ADVERTISEMENT

Which ACC coaches would you trade Duzz for?

dave97

Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 21, 2001
I would trade him for Dabo, but not sure anyone else. He frustrates the hell out of me, but I think he has us on the verge of turning the corner.

Hail to Pitt!

Dave

Reactions: PittPanthers90
Other than Dabo I’d probably gamble on VT and Wakes coaches. Neither is head and shoulders above Narduzzi but if I had to pick a few I’d choose those 2. No others would do any better here.

Other than Dabo I’d probably gamble on VT and Wakes coaches. Neither is head and shoulders above Narduzzi but if I had to pick a few I’d choose those 2. No others would do any better here.
I’d take Mack over Narduzzi in a hot second. I think Cutcliffe would do better than Dooz with the same roster too. That said outside of Dabo and those couple it’s not pretty.

Dabo and maybe Clawson only. Fuentes and Bronco are in the same category as be HCPN but Fuentes has been inconsistent with better talent.

Tier 1 - Dabo (staff)
Tier 2 - Mack, Narduzzi, Satterfield, Cutcliff,
Tier 3 - Everyone else
Tier 4 - Manny Diaz & Dave Doeren,

Reactions: dave97 and TJOlsen
I’d take Mack over Narduzzi in a hot second. I think Cutcliffe would do better than Dooz with the same roster too. That said outside of Dabo and those couple it’s not pretty.
Yeah forgot about Cutcliffe. Tennessee started their horrible 15 year stretch when they didn’t hire him after he was a really good offensive coordinator for them.

Only Dabo

Narduzzi and Bronco are the next tier

After that, the next best are probably Clawson and Mack

Reactions: dave97
Dabo is far and away the best. Bronco, Fuente, Brown, Satterfield, Narduzzi, etc. are close. But Pat is the best fit for Pitt.

Geez, I’m by no means a Narduzzi hater, but he has done nothing thus far to show he’s on the same level as Mendenhall. If he decided to leave Virginia and go to some other shit program tomorrow he’d have them winning within a couple years. He’s a damn good coach.

Only Dabo

Narduzzi and Bronco are the next tier

After that, the next best are probably Clawson and Mack
Take a look at Mack’s resume next to Narduzzi’s. I believe there’s a national championship on it.

Would you care to amend your answer?

Reactions: cease10
I would trade him for Dabo, but not sure anyone else. He frustrates the hell out of me, but I think he has us on the verge of turning the corner.

Hail to Pitt!

Dave
Narduzzi will never be a game day coach. I think he may be able to win anyway even carrying that burden.

To answer the question you asked:
Dabo - Bronco (even though I doubted him in this region) - Fuentes (even though he got off to a very rocky start at VA Tech)

Dabo
Fuente,
Mack Brown (because he is smart in knowing you need top assistants to win)
Bronco
Satterfield
Clawson

I am just shaking my head in disbelief.

Cutliffe is 10 times a better coach. Look at Duke before he got there. You have to love what Clawson is doing at Wake. Again, not a traditional power. Never thought Mack was a great X's and O's guy, but he is a lights out recruiter. You can't dismiss what Bronco has done at UVa, a program that has been more difficult to win at than Pitt. Fuentes also has more of a track record.

I just don't get some of you with you overrated views of Narduzzi.

Reactions: H2P 2003
I am not so sure cutcliffe would be a drastic upgrade. He may get more out of his players than anyone else but even then, he still routinely posts losing records and misses bowl games.

Reactions: daminals76
I am not so sure cutcliffe would be a drastic upgrade. He may get more out of his players than anyone else but even then, he still routinely posts losing records and misses bowl games.
he has a losing record at duke. Not mediocre ,losing. This is a stupid question since Pitt would never spend the money to hire a good coach like bronco.

Reactions: superstein61a
Yeah but...before Cutliffe Duke had like two 8 win seasons in 50 years. Since he came to Duke he has had 4 of them, with 2 being 9 and 10 wins. So.....consider what he is working with there. They were 4-42 the four years before he was hired.

Cutliffe is 10 times a better coach. Look at Duke before he got there. You have to love what Clawson is doing at Wake. Again, not a traditional power. Never thought Mack was a great X's and O's guy, but he is a lights out recruiter. You can't dismiss what Bronco has done at UVa, a program that has been more difficult to win at than Pitt. Fuentes also has more of a track record.

Cutcliffe is past his prime. I would not pick him over Narduzzi right now.

Reactions: superstein61a
Forgot about Bronco. He’s a good coach with a bad job.

Mendenhall is basically Narduzzi with a longer track record. Usually has a solid, but not talented, team. Bryce Perkins is just a great college QB that put them over the top. He's a transfer from the West Coast and they're unlikely to catch lightening in a bottle like that again. When he's gone, their ceiling is significantly lower.

Geez, I’m by no means a Narduzzi hater, but he has done nothing thus far to show he’s on the same level as Mendenhall. If he decided to leave Virginia and go to some other shit program tomorrow he’d have them winning within a couple years. He’s a damn good coach.

Bronco's best year is 9-4 (assuming loss to Clemson) and probably a loss to Alabama in the Orange Bowl to go 9-5. They beat 1 good team (Virginia Tech) and caught FSU in a down year. OOC was ODU, William & Mary, and Liberty. And all of this is with Bryce Perkins, who is hands-down their best skill-position player of the past 30+ years.

Bronco's best year is literally the same as Narduzzi was in 2015, 2016, and 2018, except he played 3 joke teams instead of Penn State/Oklahoma State/UCF.

Fedora- Previous UNC coach who owned PITT.

Great game day coach he outcoached PITT coaches most of the time.

He got a lot out of limited talent an UNC.

I think hiks time just ran out there which happens.

Coaches have a life cycle like most other people in other jobs.

Last edited:
Tier 1
Dabo

Tier 2
Mack Brown, Fuente

Tier 3
Clawson, Doeren, Narduzzi, Mendenhall

Tier 4
Cutcliffe, Babers, Collins, Satterfield, Diaz

Reactions: PittFamily2
Tier 1
Dabo

Tier 2
Mack Brown, Fuente

Tier 3
Clawson, Doeren, Narduzzi, Mendenhall

Tier 4
Cutcliffe, Babers, Collins, Satterfield, Diaz
Nice list, but Brown could be Majors Two,and I think Mendenhall deserves Tier 2 based on his previous stop.

Kind of a tough question to answer seriously.

Is Mack Brown a better coach than Pat Narduzzi? Of course. And he has a top 15 in the country recruiting class coming in. Would he be a good fit at Pitt at this stage in his career? Probably not and obviously he'd probably have no interest in the job either.

Mack Brown would easily be number 2 on the list in his prime, but you have to consider we are making a list right now.

This is a great question. I'm a little surprised to see so much love for Clawson and hardly any mention of Babers ... for whatever reason I view this year's Wake team the same as last year's Syracuse team, although Syracuse had a better record last year. Also interesting that Babers replaced Clawson at Bowling Green, and both had 10 win seasons at BG.

Note that Clawson has never gone better than .500 in the ACC.

Yeah all 4 of those are improvements

Bronco's best year is 9-4 (assuming loss to Clemson) and probably a loss to Alabama in the Orange Bowl to go 9-5. They beat 1 good team (Virginia Tech) and caught FSU in a down year. OOC was ODU, William & Mary, and Liberty. And all of this is with Bryce Perkins, who is hands-down their best skill-position player of the past 30+ years.

Bronco's best year is literally the same as Narduzzi was in 2015, 2016, and 2018, except he played 3 joke teams instead of Penn State/Oklahoma State/UCF.
Mendenhall coaches old style. Discipline, Fundamentals, few mental mistakes, physical football, defense and field position emphasis. A culture chane for sure.

This style is not exciting, but it wins for him.

Mendenhall coaches old style. Discipline, Fundamentals, few mental mistakes, physical football, defense and field position emphasis. A culture chane for sure.

This style is not exciting, but it wins for him.

Again, hold your breath until after Perkins leaves. Mendenhall was 8-17 without the best offensive player they've had in 30 years. He's gotten to 8 and now 9 wins (3 against creampuffs W&M, ODU, and Liberty) with that guy. He's a good coach but BYU is a totally different thing. He has 1 recruiting class in the top 50 (39th) and 1 in the 70s over the past 5 seasons. He's never going to be a bottom feeder but he's also rarely going to win 9 games. He is Narduzzi who caught a break on OOC scheduling.

Flip Perkins and Pickett and we win at least 8 games this year, probably 9 and maybe 10.

Again, hold your breath until after Perkins leaves. Mendenhall was 8-17 without the best offensive player they've had in 30 years. He's gotten to 8 and now 9 wins (3 against creampuffs W&M, ODU, and Liberty) with that guy. He's a good coach but BYU is a totally different thing. He has 1 recruiting class in the top 50 (39th) and 1 in the 70s over the past 5 seasons. He's never going to be a bottom feeder but he's also rarely going to win 9 games. He is Narduzzi who caught a break on OOC scheduling.

Flip Perkins and Pickett and we win at least 8 games this year, probably 9 and maybe 10.
Mendenhall does not need top recruits to win. He can coach. He has a style that works for him. It worked at BYU and it will work at Virginia. It took him a bit to get his style and players in place at UVA. same with Fuentes at Virginia Tech. Culture change is not automatic.

Mendenhall will win regardless of QB. He will win simply because he is a winner.

More likely, flip Mendenhall and Narduzzi. No doubt Pitt wins nine (no way he lets BC run for 260j maybe 10.

Reactions: H2P 2003
Mendenhall does not need top recruits to win. He can coach. He has a style that works for him. It worked at BYU and it will work at Virginia. It took him a bit to get his style and players in place at UVA. same with Fuentes at Virginia Tech. Culture change is not automatic.

Mendenhall will win regardless of QB. He will win simply because he is a winner.

I'll bet you any amount of money that UVA doesn't win 9 games next year. Literally anything.

And it's stupid to say "coach X doesn't need good players to win, it'll just happen anyway."

Mendenhall literally went 2-10 at UVA so I don't see why you think it's so automatic that he's going to win without a good QB.

I'll bet you any amount of money that UVA doesn't win 9 games next year. Literally anything.

So what? UVA has been not winning 9 games for most of the last 100 years. The relevant info is comparing them vs their own challenges. And beating Virginia Tech for the first time in 15 years is a big accomplishment, as is winning even a notably weak P5 division.

So what? UVA has been not winning 9 games for most of the last 100 years. The relevant info is comparing them vs their own challenges. And beating Virginia Tech for the first time in 15 years is a big accomplishment, as is winning even a notably weak P5 division.

"He will win regardless of his QB" is an idiotic statement. Mendenhall has improved UVA but there's no coincidence that his best ever team there, and only 9 wins at that, had both their best-ever QB and a very favorable schedule.

But I'm sure "he wins everywhere that's just what he does!" won't look like such a genius next year when he drops 4-5 games next year because they lost Perkins and they play road games against Georgia, Clemson, and Virginia Tech.

UVA is happy they won 9 games this year but it's not going to happen every year, or even often, for them. Mendenhall isn't a genius. He's a 6-9 win coach just like Narduzzi.

And it's stupid to say "coach X doesn't need good players to win, it'll just happen anyway."

Mendenhall literally went 2-10 at UVA so I don't see why you think it's so automatic that he's going to win without a good QB.
It seems they have Georgia and Clemson on the schedule next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT