ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to UNC football?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Not long ago, UNC was an onside kick recovery away from an ACCG win over Clemson and OB berth. Now, they have completely fallen apart and their fans want Fedora fired yesterday. From afar, it seems like they have recruited well but they went 3-9 last year, 1-7 in the ACC and have lost 12 of their last 13 games vs P5 teams (thanks Pitt). Its hard for me to believe us beating UNC and hard for me to believe they are as bad as these records show. Are they? I don't have a good feeling about Saturday. I don't trust this Pitt team just yet. A win and we are 3 winnable games (home vs Syr and Duke, @ Uva) away from playing for the division in November.

Not long ago, UNC was an onside kick recovery away from an ACCG win over Clemson and OB berth. Now, they have completely fallen apart and their fans want Fedora fired yesterday. From afar, it seems like they have recruited well but they went 3-9 last year, 1-7 in the ACC and have lost 12 of their last 13 games vs P5 teams (thanks Pitt). Its hard for me to believe us beating UNC and hard for me to believe they are as bad as these records show. Are they? I don't have a good feeling about Saturday. I don't trust this Pitt team just yet. A win and we are 3 winnable games (home vs Syr and Duke, @ Uva) away from playing for the division in November.
I have a cousin who is a UNC alum. I spoke with him last night. He expects, at best, only 3 wins this year and Pitt is not one of them. I think Pitt wins by 10.

Not long ago, UNC was an onside kick recovery away from an ACCG win over Clemson and OB berth. Now, they have completely fallen apart and their fans want Fedora fired yesterday.
UNC fans should look at the Pitt AD's actions back in 2010. We dumped a coach who was a true Pitt-man, could recruit and had us a fumbled extra point snap from a possible BCS bowl game. Most believe he was fired because the program got negative press over having a record setting number of players with arrest records (losing every big game didn't help his cause). Pitt still has not recovered. We have not played an important game in 8 years.

UNC fans should look at the Pitt AD's actions back in 2010. We dumped a coach who was a true Pitt-man, could recruit and had us a fumbled extra point snap from a possible BCS bowl game. Most believe he was fired because the program got negative press over having a record setting number of players with arrest records (losing every big game didn't help his cause). Pitt still has not recovered. We have not played an important game in 8 years.

If you're comparing Fedora to Wanny, don't. The situations aren't even close to being similar. Wanny was fired because he couldn't consistently win a terrible conference. Fedora is just a loon.

For the umpteenth time....Wannstedt was fired for finishing 3rd in a crap conference in 2009 and getting totally annihilated against Miami and WVU in 2010. UCONN, Cinci, & WVU all had surpassed Pitt under his watch.

And this UNC game.....this is kind of reminding me about the streak we had with Syracuse in the late 90's early 2000's where we lost many to them. Finally broke though in 2002 and blew them out in the dome. So I'm thinking history repeats itself and we get the monkey off our back with a win Saturday.

Pitt fired him because he was a loser and refused to change anything. He literally was allergic to winning. He had every possible advantage in the BE and found a way to lose. Every. Single. Time.

Who gives a flying f**k if a guy is a "true Pitt man" if he can't win?

He should have been let go for his lack of coaching success, but I think Wannt was fired for other reasons.

If you're comparing Fedora to Wanny, don't. The situations aren't even close to being similar. Wanny was fired because he couldn't consistently win a terrible conference. Fedora is just a loon.
"Death by a thousand cuts" Dave. There is a reason he was also fired at the previous 2 head coaching jobs. His inability to adapt to his coaching jobs cost him. He still thought players wore leather helmets. Always remember Connecticut's 4th down inside their own 30 yard line. That single play was a microcosm of Daves sad coaching abilities.

For the umpteenth time....Wannstedt was fired for finishing 3rd in a crap conference in 2009 and getting totally annihilated against Miami and WVU in 2010. UCONN, Cinci, & WVU all had surpassed Pitt under his watch.

And this UNC game.....this is kind of reminding me about the streak we had with Syracuse in the late 90's early 2000's where we lost many to them. Finally broke though in 2002 and blew them out in the dome. So I'm thinking history repeats itself and we get the monkey off our back with a win Saturday.

Yep, I was thinking exactly that. At that time, I couldn't ever picture us beating Syracuse. I remember that noon game up at the Dome. I remember watching it, thinking "I cant believe this is happening."

Besides the Car Care Bowl win over them, when else did we beat them, I remember a few losses while we were in the Big East including a very rare Saturday night ESPN2 game with one of our best teams post-Sherril with AB, Grim, Barlow, etc. They beat us 20-17. Julius Peppers and that other guy had like 12 sacks each it seemed. That wasn't a good UNC team

Actually, no. Dave was fired because he failed to capitulate to Steve's attempt to meddle with the coaching staff. While Dave's ultimate record was less than what is desired, he actually delivered better results than anyone that has followed. Ironic? Hail to Pitt!

Actually, no. Dave was fired because he failed to capitulate to Steve's attempt to meddle with the coaching staff. While Dave's ultimate record was less than what is desired, he actually delivered better results than anyone that has followed. Ironic? Hail to Pitt!
He had some good years, 9-4, 10-3, 8-5, but he kept failing in the bigger games and sadly could never deliver the BE BCS bid or an outright BE championship.

I remember when BE football was formed, I thought Pitt would win multiple championships, and they never won one outright! Then BC, The U and VT left and Ville, Cincy and UConn came in, and I thought, NOW we win! Uh.... no! LOL

He had some good years, 9-4, 10-3, 8-5, but he kept failing in the bigger games and sadly could never deliver the BE BCS bid or an outright BE championship.

I remember when BE football was formed, I thought Pitt would win multiple championships, and they never won one outright! Then BC, The U and VT left and Ville, Cincy and UConn came in, and I thought, NOW we win! Uh.... no! LOL

A little bit like Dixon...never could win the big one. My view, keep a guy that keeps knocking on the door...eventually you get in. Hopefully Narduzzi gets Pitt back to Wannstedt level winning...and if so, eventually Pitt will win one. For all the bitching and complaining during the Wannstedt years...it would be great to have the level of success of his last few years as coach [recruiting, wins and attendance]. Hail to Pitt!

A beat down saturday from UNC would not surprise me at all.

Because the competition was awful and he had by far the most talent. Pederson was right to demand DW make coaching changes and staff appropriately to lessen his play by play affect on the team.

A little bit like Dixon...never could win the big one. My view, keep a guy that keeps knocking on the door...eventually you get in. Hopefully Narduzzi gets Pitt back to Wannstedt level winning...and if so, eventually Pitt will win one. For all the bitching and complaining during the Wannstedt years...it would be great to have the level of success of his last few years as coach [recruiting, wins and attendance]. Hail to Pitt!
Dixon won both the BE regular season and the BET multiple times. He did that against the best competition in the country. Wannstedt never won anything. He failed against the worst competition in the P6.

Back to Wannstedt levels? He already had a better record than Dave did in his 1st three years, and Wannstedt inherited a team that played in the Fiesta bowl. Narduzzi took over a team that lost a 30 point lead in some non descript bowl in Houston. And if achieving a 3rd place finish in a crap conference and being the Tire Bowl champion is what you aspire for the program, then that is a pretty low bar to achieve.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Dixon won both the BE regular season and the BET multiple times. He did that against the best competition in the country. Wannstedt never won anything. He failed against the worst competition in the P6.

In college basketball, the only real games that count are in the Dance. Jamie obviously won more than Wannstedt...but the point is/was...stick with the guy that keeps knocking on the door. So far, neither basketball or football has done as well as Dixon/Wannstedt [although their respective departures were under different circumstances]. Hail to Pitt!

Agreed. The arrests were unsightly optics and our leadership would be bothered by more than most by them (imagine any of the schools around us caring a whit about a couple minor busts).

The bigger deal would be the inside power play antics, and related cost concerns.

I think they had decided by then that they could live with paying Dave what he made (itself, likely included a home town discount), but that he was paying the assistants too much.

It's an attitude that kinda continues to this day... we'll pay the head coach, which helps suggest to the rabble that we're willing to compete... but skimp on the vital but less visible parts. Canada the most recent high profile example.

That, and our doubling or tripling down (in the Whitehead case) on discipline for weed infractions, while ok with alcohol (Bookser, far more serious) ... oddly.

Mixed messages like that add up to mixed results.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
Back to Wannstedt levels? He already had a better record than Dave did in his 1st three years, and Wannstedt inherited a team that played in the Fiesta bowl. Narduzzi took over a team that lost a 30 point lead in some non descript bowl in Houston. And if achieving a 3rd place finish in a crap conference and being the Tire Bowl champion is what you aspire for the program, then that is a pretty low bar to achieve.

Your hatred is blinding you. No doubt Dave started very slow...but his final years were what we would have had going forward. What is Pitt's record post Wannstedt? Hail to Pitt!

Your hatred is blinding you. No doubt Dave started very slow...but his final years were what we would have had going forward. What is Pitt's record post Wannstedt? Hail to Pitt!

Allow me to answer your question.

Last seven years:

Four coaching changes.
Four losing seasons
Two national embarrassments leveled at the Athletic Dept.
I bowl win against a MAC team.
Numerous WTF losses.
Going forward, questionable at best recruiting. We have gone from counting stars and rankings to defending the lack of them.

Not one season where the win total beat the record that got Dave fired. Pretty impressive wouldn't you say?

BTW, your posts in this thread are spot on and glad to see your return.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
In college basketball, the only real games that count are in the Dance. Jamie obviously won more than Wannstedt...but the point is/was...stick with the guy that keeps knocking on the door. So far, neither basketball or football has done as well as Dixon/Wannstedt [although their respective departures were under different circumstances]. Hail to Pitt!
That isn't true in comparison, then. Winning your conference and conference tournament certainly matter in basketball. If you only want to consider national relevance then DW was even further away from Dixon. He never came close to putting Pitt in contention nationally. The BE was already seen as a joke and we couldn't even eclipse that watermark, despite the factor his immediate predecessor did just that right before he took over.

Last seven years:

Four coaching changes.
Four losing seasons
Two national embarrassments leveled at the Athletic Dept.
I bowl win against a MAC team.
Numerous WTF losses.
Going forward, questionable at best recruiting. We have gone from counting stars and rankings to defending the lack of them.

Not one season where the win total beat the record that got Dave fired. Pretty impressive wouldn't you say?

Dave Wannstedt went 7-5 in his final season. Narduzzi eclipsed that in both of his 1st 2 seasons and he did so against much, much better competition.

Reactions: H2P 2003
In college basketball, the only real games that count are in the Dance.
I don't agree with that, I enjoyed WINNING the BE Tournament more than LOSING in the Elite 8. Major conference tournaments have tougher competition 4 straight days than the first two weeks of the NCAAs.

wrong. 2015 & 2016, 8 wins, 2010, 7 wins. Your wonder hero was canned and can't claim the illustrious compass bowl victory as his. Had dave been there, most likely would have lost.

Reactions: Dukeman
Dave Wannstedt went 7-5 in his final season. Narduzzi eclipsed that in both of his 1st 2 seasons and he did so against much, much better competition.
No they where 8-5, they beat Kentucky in a bowl game.

Dave Wannstedt "resigned" (was fired) before the bowl game.
OK, so "technically" you want to say it was worse than a Narduzzi 8-5! LOL

I'm not a Wanny fan, but it's pretty petty to look at it that way.

Pitt won a total of eight games regardless of who you want to assign the wins. I listed six points describing our performance post Dave and you want to nit pick one game that season? How incredible small of you.

His players.
His staff
His gameplan
His preparation and practice

I am reluctant to give the win to a guy whose main contribution that day was to walk the field. Capiche, Mr.
"Happy with the last seven years".

Reactions: PITTLAW
OK, so "technically" you want to say it was worse than a Narduzzi 8-5! LOL

I'm not a Wanny fan, but it's pretty petty to look at it that way.
He wasn't the coach. Compare the regular season records. 7-5 vs. 8-4 and 8-4. Apples to apples, except the competition was exponentially easier for Wannstedt.

Pitt won a total of eight games regardless of who you want to assign the wins. I listed six points describing our performance post Dave and you want to nit pick one game that season? How incredible small of you.

His players.
His staff
His gameplan
His preparation and practice

I am reluctant to give the win to a guy whose main contribution that day was to walk the field. Capiche, Mr.
"Happy with the last seven years".
I'm in no way happy with the last 7 years, but plenty of points of disappointment can also be attributed to the Wannstedt years, despite unbelievably pathetic competition and the program being in better shape when he took over.

In fact, I'd argue Dave Wannstedt not being involved in the gameplan, preparation, or practice, plus not being the HC on the sideline is precisely why we won that bowl game.

Reactions: H2P 2003
That isn't true in comparison, then. Winning your conference and conference tournament certainly matter in basketball. If you only want to consider national relevance then DW was even further away from Dixon. He never came close to putting Pitt in contention nationally. The BE was already seen as a joke and we couldn't even eclipse that watermark, despite the factor his immediate predecessor did just that right before he took over.

Did not really want to get into a Dixon conversation...but I guess my troll bait hooked you. Want to talk conferences...what did Dixon do in the ACC? If you want to talk Wannstedt's first three years...let's talk Dixon's final three. Hail to Pitt!

He wasn't the coach. Compare the regular season records. 7-5 vs. 8-4 and 8-4. Apples to apples, except the competition was exponentially easier for Wannstedt.

I'm in no way happy with the last 7 years, but plenty of points of disappointment can also be attributed to the Wannstedt years, despite unbelievably pathetic competition and the program being in better shape when he took over.

In fact, I'd argue Dave Wannstedt not being involved in the gameplan, preparation, or practice, plus not being the HC on the sideline is precisely why we won that bowl game.

Maybe, but the point is/was and remains without any argument, the years in total post Wannstedt have been worse than his last three seasons. I'm not nominating Wannstedt for Pitt's Hall of Fame, which only tells you how simply bad it has been since his departure. Hail to Pitt!

UNC football has been a mediocre non-factor for the vast majority of its existence. A couple good seasons with a NFL-caliber QB and receivers wasn’t going to change that.

I am always amused at the "unbelievably pathetic competition" comments that some of you constantly throw out. The truth is during Dave's tenure Louisville, Cincinnati, WVU, UConn, and Rutgers arguably fielded some of the best teams in their program history. Want to brush that off, then look at NBE conference post season rankings, bowl records, and Pitt's NCAA SOS rankings. SOS under Dave was not terribly different than post Dave and certainly better than Harris's last few years. Murderers row of course not. but in no way pathetic or watered down.

Dave and staff prepared the team and handed it off to Patterson. You are wrong.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT