ADVERTISEMENT

Who exactly are we recruiting?

If someone wants to "like" AKC or hope he is able to develop into a good or great player, they will receive no pushback from me. I want every player in a Pitt uniform to excel and that desire doesn't need to be objective. Vader doesn't need to keep misapplying ORtg in order to feel optimistic. This isn't a science class or a courtroom. He says, "I've proved it," when he's done no such thing.

I'll go to my grave thinking Shamiel Stevenson would've been a really good player for Pitt under different circumstances, and I have less than zero data supporting that assertion.

If you get bored some day...

Go into every Power 6 team that makes the NCAA Tournament this year, and count the number of players each team has with an ORTG of over 100+. Then do it for 95+, then 90+.

You will come to find out the magic number is right at 7-8. I did this very exercise with respect to the Big Ten maybe a week ago to prove my point on here about what is needed to be NCAA worthy with respect to ORTG.

The numbers don't lie. If you are at 6 players or less, you are in significant trouble. If you have multiple players like Jeffress in the 70's or Brown in the 80s, you are in serious trouble. You cant have that type of serious weakness and be an NCAA Tournament team.

Last edited:
Reactions: 73CAV
This team needs a lot of help. Like 3 more legit players added to the roster including a center with Champ returning. The depth of this team was so depleted and bad and Brown was so bad... Its not worth arguing and beating that dead horse anymore.

We need overall team talent and a major injection of it. No more Brown, no more walkon point guard, no more 17 year old kids starting when they clearly are no where near ready, and way better guard and wing depth to crank up the defensive pressure. The team needs an injection of legit ACC talent. Get an injection of ACC talent and every player on this team should improve because at the college level, its far harder stopping 5 players that can score with legit depth as opposed to 3 or 4 players carrying the entire team offense.

LOL, dude this is what everyone is saying and why everyone is complaining about ZERO recruits for 2021. It's why nobody cares about the 2022 class. On a good team AKC and Horton come off the bench and their usage goes down, not up.

You're 100% right, they need an injection of ACC talent in a big way. Which is exactly what we're all saying. It has nothing to do with AKC's usage.

If someone wants to "like" AKC or hope he is able to develop into a good or great player, they will receive no pushback from me. I want every player in a Pitt uniform to excel and that desire doesn't need to be objective. Vader doesn't need to keep misapplying ORtg in order to feel optimistic. This isn't a science class or a courtroom. He says, "I've proved it," when he's done no such thing.

I'll go to my grave thinking Shamiel Stevenson would've been a really good player for Pitt under different circumstances, and I have less than zero data supporting that assertion.
If Pitt put out there on the court 7 or 8 guys with AKC abilities I doubt they’d be a contender in the ACC , but what Vader is saying , I believe , is that he wasn’t the reason for Pitts issues this season . If they had enough players who could‘ve performed equally as well as AKC did they’d have been a much better team .

It’s common sense that you need enough players who play at a certain level to be a successful team and if he’s done the research I’m willing to buy into his numbers . It was painfully obvious that Jeffress and Collier just aren’t ready to play at this level yet and you don’t need any detailed status statistical analysis to understand this .

Let’s not give up on AKC he made nice strides from yr 1 to 2 . Let’s hope Jeffress and Collier do also .

If Pitt put out there on the court 7 or 8 guys with AKC abilities I doubt they’d be a contender in the ACC , but what Vader is saying , I believe , is that he wasn’t the reason for Pitts issues this season . If they had enough players who could‘ve performed equally as well as AKC did they’d have been a much better team .

It’s common sense that you need enough players who play at a certain level to be a successful team and if he’s done the research I’m willing to buy into his numbers . It was painfully obvious that Jeffress and Collier just aren’t ready to play at this level yet and you don’t need any detailed status statistical analysis to understand this .

Let’s not give up on AKC he made nice strides from yr 1 to 2 . Let’s hope Jeffress and Collier do also .

Nail on Head, you got it!

I think AKC has the ability to easily become a 10 and 6 type player within the next 3 seasons. I also think he easily has the ability to be a starting center from the ACC on an NCAA Tournament team.

People forget what Zanna looked like as a redshirt freshmen or a redshirt sophomore. Or perhaps someone way less athletic. People forget what Lamar Patterson looked like as redshirt freshmen. Or what Nasir Robinson looked like as a sophomore. Heck, it took Nasir Robinson until his senior year before he could break 105 ORTG. Or how about Gary Mcghee as a freshmen or sophomore.

AKC just turned 20 years old a few months back. He isnt 23 or 24 like a lot of these other older players on ACC rosters or all the redshirted older players on past Pitt teams. He's got an old mans old school game. And he has post moves. He needs to work on the handle with both hands. He does that, he has some "Aluma" ability. Again, I like him.
Can AKC even touch the backboard? He can’t jump!!! No way he gets 6 rebounds a game unless he is playing all guys 6 feet and shorter.

There is a lack of patience with the program. And I get it after the last 5 years why that is with everything that has happened and how bad things became.

All you have to do is look back and see all the people saying Odukale was a bust 3 games into his college career coming off a broken arm or Horton is a bust after not playing for 2 years his first few games. Or any of these other players that are underclassmen. Some of these people replying to me said these very things. They are freshmen and sophomores, not redshirt juniors and seniors.

Let these guys get a full season or even 2 full seasons under their belt before drawing any hard conclusions, especially freshmen.

Yea, in some ways it may feel like starting over if Champ is done but we have a legit core returning.

And man, a player like Jeffress is 17 years old and some people have his career mapped out saying he's going to be a stud or going to be a bust. I don't know how anyone can draw any conclusion on Jeffress either way after what I saw this year considering his age. Yea there is potential there, but he has a lot of polishing to do in his game in a lot of different areas and it better start on the glass if he is going to be anywhere near "worthy" of being a legit ACC starter next year.

This team needs a lot of help. Like 3 more legit players added to the roster including a center with Champ returning. The depth of this team was so depleted and bad and Brown was so bad... Its not worth arguing and beating that dead horse anymore.

We need overall team talent and a major injection of it. No more Brown, no more walkon point guard, no more 17 year old kids starting when they clearly are no where near ready, and way better guard and wing depth to crank up the defensive pressure. The team needs an injection of legit ACC talent. Get an injection of ACC talent and every player on this team should improve because at the college level, its far harder stopping 5 players that can score with legit depth as opposed to 3 or 4 players carrying the entire team offense. And its way easier sustaining defensive pressure with legit depth and not with walk on players, 17 year old kids, and Brown.

AKC and Nike are the least of my worries right now. I already know they can play.
Who said Femi was a bust?

I mean, you were so certain that X was "so much" better than Femi. In fact, you wrote it in stone. Thoughts?

My thoughts are that while Odukale had some good games and shows some good promise for the future, it's obvious that right now, this season, Johnson was the better player.

I'm not sure where or when I "wrote it in stone", but if I did, good on me because I obviously got that one right.

The team offense ORTG functioned at 108, 98, 104, 114, 111 in those 5 games. The team offense for the entire season finished at 108. What is that telling you?

It's telling you that we played worse on offense the last five games than we did the rest of the season. Not a lot worse, but worse.

Wait a second, that wasn't what you were going for, was it.

Im glad X is the hell out of here and I don't want him back.

I don't want him back either.

It's telling you that we played worse on offense the last five games than we did the rest of the season. Not a lot worse, but worse.

It’s amazing that people can’t separate that we were clearly better with XJ and wanting him back. We wouldn’t win next year with or without him so it was time to move on.

Reactions: Drew1208

Im going to enjoy revisiting this in the future. Femi vs X. I really am.

Just like the Horton vs Turnover Mcgowens debate

• Haha
Reactions: CougarClaws
Im going to enjoy revisiting this in the future. Femi vs X. I really am.

By all means, please do.

Remember what the argument is though. I know that Johnson was a better player this year that Odukale. You think that Odukale was better. It the argument has nothing at all, literally, absolutely nothing at all, about whether Odukale becomes a better player a year or two from now than Johnson was when he was here.

I mean I get that there is a really good chance that that's what you will want to pretend we are talking about, because that's the kind of thing that you do. But you can pretend as much as you want, that won't change what the actual discussion was.

By all means, please do.

Remember what the argument is though. I know that Johnson was a better player this year that Odukale. You think that Odukale was better. It the argument has nothing at all, literally, absolutely nothing at all, about whether Odukale becomes a better player a year or two from now than Johnson was when he was here.

I mean I get that there is a really good chance that that's what you will want to pretend we are talking about, because that's the kind of thing that you do. But you can pretend as much as you want, that won't change what the actual discussion was.

Let me clarify. I already said X was the better player this year. Multiple times in unedited posts in the past. But Odukale is going to fly past him in the future. Still has nothing to do with Femi's playing time being as low as it was a chunk of the season as it should have been higher.

Let me clarify. I already said X was the better player this year. Multiple times in unedited posts in the past. But Odukale is going to fly past him in the future. Still has nothing to do with Femi's playing time being as low as it was a chunk of the season as it should have been more.

Wait a second. You agree with me that Johnson was the better player this year. And you agree with me that we should have been playing Odukale more earlier this season. So what, exactly, is it that we are going to be revisiting in the future?

Just so I can keep this straight.

Wait a second. You agree with me that Johnson was the better player this year. And you agree with me that we should have been playing Odukale more earlier this season. So what, exactly, is it that we are going to be revisiting in the future?

Just so I can keep this straight.

That Femi is going to fly past X.

And yea I agree with you X was better this year. His ORTG was higher the whole season and Femi started off real slow to start. Although Odukale closed the gap substantially in the last month. In the end, it was very tight in ACC Conference play. I dont feel like digging up the stats again. But you can compare the acc conference only stats to see what Im talking about.

It’s not a hard on. He’s a better overall player. There’s one thing he doesn’t do better than Horton. That isn’t gonna change anytime soon.
Hopefully we can recruit over Horton and have him provide instant offense coming off the bench. I wouldn’t want to count on either player starting and playing 30 minutes a game.

Jamie Dixon said "We're always recruiting."
HCJC knew he had 2 scholarships for sure and likely one or two more due to transfers
(since 40% of all players transfer and at least 2 players will never see PT)
So far as anyone knows, he didn't come close to anyone thus far in 2021.
That's not a different approach.
That's failure.
I'm sorry, but is Jaime Dixon coaching this team?
Do all coaches share the same recruiting philosophy?
Did it occur to you that he may have wanted to use his open scholarships on grad transfers? It is noted on this board that he is recruiting 2022 kids very hard.

If I confused you with someone else, then my mistake. Perhaps I did.

I mean I was arguing (and I'm not saying I was the only one) earlier this year that we should be finding ways to play him more. I wouldn't say that if I thought someone was both worse than the guy that they would have been taking some time from AND that they had no chance to be better in the future.

I did say to the people who thought that we should move Johnson to the two to make those minutes happen were wrong, because I don't think Johnson could be an effective two.

Most of these kids moved up substantially in the rankings already because of the mass 2021 exodus from last year with players from 2021 that reclassed down to 2020. We had a 6 man class in 2020.

People keep saying how "bad" things are and its all Capel.

Jeff Capel didn't anticipate John Hugley committing multiple felonies before playing a game.

He also didn't anticipate Odukale colliding with a car and breaking his arm and missing months of preseason practice and conditioning time before playing a single game.

He also didnt anticipate Toney getting in a car accident and being lost for the season anyway with a concussion.

He also didn't anticipate Jeffress missing 5 weeks in the preseason because of injury.

He also didn't anticipate waiting for Nike midseason to get cleared to play when almost every other transfer was cleared from the get go. Then he had to wait because of Covid.

Then our Coach came down with Covid.

There is such a thing as bad luck. But not when it involves almost every impact player we expected to help this year and the bad cards here included the entire playing hand.

Capel is at fault too. Had we secured Julian Champagnie and Posh Alexander from New York this team pushes for the NCAA Tournament this year and we should have had both of them.

You saw already what Champ and Odukale bring to the table. Sleep on NY talent at your own peril. Ill wait for it in 2022 if I must wait. And I dont care what these other programs recruited in 2021. The main miss that SMF is pointing to is Brandon Weston from New York. That's it.
Lol!

NC St and Arizona already involved. Going to explore professional options overseas as well.
Has made like 400 career 3 pointers at 6’7”

'm sorry, but is Jaime Dixon coaching this team?
Do all coaches share the same recruiting philosophy?
Did it occur to you that he may have wanted to use his open scholarships on grad transfers? It is noted on this board that he is recruiting 2022 kids very hard.

The number #1 responsibility of all P5 or P6 D1 b-ball is recruiting
A big part of HCJC's attractiveness was his rep for recruiting

To answer your question:
There is no doubt that all D1 coaches are recruiting all the time.
That's hardly unique to JD or anyone else.
That is job

You reframe HCJC's failure to recruit anyone for 2021 during the prime recruiting season as realizing his objectives. You might consider replacing his agent or becoming a professional apologist.

There's no way to put a good face on this.
It was a big whiff.
And I like and am rooting for JC .
But let's recognize it for what it is: a Ziggy.
And it's a matter for concern.
Especially, going into yr 4 of a rebuild.

Reactions: WannyandWalt

To answer your question:
That is job

You reframe HCJC's failure to recruit anyone for 2021 during the prime recruiting season as realizing his objectives. You might consider replacing his agent or becoming a professional apologist.

It was a big whiff.
Ok so here goes my take.
Coming into the season we had 1 or 2 scholarships.
Looking at the roster

To answer your question:
That is job

It was a big whiff.
We can go back and forth on this years recruiting. The way I look at it is that coming into the year he had 1-2 scholarships. Based on his roster and what kids would have been back the kids he may have been looking at may have been limited. Some of the kids he may have been looking at may not of wanted to sit behind upperclassmen. I think with only a few scholarships he may have come into the season hoping to fill them with a grad transfer or 2. As we have read on the board (and a few places outside this board) it looks like he is trying to load up.

Now, was this the right approach? Only Capel knows for sure. I too am a fan and think he can elevate the program. The way I look at it is this was a dumpster fire with the last coach. I people on this board want him gone, that is their opinion. Many people want instant satisfaction, sometimes it takes a little longer.

I am going to ask you a what if question. Lets just say we didn't have all the issues we had on this team this year and they were good enough to at least go to the NIT and return all the players again for next year? Would you have been satisfied? If everybody would have been back for next year we wouldn't be worried so much about who he was recruiting and would have gladly taken a grad transfer.

I know the dead period and all... but I can only name two Hail Mary recruits (Efton Reid and JHS - reclassify), the transfer PG from FIU and the 6’8” kid from Germany who we are recruiting.

Recruiting has been unusually silent especially for a team with 4-5 open scholarships.

Anyone else we’re in on?

Ok so here goes my take.
Coming into the season we had 1 or 2 scholarships.
Looking at the roster

We can go back and forth on this years recruiting. The way I look at it is that coming into the year he had 1-2 scholarships. Based on his roster and what kids would have been back the kids he may have been looking at may have been limited. Some of the kids he may have been looking at may not of wanted to sit behind upperclassmen. I think with only a few scholarships he may have come into the season hoping to fill them with a grad transfer or 2. As we have read on the board (and a few places outside this board) it looks like he is trying to load up.

Now, was this the right approach? Only Capel knows for sure. I too am a fan and think he can elevate the program. The way I look at it is this was a dumpster fire with the last coach. I people on this board want him gone, that is their opinion. Many people want instant satisfaction, sometimes it takes a little longer.

I am going to ask you a what if question. Lets just say we didn't have all the issues we had on this team this year and they were good enough to at least go to the NIT and return all the players again for next year? Would you have been satisfied? If everybody would have been back for next year we wouldn't be worried so much about who he was recruiting and would have gladly taken a grad transfer.
Interesting take. A static look at recruiting as a whole before all of these personnel actions and it certainly may have been a case of kids looking at playing time as the roster was constructed AT THAT TIME. Coaches are supposed to be recruiting 365 days a year but maybe kids weren’t interested in playing for Pitt then. Maybe things change a bit now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT