ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend NCAAT thread

I root for the Cinderellas/small school heavy underdogs in every game they play that isn’t against one of the two programs I care about. I have nothing but contempt for anyone who would root against a Cinderella just because the team the Cinderella is playing happens to be in the same conference as their favorite team.

How many NCSU fans do you think would be rooting for Pitt against an Oakland in the NCAA tournament, because Pitt happens to be in the same league as NCSU?

Going back to what I said the other night regarding the ACC.

We have people like Mike Decourcy talking shit online about NC State because they beat Oakland in the 2nd round. Do you know how dumb that is? They are the ACC tournament champion, are in the Sweet 16, and beat the team that Kentucky couldnt. Yet he still wants to talk his shit on NC State and the ACC because NC State beat Oakland of all teams. This is again the reason why Im pulling for the ACC over everybody this tournament.

These clowns are all pushing this anti acc narrative for whatever reason.

We have people like Mike Decourcy talking shit online about NC State because they beat Oakland in the 2nd round. Do you know how dumb that is? They are the ACC tournament champion, are in the Sweet 16, and beat the team that Kentucky couldnt. Yet he still wants to talk his shit on NC State and the ACC because NC State beat Oakland of all teams. This is again the reason why Im pulling for the ACC over everybody this tournament.

Not to mention the fact that Oakland is a solid basketball team. Decourcy is a big 10 shill and a real doucher.

Reactions: Vader_Storm
And Kampe was probably right that 3 consecutive stops from that point forward would have iced that game. He was trying to motivate his guys, who were definitely tired, to finish.

Yeah, I was going to respond to DTs post saying something similar. Kampe probably just said that just to try to motivate his team. There's a good chance he didn't believe the "tired narrative", but he wanted his team to believe it.

Either way, it didn't work. But what a fun game, fun doubleheader in fact, for the neutrals.

Colorado ties it up with Marquette.

There's going to be a ton of hate again on the ACC if NC State has to beat Colorado to make the Elite 8. Go Buffaloes.

There's going to be a ton of hate again on the ACC if NC State has to beat Colorado to make the Elite 8.

If that happens, will SMF tell everyone that NC State's run to the Elite Eight doesn't count because of who they played, or does he only reserve that argument for teams we don't like?

Reactions: PITTstorm
If that happens, will SMF tell everyone that NC State's run to the Elite Eight doesn't count because of who they played, or does he only reserve that argument for teams we don't like?

I think the argument is ridiculous. Winning games in the NCAA Tournament to advance is all that matters, and its irrelevant who you beat to advance.

1 win can be lucky. Not 2, 3, 4+ wins.

I think the argument is ridiculous. Winning games in the NCAA Tournament to advance is all that matters, and its irrelevant who you beat to advance.

1 win can be lucky. Not 2, 3, 4+ wins.

Yep. You can only beat the team in front of you, and you have no say in who that team is.

I always say early in the season playing well is more important that winning games. Not that you don't want to win, but if you play a good team and you play well and lose, early in the year, so what? Playing well is a good sign going forward. But now, in the tournament? One, and only one, thing matters.

Survive and Levance.

Reactions: Vader_Storm
Im loving it to be honest.

People like Jeff Goodman and Jon Rothstein and others have been shitting on the ACC all year long. Both of those loud mouths were also riding the mountain west jockstrap after Virginia went down in the opener.

Putting 4 ACC teams in the Sweet or better is instant respect. It will shut up everybody in regards to the ACC. And Duke is going to roll
I hope you’re right and maybe it will help Pitt in future seasons if they are on the bubble again. Next season however better not be one of those seasons. This Pitt team next season with who they have coming in and hopefully with both Bub and Lowe hanging around better be a team that makes the tournament and gets to the sweet 16 and the second weekend. If you’re Capel and you skip the NIT because you think you’re too good of a program to play in the NIT when I personally don’t think they are yet you damn well better make the tournament next year without any problems and get to the sweet 16.

Duke pushes the lead to 15 against James Madison. This is the same James Madison that was beating all the big ten schools this year.

Danger zone. The ACC is getting closer to 3 in the Sweet 16.

Duke pushes the lead to 15 against James Madison. This is the same James Madison that was beating all the big ten schools this year.

Danger zone. The ACC is getting closer to 3 in the Sweet 16.

By JMU beating all the Big 10 schools, you mean just Michigan State and Wisconsin?

You do you. I don’t have a conference agenda in the way I root. And I certainly don’t root for ACC teams in any sport just because I’m a Pitt fan. I don’t care for the majority of them and never have. I have a nephew who recently graduated from Creighton and who’s coming to Detroit for the Sweet 16 game. I’m rooting for them. I have a niece who graduated from NWestern. Rooting for them. Have several friends and neighbors who went to Marquette. Rooting for them. If NCSU gets past them and makes the 8, I’ll be rooting for NCSU. I’ll take all underdogs on all the rest.

My favorite teams tonight will be NWestern and Grand Canyon. I expect both to get rolled, but you never know in late March.

I expect Duke, UNC, UCONN and Purdue to make the FF. I’ll be rooting against all of them every step of the way. Hopefully we see more tight games, late heroics and buzzer beaters the rest of the way out. Games like the Purdue and Duke games this afternoon suck.

Decent chance Clemson beats Baylor and every ACC team who made the field of 64 will have advanced to the Sweet Sixteen… maybe the 4th best team in the conference should’ve made the tournament?

Teams left by conference
Big 12 (6/8)
PAC (4/4)
ACC (4/5)
Big Ten (4/6)
Big East (3/3)
SEC (3/8) 37.5%
MWC (2/6) 33%
A10 (2/2)
West Coast (1/2)
Ivy League (1/1)
Horizon (1/1)
Sun Belt (1/1)
AAC (0/2)
Other one bid leagues (0/19)

3 of the 5 bid stealers remain in the tourney. 8 double digit seeds remain (25%) with at least one guaranteed a spot in the sweet 16 (most likely NC State over Oakland). Houston
Big 12 (2/8) Houston playing
PAC (1/4)
ACC (4/5)
Big 10 (3/6) NW
Big East (3/3) UCONN
SEC (2/8) Bama
MWC (1/6) SD State

ACC now 29-11 last 3 years.

I would love to hear Bilas update his rant one week later. Pretty clear Pitt and St John’s got screwed by MWC and Big 12 and UVA.

Big 12 (2/8) Houston playing
PAC (1/4)
ACC (4/5)
Big 10 (3/6) NW
Big East (3/3) UCONN
SEC (2/8) Bama
MWC (1/6) SD State

ACC now 29-11 last 3 years.

I would love to hear Bilas update his rant one week later. Pretty clear Pitt and St John’s got screwed by MWC and Big 12 and UVA.
It does emphasize that there should never be a scenario where the #4 team in a P4 league with a better than .500 conference record gets shut out. At some point in this era of advanced analytics, common sense may still be the most accurate metric.

Nope, what he would say is NC state plus 3 other teams from a conference that was supposed junk are all in the sweet 16 unlike the conference we were all told is far superior to them. Then he would say that throughout that conferences recent history it hasn't faired to good which is the exact opposite of the conference that is junk by all the experts. Then make an observation about the 1 team that did good maybe wasn't quite as good as their success because of who they played. U know, just an observation that's all.

I don't know if I've ever seen a more strangely officiated game than this Bama vs Grand Canyon game. You could have clocked somebody in the fact with a 2x4 for a while and it wouldn't have drawn a whistle. Hell, they weren't even calling jump ball when guys were playing tug of war while rolling on the ground. Now, they're calling tickets tack fouls.

I don't know if I've ever seen a more strangely officiated game than this Bama vs Grand Canyon game. You could have clocked somebody in the fact with a 2x4 for a while and it wouldn't have drawn a whistle. Hell, they weren't even calling jump ball when guys were playing tug of war while rolling on the ground. Now, they're calling tickets tack fouls.
I blame the annoying girl yelling into the audio feed. Someone needs to shut her up.

Reactions: Conemaugh
Nope, what he would say is NC state plus 3 other teams from a conference that was supposed junk are all in the sweet 16 unlike the conference we were all told is far superior to them. Then he would say that throughout that conferences recent history it hasn't faired to good which is the exact opposite of the conference that is junk by all the experts. Then make an observation about the 1 team that did good maybe wasn't quite as good as their success because of who they played. U know, just an observation that's all.

You could have saved yourself a lot of typing by just saying "of course not, because he has a double standard."

What was the crowd like at the Saturday PPG games? I've been to every Pgh NCAAT game except for our CBI year and the Friday night session in 2002 and usually buy on secondary market and I am confident in saying that that was the hottest ticket in Pgh basketball history, including Pitt Glory Days teams vs UConn, Carmelo, etc. I actually waited to buy tickets thinking the Kentucky youngsters could get beat and tickets would plummet but they skyrocketed after the Ky loss. It made no logical sense. I wondered if maybe Oakland University bought up several thousand tickets and gave them to students for free or something else weird because tickets for 250 each for upper deck and 350 each for lowers is absolutely crazy for the 4 teams involved.

And my God, if Yinzers are going to fork over a grand to take their family to see Oregon, Creighton, NC State, and Oakland, maybe we should try a bit harder to sell Pitt Basketball to these jabronis. I was there Thursday and the place was filled with elementary and middle school kids playing hookie. They may not all be Pitt fans but maybe they'd like to see some ACC basketball. Or at least sell them on coming to see NC State as they strangely bring out the casual yinzer.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT