ADVERTISEMENT

What was the best Pitt game at Pitt Stadium or Three Rivers Stadium?

That absolutely did not cost Bobby Bowden his job. That was his first year, he was at WVU 6 years. His final year they finished 9-3, ranked and beat Pitt.

He left WVU for FSU. It was his decision
Yes, I was mistaken about that.
Pardon me all to hell!

What was the best Pitt game at Pitt Stadium and/or Three Rivers Stadium? By best, I mean most competitive, most exciting.
1987 vs PSU. Stands were so crowded I had to sit on my BF's lap the whole game. Watching Gottfried race down the sideline and jump on the pile was a classic.

Digressing to another sport, but for me THE most exciting PITT game ever was when Jerome shattered the backboard. Once in a lifetime thing.

Reactions: JSSTartan
1987 vs PSU. Stands were so crowded I had to sit on my BF's lap the whole game. Watching Gottfried race down the sideline and jump on the pile was a classic.

Digressing to another sport, but for me THE most exciting PITT game ever was when Jerome shattered the backboard. Once in a lifetime thing.
sorry..... beating Billy Tubbs was better. So was beating Duke in 2007.

I still think 96 was worse even though they rallied to win. That team was coming off beatings from Ohio State and Miami and was outscored like 130-3 or something like that. That was the most somber season I can remember from going to games or just talking about the team.

At least in 98 they were coming off a bowl game and a winning season so Walt was pretty much given a pass for 98 which most knew was going to be a long year and accepted it.

I can still remember jumping down like an idiot celebrating that Temple comeback. lol
I'll add this... 1998 was the first season that Pitt LOST to both Buttgers and Temple AT HOME. To me, every loss to Rutgers or the Owls was unfathomable. We were up something like 21-3 against the Scarlet Blight at halftime.

sorry..... beating Billy Tubbs was better. So was beating Duke in 2007.
Beating Tubbs was great, but the Duke game was at MSG, so I was narrowing it to something that happened in Oakland.

I'll add this... 1998 was the first season that Pitt LOST to both Buttgers and Temple AT HOME. To me, every loss to Rutgers or the Owls was unfathomable. We were up something like 21-3 against the Scarlet Blight at halftime.

We absolutely killed Rutgers in the 1st half, could have been up more.

Temple drove to score to win when their QB threw a pass about 2 yards past the LOS. I think it was Mac Devito or something like that.

I remember that season very well. Hung on against Nova then gave the nits a game somewhat then got their last win in the rain vs Akron before getting run out of three rivers (think it was there) against the eers.

That was walt's mulligan and after the miracle job he did in 97 no one was ready to come down on him. Not to change the subject but had he not changed the offenses to start 01 like he did that could have been a monster year and who knows what else could have happened.

Although there have been many historically, I think the 10-0 1987 game at night against State was a great one at Pitt Stadium.

Three Rivers. The one that sticks out to me was when Harris figured out that WVU couldn’t stop the joker action and Barlow ran wild, Pitt wins 38-28.

For me it was the Army game in 76. Dorsett ran wild with an air cast on his elbow and during the game it was announced #1 Michigan had lost and #2 Pitt would move up.

Although there have been many historically, I think the 10-0 1987 game at night against State was a great one at Pitt Stadium.

Three Rivers. The one that sticks out to me was when Harris figured out that WVU couldn’t stop the joker action and Barlow ran wild, Pitt wins 38-28.

What do you mean by Joker action? I was a grad student at that game and totally trashed so I only remember bits and pieces

Well let me see...

Pitt Stadium, I would say 1987... Pitt 10 Paterno's Pedophiles 0

Three Rivers Stadium : 1976 Pitt 24 Sandusky's slime bags 7 - Pitt goes on to win the national championship...

And finally, the best one of all... Heinz Field... 2016... Pitt 42 Frankie's Females 39
The game cost PSU a shot at the National Championship!!!!!

LOL!!!!!!

Reactions: jtbuba and pbrad
We absolutely killed Rutgers in the 1st half, could have been up more.

Temple drove to score to win when their QB threw a pass about 2 yards past the LOS. I think it was Mac Devito or something like that.
Mac DeVito. I went into a wedding reception with Pitt up, 20-0. Go out to the car to get the final score. The game IS STILL GOING. Osborn: "The Panthers are hanging on for dear life...." Hillgrove's call on the game-losing TD sent me back inside in shock.

Pitt was hammering Rutgers, 21-3, and crumbled.

Reactions: bwh05

What do you mean by Joker action? I was a grad student at that game and totally trashed so I only remember bits and pieces

Sorry, just noticed this.

Other folks might call it a counter tray/trap action.

Essentially it is a running play where the QB opens opposite the hole and the back does too and then the back follows the pulling linemen or two thru the hole. Harris kept dialing it up and WVU couldn’t adjust. If I recall, it was Nehlens last game against Pitt. Ha! H2P.

Sorry, just noticed this.

Other folks might call it a counter tray/trap action.

Essentially it is a running play where the QB opens opposite the hole and the back does too and then the back follows the pulling linemen or two thru the hole. Harris kept dialing it up and WVU couldn’t adjust. If I recall, it was Nehlens last game against Pitt. Ha! H2P.

I got it. I remember Barlow going off for about 280 yards, but my friend and I brought a 5th of captain into the student section so the 2nd half is a complete blur.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT