ADVERTISEMENT

Why would Carolina try a 2 point

In the pros, makes no sense to me. Play for OT in the pros

Wasn’t watching so I can’t really comment, but doesn’t seem to make much sense to me.

Maybe Rivera trying to make a statement to his team after last weeks beating, but seems pretty dumb on the surface.

Wasn’t watching so I can’t really comment, but doesn’t seem to make much sense to me.

Maybe Rivera trying to make a statement to his team after last weeks beating, but seems pretty dumb on the surface.

They went for it and missed it, I am like what lol

That is the new thing for coaches. Creating controversy where there doesn't need to be any. Maryland lost to Ohio State because they couldn't just kick the extra point.

That is the new thing for coaches. Creating controversy where there doesn't need to be any. Maryland lost to Ohio State because they couldn't just kick the extra point.

Totally agree with the Maryland decision and disagree with Carolina’s.

Maryland was a 14 point dog and was certainly the underdog in OT with the college format. They put up 51 points in the game and going for the win right there was their best chance to win mathematically.

Carolina an altogether different story. Sure the longer extra point and better chance of a miss makes it more worthwhile to go for 2, but the Panthers were the superior team and gave the inferior Lions who had been finding a way to lose all season a chance to win the game on one play. Carolina had all the momentum going for them there and for them to put the game on the line with one play was dumb.

Reactions: Pittx9

Maryland was a 14 point dog and was certainly the underdog in OT with the college format. They put up 51 points in the game and going for the win right there was their best chance to win mathematically.

Carolina an altogether different story. Sure the longer extra point and better chance of a miss makes it more worthwhile to go for 2, but the Panthers were the superior team and gave the inferior Lions who had been finding a way to lose all season a chance to win the game on one play. Carolina had all the momentum going for them there and for them to put the game on the line with one play was dumb.

We see this more times than not with coaches in both the NFL and college. Oklahoma State did it against Oklahoma last week trailing by 1 in the final minute. The Tennessee Titans did it against the Los Angeles Chargers in the final seconds down by 1 in London. I am convinced this is a fad among these coaches.

All of these teams should have gone for the tie, this is actually dumber than the Steelers going for 2 after touchdowns, something they have seemingly stopped doing.

Costly and dumb. I also see why Maryland did it, but didn't and don't see the reasoning for Carolina today.

Reactions: BFo8
I agree. Carolina’s decision to go for it today was very strange.

I don't know why Carolina didn't kick the point, but maybe the fact that they missed the extra point on the touchdown before the one at the end had something to do with it.

Reactions: FreddieFunk
Gano missed and extra point and a 34-yard FG so clearly Rivera had no confidence in him. That said, it’s still a strange decision.

Same. Add to that Matt Canada is essentially in a tryout with Maryland’s bowl hopes teetering on the edge. Go for 2, a chance for the win, and an opportunity to really get noticed. Or go to OT and every series consists of trying to move the ball 25 yards against a talented defense and defensively trying to stop an nfl prospect QB and speedy backs from 25 yards out. Easy choice.... and it essentially worked, the kid made an awful throw.

A couple thoughts.

- The Maryland decision was the right one. When you're the inferior team, playing for the tie is a losing proposition. With each OT, the odds of OSU stopping you, but you NOT stopping them, go up. In a tied situation, OSU has a >60% to win the next OT. If Maryland is 50/50 on making the 2pt, then they have a better chance to win by going for 2 than by playing another OT.

- If you are the superior team, as Carolina is to Detroit, you kick the XP and play another OT. In each OT, your chances are >50% of winning because you are better than the other team.

- If you are a team that is very good at 2p conversions... say 60%.... you will average 1.2 points after TD if you go for 2. The Steelers are a 60% 2p conversion team the past several years... meaning they score 7.2 points per TD when they go for 2. They score 6.95 points per TD when they kick. For this reason, it is a SMART play for the Steelers to go for 2 on every TD early in games. Over time, they will average more points. In the second half, when time starts to become an issue, then the score should dictate when you go for 1 or 2. If the Steelers used advanced analytics as they should, they'd go for 2 on every first half TD.

Take your pt.

Kick the ball thru them there uprights Sonny.

Leroy get us the ball back.

Leon we got the ball back go get us some more pts to win the game!

That's how its played for real!

Take your pt.

Kick the ball thru them there uprights Sonny.

Leroy get us the ball back.

Leon we got the ball back go get us some more pts to win the game!

That's how its played for real!
Who are Leroy and Leon?

Probably guys kneeling during the anthem!

Why are you watching NFL? I thought you and the Mrs, gave that up.

Reactions: PittPanther44
the only time it ever made sense to go for 2 was in the old days in college football when there was no overtime and you didn't want to play for a tie. Like Nebraska-Miami in 1984 Orange Bowl. With the overtime in effect there is no reason not to play for a tie and take it to the next session. Ohio State gave up 51 points to Maryland, they had not proven they could stop Maryland, and Maryland scored on just 2 plays in the overtime. And if I am not mistaken the rule is you always play for the tie at home and the win on the road. So Maryland screwed up by going for 2 AND they screwed up by not running the ball again, as they had just gone 25 yards extremely easy.

Carolina should have kicked the extra point but basically they put the game in the hands of their franchise qb and he fked up. Cam Newton acknowledged in the press conference that he was to blame and he was right.

Underdogs play to win at the end. If you have more talent you play for OT. Football and hoops. Take a three to beat Duke rather than risk it in overtime

Reactions: UPitt '89
Underdogs play to win at the end. If you have more talent you play for OT. Football and hoops. Take a three to beat Duke rather than risk it in overtime

They were not the underdog, so it was dumb, should have played for the OT, that's what I thought.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT