ADVERTISEMENT

Why the buyout

Fsgolfdr

Head Coach
Jan 6, 2012
If Vandy wanted Stallings gone why did Pitt pay them a penny ? Why didn't they say you want him gone we'll take him off your hands , but you'll need to pay a portion of his salary. You don't want to help us then you do whatever you need to do and we'll move on. That's better than paying him his salary after firing him isn't it ?

Reactions: sherepower
Stallings was pretty much in the exact situation as Jamie. Most likely, neither of them was going to be fired, but both had overstayed their welcome.

Us common folks will probably never know the sequence of how the events played out in either situation. Pitts administration obviously didn't want JD if I was TCU I'd have said the same to Pitt you don't want him we'll take him but forget about the money. Call their bluff. We don't know how many guys weren't interested in the Pitt job and their not going to tell us. Maybe Stallings was their 5 th choice who knows ?

Us common folks will probably never know the sequence of how the events played out in either situation. Pitts administration obviously didn't want JD if I was TCU I'd have said the same to Pitt you don't want him we'll take him but forget about the money. Call their bluff. We don't know how many guys weren't interested in the Pitt job and their not going to tell us. Maybe Stallings was their 5 th choice who knows ?

Zeise reported, but would not identify him, that at least one other coach was offered the job and declined it.

Reactions: fitzburgh
If Vandy wanted Stallings gone why did Pitt pay them a penny ? Why didn't they say you want him gone we'll take him off your hands , but you'll need to pay a portion of his salary. You don't want to help us then you do whatever you need to do and we'll move on. That's better than paying him his salary after firing him isn't it ?
The search firm, Vandy, and Stallings = Winner. Pitt = Loser in the deal

Pitt would have kept Dixon if they pulled that.

Stallings was pretty much in the exact situation as Jamie. Most likely, neither of them was going to be fired, but both had overstayed their welcome.

That seems pretty clearly incorrect. Many outlets reported/concluded that Stallings was likely to be fired. Nobody was saying that about Dixon.

That seems pretty clearly incorrect. Many outlets reported/concluded that Stallings was likely to be fired. Nobody was saying that about Dixon.

Correct, no way Dixon is fired. Would have made Pitt look ridiculous. I've read several places and heard a couple of interviews with Vandy folks. All have indicated Stallings was told to look for another job, and they gave him a little time to find one before firing him to help both sides save face. I would really like to know what the buyout was because if we paid anything near what TCU paid us, it is a joke.

Also, I would like to know exactly how the search firm is paid. Is there any relationship to the salary and buyout figures or is it a flat fee? If they are now the search firm for Vandy, are they getting credit for the buyout that Pitt paid? I don't think I've had as many questions about all of the coaching hires in my lifetime put together as I have about this one.

Maybe. It's impossible to say with any certainty. Like Pitt, Vandy has one of their top candidates that grew up in the shadows of the school. I'll be interested to see if he's their guy and if he accepts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT