good with that.
he was. To bad DW didn't have someone that could do the same. Those were some really good teams his last few years. PC was good at that as well he just didn't bring in any guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT