ADVERTISEMENT

I just saw that at the sports collectors show next month in Monroeville...

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010
That one of the athletes signing is going to be current psu RB nick singleton. I find it amazing that after playing only one year of college football (and it wasn't even a great year statistically) that his signature is worth the $55.00 and up that he is asking. He is actually asking for more money for his signature then several retired professional athletes who will be in attendance. College football is out of hand right now with the transfer portal and NIL deals.
If the NCAA does not step in and set firm rules, the idea of college sports will go away very quickly.

If anything, the market price for what someone will pay for a college athlete's autograph is a legit, true NIL payment. It's hard to argue that's not fair game for these young men. It speaks more to our society that people will pay serious money just to get an autograph from a student-athlete.

The NIL "collectives" created by boosters are another story ...

That one of the athletes signing is going to be current psu RB nick singleton. I find it amazing that after playing only one year of college football (and it wasn't even a great year statistically) that his signature is worth the $55.00 and up that he is asking. He is actually asking for more money for his signature then several retired professional athletes who will be in attendance. College football is out of hand right now with the transfer portal and NIL deals.
If the NCAA does not step in and set firm rules, the idea of college sports will go away very quickly.

Never heard of him but no one is forcing you to buy his autograph. If it's truly a bad deal like you say then he's going to have a slow day and not make much money.

Reactions: TWPitt and cease10
I wouldn't say his autograph is "worth" that much in the true memorabilia collector sense of the word. In a non-NIL world, this kids autograph wouldn't be worth much more than the paper it is on. It is basically a way for regular fans without deep pockets to reward kids who play for the school that they root for. I don't have a problem with it. Just hope that the player gets the lion share of the money instead of the promoter.

Basically, you pay for the kid, not the autograph. It is a chance for fans of a team to line the pockets of a player...NIL at its finest.

Pitt fans would do the same for their star football players, as would Duke and Villanova hoops, and Penn State Wrestling and West Virginia as well. Just need a forum...card show, auto dealer, Picklefest,...

Reactions: 303vND
Autographs are going to ruin college sports?
Being paid to do so, YES. This is a 19 year old, who has played one year of college football. Statistically he did okay, but nothing spectacular. You don't have to agree with me, but it is my opinion on him or any other college football player that played just has one year.

I don't have any problems with our athletes making $$$ off of signing autographs. But I do have a problem seeing some of these show organizers at the SS facility bombarding our players to promote their shows. They even voice their dislike for Pitt and question why in the hell are they allowed around our players and facility. H2P

Reactions: bschulter
If anything, the market price for what someone will pay for a college athlete's autograph is a legit, true NIL payment. It's hard to argue that's not fair game for these young men. It speaks more to our society that people will pay serious money just to get an autograph from a student-athlete.

The NIL "collectives" created by boosters are another story ...

Yes. This is exactly why NIL was created. No reason a kid shouldn't be able to profit off of his autograph or jersey. I have no problem with this. If people want to pay him $55, then that is up to them. That seems to be over market value but how much, really? What I would have a problem with is say a booster giving him 100K for an autograph which is so far over market value, its a pay for play.

I don’t get into autographs at all, so no idea about the price. Good for him if he can make money off of his name though. He’s a great RB, but one injury and he could be done. Glad he can cash in and if he hits it big some fan has a signed piece of memorabilia for their game room.

This is nothing new really. All the player cards for rookie and collegiate athletes signatures start at a high price, it never stays up. First off, 99% of them will be nearly worthless, secondly, for whatever reason, the rookie pro cards are always worth far more than any lower level (college, minor leagues, hs, etc). I think this market is just a way to pay these kids for now. Not many people outside of really die hard PSU fans and some large collectors will pay 55 dollars to a mediocre college back that has super little chance of the card ever being worth more than 55 dollars.

For example you can get a signed Kenny Pickett card for under 30 bucks, and he was a first round draft pick starting as a rookie for one of the most popular pro teams in the country. What is the chance Pitt or someone else has more success than that in the next 20 years? Furthermore, autographs are so easy to fake, the market really isnt there unless it is a certified set card

He had 1061 yards and averaged 6.8 yards per carry and 12 TD as a true freshmen. What would you consider a great year statistically for a true freshman?

Here is the great thing...it a true market. If it truly it over priced then no one will buy it. This what NLI should be. Not fans donating to collective to pay players.

This is just a way for fans to pay the player. Someone could simply purchase 100 autograph tickets and essentially hand over $5500 to the player that way.

Reactions: President Stache
I looked at the website and Singleton is signing "courtesy of Fanatics" which has me thinking he's just getting a flat fee for signing and Fanatics keeps whatever is made over his fee.

I looked at the website and Singleton is signing "courtesy of Fanatics" which has me thinking he's just getting a flat fee for signing and Fanatics keeps whatever is made over his fee.

Another way to funnel money to the player. Someone at Fanatics is a Penn State fan.

• Haha
Reactions: HTownSteeler
Another way to funnel money to the player. Someone at Fanatics is a Penn State fan.
Nah, it’s a way to make money. They’ll have Penn State tchotchkes for sale and will get Nitters to buy whatever they’re getting autographed that day.

Yes. This is exactly why NIL was created. No reason a kid shouldn't be able to profit off of his autograph or jersey. I have no problem with this. If people want to pay him $55, then that is up to them. That seems to be over market value but how much, really? What I would have a problem with is say a booster giving him 100K for an autograph which is so far over market value, its a pay for play.

It is over market value. If they were aiming to make money here, I think his autograpgh would be cheaper. Either someone at fanatics is a PSU booster, or they have set this up so wealthy alumn can pay they kid by purchasing 100 autographs online.

It is over market value. If they were aiming to make money here, I think his autograpgh would be cheaper. Either someone at fanatics is a PSU booster, or they have set this up so wealthy alumn can pay they kid by purchasing 100 autographs online.

Yeah, nothing is legit anymore. I get that conceptually selling your autograph is what the spirit of the whole NIL thing was intended for, but I just assume that anything can and will be exploited when it comes to college athletes receiving money.

I think autographs are just about one of the weirdest societal obsessions to begin with, but that's a different topic. I don't think many people would pay $55 for any Steelers' autograph, so to call it market value for some sophomore in college seems off.

Yeah, nothing is legit anymore. I get that conceptually selling your autograph is what the spirit of the whole NIL thing was intended for, but I just assume that anything can and will be exploited when it comes to college athletes receiving money.

I think autographs are just about one of the weirdest societal obsessions to begin with, but that's a different topic. I don't think many people would pay $55 for any Steelers' autograph, so to call it market value for some sophomore in college seems off.

It is off. The Steeler autographs at this same show are cheaper. It's simply a matter of deduction.... The kid is getting paid to stay at Penn State, but they are making it seem like he is selling his autograph to fans.

Guys getting paid for their autograph/likeness is probably the least objectionable aspect of NIL. In fact it is not objectionable to me at all.

But it is likely contrived, a way to raise a gigantic amount from big money boosters by letting them “buy” something at a grossly inflated value, that goes to buy other players, tossing a few token shekels from it to the player signing autographs in order to make it appear legit.

I’m fine with players getting that extra beer money without fear of being persecuted by the NCAA. But overall the system is filthier than ever

Last edited:
It is off. The Steeler autographs at this same show are cheaper. It's simply a matter of deduction.... The kid is getting paid to stay at Penn State, but they are making it seem like he is selling his autograph to fans.
But how many autograph signings are the current and former Steeler players doing in a year? How many is this kid doing? If an athlete either college, pro or retired only does only a few signings a year his price will be higher than someone who does them more often.

Also, college kids may want more money for doing these kind of signings, spending a weekend in a crummy Expo Center signing your name for slack jawed yocals is pretty lame.

I thought $55 was crazy, but when Craig Patrick is getting $35, it starts to make sense. The only people who are remotely relevant are asking over $100. But hey maybe you could kill 2 birds with one stone and get an autograph and an insurance policy from Edmund Nelson lol.

But how many autograph signings are the current and former Steeler players doing in a year? How many is this kid doing? If an athlete either college, pro or retired only does only a few signings a year his price will be higher than someone who does them more often.

Also, college kids may want more money for doing these kind of signings, spending a weekend in a crummy Expo Center signing your name for slack jawed yocals is pretty lame.

I find that pretty condecending. Lots of kids like meeting players and getting autographs.

The “courtesy of Fanatics” thing probably simply means that he will be allowed to sign his Bowman University Chrome cards that came out recently. If you go to WalMart or Target you will find those cards on the shelf.

Bowman is a Topps brand, which is now owned by Fanatics and often times players won’t sign cards in order to protect some kind of exclusive deal. He and Allar are among the NIL players in the set. Jurkovec is also in the same set, but is pictured in a BC uniform.

Ok, so, their CEO is from Eastern PA and went to Villanova so he could be one of those Villanova Basketball/PSU football fans. And its a private company, not public so they dont have shareholders to keep happy.

Ok, so, their CEO is from Eastern PA and went to Villanova so he could be one of those Villanova Basketball/PSU football fans. And its a private company, not public so they dont have shareholders to keep happy.

As I said, the kid isn't making money from signing the autographs. He's already been paid. Brandon Short put in some calls and found a wealthy fan to get him the money. In exchange, he will sit at a booth on his phone with autographs over priced so that he doesn't have to deal with a large amount of people. Success with Honor!

As I said, the kid isn't making money from signing the autographs. He's already been paid. Brandon Short put in some calls and found a wealthy fan to get him the money. In exchange, he will sit at a booth on his phone with autographs over priced so that he doesn't have to deal with a large amount of people. Success with Honor!

Son of a B. I thought this was a real legit NIL deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT