ADVERTISEMENT

Week 0 idea

No, it doesn't. It tells you the number of viewers... now since probably 90% of those viewers are in SEC country, its not very relevant on a national level. Its really not a hard concept to grasp...higher ratings dont always equal a great rivalry game.

Yes, it does.

Talk about backtracking. That's not what you said. You claimed there was more national interest in Cal/Stanford or Oregon/Oregon St. Well, there clearly is not. If the SEC is only getting viewers in the south, and Cal/Stanford is getting viewers from all over the nation, then Cal/Stanford should have tons more viewers. But they don't. In fact, here are the number of viewers for Cal/Stanford and Florida/Georgia from 2013-2015.

Cal/Stanford:
1.9M

Florida/Georgia
5.0M
5.7M
4.9M

Cal/Stanford drew 225,000 TOTAL viewers for a game. That's all over the nation. Meanwhile, Florida/Georgia is drawing 4-5 million for a game. Cal/Stanford isn't even drawing viewers from its own backyard, and you claim its nationally relevant.

Reactions: Jpripper88
For example, why would Clemson/South Carolina and Florida St/ Florida vote for this? They already play their rivalry game anyway. What would be the point of them going through this convoluted process when they already play their game in the first place?

You would have schools like North Carolina or Virginia who wouldn't qualify for the extra game.

Easy. FSU/UF and Clemson/SC would now become Week 0 exempt games so all 4 programs would get an extra game to schedule whoever they want.

UVa's rival would be Maryland.

The ACC NC school's rivals would be in-state teams ECU, App St, and Charlotte.

Syracuse: UConn
BC: UMass
Pitt: PSU
Lou: UK
UVa: Md
VT: WVU
NC schools: ECU, App St, Charlotte
Clem: SC
GT: UGa
FSU: UF
Miami: FAU/FIU/UCF/USF

Yes, it does.

No, it really doesnt. As ive told you, the links I've posted agree with me, not you... why don't you go take your ridiculous argument up with the writers at Athlon, Fox Sports, CBS Sports...etc. Go explain to them how wrong they are. Lmao

Fsu vs Bama will have higer ratings than most every game this year... that obviously isn't a rivalry game so you see how dumb your "higher ratings = better rivalry" argument is. Its just ridiculous.

As ive told you, the links I've posted agree with me, not you... why don't you go take your ridiculous argument up with the writers at Athlon, Fox Sports, CBS Sports...etc. Go explain to them how wrong they are. Lmao

No, it's not ridiculous at all. Again, YOU made the claim that Cal/Stanford and Oregon/Oregon St were more relevant nationally than rivalries like Georiga/Florida. YOU specifically more people would rather watch a game like Cal/Stanford or Oregon/Oregon St. Well, that is factually incorrect. More people watch the SEC rivalry games than the two you named. That's because they two you aren't named aren't relevant nationally.

Florida St vs. Alabama isn't part of the discussion. I'm only comparing rivalry games, and the ones you named simply aren't relevant nationally. The is simply less interest in Cal/Stanford and Oregon/Oregon St than there is in games like Georgia/Florida or Alabama/LSU.

No, it's not ridiculous at all. Again, YOU made the claim that Cal/Stanford and Oregon/Oregon St were more relevant nationally than rivalries like Georiga/Florida. YOU specifically more people would rather watch a game like Cal/Stanford or Oregon/Oregon St. Well, that is factually incorrect. More people watch the SEC rivalry games than the two you named. That's because they two you aren't named aren't relevant nationally.

Florida St vs. Alabama isn't part of the discussion. I'm only comparing rivalry games, and the ones you named simply aren't relevant nationally. The is simply less interest in Cal/Stanford and Oregon/Oregon St than there is in games like Georgia/Florida or Alabama/LSU.

U mad?

Easy. FSU/UF and Clemson/SC would now become Week 0 exempt games so all 4 programs would get an extra game to schedule whoever they want.

You're missing my point. Why would those 4 programs want the extra game in the first place? Why would they move their rivalry game just to get an extra game they don't want or need?

You're missing my point. Why would those 4 programs want the extra game in the first place? Why would they move their rivalry game just to get an extra game they don't want or need?

Because they kinda like money. They can bring in a G5 or FCS school for the 13th game and get 80K......or use the 13th to schedule a P5 home and home.....or go to a 9 game conference schedule

Again for the 700th time higher ratings doesn't equal a better rivalry...

Your numbers they are irrelevant in this argument.

And for the 800th time, YOU said Cal/Stanford, etc. had more national interest than the rivalries I listed. Well, they don't, and the TV numbers prove it. .

Talk about backtracking. You started out saying Cal/Stanford and co. had more national interest, and now you are backtracking to which one is "better."

Because they kinda like money. They can bring in a G5 or FCS school for the 13th game and get 80K......or use the 13th to schedule a P5 home and home.....or go to a 9 game conference schedule

Then if that's all it is, they would simply vote for a 13th game, and not this convoluted process.

Then if that's all it is, they would simply vote for a 13th game, and not this convoluted process.

Because a 13th game should ONLY be allowed if it encouraged rivalries. Without the convuluted process, you'd see PSU vs Kent State and Texas vs NM State instead of Pitt vs PSU and Texas vs A&M

Because a 13th game should ONLY be allowed if it encouraged rivalries. Without the convuluted process, you'd see PSU vs Kent State and Texas vs NM State instead of Pitt vs PSU and Texas vs A&M

Yeah, but see, you're missing my point. These schools aren't going to vote based on what you want. They are going to vote based on what they want. Your whole basis of this is to encourage rivalries. Well, Clemson and Florida St already play their rivals, so it doesn't affect them.

There isn't anything stopping these other schools from playing each other now. If Penn St really wanted to play Pitt, they would have opposed the Big Ten going to 9 games, so they would have plenty of room on the schedule. A&M and Texas wouldn't play each other if they had 12 extra games. They are in a pissing contest about A&M leaving the Big 12.

Yeah, but see, you're missing my point. These schools aren't going to vote based on what you want. They are going to vote based on what they want. Your whole basis of this is to encourage rivalries. Well, Clemson and Florida St already play their rivals, so it doesn't affect them.

There isn't anything stopping these other schools from playing each other now. If Penn St really wanted to play Pitt, they would have opposed the Big Ten going to 9 games, so they would have plenty of room on the schedule. A&M and Texas wouldn't play each other if they had 12 extra games. They are in a pissing contest about A&M leaving the Big 12.

Why would FSU or Clemson vote against a 13th game even if they dont need it to play a rival? A 13th game means several million more dollars.

Why would FSU or Clemson vote against a 13th game even if they dont need it to play a rival? A 13th game means several million more dollars.

Because you aren't simply talking about a 13th game. You are talking about a convoluted system required to get to the 13th game, and you also aren't even talking about a required game. It would make no sense for Clemson and Florida St to play an extra game they don't need, when other schools aren't playing that game. They would be better off with a bye week.

I bet Alabama and Ohio State would get monster ratings...so in your world that must be a great college football rivalry! Lol

I just caught this gem.

Wow, please tell me that doesn't make sense to you, and that you're purposely being obtuse.

Because if you think this is a valid argument, there's no hope for you.

You have spun this thread around more times than the Tasmanian Devil cartoon.

Because you aren't simply talking about a 13th game. You are talking about a convoluted system required to get to the 13th game, and you also aren't even talking about a required game. It would make no sense for Clemson and Florida St to play an extra game they don't need, when other schools aren't playing that game. They would be better off with a bye week.

OK. Then don't play it. If they dont want to make money on a 13th game, they dont have to. College football programs dont like money.

Exactly correct... it was a different era back when Pitt vs Penn State was supposedly a big game!

Pitt already has one of the greatest national rivalry games in the Backyard Brawl! A game that moves the needle on a national level. Let's embrace that game and stop trying to make the "Keystone Classic" into something it hasn't been in over 20 years!! Move forward, not backwards!! H2P!

I appreciate your passion for the Backyard Brawl. I truly do, but to say it moves the national needle is sheer folly. The only time the game had major national implications on the college football landscape nationally was 13-9.

The Backyard Brawl is a better rivalry than versus Penn State because the series in the last 30 meetings is far more evenly matched between Pitt and West Virginia than it is Pitt and Penn State.

And for the 800th time, YOU said Cal/Stanford, etc. had more national interest than the rivalries I listed. Well, they don't, and the TV numbers prove it. .

Talk about backtracking. You started out saying Cal/Stanford and co. had more national interest, and now you are backtracking to which one is "better."

You keep saying the same wrong BS over and over and OVER again... just give it a rest. Just walk away man..

I havent even mentioned Cal Stanford for several days now... yet you bring it up every single post you make?? Why??
The links i posted agree with me.. not you. Sorry

Last edited:
I appreciate your passion for the Backyard Brawl. I truly do, but to say it moves the national needle is sheer folly. The only time the game had major national implications on the college football landscape nationally was 13-9.

The Backyard Brawl is a better rivalry than versus Penn State because the series in the last 30 meetings is far more evenly matched between Pitt and West Virginia than it is Pitt and Penn State.

Agree to disagree...

At this point I think it's pretty clear that a certain someone in this thread is just trolling people, because no one can be this dumb.

You keep saying the same wrong BS over and over and OVER again... just give it a rest. Just walk away man..

I havent even mentioned Cal Stanford for several days now... yet you bring it up every single post you make?? Why??
The links i posted agree with me.. not you. Sorry

Why? Because that's the cornerstone of your argument. You said:

You have an over inflated view of these run of the mill SEC games...outside of the south east most people arent even watching sec regular season games at all! A lot of people would however tune into a good bitter rivalry like Oregon vs Oregon St, Pitt vs WVU and Cal vs Stanford...

"Outside of the south east most people aren't even watching SEC regular season games."

Wrong, they are some of the highest rated games in the nation.

"A lot of people would however tune into a good bitter rivalry like Oregon/Oregon St, Pitt/WVU or Cal/Stanford"

Wrong again. In three year, two of Cal/Stanford's games drew a grand total of 225k and 423k viewers. That's frankly abysmal.

You have been arguing that certain rivalries are relevant nationally, and they simply aren't. If those games were relevant nationally, they would draw millions of viewers, not 400k. Face it, opinions don't mean jack shit when compared with actual facts and figures.

Why? Because that's the cornerstone of your argument. You said:

"Outside of the south east most people aren't even watching SEC regular season games."

Wrong, they are some of the highest rated games in the nation.

"A lot of people would however tune into a good bitter rivalry like Oregon/Oregon St, Pitt/WVU or Cal/Stanford"

Wrong again. In three year, two of Cal/Stanford's games drew a grand total of 225k and 423k viewers. That's frankly abysmal.

You have been arguing that certain rivalries are relevant nationally, and they simply aren't. If those games were relevant nationally, they would draw millions of viewers, not 400k. Face it, opinions don't mean jack shit when compared with actual facts and figures.

You've said this same bs 100 times... you wanna try for 100 more? Lmao

Like ive told you.. ill take the opinions of those who are paid to cover college football over yours!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT