ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup 2022 Thread

You're wrong. American soccer fans would rather have an elite league than a Hungarian league. American soccer fans > MLS fans. For it to be mainstream, they need Americans to watch MLS and currently they do not. Only MLS fans watch games of only their own team.
I seriously don't agree. I think that's how you look at sports and then you think everyone else does too. if you lose the current MLS diehards, I think a lot of those teams fold. I don't think everyone is like, "YAY! We're going to lose for the 10th straight game, but Messi will be there", that's your kind of sports fandom, not about your team, just about seeing world stars/quality with no consideration of rooting interest. Ironically you yourself can't become attached to an EPL team, why not? Pick Liverpool or Man City and get the world stars/quality and enjoy.

Just curious? Is your "world class MLS" playing in the summer? Or moving to where the other leagues play?

I seriously don't agree. I think that's how you look at sports and then you think everyone else does too. if you lose the current MLS diehards, I think a lot of those teams fold. I don't think everyone is like, "YAY! We're going to lose for the 10th straight game, but Messi will be there", that's your kind of sports fandom, not about your team, just about seeing world stars/quality with no consideration of rooting interest. Ironically you yourself can't become attached to an EPL team, why not? Pick Liverpool or Man City and get the world stars/quality and enjoy.
Messi sells out NFL stadiums to play 20 1 half in an exhibition game against B teamers. Of course they're coming to guys like that in MLS.

Here's the thing, the MLS just doesn't have enough fans. Too much competition. I'm not even sure there's such a thing as an MLS fan. The teams have nice niche fanbases but they dont watch games other than when their teams play as the ratings show. They can continue to have their nice little league and generate a small profit. The fans of the teams will continue to turn up to watch 2 teams of South Americans play each other while wearing jerseys of their city. But there's now growth opportunity there. MLS needs to win the American soccer fan, the 28 year old guy who watches Man City/Liverpool but has no allegiance to either. You put those types of players in MLS and he will watch.

Oh, and they'd have to switch to mid-August to late May/early June calendar with a break from Christmas to mid-February. Cold weather cities can play on the first 3 winter games on the road.

There couldn't be 6 weeks of playoffs either. I would do a 40 team league, 4 divisions of 4 with promotion/relegation within the top-tier MLS with the division winners advancing to a Final Four. Similar to a "Nations League" format but modified.

Something like:

- top 4 from 1st Division get UEFA CL spots when the league is good enough to earn that

- bottom 3 relegated to 2nd Division

- top 3 from 2nd Division promoted, bottom 2 relegated.

- top 2 from 3rd Division promoted, bottom 2 relegated

- top 2 from 4th Division promoted

1st Division
NYCFC
RBNY
Miami
Atlanta
Seattle
LAFC
LA Galaxy
Dallas
Toronto
Chicago (if they can get their act together)

2nd Division
Philly
DC
Portland
Vancouver
RSL
New England
Colorado
Orlando
Nashville
SKC

3rd Division
Columbus
Cincinnati
St. Louis
Charlotte
Las Vegas
Montreal
Minnesota
Austin
Houston
San Jose

4th Division
Sacramento
Pittsburgh
Phoenix
San Diego
Calgary
Detroit
Indianapolis
Virginia (VB, Norfolk, Hampton)
Raleigh
OKC
Memphis

So now you're saying the lesser city fans teams can't compete, but will gladly suck to see Messi twice a year, and new fans will come in, as you go head to head with the NFL, and eliminate the playoffs too? MLS fans love playoffs, many European love MLS playoffs, which they had them. And something like SEVEN of the teams you list as 2nd tier and below have MLS titles, so they'll agree to drop down? An what did you base the divisions on? Probably wealth or city size I assume? I'd rather see 3rd rate South Americans WIN A TITLE with my teams laundry, than see Messi twice a year. But none of this is happening, so dream on. :)

So now you're saying the lesser city fans teams can't compete, but will gladly suck to see Messi twice a year, and new fans will come in, as you go head to head with the NFL, and eliminate the playoffs too? MLS fans love playoffs, many European love MLS playoffs, which they had them. And something like SEVEN of the teams you list as 2nd tier and below have MLS titles, so they'll agree to drop down? An what did you base the divisions on? Probably wealth or city size I assume? I'd rather see 3rd rate South Americans WIN A TITLE with my teams laundry, than see Messi twice a year. But none of this is happening, so dream on. :)
1. MLS already goes head go head with the NFL. This doesn't change that.

2. This is BETTER than playoffs. Its the best of both worlds. Each division winner advances to a Final Four. A Saturday/Wednesday event at 1 centralized location. The Super Bowl of American soccer.

3. Pittsburgh, in MLS Division 4 can win their division and advance to Final Four, win it, and earn a bid in UEFA CL. Now the chances of that are about as good as Pitt football winning the NC but the dream is what keeps fans staying.

UEFA CL places to MLS Champ, US Open Cup Champ, next 2 highest place finishers from MLS Division 1.

Promotion/relegation is a non starter in MLS.

I’d hate to see another league with the MLB business model where only a handful of teams can succeed and all the others have no shot. That said I don’t have any MLS interest now so…

I’d hate to see another league with the MLB business model where only a handful of teams can succeed and all the others have no shot. That said I don’t have any MLS interest now so…
European style pro/rel is a non-starter but SMF modified pro/rel will be a huge success.

- all 40 teams under same MLS umbrella
- equal TV revenue sharing
- equal access to Final Four. Some fans would argue they'd rather be Division 4 because it is easiest path to Final Four/UEFA CL

Seriously, I have solved everything. Be honest. Would you rather watch my MLS (assuming it legitimately is the 3rd best league in the world) or the current Hungarian League version?

European style pro/rel is a non-starter but SMF modified pro/rel will be a huge success.

- all 40 teams under same MLS umbrella
- equal TV revenue sharing
- equal access to Final Four. Some fans would argue they'd rather be Division 4 because it is easiest path to Final Four/UEFA CL

Seriously, I have solved everything. Be honest. Would you rather watch my MLS (assuming it legitimately is the 3rd best league in the world) or the current Hungarian League version?
I want CONCACAF and the Hungarian League.

I don't want USA to join UEFA, I prefer it the way it is. USA is not in Europe, and I hate artificial ideas like that, and it would be harder to make the WC.
It’s no more artificial than rivalries vs Haiti, Panama and Costa Rica. And in many ways less.

I don't want USA to join UEFA, I prefer it the way it is. USA is not in Europe, and I hate artificial ideas like that, and it would be harder to make the WC.
I understand the point that its harder to make the WC. But I am possibly the biggest USMNT team fan on this site and I'm telling you I'll take the possibility of missed World Cups for the Euros, Nations League, a better MLS, and the growth of the game overall in this country. For Joe Casual Sports Fan, soccer has to be more than a once every 4 year thing. And over the long-term, the point would be to grow the game to the point where the best American athletes are choosing soccer over football, basketball, and baseball. By and large, they still are not and we are still relying too heavily on the sons of immigrants and German women who married US servicemen.

Last edited:
It’s no more artificial than rivalries vs Haiti, Panama and Costa Rica. And in many ways less.
I actually like geographic tied groupings, like the way college sports should have remained.

I actually like geographic tied groupings, like the way college sports should have remained.
Mexico and Canada are geographic. The others aren’t. And they aren’t culturally similar either.

I understand the point that its harder to make the WC. But I am possibly the biggest USMNT team fan on this site and I'm telling you I'll take the possibility of missed World Cups for the Euros, Nations League, a better MLS, and the growth of the game overall in this country. For Joe Casual Sports Fan, soccer has to be more than a once every 4 year thing. And over the long-term, the point would be to grow the game to the point where the best American athletes are choosing soccer over football, basketball, and baseball. By and large, they still are not and we are still relying too heavily on the sons of immigrants and German women who married US servicemen.
I don't care about any of that, I happily watch MLS and the Gold Cup, and pretty much never watch EPL, I do watch the Euros, when the televise a Greece game, or UEFA CL when they televise an Olympiacos game, and I don't care what sport teenagers choose. And seriously, most of our younger stars are coming from MLS Academies and not Germany. All I know is that USA is not physically in Europe, so gladly, this won't happen.

Mexico and Canada are geographic. The others aren’t. And they aren’t culturally similar either.
Yeah they are, Central America is more physically connected to USA than Hungary. USA IS NOT IN EUROPE.

Yeah they are, Central America is more physically connected to USA than Hungary. USA IS NOT IN EUROPE.
The USA is in Europe. Military Bases, citizens, military alliances, culturally. Thr USA is not in Central America. The USA has nothing in common with Central American and Carribbean countries and shouldn't be playing them.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I All I know is that USA is not physically in Europe, so gladly, this won't happen.
I don’t completely agree with SMF. But you can’t look at it as a europe thing. Central America is separated from us by a large body of water, just like Europe. It’s a long plane ride, just like Europe. There is nothing tying us geographically to them. You can say they’re at least in the same hemisphere (barely). But a NATO confederation isn’t a euro confederation. It would be a “North Atlantic” Confederation, instead of a Concacaf confederation which has us playing matches that no one cares about vs shithole countries.

The USA is in Europe. Military Bases, citizens, military alliances, culturally. Thr USA is not in Central America. The USA has nothing in common with Central American and Carribbean countries and shouldn't be playing them.
Exactly

I don't care about any of that, I happily watch MLS and the Gold Cup, and pretty much never watch EPL, I do watch the Euros, when the televise a Greece game, or UEFA CL when they televise an Olympiacos game, and I don't care what sport teenagers choose. And seriously, most of our younger stars are coming from MLS Academies and not Germany. All I know is that USA is not physically in Europe, so gladly, this won't happen.
You are not a soccer fan. You are a fan of being entertained for 2 hours while watching your home team play. It wouldn't matter to you if they were playint a rec league side, the entertainment for you is the same. USA in UEFA isnt to win you as a fan. Its to win over the American sports fan, the casual soccer fan, and the diehard soccer fans who wont watch MLS due to its low level

We watch sports for different reasons, you want to see the highest level/quality, world stars, you'd rather see two world class teams you have no allegiance to than even a team that is local to you. me personally, I either chose or had teams chosen for me by life experience that become my teams, pretty much for life and no matter what league, level or quality they are, those become my teams, and I watch their games above all else, actually I have all of my teams automatically set to DVR every game they play and watch those particular games above all others, and my main concern as a sports fan is that those particular teams have a real shot to be good and compete in whatever league they are in, even if it's a minor league, if making their league as a whole better, makes my teams chances worse, I seriously don't want that, I'm like 100% favorite team oriented. For example, I don't want USAMNT to have less of a chance to make the World Cup, just to make the MLS better, and besides, I have doubts MLS would become some elite league anyways.

I don’t completely agree with SMF. But you can’t look at it as a europe thing. Central America is separated from us by a large body of water, just like Europe. It’s a long plane ride, just like Europe. There is nothing tying us geographically to them. You can say they’re at least in the same hemisphere (barely). But a NATO confederation isn’t a euro confederation. It would be a “North Atlantic” Confederation, instead of a Concacaf confederation which has us playing matches that no one cares about vs shithole countries.
You could drive there, we're connected through Mexico, I care about those matches, I watch every one, I have my DVR set to record every USMNT game automatically.

You could drive there, we're connected through Mexico, I care about those matches, I watch every one, I have my DVR set to record every USMNT game automatically.
Go to your map app and put in driving directions to Panama. You’ll get the same result you get if you put in driving directions to London.

You are not a soccer fan. You are a fan of being entertained for 2 hours while watching your home team play. It wouldn't matter to you if they were playint a rec league side, the entertainment for you is the same. USA in UEFA isnt to win you as a fan. Its to win over the American sports fan, the casual soccer fan, and the diehard soccer fans who wont watch MLS due to its low level
No I'm A REAL FAN.. A REAL SOCCER FAN, just like the devoted soccer fans of that last place 4th division side in some English town, who cares about Bumphuk FC in West Crapshire more than Liverpool, you're not even a Pitt fan for all your bloviated BS, you'd walk away immediately if they even dropped to FCS, THAT IS WHO IS NOT A FAN. You're nobody qualified to make a determination of who is a fan of anything, it's clear you really don't know what it means, and sadly, you are not a Pitt fan either.

Go to your map app and put in driving directions to Panama. You’ll get the same result you get if you put in driving directions to London.
Fair enough, but I put in El Salvador and you can drive there in 2 days and 9 hours.

• Haha
No I'm A REAL FAN.. A REAL SOCCER FAN, just like the devoted soccer fans of that last place 4th division side in some English town, who cares about Bumphuk FC in West Crapshire more than Liverpool, you're not even a Pitt fan for all your bloviated BS, you'd walk away immediately if they even dropped to FCS, THAT IS WHO IS NOT A FAN. You're nobody qualified to make a determination of who is a fan of anything, it's clear you really don't know what it means, and sadly, you are not a Pitt fan either.
West Crapshire. That’s hilarious. I’m gonna use it to troll when some Brit tells me I don’t know what I’m talking about because I call it soccer.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
We watch sports for different reasons, you want to see the highest level/quality, world stars, you'd rather see two world class teams you have no allegiance to than even a team that is local to you. me personally, I either chose or had teams chosen for me by life experience that become my teams, pretty much for life and no matter what league, level or quality they are, those become my teams, and I watch their games above all else, actually I have all of my teams automatically set to DVR every game they play and watch those particular games above all others, and my main concern as a sports fan is that those particular teams have a real shot to be good and compete in whatever league they are in, even if it's a minor league, if making their league as a whole better, makes my teams chances worse, I seriously don't want that, I'm like 100% favorite team oriented. For example, I don't want USAMNT to have less of a chance to make the World Cup, just to make the MLS better, and besides, I have doubts MLS would become some elite league anyways.
You are in the extreme minority of fans. There arent enough of fans like you. You are the type who would get Washington Wild Things season tickets for the entertainment value. Most Americans need to see the highest level to be adequately entertained. MLS is too niche and will never grow to the casual fan as long as it continues to be the Hungarian League. Join UEFA and increase budgets and it can rival the NBA and surpass MLB

You are in the extreme minority of fans. There arent enough of fans like you. You are the type who would get Washington Wild Things season tickets for the entertainment value. Most Americans need to see the highest level to be adequately entertained. MLS is too niche and will never grow to the casual fan as long as it continues to be the Hungarian League. Join UEFA and increase budgets and it can rival the NBA and surpass MLB
Actually I think you're wrong, I think there's a large number of people who enjoy stuff like the Wild Things or the Riverhounds or the Baltimore Blast, or how would all of those minor leagues even continue to hang on? I've gone to a lot of Baltimore Blast indoor soccer games, they'd get 11000 for a playoff game, they had rabid fans who'd travel to San Diego for a game, and these players are the guys not good enough for outdoor soccer.

And to be honest, I don't care if the Hungarian League "grows" for the casual fan, because I'm not sure that's best for THE REAL FANS like me. I have been a DC United fan since 1996, I started watching it on the local broadcast and became a fan. so yes I AM THE REAL SOCCER FAN, not the person watching EPL at 7am because it's "the best", they are the casual fan.

Actually I lived in Columbus, Ohio 2 years and went to the Columbus Clippers games sometimes, Yankees AAA team at the time, and I also spent 8 weeks at a training class in Harrisburg one summer and went to a few Senators games, Pirates AA club at the time, Jeff King was their star, in many ways it was way more fun than MLB, especially the $1.50 beers at the time.

Last edited:
Actually I think you're wrong, I think there's a large number of people who enjoy stuff like the Wild Things or the Riverhounds or the Baltimore Blast
Really? Funny that only a few hundred of them go to the games. You're in the extreme minority. You are the "night out" fan. The rest of us want to watch our team play in the highest level or if we dont have a team, we need to watch the highest level.

Really? Funny that only a few hundred of them go to the games. You're in the extreme minority. You are the "night out" fan. The rest of us want to watch our team play in the highest level or if we dont have a team, we need to watch the highest level.
I'm the REAL FAN, I can't see how you can say you are the real Pitt fan if you're ready to abandon them over what level they play in?

Hail to PITT, 4 Life

For you, Hail to Pitt, until they drop to another lesser league, then F em, what channel is Bama on, they're THE BEST.

Even if you're correct, people like me are the REAL HIGH QUALITY sports fans, people like you are fickle, just jump to whatever is popular today, let's say the Riverhounds went to the MLS, suddenly YOU JUMP THE BAND WAGON, yay you're NOW a fan, 5 years later they are relegated and now you have to walk away, meanwhile it's the REAL FANS who where there BEFORE MLS and remain after, you in now way are the REAL FAN.

I bring to you....college football.

Even if you're correct, people like me are the REAL HIGH QUALITY sports fans, people like you are fickle, just jump to whatever is popular today, let's say the Riverhounds went to the MLS, suddenly YOU JUMP THE BAND WAGON, yay you're NOW a fan, 5 years later they are relegated and now you have to walk away, meanwhile it's the REAL FANS who where there BEFORE MLS and remain after, you in now way are the REAL FAN.
Yep, if the Riverhounds join MLS, Im immediately a big fan. I watch my teams in the highest levels. I don't give 2 shits if they win USL. Its minor league. Now you can say MLS is minor league, NCAA Football is minor league, but in my mind those are the highest levels of those sports in that country. I view college football and college basketball as completely different sports than the pro version plus there is the emotional connection to your alma mater. But yep, if Pitt drops down to FCS, I'm out. I'll go to 1 game per year as a fun day out.

Yep, Americans love MLB and College Football. They will love my world-class MLS modified pro/rel with super teams
Those are my two least favorite sports, MLB the last time I watched a game was the Pirates 2015 WC loss, and while I watch Pitt's football games, I never watch any SEC or other "preferred/blue blood" teams at all- I might watch the service academies or FCS games, I like the FCS playoffs, and haven't watched the CFP since maybe 2015? Those are the least interesting/most predictable American sports.

PS... actually I watched a half inning of last night's Pirates/Nationals game, do the pitchers have a radio in their hats for some reason now? That was the most consecutive baseball that I've watched in years, 3 full ABs.

Yep, if the Riverhounds join MLS, Im immediately a big fan. I watch my teams in the highest levels. I don't give 2 shits if they win USL. Its minor league. Now you can say MLS is minor league, NCAA Football is minor league, but in my mind those are the highest levels of those sports in that country. I view college football and college basketball as completely different sports than the pro version plus there is the emotional connection to your alma mater. But yep, if Pitt drops down to FCS, I'm out. I'll go to 1 game per year as a fun day out.
Your attitude makes zero sense, if your team wins the MLS YOU PERSONALLY don't get anything more than if they win the USL. and again, you are JUST the band wagon jumper, the REAL FANS of the Riverhounds are already there supporting the team.

Last edited:
Actually I think Pitt in the FCS playoffs would be fun, playing games with different teams from around the country 3-4 straight weeks. If I was a JMU fan, I'd be pissed right now. I'd rather be going to 15-1 and marching to the FCS championship game than hoping to go 7-5 in the Sun Belt and getting a bid in the Bahamas Sun Tan Bowl.

SMF, just hypothetically, if Pitt was playing in an FCS playoff game and Bama was playing tOSU in a CFP game and both where televised at the same time, which would you watch?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT