ADVERTISEMENT

Which Freshman Makes the Biggest Impact?

True Frosh
- Hammond
- O'Brien
Would add Nahki if DE wasn't so deep.

RS Frosh
- Sauls
- Statham (I really liked what I saw in the spring game at G)

I think we also learn pretty quick that guys like Battle, Hayes, Izzy, and Kamara are going to be pretty good.

List your prediction for True Freshman and RS Freshman to make the biggest impact.
Well Addison is technically a freshman so I’ll say him.

True freshman, in the old sense of what we knew true freshmen as. I’m guessing Aston at wr.

I really don’t see and position holes where a freshmen could play. Maybe at RB or DB

Alston supposedly flashed in spring practice but unfortunately we didn’t see in in the BG game. WR is in desperate need of a playmaker opposite Addison, so I think Myles will get plenty of opportunity there.

Sauls is a good call for RS Fr. I think Abanikanda, Hayes, Battle etc could jumps but I don’t know that they won’t be considered sophs. They all played a decent amount last year. (Yes, I know covid etc. but Pitt lists them as soph).

Gotta go with one of the DL. That’s where this teams depth is and part will get them involved a lot and rotate

There isn’t a single unit on offense that doesn’t need added talent.
well ok i agree but do you think a true freshman can step in and make a unit better? Maybe a DB can jump in on the two deep, WR too. Id have liked to seen that bigger RB come in (newton i think was his name) and compete but he was medically ineligible. I definitely would have said him in a heartbeat...

OL, DL, DE, even LB, i just dont see a true freshmen coming in on any of those positions and competing for a two deep spot in the fall. I hope im wrong..

Sauls is a good selection for R. Fr.

I was leaning towards O’Brien on defense and Bartholomew on offense for True Fr.
I completely agree, have heard a lot of good things about both and I think both will have an opportunity to show what they can do in games. Can't wait to see them perform

well ok i agree but do you think a true freshman can step in and make a unit better? Maybe a DB can jump in on the two deep, WR too. Id have liked to seen that bigger RB come in (newton i think was his name) and compete but he was medically ineligible. I definitely would have said him in a heartbeat...

Then that’s an indictment on the coaching staff. When position groups you recruited are begging for talent upgrades, and you’re incapable of giving them talent upgrades, that’s a huge problem.

TE was a huge need and I think Krull finally fills that, though not a freshman...QB was also sort of a huge need and Duzz got lucky with an extra year of development for the young QBs. Sort of a weird cycle...

Then that’s an indictment on the coaching staff. When position groups you recruited are begging for talent upgrades, and you’re incapable of giving them talent upgrades, that’s a huge problem.
Pitt isn’t going to land a bunch of 4/5 star recruits no matter who the HC is. It simply isn’t going to happen. The best formula for Pitt is to get the most talented guys possible who might be a little underrated and develop them.

what position groups are "begging" for talent upgrades? I'd say OL and RB.. no spots on the defense IMO.

what position groups are "begging" for talent upgrades? I'd say OL and RB.. no spots on the defense IMO.
I think Izzy is going to take over that RB spot, but I agree no one has yet so we're still identifying the talent and is almost open for the taking. I'm not too sold on the corner spot opposite of Mathis, wasn't a huge fan of Williams last year but it appears its likely going to be him or Woods. However I said O'Brien and Bartholomew simply due to the fact that I think those two as True FR we have heard the most good things about from the coaching staff.

I think Izzy is going to take over that RB spot, but I agree no one has yet so we're still identifying the talent and is almost open for the taking. I'm not too sold on the corner spot opposite of Mathis, wasn't a huge fan of Williams last year but it appears its likely going to be him or Woods. However I said O'Brien and Bartholomew simply due to the fact that I think those two as True FR we have heard the most good things about from the coaching staff.
the more i look at our DBs, i could see a talented true freshman coming in and playing immediately. RB too and newton had a different skill set that we dont have.. the other recruit is 5'10, 185, he's not bringing anything to the table that we dont already have in duplicate on this roster already..

Reactions: PittPanther76
Izzy is talented and brings a breakaway threat to the RB position. I look for him to start as well. I’d prefer Woods and Mathis to be the starting CB’s as well. Battle is another CB I like too.

the more i look at our DBs, i could see a talented true freshman coming in and playing immediately. RB too and newton had a different skill set that we dont have.. the other recruit is 5'10, 185, he's not bringing anything to the table that we dont already have in duplicate on this roster already..
That other corner spot is the only spot on the defense that gives me some concern, but if we figure out that spot, I'm very confident that the defense could still be something very special. No matter what it will be a strong unit, but it will be complete with another strong CB.

They've missed on too many of the higher regarded offensive players, or guys just haven't been able to stay on the field.

The effort has been there at RB. Sibley, AJ Davis, Salahuddin were three 4* guys recruited in 2 years. Carter was also a good recruit. That's part of the problem at RB. Bring in Izzy and he can't stay on the field. Newton never gets cleared. That's 6 guys who were solid recruits.

I think they neglected WR for years until recently. Addison and Barden were upgrades to what they were getting. Hopefully Hammond can come in and contribute some explosiveness.

OL had no depth when Duzz took over and they did a poor job recruiting it for years. They at least seem to be getting better recruiting on paper.

That other corner spot is the only spot on the defense that gives me some concern, but if we figure out that spot, I'm very confident that the defense could still be something very special. No matter what it will be a strong unit, but it will be complete with another strong CB.
Battle is going to be a player. Wouldn't be surprised to see him starting by year end.

Reactions: PittPanther76
They've missed on too many of the higher regarded offensive players, or guys just haven't been able to stay on the field.

The effort has been there at RB. Sibley, AJ Davis, Salahuddin were three 4* guys recruited in 2 years. Carter was also a good recruit. That's part of the problem at RB. Bring in Izzy and he can't stay on the field. Newton never gets cleared. That's 6 guys who were solid recruits.

I think they neglected WR for years until recently. Addison and Barden were upgrades to what they were getting. Hopefully Hammond can come in and contribute some explosiveness.

OL had no depth when Duzz took over and they did a poor job recruiting it for years. They at least seem to be getting better recruiting on paper.
What ever happened to Salahuddin? I was very excited to see him play and I feel like he only played a little bit.

He transferred because he thought he was the second coming of Herschel Walker and didn't get the ball enough as a freshman. Ended up at some FCS school.
On top of that, he was banged up and he was mad they wouldn't rush him back even though we had like 5 other RBs and he was a freshman.

He transferred because he thought he was the second coming of Herschel Walker and didn't get the ball enough as a freshman. Ended up at some FCS school.
didnt he tweet out something to pitt fans that we are gonna see him again real soon or something to that effect?

Pitt isn’t going to land a bunch of 4/5 star recruits no matter who the HC is. It simply isn’t going to happen. The best formula for Pitt is to get the most talented guys possible who might be a little underrated and develop them.

But they aren’t carrying out that formula…

But they aren’t carrying out that formula…
Weaver and Jones were 2 star recruits who became All Americans. Addison and Kancey were 3 star guys who were Freshman All Americans last year. Morissey was a walk-on who was all-conference and got drafted. Pinnock, Dennis, Bright, Baldonado........all arguably better than the recruiting rankings would say. The idea that our coaches don't develop guys at all is quite a take. They could improve on the offensive side, but that likley has more to do with the design of the offense and the inability to recruit guys who fit a system when the system is constantly changing.

didnt he tweet out something to pitt fans that we are gonna see him again real soon or something to that effect?
I only remember this article.

Sauls is a good selection for R. Fr.

I was leaning towards O’Brien on defense and Bartholomew on offense for True Fr.
Safety is the position on defense that concerns me the most. So I think O’Brien could be a good pick. And I heard a lot of good stuff about Bartholomew in the off-season and realistically he is an injury to krull away from playing meaningful snaps.

Weaver and Jones were 2 star recruits who became All Americans. Addison and Kancey were 3 star guys who were Freshman All Americans last year. Morissey was a walk-on who was all-conference and got drafted. Pinnock, Dennis, Bright, Baldonado........all arguably better than the recruiting rankings would say. The idea that our coaches don't develop guys at all is quite a take. They could improve on the offensive side, but that likley has more to do with the design of the offense and the inability to recruit guys who fit a system when the system is constantly changing.
Yet, we finished 6-5.

Yet, we finished 6-5.

Exactly. You can develop some players, but it’s very difficult to put yourself in a situation where you have to be an elite scout and developer across all position groups.

If that is the model, the coaches are failing at it, and the results on the field show that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT