ADVERTISEMENT

Why I don't follow recruiting:

rpost3

Head Coach
Aug 6, 2008
I've read a few of these. Here's one from a writer who currently covers Iowa for CBSSports, Scout, and 247
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1379329-max-browne-complete-scouting-report-of-usc-5-star-qb

He sees a mix of Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rodgers.
I see a tall slow guy who throws an accurate ball without much velocity.
He would've had a better day yesterday if teammates caught his passes, especially Weah and those 2 transfer tight ends.

Max Browne: Complete Scouting Report of USC 5-Star QB
ANDREW KULHA
OCTOBER 22, 2012

Max Browne is a 5-star pro-style quarterback from Sammamish, Wash., and he's verbally committed to play football for Lane Kiffin and the USC Trojans.

UCS is known for producing some great quarterbacks, and Browne has all the intangibles to be the next big-time quarterback to play in their program.

Here's my full scouting report for USC's 5-star quarterback commit:

Name: Max Browne
Hometown: Sammamish, Wash.
School: Skyline
Position: Quarterback
Height: 6'5'' (Rivals.com)
Weight: 215 lbs (Rivals.com)
Rankings: 5-star (Rivals), 5-star (Scout.com), 5-star (247Sports), 4-star (ESPN Recruiting Nation)

Positives

The first time I watched film on Browne, he instantly reminded me of a mixture between Ben Roethlisberger's size and Aaron Rodgers' accuracy on the run.

Browne displays ideal height and size for an elite quarterback at 6'5'', 215 pounds. He has very good arm strength and a natural throwing motion. He has very good footwork in the pocket and is a fundamental passer, but where he really stands out is his ability to escape the pocket and throw on the run.

For being a pocket passer, he's extremely proficient as a runner as well. He has very good pocket presence and awareness and can extend the play once the pocket breaks down. Much like Rodgers in the NFL, he's extremely accurate when throwing on the run. He doesn't need to have his feet set to make good throws.

He can throw off his back foot or moving laterally. A lot of this skill comes from his great arm strength, and it's also derived from his vision, as his eyes are constantly downfield, searching for a receiver to get open.

In the play below, you can get a good idea of his ability to make things happen outside of the pocket. When the play first starts out, notice how he has good protection, his eyes are upfield and he's standing tall in the pocket.

As soon he feels the pocket starting to break down, though, he immediately starts moving into his running line, but notice how his eyes are still up-field looking for a receiver. This is what really makes him special as a quarterback on the run.

Finally, he makes a good throw with enough zip to get to the receiver quick but with enough touch to make it an easy catch. Notice how he makes the throw without being set with his feet planted, which is key to being able to throw outside of the pocket.

Browne's ability to move around and make things happen outside of the pocket is going to make him a tough quarterback to stop at the college level.

Negatives

There certainly isn't a lot to talk about from a negative standpoint in regards to Browne. He's a 5-star quarterback for a reason, and that's because he has all the tools that make him stand out above the rest.

If there was one thing I would critique, it would be his deep throw. He does a great job of getting air underneath it and giving it good touch, but at the college level, defenders and especially safeties, are going to be much quicker.

Browne will have to learn how to combine his touch and velocity into one throw. He won't be able to trust that his receivers can outrun the defense at the college level, so he won't be able to float as many deep balls.

Projection

I firmly believe that Browne has all the intangibles and skills to be the next elite quarterback in a long line of great quarterbacks for USC. He has the size to be a top-notch NFL quarterback, let alone a college quarterback, and that plus his skill set will allow him to be great at the college level.

He'll have a shot to come in right away and compete for time with Matt Barkley leaving for the NFL, though it may be a smarter option to let him spend a year or two on the bench developing his skills.

When the time does come, though, Browne will be yet another big name for the USC Trojans under center. He'll be one of the better quarterbacks in the nation for USC.

For every Max Browne, there is a Sam Darnold. That's why you have to keep recruiting a good QB every year. Some become busts, but you need just one QB to pan out.

Max never developed, period. MAX still does all the things he did as a freshman or freshman would do. He has some good intangibles but he doesn't have the total package. He is a bust , that's why he is at Pitt. Nothing against Pitt, but had he not been a bust, he would never be here. So Duzz was hoping to strike lightning in a bottle. Hope it works out , so far, mixed results

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT