ADVERTISEMENT

Whatsa Matta U?

thebadby2

Athletic Director
Sep 21, 2003
What happened to all the Matta talk on the board? Reality setting in that he’s at the top of the list for just about every open P6 jobs?

Reactions: pitt08
The actual reality is that Pitt is always extremely tight lipped in their coaching searches so whether or not Matta is a serious candidate no one really knows.

Anyone speculating on who Pitt might or might not hire is doing so probably without any direct knowledge of the situation.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
The actual reality is that Pitt is always extremely tight lipped in their coaching searches so whether or not Matta is a serious candidate no one really knows.

Anyone speculating on who Pitt might or might not hire is doing so probably without any direct knowledge of the situation.
I’m talking about Matta chatter on the board, which certainly has never had anything to do with the information or lack thereof coming from the Pitt administrative citadel.

I’m talking about Matta chatter on the board, which certainly has never had anything to do with the information or lack thereof coming from the Pitt administrative citadel.

How much do you want it to be discussed? I mean what more can possibly be said at this point after it was discussed for multiple days in a row?

I think like most candidates, it is really a wait and see at this point who Pitt targets.

Reactions: levance2
What more is there to say about him? Just about everything has been said... and since no new info about the job search is being leaked, there really is nothing new to be discussed.

He is a very talented coach with a proven track record of winning. Someone who recently has had (and may still have) serious back/leg/foot issues.

He is certainly the level of coach Pitt needs to hire.
If the school goes for an unproven coach who has not proven he can consistently win 22+ games a season or get into the tournament on a regular basis, Pitt basketball could go from being a temporally bad situation to much worse - a PROGRAM that is no long competitive or relevant.

What more is there to say about him? Just about everything has been said... and since no new info about the job search is being leaked, there really is nothing new to be discussed.

He is a very talented coach with a proven track record of winning. Someone who recently has had (and may still have) serious back/leg/foot issues.

He is certainly the level of coach Pitt needs to hire.
If the school goes for an unproven coach who has not proven he can consistently win 22+ games a season or get into the tournament on a regular basis, Pitt basketball could go from being a temporally bad situation to much worse - a PROGRAM that is no long competitive or relevant.
Prepared to be disappointed.

Most realistic scenario is a successful HC from a lower competitive level. Hopefully it will turn out to be another Howland.

Last edited:
I'm not optimistic that Pitt gets him if he is healthy.

If Pitt gets him, I'm not optimistic that he is healthy.

Matta or not, Pitt MUST hire a coach who is a proven coach, head coach or high level assistant, that can recruit his tail off and coach a team to 22+ wins a year, every year. If Pitt and Lyke hires a Jent or Oats or Schmidt, that will be more of the same that we had with Stallings.

If I were a betting man, I bet the ranch we don't get him and he goes to UGA. Here's why: So he has health/back problems and has stated he wouldn't be able to get out and recruit the way he would want to. Solution? I think I read his brother is a HS coach in the ATL area. So not only could he unleash his staff, baby bro could also put in some good words.

If he goes to UGA, that won't be why.

Also, if he was actually suggesting to any potential suitors that he can't get out and recruit the way he wants to due to health issues, he'll end up being an analyst on ESPN next season.

Prepared to be disappointed.

Most realistic scenario is a successful HC from a lower competitive level. Hopefully it will turn out to be another Howland.

While it would be best to hire a proven winner from a major conference, it wouldn't be completely disappointing if the hire came from outside of the major conference... as long as that new coach

Has proven he can consistently win 22+ games a season

Has won a conference championship multiple times

Has gotten his team into the NCAA tournament the past two years (and won at least one game in the tournament)

Is a very capable recruiter.

Is very comfortable coaching (and recruiting) in the Eastern (and Midwest) region of the country.

If Pitt does hire a candidate from a non-major conference who doesn't fit all of the above criteria, then it would indeed be disappointing.

Mark Schmidt from St Bonaventure would not quite qualify (No conference championships and never advanced as a head coach in the NCAA tournament).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT