ADVERTISEMENT

Which local girls get PT for WSOC

The roster tells you which local girls get playing time? I don't feel like doing much work on this. I'm not a big Pitt women’s soccer fan. I plan to start watching them. If one of you can answer this, cool. If not, oh well.
Most of the season, Shupansky from NA (Riverhounds), Coffield from Mars (Beadling), and Mertz from USC(Century) are starters and log significant minutes. Yaple from Erie (Beadling) has seen her minutes reduced significantly this season and only logs 10-20 minutes per game. Evers from West Allegheny (Beadling) gets 5 minutes some games. That’s essentially it.

Most of the season, Shupansky from NA (Riverhounds), Coffield from Mars (Beadling), and Mertz from USC(Century) are starters and log significant minutes. Yaple from Erie (Beadling) has seen her minutes reduced significantly this season and only logs 10-20 minutes per game. Evers from West Allegheny (Beadling) gets 5 minutes some games. That’s essentially it.
Do you know which locals are playing elsewhere who could have gotten PT at Pitt?

Do you know which locals are playing elsewhere who could have gotten PT at Pitt?
Yes. Seeing Shupansky and Coffield play and contribute tells me that a few of the others could too.

I’ll give you an example. When the current staff got here, they had players from the previous regime that had scholarships and were not in the future plans of the new coaches. But the coaches were strapped financially and didn’t have a lot of money to offer until they had individual sit downs with current players and those players made decisions on their futures. The staff wasn’t going to push them out but wanted to give them the brutal honesty on their futures at Pitt. A couple players HS players who I know personally had offers from Pitt but couldn’t wait for the new staff to sort everything out as fast as $$$. This left the impression that they were potentially being slow played and/or weren’t going to receive scholarship money. So a couple players who were just as productive in high school and youth careers that mirrored Coffield and Shupansky went elsewhere. It was through no fault of the current staff but more the fault of the previous staff that left the program in bad shape.

And of course most notably the Brownsville girl is now starting at UNC. It’s tough to win that recruiting battle. The #1 thing said by youth coaches is if you want to play in college you can, and we will help get you at a place that fits. But if you think you’re going to play at UNC, you might want to reevaluate things and set your sights elsewhere. But the girl from Brownsville is the exception to the rule. That program recruits itself.

One of the top 5 players in the country for the class of ‘24 is from Erie. Just reclassified. She plays her club soccer in Cleveland. Pitt probably never had a sniff. Sounds like it’s Penn State or UVA for her.

Another player who would be tearing it up at Pitt right now, and we’d be better, is Alina Stahl from Baldwin. I believe she was a club teammate of Sam White (they might have been a year apart) at Beadling. But when she was a prep athlete, the previous staff was never gonna get her. We weren’t a good program then and she had some of the best schools after her.

Alina tore it up at WVU, winning multiple Big12 awards and was a national player of the week once. She led them in goals as a sophomore and Junior.

she’s a 5th year player over at Maryland now and has 5 goals this year. She probably has over 20 for her career.

Funny thing is, there are some girls playing at mid majors who could be on this Pitt team, but the previous staff didn’t recruit them and they were already committed when this staff arrived and stayed committed to their current schools. But A good example of one who flipped is Mertz. The previous staff didn’t recruit her so she went to Dayton. After a year at Dayton, she ended up back at Pitt. Waldrum is no spring chicken and she’s now at Pitt where she belongs. Emily Yaple from Beadling was committed to Buffalo in the MAC, as the previous staff wasn’t interested. Waldrum came in and flipped her. It really is amazing how biased the previous staff was against local players.

It reminds me of softball. But, the unfortunate thing is that it’s the current staff in softball. They recruit somewhat locally; they just don’t recruit some of the right kids. Like the pitcher at VT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT