ADVERTISEMENT

Why can't Pitt have 2 color combinations?

I'm sure butts in seats it was which is why is was a smart move... the tv was only a bonus.. and the write ups nationally came from it being televised and people seeing them....

I don't understand the complaints on this one bit...

PSU never made sense....

Like I said familiarity.... Pittsburghers love to complain about damn near everything

Wouldn't surprise me that Pitt will wear them against Penn State this year, now that we have a bunch of injuries, a new starting QB and playing at Beaver Stadium for a 3 TD loss on national TV.

Is that complaining enough for you? :cool:

Wouldn't surprise me that Pitt will wear them against Penn State this year, now that we have a bunch of injuries, a new starting QB and playing at Beaver Stadium for a 3 TD loss on national TV.

Is that complaining enough for you? :cool:
I didn't mean you specifically....

Pitt needs to get a road version of throwback first though.

I think Pitt has a better shot than most are saying... remember... Clemson

Did they do one of these for 2017 yet????

pitt-football2.jpg

I like that the script is back and I like the throwback colors. However, I'm not sure it makes a ton of sense to go back to them permanently. Here's why:

- Royal blue and yellow sell well, even outselling navy and vegas gold from what's been rumored....but navy and vegas STILL sell. If we go back to royal and yellow, there would be no longing for navy and vegas and you eliminate that income source

- As a fan who wears a lot of Pitt clothing, I like having more Pitt colored-options other than navy, vegas, white, or gray. By having 6 colors (7 if you count black), you give fans more choices and more reasons to buy.

- If you go the royal and yellow permanently, what becomes the "cool" alternate uniform that people, especially players and recruits get excited about....and why couldn't you do that (ie Midnight Panther unis) anyway

If it were me, I'd keep the navy and vegas primary scheme but have the following wardrobes for the 12 games:

7 home
4 navy and vegas
2 royal and yellow
1 ultra-cool uni per year (like Midnight Panther, all yellows with a royal helmet, etc)

5 road
4 navy and vegas
1 royal and yellow

I see no reason why we cannot switch up our uniforms/color schemes like Oregon......not to the point where we have 10 different uniform sets but have enough variety where we arent wearing the same combo each game.
nothing like uniform Balkanization to bring the squad together.....

Nike just completed their study. Since a portion of the fans prefer the 70s blue, another portion prefer the 80s blue, and another portion prefer the current blue, Pitt will now wear tri shade blue units with no other colors. Gold and white are gone. Get ready!

Blue also refelcts the rich history of the Pittsburgh area, with the different hues of blue that could form in the sky due to the operation of steel mills. In addition, Pitt fans are also often feeling blue after big games.

Also, there will be a hammer on the helmet now, to reflect steel being molded, Bla bla bla. That's how the results will go.
You laugh (I did too) ... But this probably was almost exactly the thought process by the marketing committee that produced the Pittsburgh Maulers logo!

Lots of people care.

Maybe we should focus group it here and see what happens if it comes up periwinkle and eggshell.
paulbl99, this doesn't mean much though. if the athletic dept isn't going to match their new unis to the actual official school color, what's the point of even having an official color? Maybe for copyright logos on the academic side and such but not really relevant to what we care about and that's uniforms..

paulbl99, this doesn't mean much though. if the athletic dept isn't going to match their new unis to the actual official school color, what's the point of even having an official color? Maybe for copyright logos on the academic side and such but not really relevant to what we care about and that's uniforms..
The swim team needs school colors to match their swim caps?

It's cornball but many dig the tradition aspect of college football. Winning is more important, and if they'd focus on that, they can wear the periwinkle for what i'd care ... but since they don't give a dump about winning, can't they give a dump to look semi-decent, at least? So I don't feel like (more of) a fool walking about wearing the gear?

It's cornball but many dig the tradition aspect of college football. Winning is more important, and if they'd focus on that, they can wear the periwinkle for what i'd care ... but since they don't give a dump about winning, can't they give a dump to look semi-decent, at least? So I don't feel like (more of) a fool walking about wearing the gear?

So you feel like a "fool" wearing what? The Royal & Yellow? I love the royal and yellow gear! I love my Royal & Yellow hoodie that I wear with my baggy cargo sweatpants. Love the big pockets on the sides. Are you one of those mature people that feels odd wearing sports team gear and wish it was the '50s so you could wear white dress shirts, ties and slacks to ball games? ?

Lots of people care.

Maybe we should focus group it here and see what happens if it comes up periwinkle and eggshell.
No, they really don't. Why do you care if some document says the school colors are "x and y" and jerseys are a different color? It doesn't matter a lick what the "official school colors" are listed as. What matters is Pitt has a marketable logo and color scheme and can make money selling merchandise. There is no reason to even have "official school colors" and less reason they have to be the color scheme of all the jerseys or merchandise.

So you feel like a "fool" wearing what? The Royal & Yellow? I love the royal and yellow gear! I love my Royal & Yellow hoodie that I wear with my baggy cargo sweatpants. Love the big pockets on the sides. Are you one of those mature people that feels odd wearing sports team gear and wish it was the '50s so you could wear white dress shirts, ties and slacks to ball games? ?
pitt79, I saw a pic of tim salem today and he had cargo shorts on, I thought of you. They werent' baggy though,

No, they really don't. Why do you care if some document says the school colors are "x and y" and jerseys are a different color? It doesn't matter a lick what the "official school colors" are listed as. What matters is Pitt has a marketable logo and color scheme and can make money selling merchandise. There is no reason to even have "official school colors" and less reason they have to be the color scheme of all the jerseys or merchandise.
Leave it to Pitt to be about the only f'g university on the country to not be able to put on unis w colors representing what the schools colors are and have been.

Oregon does it differently but even they are going back to standards mostly

The Pitt ATHDept has been a mostly 2 bit screwup since they got rid of Jock Sutherland .

Again focus group it every year that should please the crowd on this board.

Reactions: brickfhouse
Yes. Your description sounds precisely the kind of foolish I'm looking to avoid. :)

The royal and yellow isn't my cup of tea but I'm talking more the ratty knockoff stuff with flashdance-like graphics, still having dinocat and/or "Pittsburgh" (torch or block or some totally different font) that can STILL be found in stores (even some in the Pitt stores). For the same stores also featuring Penn State or Notre Dame stuff, even their cheapest knockoff stuff looks semi respectable, has the right (current) logo, semblance of correct colors, conservative fonts, etc ... you wouldn't be sheepish to throw on to run to get takeout let alone somewhere social.

Leave it to Pitt to be about the only f'g university on the country to not be able to put on unis w colors representing what the schools colors are and have been.

Oregon does it differently but even they are going back to standards mostly

The Pitt ATHDept has been a mostly 2 bit screwup since they got rid of Jock Sutherland .

Again focus group it every year that should please the crowd on this board.
Not even close to true. The "official school colors" don't mean squat.

Not even close to true. The "official school colors" don't mean squat.
USC
Michigan
tOSU
Auburn
Alabama
Georgia
FSU
Miami
Florida
Stanford
Texas
Wisconsin
Iowa
Oklahoma
State College
Have all had pretty much the same unis and certainly mostly the same or very similar color scheme for 50 years

Need more ?

Last edited:
Reactions: brickfhouse
USC
Michigan
tOSU
Auburn
Alabama
Georgia
Texas
Wisconsin
Iowa
Oklahoma
State College
Have all had pretty much the same unis and certainly mostly the same or very similar color scheme for 50 years

Need more ?
Why would anyone "need more"? It doesn't matter, at all. It is arbitrary. Plus, many of those schools have "secondary colors" or colors which athletics teams wear, which are slightly different than the "official colors".

Why would anyone "need more"? It doesn't matter, at all. It is arbitrary. Plus, many of those schools have "secondary colors" or colors which athletics teams wear, which are slightly different than the "official colors".
You said not even close.
Wrong

Secondary unis or alt unis are not what I'm talking about. Those are great to do but as I said and am spot on.......

All those listed above know their damn school colors and stick with them

You said not even close.
Wrong

Secondary unis or alt unis are not what I'm talking about. Those are great to do but as I said and am spot on.......

All those listed above know their damn school colors and stick with them
Correct. You are not close. You presented 15 schools, of about 120, and still aren't correct on all of those.

I am not talking about secondary uniforms, but actual secondary colors or uniform colors, which don't technically match their "official colors" for a myriad of reasons. This is even more true when it comes to merchandising.

Even with all that said, it still doesn't matter at all what the listed school colors are listed by the University. The "official colors" can be changed whenever they want. They have no actual meaning outside of merchandising and sports uniforms. For most, they are variations of colors picked by random students or president's wives 150 years ago. That is no reason to shape your merchandising and branding.

I like our alternate unis last year, the ones a lot of you mistakenly refer to as our "throwbacks" as what they are, alternative unis, nothing more. They look nice, mainly because they are significantly different. You go this way will all unis, they'll get old fast. the blue is way to bright, WAY too bright but I still like them for a game or two.

what annoys me is how the athletic dept got all official with their color scheme, releasing the pantone gold color and then two days later, unveiling their new uniforms and the gold was nowhere near what they just released as the official color. I mean why go all official with this only to contradict yourself 48 hours later..

In a perfect world, they go back to the mustard and dark blue, not that midnight blue that looks black like they have now and get rid of the bright ass metallic gold look, it sucks. Penguins gave up on it, now follow them, they know what they are doing.
Navy blue(shade they wear now) is my favorite color anyway.Navy and Mustard or a little lighter is the way to go if a change needs to be made at all.

Yes. Your description sounds precisely the kind of foolish I'm looking to avoid. :)

The royal and yellow isn't my cup of tea but I'm talking more the ratty knockoff stuff with flashdance-like graphics, still having dinocat and/or "Pittsburgh" (torch or block or some totally different font) that can STILL be found in stores (even some in the Pitt stores). For the same stores also featuring Penn State or Notre Dame stuff, even their cheapest knockoff stuff looks semi respectable, has the right (current) logo, semblance of correct colors, conservative fonts, etc ... you wouldn't be sheepish to throw on to run to get takeout let alone somewhere social.

I still have and wear gear that says PITTSBURGH and has the Dinocat logo, I STILL WEAR IT. I have a nice hoodie with PITTSBURGH written in script, sewn on. Did you get rid of your gear from that era just because they went back to script Pitt?

USC
Michigan
tOSU
Auburn
Alabama
Georgia
FSU
Miami
Florida
Stanford
Texas
Wisconsin
Iowa
Oklahoma
State College

Need more ?
so what? who cares?

I still have and wear gear that says PITTSBURGH and has the Dinocat logo, I STILL WEAR IT. I have a nice hoodie with PITTSBURGH written in script, sewn on. Did you get rid of your gear from that era just because they went back to script Pitt?
I don't doubt it you mentioned in another thread that the majority of your wardrobe is PITT sweatshirts/hoodies, etc.

No i got rid of it because it got old. When I buy new to replace, I tend to prefer to buy something current.

No i got rid of it because it got old. When I buy new to replace, I tend to prefer to buy something current.

I get rid of old stuff, but it has to be really old, and something I really like, like the PITTSBURGH script hoodie, which is about 15 years old, I may never get rid of it. I own T shirts and sweatshirts that I still wear that are over 20 years old.

I get rid of old stuff, but it has to be really old, and something I really like, like the PITTSBURGH script hoodie, which is about 15 years old, I may never get rid of it. I own T shirts and sweatshirts that I still wear that are over 20 years old.
The look I'm giving now can only be described as the ones David Spade would give Chris Farley in "Tommy Boy" when Tommy squirted mayonnaise in his mouth. But Tommy got the last laugh over the evil Rob Lowe so the laugh is on me.

I don't doubt it you mentioned in another thread that the majority of your wardrobe is PITT sweatshirts/hoodies, etc.
Not really, I wear business casual to work. Also wear polo shirts, dress shirts, jeans, etc. But casual wear is usually t shirts and sweatshirts/hoodies. Tomorrow, I'm going with a yellow Ben Roethlisberger #7 t shirt on casual Friday, to work in honor of the Steelers pre season opener, I'll be addressing the staff meeting of the 40 or so members of my team, dressed that way. With cargo pants. Discussing a $1.7 million project we are working on. Again, it's casual Friday. I'm dressed up wearing a polo shirt and jeans today.

Not really, I wear business casual to work. Also wear polo shirts, dress shirts, jeans, etc. But casual wear is usually t shirts and sweatshirts/hoodies. Tomorrow, I'm going with a yellow Ben Roethlisberger #7 t shirt on casual Friday, to work in honor of the Steelers pre season opener, I'll be addressing the staff meeting of the 40 or so members of my team, dressed that way. With cargo pants. Discussing a $1.7 million project we are working on. Again, it's casual Friday. I'm dressed up wearing a polo shirt and jeans today.
Dirty trick to play on the folks who will think you are Big Ben.

It sounds like you treat casual Friday as 'Sit Around the House Sunday', and business casual as casual Friday.

Reactions: Jpripper88
It sounds like you treat casual Friday as 'Sit Around the House Sunday', and business casual as casual Friday.

Where I work, everybody does that, everybody is 6 figure salary IT people. Many of them wear shorts and t shirts every day. I'm a project manager, so I don't go that route all the time. There are a few Type As in suits and ties, but I just can't do it. We don't sell anything, we don't deal with the public, 90% of the time we just see each other, why does it matter? Sure there are times, we meet with outsiders or do presentations etc. and dress up a bit, otherwise it's OUR WORK that is 99.9% of our value, not our appearance.

Where I work, everybody does that, everybody is 6 figure salary IT people. Many of them wear shorts and t shirts every day. I'm a project manager, so I don't go that route all the time. There are a few Type As in suits and ties, but I just can't do it. We don't sell anything, we don't deal with the public, 90% of the time we just see each other, why does it matter? Sure there are times, we meet with outsiders or do presentations etc. and dress up a bit, otherwise it's OUR WORK that is 99.9% of our value, not our appearance.

Hey, I'm not criticizing anybody. Let people wear whatever they want. But jeans aren't business casual. You might be able to pull off "smart casual" with jeans and a jacket, but not business casual.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Hey, I'm not criticizing anybody. Let people wear whatever they want. But jeans aren't business casual. You might be able to pull off "smart casual" with jeans and a jacket, but not business casual.

Where I work they are. Where I work there is absolutely no dress code. There are computer programmers making $150K/year wearing shorts and t shirts every day. Jeans and a polo shirt is pretty middle of the road business casual here.

Actually, in many cases the most talented are the worst dress. Clearly they feel secure that SKILL will trump surface perception.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT