ADVERTISEMENT

Why?

Got sick from eating a Primanti's sandwich and never wants to see another one ever in his life! So he's owtahear...

Why did Trey McGowans want to leave Pitt?

On behalf of all of the earlier respondees in this thread (of which I was one), please accept my apologies for all of the smart *ss (but mostly funny) responses, since you asked a totally legit question.

Seriously, one theory I will offer is that the distance from home may have taken a toll on Trey. I was told back in September that Trey's family and those close to him couldn't believe he chose to go to Pitt in the first place instead of going somewhere in the south, closer to home.

Beyond that, there were obvious chemistry issues with the team, and even Trey. It might be as simple as it didn't feel right for him to play here anymore. He might want to be a point guard and he's not going to do that here with X. And transfers are much much more the norm in College Hoops now than the exception.

According to his reported public statement to the sports press--He wants to play point guard somewhere where he can start at that position.

His father said the same to the press. After praising Capel and staff, reiterated that he went to Pitt to develop as a PG, but it didn’t work out that way. I, too, apologize to the OP for the smartass responses.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
reiterated that he went to Pitt to develop as a PG, but it didn’t work out that way.

I find this quite hard to fathom, with Trey's inability to distribute the basketball and low bb IQ how does that translate into anything close to a PG?

I find this quite hard to fathom, with Trey's inability to distribute the basketball and low bb IQ how does that translate into anything close to a PG?

Making too much of this, IMHO. Both XJ and Trey are more suited to playing point guard than shooting guard. Both are slashers who don’t shoot the 3-ball well. Pitt was forced to play them together because it had no better option to get both on the floor for maximum minutes. Therefore, Trey was being played out of position. As a result he appeared to fans to have “a low B-ball IQ” and as a 2 guard it wasn’t his job to distribute the ball so he got criticized for that as well.

The poor decision making, forced circus shots, and sloppy at play times is what we saw in both trey and x. Would we have been any better with trey at the point?
he will probably become a huge star somewhere else, because that’s our luck.

And because he’s really talented and athletic

He is very athletic and has shown the ability to get into the lane and finish but he doesn't understand how to play the game of basketball and he is a bad shooter. Now, he is still young and has a lot of potential so its possible he gets better at reading the game and shooting. If he does, he will be really good. If he doesn't, he will continue to be Cam Wright.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I understand and appreciate your point. But in the 1/2 court offense I saw nothing to suggest he had a knack for heady play and good passes, whatever. Perhaps I was watching too much purely as a fan....

Here ya. Just personally believe Trey was trying to do what they wanted the off guard to do but lacked the jump shooting skills to be successful in that role. IMHO, he kept getting his major minutes for his defensive contributions and mostly because the roster lacked a better overall alternative with Murphy not being the 3-point savior hoped for and Murphy also being a defensive liability in ACC competition.

He is very athletic and has shown the ability to get into the lane and finish but he doesn't understand how to play the game of basketball and he is a bad shooter. Now, he is still young and has a lot of potential so its possible he gets better at reading the game and shooting. If he does, he will be really good. If he doesn't, he will continue to be Cam Wright.
Your opinion is silly

And because he’s really talented and athletic
Did you ever have the feeling that it’s time to go and you want a change? Then you start trying to come up with reasons or are being asked why, when the feeling is real strong and you know it’s time but you don’t know why?

Maybe he just wanted to leave a while ago and hoped it would change, but it didn’t. Maybe the reclass didn’t work out. Maybe he committed to Pitt too soon without thinking it through. He gets a do over. Good for him. I hope he does well. I’ll be rooting for him

But I’d rather he be gone than be here and want to be somewhere else. Look at Larry Bird. Was it Knights fault he transferred?

Did you ever have the feeling that it’s time to go and you want a change? Then you start trying to come up with reasons or are being asked why, when the feeling is real strong and you know it’s time but you don’t know why?

Maybe he just wanted to leave a while ago and hoped it would change, but it didn’t. Maybe the reclass didn’t work out. Maybe he committed to Pitt too soon without thinking it through. He gets a do over. Good for him. I hope he does well. I’ll be rooting for him

But I’d rather he be gone than be here and want to be somewhere else. Look at Larry Bird. Was it Knights fault he transferred?
I’m not begrudging Trey for transferring - nor blaming Capel

I’m simply pointing out that those throwing shade or saying addition by subtraction / are beyond silly

he’s a really good player who is going to be able to pick his spot.

I’m not begrudging Trey for transferring - nor blaming Capel

I’m simply pointing out that those throwing shade or saying addition by subtraction / are beyond silly

he’s a really good player who is going to be able to pick his spot.
The Fireballz challenge was taking you off ignore and trying to last the entire two week quarantine period. I lost.

Addition by subtraction. Just like Trey leaving THIS team. I’m sure he’ll be a good player someplace else with different surrounding cast on a team that has proven leaders than can guide his mopey butt into playing intelligently.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT