ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend NCAAT thread

Teams that get hot at the end of the season are much bigger contenders than teams that are hot in November in non conference season. The non conference schedule is not nearly as important as the last 10 games of the season.

Ive said it 1000 times, pay attention to the teams and what they do the last 10 games of the season. NC State is on a heater right now.
Well, NCSU wasn't actually super hot in last 10 but did win the ACCT.

So what happened to Auburn? UAB? St. Mary's? [Insert team name that won conference tourney but is out now]? I understand what you're saying but can't say it always holds true.

Reactions: TD_6082 and 4upmc
Teams that get hot at the end of the season are much bigger contenders than teams that are hot in November in non conference season. The non conference schedule is not nearly as important as the last 10 games of the season.

Ive said it 1000 times, pay attention to the teams and what they do the last 10 games of the season. NC State is on a heater right now.
Obviously the committee didn’t think going 12-4 in your last 16 games meant anything. Don’t wanna continue to sound like sour grapes but this is just sickening how NC State is now in the Sweet 16 after being dead in the water 2 weeks ago tonight after losing at the Pete in the regular season finale and Pitt who absolutely deserved to be in this tournament got no shot at all. It’s just so damn frustrating to sit here and keep watching.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
NC State finished the regular season 4-10. They did nothing until the ACC tournament.

They won 5 straight games in the ACC tournament including beating Duke, Virginia, and North Carolina along the way.

Obviously the committee didn’t think going 12-4 in your last 16 games meant anything. Don’t wanna continue to sound like sour grapes but this is just sickening how NC State is now in the Sweet 16 after being dead in the water 2 weeks ago tonight after losing at the Pete in the regular season finale and Pitt who absolutely deserved to be in this tournament got no shot at all. It’s just so damn frustrating to sit here and keep watching.

Im loving it to be honest.

People like Jeff Goodman and Jon Rothstein and others have been shitting on the ACC all year long. Both of those loud mouths were also riding the mountain west jockstrap after Virginia went down in the opener.

Putting 4 ACC teams in the Sweet or better is instant respect. It will shut up everybody in regards to the ACC. And Duke is going to roll

VT did the same thing a couple years ago but miraculously somehow lost their opening round game. Again, this doesn't always hold true.

As I said before, teams that get hot stay that way, right up until the moment that they are not hot any more. And vice versa. And the notion that anyone can predict when that day comes is absurd.

Of course when you have people talking up a team for being hot at the end of the season when they won 70% of their last ten games as opposed to the 68% of their games that they won all season long, you know just how silly it's getting.

If we only look at the teams that were hot at the end of the season and who go far in the tournament, everyone who is hot at the end of the season goes far in the tournament.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Including those 5 wins, they were 6-4 in the last 10. I'm not knocking them, just saying they were nothing special in the last 10.

In the last 10 games of the season, NC State has the #31 team in the country in the Efficiency metrics per Torvik. Thats much better than their overall body of work. And that does not include the win today.

By the way, I like how in that NC State game that as they came out of the timeout that was taken with about 5-1/2 minutes left in regulation, Evan Washburn said that Greg Kampee told his team that NC State was wearing out, that their shots were getting flat, and they just needed to get three stops in a row to win.

From that point until the end of regulation, NC State scored 10 points on 7 possessions, 1.43 points per possession, and then followed that up with 13 points on 8 possessions (not counting when they got the ball at the very end and were just running out the clock), 1.65 points per possession in overtime. For an overall rate of 1.53 points per possession.

Damn, I wish my team would get tired like that all the time.

I was pulling for Oakland, though they really botched a chance to win it in regulation. You kind of knew it was over once it hit OT. Hope NC State keeps winning now.

Someone tell Mark Madden the dream is over.,,

His article saying that Duquesne is now the best program in Pgh is one of the dumbest things I ever read and I actually like him. Pitt was in the Round of 32 last year. Finished 4th in the ACC this year compared to 6th in the A10 for Duquesne and had a better overall season if you look at the resume. Even in Duquesne's dream season, Pitt was better. And Duq loses their 3 best players. Wont be heard from again for another 50 years.

Courtesy of the friggin Mountain West

His article saying that Duquesne is now the best program in Pgh is one of the dumbest things I ever read and I actually like him. Pitt was in the Round of 32 last year. Finished 4th in the ACC this year compared to 6th in the A10 for Duquesne and had a better overall season if you look at the resume. Even in Duquesne's dream season, Pitt was better. And Duq loses their 3 best players. Wont be heard from again for another 50 years.
Take that Madden you fat slob!!!

Take that Madden you fat slob!!!
Yeah nothing against Duquesne at all … but if they’ve overtaken PITT then basketball is dead in Pgh…

My remark is more about Madden

Hopefully Duquesne doesn’t have to wait 50 more years

Yeah, no matter our feelings about not making it you still have to pull for the conference. Maybe just maybe some of them will realize it’s just not that bad!
Any non NCSU grad or actual Wolfpack fan or sports bettor with money on the line who rooted for them against Oakland is a total douchebag.

By the way, I like how in that NC State game that as they came out of the timeout that was taken with about 5-1/2 minutes left in regulation, Evan Washburn said that Greg Kampee told his team that NC State was wearing out, that their shots were getting flat, and they just needed to get three stops in a row to win.

From that point until the end of regulation, NC State scored 10 points on 7 possessions, 1.43 points per possession, and then followed that up with 13 points on 8 possessions (not counting when they got the ball at the very end and were just running out the clock), 1.65 points per possession in overtime. For an overall rate of 1.53 points per possession.

I'll never believe the "tired" narrative.

Except that the losing team always looks tired and the winning team does not.

Reactions: rockypanther
Says the guy from Michigan.
I root for the Cinderellas/small school heavy underdogs in every game they play that isn’t against one of the two programs I care about. I have nothing but contempt for anyone who would root against a Cinderella just because the team the Cinderella is playing happens to be in the same conference as their favorite team.

How many NCSU fans do you think would be rooting for Pitt against an Oakland in the NCAA tournament, because Pitt happens to be in the same league as NCSU?

I root for the Cinderellas/small school heavy underdogs in every game they play that isn’t against one of the two programs I care about. I have nothing but contempt for anyone who would root against a Cinderella just because the team the Cinderella is playing happens to be in the same conference as their favorite team.

How many NCSU fans do you think would be rooting for Pitt against an Oakland in the NCAA tournament, because Pitt happens to be in the same league as NCSU?
It was a battle of double digit seeds and the line was 6 points when I saw it. The star shooting guard for them even went off about not wanting to be called a Cinderella. You must believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny as well.

I would do the same in just about every year of college basketball in terms of the underdog. I generally dont jump on conference flag waving and pulling for an entire league.

This year is different. With all this mountain west and Indiana State and midmajor pimping going on and all these media heads dumping all over the ACC, Wake Forest and Pitt, Im pulling for the ACC over everybody this season, including my own bracket if it comes to it.

Ive had enough of the bullshit that the ACC is some 2nd rate 2 bid league with a bunch of creampuffs in the conference. Ive seriously had enough of that shit.

And I hope the mountain west gets their doors blown off in their remaining games and I dont care who they play, I want them blown out and gone.

I have no problem with the cinderellas either, I love to see these stories. I also like to see our conference do well. At times these have collided, no doubt.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg

And Kampe was probably right that 3 consecutive stops from that point forward would have iced that game. He was trying to motivate his guys, who were definitely tired, to finish.

It came down to Oakland not having anyone who could handle Burns, which was an obvious mismatch for them before the game even tipped.

Oakland put up a hell of a fight and almost pulled it off. It’s a shame they didn’t.

It was a battle of double digit seeds and the line was 6 points when I saw it. The star shooting guard for them even went off about not wanting to be called a Cinderella. You must believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny as well.
You’re right, they were equally situated. Jack Gholke said so.

This Oregon Creighton game has been awesome.

Ducks need a stop here.

And the Ducks get the stop.

That 200 ranked defense over the course of the year against quality teams isn't quite the same anymore now is it as Creighton has been contained this game. Ducks defense has been ranked in the national top 50 the last 10 games of the season while winning the pac-12 championship.

Double overtime, here we come.

For those in PGH at the games they got lucky to see 2 OT games. Couisnard with the big 3 and now double OT.

I’ve always had a soft spot for creighton ever since I just knew I would play baseball for the jays, LOL…didn’t happen!. Still enjoy following them.

Creighton is going to take it in double overtime.

Great game, congrats to Creighton, good season Oregon.

Oregon had the game in hand at the end of regulation, but stupidly fed Dante the inbound pass when they were up 4. He promptly missed the FT and let Creighton have a chance. When a team blows it like that, it seems they lose in OT more often than not.

Well, NCSU wasn't actually super hot in last 10 but did win the ACCT.

So what happened to Auburn? UAB? St. Mary's? [Insert team name that won conference tourney but is out now]? I understand what you're saying but can't say it always holds true.

In a 64 team one & done tournament, with today's parity, you can find something to cling to in order to support whatever narrative you want to push.

According to the committee, our post season potential ended on December 20, the day we played our last out of conference game. I always heard over the years, that it counts a lot on how you are doing the last month or two, but apparently not. I really believe that we would have made it to the 16.

What do you mean when you say Pitt got no shot at all? Pitt was a 4 seed in the ACC tourney. They only had to string 3 wins together to get to the dance, while 10 seed NC State had to win 5 in 5 days. Pitt absolutely had a shot. Give NC State their due. They won when they had to.

Pitt just dug too big of a hole early. The schedule was mostly stiffs down the stretch and didn't offer much of a chance for redemption. And Pitt didn't really take advantage of it the way they really needed to in order to get off the bubble.

Reactions: Pitt Resume_34
No reason we should be upset at NC State--they have obviously earned where they are--especially now that they made the sweet 16.

Rightly and justifiably Pitt fans should be upset with the selection committee and their use of "granular" data subsets within the NET ratings instead of the straight up total NET ratings themselves to select the at-large teams.

The way the committee does things is, IMHO, a completely flawed way to make at-large selections.

IMO, NET should be used for its entire rating values or not used at all. Maybe why it is not done that way is just to give the selection committee something to do to make themselves feel useful. If it were actually done by the total numbers there would be no need for the committee.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT