ADVERTISEMENT

Why was the Nicholls game at noon?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
The Nicholls coach said in the presser that noon games are tough and he told his guys to come out and jump on them. Noon games kinda throw off your routine because there's no shootaround and the crowd is pretty dead. I'm not saying we win this game if its at 7 but Pitt could have scheduled it any time they wanted since ACCN didnt televise it. The schools control start times for ACCNX games. I dont know they would have scheduled such an early tip 60 hours after their ACC opener.

The Nicholls coach said in the presser that noon games are tough and he told his guys to come out and jump on them. Noon games kinda throw off your routine because there's no shootaround and the crowd is pretty dead. I'm not saying we win this game if its at 7 but Pitt could have scheduled it any time they wanted since ACCN didnt televise it. The schools control start times for ACCNX games. I dont know they would have scheduled such an early tip 60 hours after their ACC opener.
Coming off a big win, then play a good hungry opponent who was perceived as a bad team.
Recipe for a loss.
Not that they wouldn't have lost if the game was at 8 but as a night owl, I hated the schedule.
But JC may like to test his team.

Pitt plays 6 or 7 Noon games a year in ACC play so it’s not all that unusual and really not an excuse.

Reactions: PittPanther44
It’s Nichols State. The game time should mean nothing. We’re an ACC team. Stop with this nonsense. No one made excuses when Stallings lost to Navy or Montana State. ITS NICHOLS STATE. If you told me we’d lose to them after 2 capel recruiting classes I would’ve stopped rooting for Pitt.

Reactions: levance2
What is your source that Pitt decided the game time? It still could have been dictated by ACCN/ESPN for all we know.

Schools control game times (for all sports) for games which are not picked up by TV. Do you really think ESPN gives a crap what time a non-conference game of such a low-interest level tips off? Do you think they care when Pitt wrestling or Pitt volleyball start? Do you think they even want to waste the money on some employee scheduling game times for all ACC non-TV events? Of course Pitt got to pick its game time.

And BTW, Capel just referenced the noon start in his pre-RMU presser. When building a program, little things like this matter. You dont schedule a noon game 70 hours after such a big conference game.

Schools control game times (for all sports) for games which are not picked up by TV. Do you really think ESPN gives a crap what time a non-conference game of such a low-interest level tips off? Do you think they care when Pitt wrestling or Pitt volleyball start? Do you think they even want to waste the money on some employee scheduling game times for all ACC non-TV events? Of course Pitt got to pick its game time.

And BTW, Capel just referenced the noon start in his pre-RMU presser. When building a program, little things like this matter. You dont schedule a noon game 70 hours after such a big conference game.
Lol so he’s gone from taking blame, to blaming the players for getting kicked out of practice (which is his fault btw) to blaming a noon start?

Ok then why did Pitt make the decision to schedule its game at Noon without input from its head coach? That seems unlikely doesn’t it?

My guess is that we scheduled the game for noon precisely because we play several nooners during the course of the conference schedule. The best way for the players to understand the difference in pregame routine for a nooner as opposed to a night game is to actually play a nooner. So you schedule a game against a crappy team that you ought to beat anyway to start at noon. No big deal.

Unless your team forgets the game starts at noon and doesn't show up until 7:00.

Both teams start at noon.
Completely irrelevant.
I can’t even begin to imagine why you are beating this drum.

Both teams start at noon.
Completely irrelevant.
I can’t even begin to imagine why you are beating this drum.

Both coaches referenced the noon start. It has a small affect.

Also, I think it may have been scheduled because Nicholls came straight to Pittsburgh after the Illinois game and probably wanted to fly back early since they were on the road so long so Pitt obliged.

Both coaches referenced the noon start. It has a small affect.

Also, I think it may have been scheduled because Nicholls came straight to Pittsburgh after the Illinois game and probably wanted to fly back early since they were on the road so long so Pitt obliged.

Sure ... but since both teams start at noon ... why is it better for one team and not the other? It's a pretty simple question.

Please don't tell me because of the Florida State game on Wednesday.

Sure ... but since both teams start at noon ... why is it better for one team and not the other? It's a pretty simple question.

Please don't tell me because of the Florida State game on Wednesday.

Pitt had less time to prepare and no shootaround to go over stuff. Pitt players still had a hangover from an emotional win and had to get up to play in a dead arena. The arena still would have been dead at 7PM but with the shootaround and a full day to "get up" for the game, I think it could have made a very slight difference.

Pitt had less time to prepare and no shootaround to go over stuff. Pitt players still had a hangover from an emotional win and had to get up to play in a dead arena. The arena still would have been dead at 7PM but with the shootaround and a full day to "get up" for the game, I think it could have made a very slight difference.
Nicholls State had an emotional game too AND had to travel. Again, the excuses are null and void. Pitt plays a number of Noon games throughout the season (it’s the 2nd most common game time outside of 7 pm) so this is a non issue.

You are too much!

Pitt also had no practice the day before as Capel threw them out. Another reason I thought this was dumb announcing that.

Yes. Is there one that led to a loss to a Southland team that you haven’t defended?
Two points: (1) you have no basis to say that Capel kicking the team out of practice "led to a loss" on Saturday; and (2) I can't recall defending that decision. But go off, then.

Two points: (1) you have no basis to say that Capel kicking the team out of practice "led to a loss" on Saturday; and (2) I can't recall defending that decision. But go off, then.
Other than our coach mentioning it as proof they weren’t focused, youre correct. Which I don’t really care that he did it, I think it was odd he mentioned that he did it. Everything doesn’t have to be a look at me moment.

And now Pitt has to play at 6 pm in Moon Twp. They will be stuck in rush hour traffic on the parkway and are certain to come out flat because of that.

This would be an NCAA tournament team if they were able to play their games at decent times.:rolleyes:

And now Pitt has to play at 6 pm in Moon Twp. They will be stuck in rush hour traffic on the parkway and are certain to come out flat because of that.

This would be an NCAA tournament team if they were able to play their games at decent times.:rolleyes:

Literally laughed out loud at that last part. I remember one year during Dixon II though when we were like 20-2 during traditional TV windows and like 0-6 in non-traditional ones (like 9PM and others). I am estimating those records because I don't remember but I remember making a post on that.

Literally laughed out loud at that last part. I remember one year during Dixon II though when we were like 20-2 during traditional TV windows and like 0-6 in non-traditional ones (like 9PM and others). I am estimating those records because I don't remember but I remember making a post on that.
Toot Toot

Other than our coach mentioning it as proof they weren’t focused, youre correct. Which I don’t really care that he did it, I think it was odd he mentioned that he did it. Everything doesn’t have to be a look at me moment.
Not everything is a look-at-me moment. Though, I guess it's not surprising you think otherwise, considering you thought in the preseason that Capel appearing in a Pitt twitter video constituted him drawing too much attention to himself and away from his players.

Not everything is a look-at-me moment. Though, I guess it's not surprising you think otherwise, considering you thought in the preseason that Capel appearing in a Pitt twitter video constituted him drawing too much attention to himself and away from his players.
Everything is about Capel. Are you even watching this program???

I wonder what your thought process is when you come up with questions like this, 3 days after the fact?

I am. The fact that you see what the program puts out to the public and view it as Pitt making everything about Capel seems kinda like a "you" thing to me.
He quite literally makes everything about him. Can you imagine Dixon or Stallings doing these videos they put out?

He quite literally makes everything about him. Can you imagine Dixon or Stallings doing these videos they put out?
“These videos” are exactly the kind of thing that young recruits and fans love so no I couldn’t see Dixon or Stallings doing them.

“These videos” are exactly the kind of thing that young recruits and fans love so no I couldn’t see Dixon or Stallings doing them.
As shown by last year’s 11th best class in the ACC and this years 10th best class in the ACC? Do you think Jim Laranegga’s hype video put Timberlake over the edge?

As shown by last year’s 11th best class in the ACC and this years 10th best class in the ACC? Do you think Jim Laranegga’s hype video put Timberlake over the edge?
You know the situation he took over. Just be glad Pitt got a capable coach. After an 0-18 year, we are lucky Pitt didn’t hire a Steve Pikeill or Jim Christian-type coach.

You know the situation he took over. Just be glad Pitt got a capable coach. After an 0-18 year, we are lucky Pitt didn’t hire a Steve Pikeill or Jim Christian-type coach.
Lol. It’s an ACC job where we almost landed Danny Hurley. The idea that coaches would shy away from 3.6 million a year is one I can never understand. Literally no coach would’ve cared we were 0-18. Longer leash and your own team almost instantly.

Pikiell is a good coach and a great guy

Lol. It’s an ACC job where we almost landed Danny Hurley. The idea that coaches would shy away from 3.6 million a year is one I can never understand. Literally no coach would’ve cared we were 0-18. Longer leash and your own team almost instantly.

Pikiell is a good coach and a great guy
So you don’t like Capel or his recruiting, but you are touting Pikiell as a “great coach”? Ok.

So you don’t like Capel or his recruiting, but you are touting Pikiell as a “great coach”? Ok.
Took over a dreadful stonybrook programs that was winning 4-5 games a year and turned them into a perennial 20 game winner. That’s the definition of a great coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT