ADVERTISEMENT

What is the general rule on eyepatches?

Oct 25, 2021
I saw a guy wearing your standard black pirate eyepatch yesterday, and I thought to myself how weird it is that they've evolved so little. But then I got to Googling, and it turns out that he must have just been a traditionalist because there actually are some very stylish options. So much so, in fact, that I wouldn't mind venturing down the eyepatch fashion runway a bit myself. I found a few that would match various shirts and hats I own, as well as some that would do a good job concealing my early-stage nasolabial folds.

Obviously, the concern is that I'm not looking to offend anyone in the patch community. And perhaps even more so, I would prefer to avoid any type of confrontation with some dude gallivanting around in 6" jorts, video camera in hand, who is looking to be offended on their behalves.

So my questions is: Would wearing an eyepatch be the same as, for example, using a wheelchair if you didn't need one? Obviously I wouldn't be doing any malingering in this instance, but I'm not sure if merely wearing an eyepatch is something that could be perceived as distasteful (ethically, obviously; I think it's quite tasteful from a fashion standpoint). This may all be a moot point soon if my right eye keeps twitching at the rate it has been lately, but for the sake of this discussion let's just say I do not need an eyepatch for functional purposes. Would I be stealing patch valor by wearing one, or is this as acceptable as the guy who opts to wear a toupee - or the lady who has a penchant for wigs - despite not having recently undergone chemo?

I saw a guy wearing your standard black pirate eyepatch yesterday, and I thought to myself how weird it is that they've evolved so little. But then I got to Googling, and it turns out that he must have just been a traditionalist because there actually are some very stylish options. So much so, in fact, that I wouldn't mind venturing down the eyepatch fashion runway a bit myself. I found a few that would match various shirts and hats I own, as well as some that would do a good job concealing my early-stage nasolabial folds.

Obviously, the concern is that I'm not looking to offend anyone in the patch community. And perhaps even more so, I would prefer to avoid any type of confrontation with some dude gallivanting around in 6" jorts, video camera in hand, who is looking to be offended on their behalves.

So my questions is: Would wearing an eyepatch be the same as, for example, using a wheelchair if you didn't need one? Obviously I wouldn't be doing any malingering in this instance, but I'm not sure if merely wearing an eyepatch is something that could be perceived as distasteful (ethically, obviously; I think it's quite tasteful from a fashion standpoint). This may all be a moot point soon if my right eye keeps twitching at the rate it has been lately, but for the sake of this discussion let's just say I do not need an eyepatch for functional purposes. Would I be stealing patch valor by wearing one, or is this as acceptable as the guy who opts to wear a toupee - or the lady who has a penchant for wigs - despite not having recently undergone chemo?
wearing an eye patch is a great great look but only if you lost an eye. wearing an eye patch, if you have two good eyes, is pretty ridiculous and well you deserved punched in the face.. yes, wearing an eyepatch if not needed is 100000% distasteful.

why would anyone use a wheel chair if they didnt need too? Of course i say that then i think about the grocery store and wal mart where the fat lady gets on one of those motorized ones cause she/he's just fat and lazy so i may have to take back that question..

wearing an eye patch is a great great look but only if you lost an eye. wearing an eye patch, if you have two good eyes, is pretty ridiculous and well you deserved punched in the face.. yes, wearing an eyepatch if not needed is 100000% distasteful.

why would anyone use a wheel chair if they didnt need too? Of course i say that then i think about the grocery store and wal mart where the fat lady gets on one of those motorized ones cause she/he's just fat and lazy so i may have to take back that question..

See, I don't think eyepatches have that same stigma. I think they're closer to wearing a hat or something.

https://shoeblogs.com/2010/05/05/the-return-of-the-designer-eyepatch/

This is a link I found that mentions designer eyepatches making a comeback. It's a little unclear if they're only intended for people who need them, though. I mean, I've seen pictures of David Bowie and other rock stars wearing them.

See, I don't think eyepatches have that same stigma. I think they're closer to wearing a hat or something.

https://shoeblogs.com/2010/05/05/the-return-of-the-designer-eyepatch/

This is a link I found that mentions designer eyepatches making a comeback. It's a little unclear if they're only intended for people who need them, though. I mean, I've seen pictures of David Bowie and other rock stars wearing them.
man it's a tough look to pull off though. lets put the "distasteful thing" aside for a sec..

just an absolute tough look to pull off but if you do, you are a king. like wearing sunglasses in a night club. 99% of us would look like D bags but the dude that can pull it off, is probably pulling 1/2 the wool out of the club that night..

One of the worst posts ever seen on this board - and that’s saying a lot

not worth aaaaargghhuing about...

Reactions: kma0043
im almost putting "wearing an eye patch if you dont need one" in the same category as guys that wear military gear out in public who've never served in the military..

almost, not quite as bad but almost.

Frankly, I think it is doable as long as you concoct a plausible story as to how you lost the eye. Why not go all in. Let’s say you have not served in the military—what’s to stop you from explaining you lost your right eye in Fallujah… maybe embellish about those damn IED’s.
Remember Martin Luther’s counsel:
“ If you are going to sin… sin mightily!”

man it's a tough look to pull off though. lets put the "distasteful thing" aside for a sec..

just an absolute tough look to pull off but if you do, you are a king. like wearing sunglasses in a night club. 99% of us would look like D bags but the dude that can pull it off, is probably pulling 1/2 the wool out of the club that night..

Oh there are definitely some "sharp, but douche-risky" ones out there that you better be a jacked, mean-looking bald dude in an expensive suit - perhaps while adorning a fedora - to pull off. I wouldn't even mess with that route.

Frankly, I think it is doable as long as you concoct a plausible story as to how you lost the eye. Why not go all in. Let’s say you have not served in the military—what’s to stop you from explaining you lost your right eye in Fallujah… maybe embellish about those damn IED’s.
Remember Martin Luther’s counsel:
“ If you are going to sin… sin mightily!”
good strategy, you'll never have to buy a beer at a bar with this plan.. but you are right, you got to go ALL IN.

just dont get caught cause it will end badly.

Eyepatch Patch GIF - Eyepatch Eye Patch GIFs

im almost putting "wearing an eye patch if you dont need one" in the same category as guys that wear military gear out in public who've never served in the military..

almost, not quite as bad but almost.

See, I can't put this up there with that. An eyepatch isn't telling anyone you've risked your life for their freedom. My brother has cornea problems, and he has to patch a few times per year (he just uses bandages or holds a rag on his eye). Now, becoming a permapatcher and walking around with a white cane and really fishing for sympathy because of it... yes, that's way too much. But patching as a means to accentuate the silk polo you're wearing, well, I'm about 50/50 right now.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
See, I can't put this up there with that. An eyepatch isn't telling anyone you've risked your life for their freedom. My brother has cornea problems, and he has to patch a few times per year (he just uses bandages or holds a rag on his eye). Now, becoming a permapatcher and walking around with a white cane and really fishing for sympathy because of it... yes, that's way too much. But patching as a means to accentuate the silk polo you're wearing, well, I'm about 50/50 right now.
ok, my analogy with stolen valor is a tad over the top..

It brings up a good point. One time I sprained my ankle really badly, like really bad. So I went to the grocery store, and grabbed the battery charged scooter. People gave me weird looks and definitely judged me. I’d never ride one through the store because I’m lazy…I legitimately couldn’t walk. It’s a weird balance.

But what if it’s broad daylight and I intend on plundering a schooner later?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT