ADVERTISEMENT

What I've never heard anyone say about the winter Qatar WC

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
So much was made about the federations voting for a June/July Qatar WC with cooling technology but then Qatar saying, "sorry that wont work" after landing the bid. However, I never heard anyone ask, with the amount of money Qatar was spending, why they couldn't just put roofs on their stadiums so the tournament could be held in the summer so as not to cause a pause in the domestic seasons.

So much was made about the federations voting for a June/July Qatar WC with cooling technology but then Qatar saying, "sorry that wont work" after landing the bid. However, I never heard anyone ask, with the amount of money Qatar was spending, why they couldn't just put roofs on their stadiums so the tournament could be held in the summer so as not to cause a pause in the domestic seasons.
Are the Euro leagues going on pause similar to what the NHL does or are they plowing ahead with their schedules next year?

Are the Euro leagues going on pause similar to what the NHL does or are they plowing ahead with their schedules next year?
They are pausing. Its going to be a disaster. They should have had a re-vote when it was announced that the most important part of Qatar's bid (ie when the games would be played).

I remember reading that Qatar promised some sort of water vapor technology that would keep the field cool?

They are pausing. Its going to be a disaster. They should have had a re-vote when it was announced that the most important part of Qatar's bid (ie when the games would be played).
Why is it a disaster? I don't know, just curious why you think that?

I would guess the 6,500+ dead migrant workers probably would think it was a disaster.

You know, if they weren't dead.
Yea but honestly, nobody cares about them unfortunately. The disaster is the drop in TV ratings as the WC will be on when kids are in school and the more casual world soccer fans are more involved with Christmas/winter activities than the WC

Yea but honestly, nobody cares about them unfortunately. The disaster is the drop in TV ratings as the WC will be on when kids are in school and the more casual world soccer fans are more involved with Christmas/winter activities than the WC
That's true, I like soccer, but to me it's a summer sport, that's when I mostly watch it, because there are no other sports in the summer to watch. that time of year, I'm watching football, maybe college basketball.

Yes, compared to more than 6,500 deaths the potential for a drop in television ratings is the true disaster.

Yes, compared to more than 6,500 deaths the potential for a drop in television ratings is the true disaster.
According to FIFA

Also, come to think of it, Qatar basically created the "don't believe the death certificate" strategy. Young healthy South Asians are dying of heart attacks in Qatar after working in 120 degree heat with long sleeves and long pants (you have to because the sun will cook your skin) but Qatar says they just happened to die and would have died even if they were at home in Bangladesh. This is what my Trump cultist relative believes. An acquaintance of hers (late 50s) died of Covid but she literally doesn't think its real. She said it was just the flu and he would have died at the same time even if Covid never existed since it doesn't actually exist anyway

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT