ADVERTISEMENT

Which would you prefer?

DC_Area_Panther

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2001
After the ACCT being at 22-11 and--

(1) Going to the NCAA's and going 1-1 to finish season at 23-12?

OR

(2) Going to and winning the NIT to finish season with a 27-11 record?

I think (2) would be just as good, maybe better, even if less prestigious.

NIT also includes multiple games at the Pete.

I will take #1. Take my chances with the hot chick, not the ones left. I can handle rejection!!

• Haha
Reactions: Parkview57
NIT is stupid to me, and power conferences shouldn't even participate. Nobody cares that Penn State, etc. won an NIT. It's especially dumb now, because teams are almost always playing for the year at hand rather than building for the future, so it's not like it's some foundational block.

To me, this is like asking if I'd rather see Pitt football make the playoff and get trounced or beat Toledo in the Charmin Double Ply Bowl. I'm not saying making the NCAAT is akin to making the football playoff, but the difference is still that drastic, to me.

Reactions: h2p_5150 and latz66
Two weeks ago I felt this team was better suited to win the NIT , which I preferred then to them bowing out early in the NCAAs , but now I think it’s entirely possible for them to get to the second weekend in the big dance . NCAA !

The NIT is so irrelevant now that no one cares or remembers who won it. NCAA all the way!

I can 150% guarantee that if Pitt makes the NCAA tournament, then Pitt’s lowest possible seed is 11th.
I’d say it’s extremely likely they’d be an 11 or better, but if they get in as an auto-qualifier they could be a 12+. Georgia was a 14 seed at some point.

I’d say it’s extremely likely they’d be an 11 or better, but if they get in as an auto-qualifier they could be a 12+. Georgia was a 14 seed at some point.
That Georgia team entered the SEC tournament at 13-16 and 4-12 in the SEC, before a miracle run to win it.

There is zero way that Pitt would be anywhere close to that low if it won the ACC tournament. They’d probably be wearing white jerseys in the first round of the tournament if they win the ACC.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
That Georgia team entered the SEC tournament at 13-16 and 4-12 in the SEC, before a miracle run to win it.

There is zero way that Pitt would be anywhere close to that low if it won the ACC tournament. They’d probably be wearing white jerseys in the first round of the tournament if they win the ACC.
Obviously the chances are slim. I’m far from an expert in seeding but I can’t see Pitt jumping to an 8 seed by winning the ACC Tournament.

OR

Anybody who EVER chooses (2) needs to have their head examined.

It is better to go 0-1 in the NCAA than to win the NIT.

I prefer the NIT especially with Pitt being a 14th or 15th seed in the NCAAT.
There is a zero chance that any P6 team will be lower than a 12-seed. If a last-place team of a P6 conference somehow won their tourney, they be at worst a 13-seed.

OR

I want to go the NCAA Tourney just for the excitement leading up to our 1st game and the exposure.

Making the NcAA Tourney earns the conference monetary units that are then distributed to the schools so in addition to the prestige of making the tournament, the conference (and therefore) Pitt benefits financially. Pitt might make money off parking and concessions for NIT home games, but the payback is minimal on top of the fact that no one remembers who wins the NIT.

Can anybody name the 2023 NIT champion without looking it up? I can’t.
Nope, but I do remember Nevada getting destroyed by ASU in Dayton. The MWC getting 6 bids is garbage. SD St. is the only team that has done anything the last couple years.

Nope, but I do remember Nevada getting destroyed by ASU in Dayton. The MWC getting 6 bids is garbage. SD St. is the only team that has done anything the last couple years.
12 MWC teams have made the last 4 NCAA Tournaments and only one got out of the first round (SDSU, obviously). In the same timeframe, 4 different ACC teams made the final four (UVA, UNC, Duke, Miami).

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I genuinely can’t believe that there’s anyone on earth who would rather see their team win the NIT, which is truly the Whogivesashit Bowl, versus making the Big Dance. One thing is certain, there’s not a player or coach in the country who would take the NIT championship over making the Dance and having the chance to make some noise. It’s a no brainer.

The last team into the Dance gets about 10 times more attention and cred than the NIT champ every year.

If the choice was between Pitt making the tournament and losing by 30 in the first round or winning the NIT, I’m still taking the tournament every time.

Last edited:
Reactions: NTOP and TD_6082

OR

I'd rather lose in Dayton than win the NIT. This reminds me of the arguments I had with Penn State during their NIT dynasty of the early to mid 2000s-2010s

Reactions: TD_6082
The NIT is pointless.

Back in the day, there was a consolation game at the Final Four to determine 3rd place. I assume it was scrapped because nobody wanted to be there or felt like playing in a consolation game. Yet somehow, we still carry on with a consolation tournament.

I prefer the NIT especially with Pitt being a 14th or 15th seed in the NCAAT.
huh? you have watched the tournament before have you not? Arizona gets a cakewalk against Pitt in the 2-15 game.hahaha...

The NIT is pointless.

Back in the day, there was a consolation game at the Final Four to determine 3rd place. I assume it was scrapped because nobody wanted to be there or felt like playing in a consolation game. Yet somehow, we still carry on with a consolation tournament.
yes, because playing a few more games against solid competition and having a few more practices together is detrimental to the younger players on the roster...the entire college bowl system is a consolation tournament...

yes, because playing a few more games against solid competition and having a few more practices together is detrimental to the younger players on the roster...the entire college bowl system is a consolation tournament...
That's why so many players opt out of bowl games and coaches are already job hopping.

But bowl games aren't really a tournament. And I'm sure they draw a lot more interest than the NIT.

Honestly, if this team won the NIT, it would probably be better for a developmental standpoint to have the extra games and practices but we could not show up and lose Game 1 in the NIT. Or win it and then have like everyone transfer so what's the point. Much rather go to Dayton and take our chances.

I haven't looked forward to the NIT since the mid-60s. Of course, if Pitt is in it, I will certainly watch.

The NCAA is now the only tournament that matters. I want to be in the tournament that produces the national champ. There's no reason that Pitt can't be a Cinderella. I want the opportunity to see how far the Panthers can go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT