ADVERTISEMENT

why didn't fans storm the field?

BradlyPitt

Redshirt
Jan 14, 2017
just about everywhere else when the home team has a big home win, especially when they were heavy underdogs, the fans storm the field and tear down the goal posts

why didn't our fans do this after beating number 2 ranked miami?

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Because a 5-7 team doesn't storm the field. I've been to two games where it happened and both times the game was against a bitter arch rival in the top 5 that placed the winner into national championship talk.
Candidly, beating quality teams is fairly common at Pitt.
We win a dramatic game to go 11-1 or 12-2, you'll get you storm troopers.

just about everywhere else when the home team has a big home win, especially when they were heavy underdogs, the fans storm the field and tear down the goal posts

fans storming the field when their team just won its 5th (and final) game of the season speaks volumes about the expectations fans have.

Our program has been in the toilet for 35 years...but at least we have the good sense not to embarrass ourselves any further.

We just don’t do it - in football or basketball.

Basketball we used to say there was not such thing as a home upset. Football it was more the security was tight

Pitt fans dont do much of anything except complain, and not attend games!
That's why Pitt fans are terrible!
No energy or enthusiam!

But when Pitt fans do attend games most place their " fat butts" in their seats and sit there like its a funeral!

Some get mad when people stand up to cheer or dance to the music at the Pitt games.

Others get mad when people sit in their seats and cheer " you're making to much noise.??"

Noone in our section stands or anything although it would take a crane to get most of them up out of their seats!

It "ain't going to get no better."

Last edited:
I remember one time when additional security was brought in because storming the field was a possibility. There were even city police officers on horses surrounding the field Most likely this was a WVU game with the Big East on the line but I don't remember...then Pitt lost so we don't know if fans would have been daring enough to attempt it anyway.

I remember one time when additional security was brought in because storming the field was a possibility. There were even city police officers on horses surrounding the field Most likely this was a WVU game with the Big East on the line but I don't remember...then Pitt lost so we don't know if fans would have been daring enough to attempt it anyway.

That was the 2009 Cinny game!

I believe we had a 41 ?- 10? halftime lead and Wanny couldn't figure out how to win that game???

Reactions: Jakey_John
Security makes it very difficult. Students generally storm the field and there weren't many there. But, in general, security makes it difficult. Only field storming that really made sense was the last game at Pitt Stadium.

I think storming the field is lame so I'm glad that they don't in hoops or football.

Reactions: RHS14
we should have stormed the field only to have ruiney's jack booted henchmen rough us up like steelworkers in homestead in 1892. Note we stormed the field when we shut out poopy pants in 1987. also after the last game at pitt stadium in 1999.

The correct answer is that it's very difficult to storm the field at Heinz Field, another negative to not having our own stadium.

I know I know. "Another negative hater." But... I'm right.

We did storm the field. Its just that the garish green field makes it look like nobody is on it.

I believe we had a 41 ?- 10? halftime lead and Wanny couldn't figure out how to win that game???
no, it wasn't that large. one thing about that game though is we could have gone up even more at halftime but our OLB ran out of bounds after INT instead of making one cut and running in for a score.. It was 31-17 at halftime.

WHAT!?????

Pitt was up 31-17 at halftime and cinvy score first in the second half to make it 31-24.

We should have won, even though we didnt really have a good qb at all, just threw the ball up to baldwin often, but it wasnt as colossal as you claim

most fans don't storm the field anymore, it is stupid. Auburn fans did it but it was more like they just walked onto the field then didn't know what to do once they got out there.

WHAT!?????

Pitt was up 31-17 at halftime and cinvy score first in the second half to make it 31-24.

We should have won, even though we didnt really have a good qb at all, just threw the ball up to baldwin often, but it wasnt as colossal as you claim
Pitt had just scored to make the score 31 - 10 with a minute or so to go before half time, Pitt KO and Gillard ran it back for a TD making the score 31 - 17.

The only reason they didn't storm the field was because of the dozen or so Pittsburgh police officers standing in the corner of the field by the student section. The students were in the aisles just waiting for the clock to hit 0:00 but the security force ruined their chance.

Why storm the field. If you really want to show your appreciation send each player a few bucks they will love you for it.

What this thread has turned into sucks.

We shall never speak of the Cincinnati game again. I thought this was already a well-known rule? :(

It was a fun win, but I don't recall ever getting that excited over sports that I wanted to run onto a field. What do you do after you get on the field?

i actually agree, it's stupid and cliche at this point

but it seems like everybody else does it, so i was wondering why our fans didn't

we've been there before, storming the field is for amateurs.

WHAT!?????

PITT was up 31-10 with 1:30 left in the half; only to have Gilyard complete one of his many long plays that day.

Not allowing people who don't belong to go on the field on the field is not a negative.

Pitt fans:

"Oh geeze, those pesky students are congregating on the field again like a giant mob of maniacs causing shananigans. They don't belong on there and someone is going to get hurt."

Everyone else:

"That's great that our students and fans are celebrating this upset victory by running onto the field.

Pitt fans:

"Oh geeze, those pesky students are congregating on the field again like a giant mob of maniacs causing shananigans. They don't belong on there and someone is going to get hurt."

Everyone else:

"That's great that our students and fans are celebrating this upset victory by running onto the field.

My enjoyment of the game wouldn't have increased even a wee little bit if the students had stormed the field, and if yours would have, quite frankly that's kind of pathetic.

And by the way, not only have people gotten hurt but it wasn't all that long ago that a Syracuse fan took a swing at a Pitt basketball player at the Carrier Dome when their students stormed the court before the game was even over.

most fans don't storm the field anymore, it is stupid. Auburn fans did it but it was more like they just walked onto the field then didn't know what to do once they got out there.
The scene of everyone climbing through the hedges was comical as most fans got stuck and were being dragged through by friends. Hilarious sight and unbecoming of most people outside of a stadium environment.

Reactions: pittman71
My enjoyment of the game wouldn't have increased even a wee little bit if the students had stormed the field, and if yours would have, quite frankly that's kind of pathetic.

And by the way, not only have people gotten hurt but it wasn't all that long ago that a Syracuse fan took a swing at a Pitt basketball player at the Carrier Dome when their students stormed the court before the game was even over.

that happened last season as well when a Michigan football player (Jabril Peppers) slugged a Ohio State fan when they stormed the field.

Halftime score of 31-17 in favor of Pitt and I stood there and watched them continue to kick to Mardy Gilyard and suffer the consequences of doing so.

they hardly ever beat Alabama, maybe if they one more often it wouldn't be such a big deal and they wouldn't need to storm the field.

Over the past 15 years (since 2003), Auburn has won 8 out of 15 contests. It's been a pretty even series overall; usually with a lot on the line in terms of potential National Championships.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT