ADVERTISEMENT

What is your guess at a lineup?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
We always liked to do this in the off-season but undoubtedly, this one will be the trickiest ever.

PG - Stewart 30 Carr 10
SG - Carr 20 Boykins/Milligan 20
SF - JWF 30 Stevenson 10
PF - Luther 30 George 10
C - Brown 30 Peace 10

We always liked to do this in the off-season but undoubtedly, this one will be the trickiest ever.

PG - Stewart 30 Carr 10
SF - JWF 30 Stevenson 10
PF - Luther 30 George 10
C - Brown 30 Peace 10

Who's better at point tho? Carr or Stewart?

Isn't Carr listed at PG & Stewart SG?

PG - Stewart 30 Carr 10
SF - JWF 30 Stevenson 10
PF - Luther 30 George 10
C - Brown 30 Peace 10

Who's better at point tho? Carr or Stewart?

Isn't Carr listed at PG & Stewart SG?

Don't know but considering Aaron Thompson was signed to be THE PG, I'm guessing Carr is more of a 2. Stewart, being the son of the UT-Martin coach may have the better PG intangibles but I have no idea really.

Don't know but considering Aaron Thompson was signed to be THE PG, I'm guessing Carr is more of a 2. Stewart, being the son of the UT-Martin coach may have the better PG intangibles but I have no idea really.

Yeah...

We'll see.

Stewart, Carr and JWF are probably our top three new players.

Luther would be in the top 4 too.

Here's my astute analysis:

39077.jpg

PG - Stewart 30 Carr 10
SF - JWF 30 Stevenson 10
PF - Luther 30 George 10
C - Brown 30 Peace 10

Carr 30 Stewart 10
Stewart 20 Frame 14 Stevenson 6
Frame 20 Stevenson 20
Luther 20 George 20
Luther 10 Chukwuka 10 Brown 10 Peace 10

Ellison is a redshirt - I don't see any playing time for Milligan - I have not included time for Boykins based on reports indicating he might not merit it - I think Davis either redshirts or more likely see very spot time as a defensive stopper.

Last edited:

PG - Stewart 30 Carr 10
SF - JWF 30 Stevenson 10
PF - Luther 30 George 10
C - Brown 30 Peace 10

Looks pretty reasonable.

I think Stevenson plays more. Stevenson is physically as ready as any true freshman (i.e. strong), so that should help him get on the court even if he's a little undersized. I could see Stevenson at the 4 with Luther at the 5. I think the reality is Luther will play more like 34 minutes a game because there's such a need. Milligan may play more too, just to have some experience on the floor.

PG - Stewart 30 Carr 10
SF - JWF 30 Stevenson 10
PF - Luther 30 George 10
C - Brown 30 Peace 10
I think Milligan is going to get a lot of minutes, like it or not. He's the only guard with any playing experience at this level.

Reactions: Pitt5593

PG - Stewart 30 Carr 10
SF - JWF 30 Stevenson 10
PF - Luther 30 George 10
C - Brown 30 Peace 10

Pretty much agree with all of this..

I suppose it's possible that Carr and Stewart could be switched.

And there might be a pretty good chance that Chukwuka could play instead or Peace.

PG-Carr 30 Milligan 10
SG-Stewart 20 Boykins 15 Milligan 5
SF-JWF 30 Stewart 5 Stevenson 5
PF-Luther 30 Stevenson 5 George 5
C-Brown 20 Peace 10 Kene 10

That's 11 guys which is probably too many. I just don't know how you ever get a consistent group.

I don't see any way that Milligan and Boykins don't get a good chunk of minutes. Parker Stewart won't be a 1 over Milligan. Just can't see it.

If you were to take guys out of a 9 man rotation, it would be Stevenson/George and Peace/Kene. I just can't see 2 of Peace, Kene, Brown finishing 40 minutes at the 5. I guess you could see some Luther at the 5 as well.

This season is going to be wild.

PG - Stewart 30 Carr 10
SF - JWF 30 Stevenson 10
PF - Luther 30 George 10
C - Brown 30 Peace 10
I would be shocked if Brown played anywhere need 30 minutes

Speculating about players no ones seen play is kind of silly ...isn't it . Has anyone heard how these guys look in the individual practices and pickup games ?

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Speculating about players no ones seen play is kind of silly ...isn't it . Has anyone heard how these guys look in the individual practices and pickup games ?
Silly yes, but it sure beats most of the other topics, don't ya think?

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Silly yes, but it sure beats most of the other topics, don't ya think?
Well arguing over how much money KS is getting paid and how's he's the worst human being on the planet including N Koreas Kim well I guess it is a better subject . I just wished the summer league would've been played .

PG - Stewart 30 Carr 10
SF - JWF 30 Stevenson 10
PF - Luther 30 George 10
C - Brown 30 Peace 10

Pretty much agree with all of this..

I suppose it's possible that Carr and Stewart could be switched.

And there might be a pretty good chance that Chukwuka could play instead or Peace.

Depends on how bad Peace is. Chukwuka had a hard time getting off the bench in JUCO.

You are likely correct.
But the question remains, who will?
Do you hear anything regarding the play of Davis? I know he was a late reach, but for some reason, seems to be in all the video that Pitt basketball releases.

Do you hear anything regarding the play of Davis? I know he was a late reach, but for some reason, seems to be in all the video that Pitt basketball releases.

Nothing. Not much of anything coming out at all, but this really isn't all that uncommon in this time frame.

I mean, we know that Luther, JWF and Carr are set for 30 minutes per game but after that it is yikes city. Stewart absolutely will not run the point, he just doesn't have the experience or the foot speed necessary right now, so the 1 is going to be split between Carr and Milligan. And we're all going to see a lot more of Milligan than we would probably want to this year.

This is my early guess without seeing anyone play yet...and boy, could we have used some Summer League this year...

PG - Carr 15, Milligan 25
G - Stewart 25, Carr 15, Boykins 5
G/F - Wilson-Frame 20, Stevenson 10, Boykins 10
F - Luther 20, Wilson-Frame 10, George 10
C - Chukwuka 15, Luther 15, Brown 10

The center position is the one that I am the most unsure of, Ilegomah probably slides in there somewhere but I just don't know where before we see these guys on the court.

Reactions: cabe23
I mean, we know that Luther, JWF and Carr are set for 30 minutes per game but after that it is yikes city. Stewart absolutely will not run the point, he just doesn't have the experience or the foot speed necessary right now, so the 1 is going to be split between Carr and Milligan. And we're all going to see a lot more of Milligan than we would probably want to this year.

This is my early guess without seeing anyone play yet...and boy, could we have used some Summer League this year...

PG - Carr 15, Milligan 25
G - Stewart 25, Carr 15, Boykins 5
G/F - Wilson-Frame 20, Stevenson 10, Boykins 10
F - Luther 20, Wilson-Frame 10, George 10
C - Chukwuka 15, Luther 15, Brown 10

The center position is the one that I am the most unsure of, Ilegomah probably slides in there somewhere but I just don't know where before we see these guys on the court.
I don't understand how you are even making an attempt to develop the team if you play Milligan 25 minutes at the point this season. Milligan is gone next season. This season is really bad no matter what. Bite the bullet and develop the team.

It would make more sense to play Carr 32 and Milligan 8 and handle the 2G without Carr.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
Talking about developing the team is fine but at some point you actually have to put a team on the court and in at least some position to succeed. Playing Stevenson minutes at the 2 or blowing Davis' redshirt or playing Stewart way out of position at the 1 or playing Carr an insane amount of minutes (you're talking about playing him Artis level minutes at the lead guard spot before he even plays a game) doesn't actually make us more competitive in the future because none of those are part of the longterm plan.

Milligan isn't an ACC level player but he is a 24 year old mature adult with lower level D1 talent and some ACC experience. Having him running the show for large chunks of minutes probably will make the players around him better in the longterm because he is the only guy on the team that I trust to have a TO% under 25% as the primary ballhandler, for better or for worse. I generally expect Stallings to see things the same way.

Talking about developing the team is fine but at some point you actually have to put a team on the court and in at least some position to succeed. Playing Stevenson minutes at the 2 or blowing Davis' redshirt or playing Stewart way out of position at the 1 or playing Carr an insane amount of minutes (you're talking about playing him Artis level minutes at the lead guard spot before he even plays a game) doesn't actually make us more competitive in the future because none of those are part of the longterm plan.

Milligan isn't an ACC level player but he is a 24 year old mature adult with lower level D1 talent and some ACC experience. Having him running the show for large chunks of minutes probably will make the players around him better in the longterm because he is the only guy on the team that I trust to have a TO% under 25% as the primary ballhandler, for better or for worse. I generally expect Stallings to see things the same way.
It's doubtful that any lineup will produce a significant difference in win totals so development for the following season has to be a priority . Red shirting guys is a luxury KS doesn't have and if he's here as the coach for any length of time that means he's having some level of success . If he's having success the level of recruits will need to get better meaning no use having less talented guys here for 5 yrs .

If I believed for a minute that playing Milligan at the point would cause the other elements of the team to develop better or faster, I would agree with you. Sadly, Milligan has demonstrated nothing in his play to this point, that indicates that would be the case.

I believe the only reason Milligan is still on the team is that we could not sign a grad transfer to replace him.

My guess is that Stallings plays him at best around 8 minutes. You say 25. One of us will be closer than the other.

It's doubtful that any lineup will produce a significant difference in win totals so development for the following season has to be a priority . Red shirting guys is a luxury KS doesn't have and if he's here as the coach for any length of time that means he's having some level of success . If he's having success the level of recruits will need to get better meaning no use having less talented guys here for 5 yrs .
I agree - what difference does it make if you win 7 games or 9 games? Stallings needs to find out who has heart, who plays best during game action, and needs to start building team chemistry for this year and the following year.

23 year old Milligan played 8.4 minutes (7.3 ACC) last year with our other choices at the point being Artis (who had never played the point) and a true freshman. I don't even believe many of those minutes were played at the point. I think Milligan was primarily used as a spot up 3 point shooter. I don't remember him being asked to distribute or even handle the ball all that much. He goes from that to 25 minutes at the point? I don't think so.

Last edited:
In a strange, sick way, I am actually looking forward to this season to see which of these new players becomes our Brandin Knight for this new era. Of course, there's a chance no one becomes that but there's always hope!

Reactions: gary2
In a strange, sick way, I am actually looking forward to this season to see which of these new players becomes our Brandin Knight for this new era. Of course, there's a chance no one becomes that but there's always hope!
I agree , it should be interesting . It could be a train wreck or maybe the start of a new era , but it's most likely 90-10 for the train wreck .

Having not seen most of our players, this is how I am basing my estimate on playing time:

Luther - has played significant minutes at Pitt
Frame - highly rated JC early signee
Carr - highest rated early signee
Stewart - early signee at Ole Miss
Brown - early signee

Stevenson - signed fairly early after early signing period - decent offers
Peace - signed fairly early after early signing period - played against good competition

George - my exception - my choice to click - loved his video

Those are my top 8. - Ellison has to redshirt - Stallings seems to expect a lot from him the following season

The others: Milligan - seen him some - not impressed. Boykins - played at Lafayette/injured - people I respect providing negative feedback - Chukwuka - played sparsely at his JC - no real reason to believe it, but maybe a sleeper - K.Davis - fairly unknown late reach - might help as a defensive stopper

Last edited:
Luther, Frame, Carr, Stewart will get 30mpg at least. After that who knows. I have a feeling Peace or KenChuck start at Center.

Boykins/Brown/Sham off the bench
Crazy that these three incoming guys will see 30 plus minutes who we have never seen in a Pitt uniform and have never played major college basketball ever.

It's doubtful that any lineup will produce a significant difference in win totals so development for the following season has to be a priority .

Yeah, but that isn't the only thing the coach has to worry about. He has to worry about guy's confidence getting destroyed by playing minutes they can't handle against competition that is much better than them. If the only difference was one between winning 6 and 8 games (or 8 and 10, or whatever) then you may very well bite the bullet. But the difference also could be between winning 8 games and "protecting" some of the guys you are counting on for the following season and 6 wins while completely destroying one or two player's games.

I'm not saying that Milligan is the guy who can do any of that, but if the choice is between playing Milligan too much and ruining his confidence or playing someone like Stewart too much and screwing him up for the future then the choice is an easy one to make. The problem is that you won't know the right answer until it's too late to change things.

Yeah, but that isn't the only thing the coach has to worry about. He has to worry about guy's confidence getting destroyed by playing minutes they can't handle against competition that is much better than them. If the only difference was one between winning 6 and 8 games (or 8 and 10, or whatever) then you may very well bite the bullet. But the difference also could be between winning 8 games and "protecting" some of the guys you are counting on for the following season and 6 wins while completely destroying one or two player's games.

I'm not saying that Milligan is the guy who can do any of that, but if the choice is between playing Milligan too much and ruining his confidence or playing someone like Stewart too much and screwing him up for the future then the choice is an easy one to make. The problem is that you won't know the right answer until it's too late to change things.
Weed out the snowflakes. You need fiery competitor's like B. Knight, and that early Howland group that lost a bunch early on but turned it around through hard work. The strong will survive.

Reactions: gary2
Weed out the snowflakes. You need fiery competitor's like B. Knight, and that early Howland group that lost a bunch early on but turned it around through hard work. The strong will survive.

Or guys who could blossom like beautiful flowers if given the attention and care they need wilt and die. One or the other.

But since we have so many good players on the team right now losing a few guys who could become good players would be no real loss, I suppose.

o_O

And showing you are willing to play freshmen 30 mpg might help with future recruiting.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
And showing you are willing to play freshmen 30 mpg might help with future recruiting.

Of course it also allows people you are recruiting against to say "why would you go there, they played a bunch of freshmen 30 minutes a game, there won't be any playing time left for you."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT