ADVERTISEMENT

I know we feel safe but

Getting blown out 3 times is bad. I don't understand why people dismiss that. It reflects poorly on your team. Pitt played 35 games this year. 6 of them were against teams that don't belong on a court with a P5 program. That leaves 29 real games. Getting blown out 3 times in 29 games is bad!
Dude come on. Everyone has those six games or more. Vanderbilt lost a game but like 70. Nc state got blown out three times by Clemson. Rutgers is 9-4 on q3 and four games which is pretty awful.

We are almost definitely one of the last 2 in. And you can make a very good case for OK St, Nevada, and Vandy to get in over us. I think we'll get in and I think we should get in over those teams but wouldn't be surprised if they took them over us. OK St and Nevada's NET and computer numbers are way better. Vandy beat us and has some really nice wins.

In the BM update, we are in the least number of brackets (68) of any team in the field. OK St (31), Nevada (28), and Vandy (11) arent as far behind as I think many of you think. This isnt a slam dunk lock that we're in. Again, I do think we get in but its very very close. The reality is the Duke blowout cost us about 4 spots due to the NET drop. We all agree that's stupid but it is what it is. Had we lost by 1 to Mich, WVU, and Duke, our NET would be 35 right now and we'd be an 8/9 seed. But this is what we have to deal with. I think all coaches need to realize this and coach differently. When you are down 25, its vitally important to coach your ass off to only lose by 10-15 instead of 30-35. No walk-ons, press, foul to cut the lead late. It sucks but that's just reality now. When teams keep fouling down 20, they'll change it. Scoring margins matter about the same as the W/L result.
Lots of brackets coming into Bracketmatrix today without Pitt on them. I don’t know what happened overnight, but it’s starting to feel like the 2020 presidential election.

• Haha
Reactions: LVNVPanther
Lots of brackets coming into Bracketmatrix today without Pitt on them. I don’t know what happened overnight, but it’s starting to feel like the 2020 presidential election.
Pitt is in on 72/110. Same % as yesterday, roughly.

Reactions: Fredact
I'll say it again, if Pitt doesn't make this NCAAT, it's UNPRECEDENTED, a 22-11 overall record and a 15-7 record vs. a Power Conference, the ACC. find an example of a team with 22 wins, 15 in a P5, and didn't make it? Find one example?
Clemson has 23-10 and is 15-7

And they should be in.

Teams with .500 or less league records should not be.

Teams with more than a dozen losses should not.

November basketball would be unwatchable if they enacted the dozen loss thing. I'm fine with more than that not being inhibiting but you might be onto something with the sub .500 conference record.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
I live in Dayton and love the UD Flyers, just not as much as I love Pitt. Feeling conflicted, I want UD to win this game, they need it to get in, but I fear if they win, it could knock Pitt out. Btw, I am drinking and watching the game within walking distance of the UD campus, surrounded by Flyer fans.

If we don’t make it, good life’s lesson. Start well and finish well. Pitt did neither.

And play some freakin' defense for once this year! I know some will say we've played good defense, but it's only in short spurts. The talent and footspeed aren't there to play good defense for a whole game.

Look, I think it’s pretty clear it’s about a 65-70 percent chance we get in. This means it’s not at all a shock if we don’t make it and I doubt any talking head will make a stink if we don’t.

Most of the schools in our position have an angle they can argue to say they should be ahead of someone else.

Beat Notre Dame last week and this isn’t a discussion. We made our bed. Great season regardless.

If we all were honest with ourselves I think we’d agree Clemson and NC State right now probably have a better chance than us to win a couple games. We are fading badly. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t get in but I think it’s the honest truth of where this team is.

Getting blown out 3 times is bad. I don't understand why people dismiss that. It reflects poorly on your team. Pitt played 35 games this year. 6 of them were against teams that don't belong on a court with a P5 program. That leaves 29 real games. Getting blown out 3 times in 29 games is bad!

A loss by 1 should count the same as a loss by 50. A loss is a loss

Reactions: gary2 and Fredact
Pitt should be lucky Scheyer called off the dogs or we would have lost by 45-50. Duke was up 35+ points with still lots of time left in the second half. Again just an inexcusable showing considering what was on the line. And sure we can blame the players on that but we also need to blame Capel and his staff. He obv didn't prepare the team or motivate the team to even bother to show up(mentally). Maybe he thought it's a veteran team so he doesn't need to do much but watching that game brought back so many terrible memories of Stallings 2.0.

I mean think about it. It's been 3 straight halves between GT and Duke that Pitt came out really flat and allowed both teams to go on double digit runs. We were up by 13 against GT and within the first few minutes of the second half it was nearly tied. Duke started the game on a 12-0 run I believe and Pitt was down 16 at the half. So what does Pitt do? Do they come out firing and playing with desperation and intensity to try and make a game of it? Uh no, they give up ANOTHER 12-0 run to Duke to start the second half!! Yeah I'm sorry but some of that is definitely on the coaching. I think the "bad" Capel has started rearing its ugly head again and at the worst time.

Hope you didn't hurt yourself falling off the bandwagon. Then again, I doubt you were ever actually on it.

Reactions: Geno60
Final bracketmatrix tally with 83 ballots:
Pitt 51 (61%)
Nevada 26
Ok State 23

Next lowest for a team in the field is 74, so Pitt is the last team in based on this.

A loss by 1 should count the same as a loss by 50. A loss is a loss
This Pitt team over achieved. The team (talent) is not as good as our record.

i do not mean that our record is what it is because of a weak schedule. Our record is what it is, because our team over performed and earned it. We deserve our record.

Anyone evaluating Pitt needs to recognize we deserve our record.

Statistical measures do not adequately reflect this team.

How selections are made now is total batshit crazy. That being said, I think realistically Pitt has a 50% chance of getting in without it being Dayton. With Dayton, maybe 60% chance.

Pitt had 16 P6 wins.... 29 point win at Northwestern.
And they have to win a game to have the right to play 19-13 Iowa State. So, what makes 13 game losers, less than 20-win Iowa State a 6 seed, SMF explain?

Doesn't it balance out, they blew out a few teams themselves, why doesn't that get EQUAL weight to being blown out?

Doesn't it balance out, they blew out a few teams themselves, why doesn't that get EQUAL weight to being blown out?
Committee is a bunch of humans with bias. They cobble together a field with many and various different biases and wish lists from the networks, sponsors, host cities and advertisers. There are various BS numeric things like NET that they can use to justify the most glaring contradictions.

Pitt had negative bias from the bad start to the season. Positive bias for January and February. Then created more negative bias for itself by stinking, blowing, and gagging in the final weeks. If there’s any consolation, the hideous ND loss, the near gag job to a bad GT team, and the awful Duke blowout probably almost knocked us all the way out. Heck, that otherwise innocuous Syracuse win might have saved our bacon, because there are so many media fools with ties to Syracuse, so an impressive win over them still has more cache then it might have, given Cuse was a gibrone team this year.

It is what it is, go out and play and prove them wrong. Otherwise they’ll prove them right. Up to them if the former matters more to the guys than the latter doesn’t matter to them at all.

Committee is a bunch of humans with bias. They cobble together a field with many and various different biases and wish lists from the networks, sponsors, host cities and advertisers. There are various BS numeric things like NET that they can use to justify the most glaring contradictions.

Pitt had negative bias from the bad start to the season. Positive bias for January and February. Then created more negative bias for itself by stinking, blowing, and gagging in the final weeks. If there’s any consolation, the hideous ND loss, the near gag job to a bad GT team, and the awful Duke blowout probably almost knocked us all the way out. Heck, that otherwise innocuous Syracuse win might have saved our bacon, because there are so many media fools with ties to Syracuse, so an impressive win over them still has more cache then it might have, given Cuse was a gibrone team this year.

It is what it is, go out and play and prove them wrong. Otherwise they’ll prove them right. Up to them if the former matters more to the guys than the latter doesn’t matter to them at all.
Even at our peak, Pitt was always under seeded.

Pitt just does not carry the same cache as certain other schools

This year, that was still working against Pitt, then add a national under valuing of our league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT