ADVERTISEMENT

What Duzz’s sell to Florida recruits?

Mar 26, 2018
Joey Porter to PSU. The Pine Richland kids going elsewhere. Sanders, Wade and others. We got Ford but Narduzzi seems to be able to land good recruits from Florida, Maryland and other states but can keep the 4 stars here. What is he saying to the out of state guys that they are buying that the local kids aren’t?

His results so far wouldn’t support your statement that he gets good recruits no matter where they come from. Certainly not nearly enough of them.

I was patient for some time but it’s running out. If he gets a 5th year - and it seems likely - cool. But if there aren’t some pretty strong signs things have gotten better he’s gotta go.

Joey Porter to PSU. The Pine Richland kids going elsewhere. Sanders, Wade and others. We got Ford but Narduzzi seems to be able to land good recruits from Florida, Maryland and other states but can keep the 4 stars here. What is he saying to the out of state guys that they are buying that the local kids aren’t?

Narduzzi isnt going to beat Franklin for another recruit that Franklin truly wants. Period.

But we aren't really landing "good recruits" from Florida. We are getting guys who have been passed over by the in state and SEC schools. In some cases by all other P5 schools.

only port I like is wine... go away.

HE DOESN'T HAVE ANY FOUR STARS COMMITTED YET FROM anywhere!
What went wrong with Aliquippa and Pitt? I will throw out my sentiments, and see if you agree. Pitt bent over backwards to bring in additional Clairton guys to land Boyd, but Pitt didn’t do the same with Henry and other Quips. The Rushel Shell situation hurt the relationship. Pitt might have done certain things to land Quips in the past that weren’t happening any longer. Other schools like WV look the other way, but Pitt is more strict with drug testing and other policies. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: GlennEM
What went wrong with Aliquippa and Pitt? I will throw out my sentiments, and see if you agree. Pitt bent over backwards to bring in additional Clairton guys to land Boyd, but Pitt didn’t do the same with Henry and other Quips. The Rushel Shell situation hurt the relationship. Pitt might have done certain things to land Quips in the past that weren’t happening any longer. Other schools like WV look the other way, but Pitt is more strict with drug testing and other policies. What are your thoughts?
He isn't a very good recruiter and the staff doesn't have very good recruiters.

It started before Narduzzi. I asked the poster because I believe he is from Aliquippa.
The last guy wasn't a very good recruiter and the staff didn't have very good recruiters.

Henry was recruited by a very good recruiter at WVU. He was recruited by an awful recruiter at Pitt.

Our posters are from out of state are crazy about O dogs and french fries on the sandwiches. Local guys are used to those luxuries.

The last guy wasn't a very good recruiter and the staff didn't have very good recruiters.

Henry was recruited by a very good recruiter at WVU. He was recruited by an awful recruiter at Pitt.
That doesn’t answer the question in regards to Aliquippa. Chryst landed Dorian Johnson, Tyler Boyd, Holtz, and Biz locally. Those guys had a ton of offers and were rated very highly.

Reactions: pbrad
That doesn’t answer the question in regards to Aliquippa. Chryst landed Dorian Johnson, Tyler Boyd, Holtz, and Biz locally. Those guys had a ton of offers and were rated very highly.
Yes, it does. Aliquippa isn't just going to send kids to Pitt because it is Pitt. If the kids individually don't have a connection then the staff has to sell them on Pitt. The dumb idea that "all Quips go to Pitt" is just that: dumb. A line of kids went to Pitt. Some went because of personal connections. Some went because we had good recruiters selling that. Some went because their other options weren't great. When you have a guy like Chris Haering selling your school and Chryst "closing" it is a very hard task. Some guys you are going to get almost no matter what because they grew up loving Pitt and wanting Pitt and you have to really screw up getting them. That was certainly true for 3 of the 4 you mentioned.

Reactions: oldpanther
He's not getting studs from ANYWHERE.
th

THE #1 recruiting service 24/7 has Porter a 4* and #1 in Pa.Espn has him a 4* and #1 in Pa.Rivals has him a3* and 9th in Pa.

This is Rivals. I have never been on the other sites. So, it is only OK to take recruiting rankings from other sites if they arent Pitt recruits? ok, check.

24/7? has us with 3 top 30 PA and PSU with 2 top 30 in PA.

PSU has one top 10, we have zero. Only 2 are going to big 10 teams, and 3 to ACC teams

Scout has kristofic as #1, he is going to ND

If I remember corrrectly we only got Johnson and Boyd because of the sanctions against the Nitters. I believe Johnson was committed and I remember reading Boyd was going until the sanctions

Heck I'm no expert on recruiting but people who are smarter than me say 24/7 is better than the others.Maybe 4 years from now rivals or ESPN may prove to have been better about these recruits.

Heck I'm no expert on recruiting but people who are smarter than me say 24/7 is better than the others.Maybe 4 years from now rivals or ESPN may prove to have been better about these recruits.
You downplay Holgy and WV, but you would beat PS IMO. It is more about finding the right guys for your scheme.

Did you ever think what the local schools are saying that can’t keep those kids coming to PITT. Some kids want to go away for school. I would want to go away from home. That is why we get some good recruits from other places and why kids here leave

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Years of mediocrity means you need a dynamic closer that can sell a recruit on building a program with great coaching. We have no closer and mediocre coaching. Franklin recruited well to Vanderbilt, he is killing it to psu. All the good programs have good young closers or head coaches who walk into a room and the recruits sign. We took a chance with someone who never ran a program but was perceived as a good coach. Can't recruit and looks like can't coach.

Reactions: PittPoker
247 is the best site for evaluation because it takes all of the sources of info and combines them into a composite. Rivals is well-known to diss kids who don't go to their all-star camps, and I would guess that Porter did not. No other reason for why ESPN and 247 rate him as a decent 4-star, and Rivals has him #9 in the entire state. Given his offer sheet, it would seem that Rivals is the outlier here.

The kid's not going to play in the secondary, though. He's already growing like crazy and will likely wind up as a linebacker or hybrid. His speed is not optimal for the secondary, either.

So your saying that Pitts stricter drug policy is keeping Quip kids from Pitt? What is that saying about these kids.

If I remember corrrectly we only got Johnson and Boyd because of the sanctions against the Nitters. I believe Johnson was committed and I remember reading Boyd was going until the sanctions
Only Johnson. Possibly Holtz. But not Boyd, I don't believe.

Years of mediocrity means you need a dynamic closer that can sell a recruit on building a program with great coaching. We have no closer and mediocre coaching. Franklin recruited well to Vanderbilt, he is killing it to psu. All the good programs have good young closers or head coaches who walk into a room and the recruits sign. We took a chance with someone who never ran a program but was perceived as a good coach. Can't recruit and looks like can't coach.
My concern when I see a guy seemingly unfazed by his scheme failing year in and out, not willing to change to adapt to his players, seemingly willing to lose as long as it's his way. Like Graham and Chryst, is this a guy who knows he is just passing time here and has something else lined up (or has the agent looking for the right opp that he'll leave for)?

Duz definitely fits this with his astonishingly mismatched defense. But Migh State fans warned us he was committed to his D to a fault. And I believed his willingness to put faith in Canada after Chaney left, and commit to the radical offensive change, belied my concern.

But with the lame unimaginative offense last year, and looking like more of the same so far for O and D, and especially the extremely uninspiring recruiting (he appeared to give far less effort, even in his hokey communiques), I'm fearing, again, he might be on autopilot. He seems to have less regard for the importance of winning here... as those other two shared. They were going thru the motions themselves at their respective conclusions.

And I'll still contend, Pitt needs to be worried more of Duz leaving, than he should of Pitt dumping him. Each time this happens, our rep plummets further, and we face getting worse replacements (and/or the price tag soars) .

Hopefully it's just extreme paranoia of what happened with Graham and Chryst.

You downplay Holgy and WV, but you would beat PS IMO. It is more about finding the right guys for your scheme.
Holgy's downfall is his recruiting not his x and o's.When he has a decent QB he puts up the points.His running game thrives when he has a good throwing QB.But there's been years when I could throw it as good as Wvu's QB.For the life of me I can't figure out why QBs aren't lined up to play for him.Wvu's defense is always suspect even though I really like Gibby.Wvu vs Psu would be a very interesting game this year.

He isn't a very good recruiter and the staff doesn't have very good recruiters.

Franklin has Terry Smith and Narduzzi doesn't. I don't know if it's stubbornness (ie, wanting to win with "his guys", even though "his guys" couldn't recruit their way out of a wet paper bag) or cheapness on the administration's part, but it's unacceptable that he hasn't even tried to bring in someone who can make an impact as a recruiting coordinator. Terry Smith has been crucifying Pitt ever since he got hired at PSU and there's been no attempt to find someone to counter that.

When Franklin hired Smith, there were many posts here chortling about how stupid it was, because Smith was hated by all of the other WPIAL coaches. It was a source of great glee. As it turns out, Smith is a pretty good asset, not just for PA kids but for recruiting in general. PN needs to find guys like this for his staff, and not just hire old friends of his. Some guys can coach, some can recruit, and some can do both.

On a more generic level, it would help to have some young African-American coaches on staff that can today's 17 year old athletes can relate to. The current staff is not getting it done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT