ADVERTISEMENT

Well, Duquesne is IN

That's interesting, because you are not allowed to play on your home court, but PPG isn't Duquesne's home court. And they have not played more than three games there this season.
But I believe if you sponsor the site you can't play there and Duquesne is the sponsor school.

Glad for them. They have been an awful of a program for decades. Won 20 last year and 24 this year making the tournament for first time in almost 50 years. I never saw them when they were good, but I knew a couple of their past head coaches and it’s damn near impossible to win there, so credit to their coach and players.
I remember when Duq owned the town. Then Pitt wrested it from them. Up until a few years ago, Duq athletics reported to the VP of Student Life, a Spiritan priest. They treated sports as a glorified student activity and budgeted accordingly. Duq admin did not acknowledge or react to the changes in MBB. Thus they became the rare Catholic school that failed to enjoy even a modicum of success. They simply changed coaches. A lot. I knew the last VP in that role (wife’s boss). Micromanager. Meeting him answered a lot of questions I had about why the Dukes perennially sucked. The tines eventually changed on the Bluff. Odds are still long that they can sustain success against the Dayton’s and Xavier’s, but in 2024, here they are.

Well you aren't allowed to play on your home court any more. At one point, a long time ago, you could and schools did play on their home courts all the time. For a Pitt example, our loss to NC State in 1974 in the Elite Eight was at Reynolds Coliseum, NC State's home court.

But off the top of my head, I don't know the answer to your question. We played in Pittsburgh as a three seed. The NCAA used to say that a top five seed could be seeded in their home city. I don't know if any fives ever got that advantage.

2 rules:

1. You cant play on a court you used as a home court for 3 or more regular season games. Duquesne did not play at PPG.

2. You cant play at a venue you are hosting until the Final Four. So obviously Duquesne cannot play at PPG.

There isnt a rule which states you have to be a certain seed to play close to home though. If Pitt were hosting this and Duquesne played 2 home games at PPG this year, then they could technically play at PPG as an 11 or 12 seed but the committee would probably make a considerable effort not to give an 11 or 12 seed a quasi-home game.

Nova plays a good bit of home games at the Sixers arena. When Temple or the A10 or whoever host the NCAAT there, Nova cuts back to the minimum so they can play there in the NCAAT

Reactions: Parkview57
If Dambrot retires and passes the keys to Joyce, then they could continue moving forward if LBJ and others back their NIL.
lyndon johnson lbj GIF by lbjlibrary

• Haha
Reactions: Parkview57
I remember when Duq owned the town. Then Pitt wrested it from them. Up until a few years ago, Duq athletics reported to the VP of Student Life, a Spiritan priest. They treated sports as a glorified student activity and budgeted accordingly. Duq admin did not acknowledge or react to the changes in MBB. Thus they became the rare Catholic school that failed to enjoy even a modicum of success. They simply changed coaches. A lot. I knew the last VP in that role (wife’s boss). Micromanager. Meeting him answered a lot of questions I had about why the Dukes perennially sucked. The tines eventually changed on the Bluff. Odds are still long that they can sustain success against the Dayton’s and Xavier’s, but in 2024, here they are.

Well I have some good news about having to keep up with Xavier...

That changed a long time ago, I think when Colleary came in as AD.

Duquesne's biggest problem is they are literally in the backyard of a neighborhood that should be sending them talent year in and year out but aside from the brief stretch of Blair/Kane/Kennedy the hill has been barren of any D1 players. I think their current roster has many international players on it.

I caught the second half today; I think it sent basketball back 50 years. The confetti exploded and then they didn't score for like 8 minutes or something. Incredibly lucky to win that game.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Pissing down their leg with bad hires, bad firing, unlucky breaks and stupid shit. Finally listening to me and taking Jake Dimichele was a good decision!
The A10 is a very bad conference. Another example of the NCAA tourney's flawed system. Fatso Madden will be slobbering over this.

Pissing down their leg with bad hires, bad firing, unlucky breaks and stupid shit. Finally listening to me and taking Jake Dimichele was a good decision!

Never should have fired Ron Everhart. If Dambrot retires, and his wife has health problems, I wonder if this NCAAT makes it more likely Huggy takes over.

Should Pitt take DiMichele if he portals?

Never should have fired Ron Everhart. If Dambrot retires, and his wife has health problems, I wonder if this NCAAT makes it more likely Huggy takes over.

Should Pitt take DiMichele if he portals?
He won’t portal because he’ll wanna stay in Pittsburgh no matter what. But he can play at any level. He is a worse version of TJ McConnell. Knocks down shots, always makes the right play, opportunistic defender because of High IQ and just wins everywhere he goes.

The fact Tony B and I had to beg Duquesne to take him as a walk on is embarrassing for college coaches. He grew up down the street from RMU (as well as Guillory going to Youngstown State, and Tariq Francis American East ROY) and that stellar program was too good for all 3. I really should text the fired IUPUI coach who chose a 24 year old over me as his 3rd assistant last offseason about how I said I had 2 guards (Jake, Tariq) that no one knew about better than everyone on his roster. Am I that petty? Yeah, probably

FYI: he TORTURED Ithiel Horton when he started coming to our open gyms and Payton would beg to be on his team. Dudes just love to play with him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT